PDA

View Full Version : HH bugscreen window

2Questions
02-12-2007, 18:56
Is there a way to make a removeable section of bug netting on a Hennessey ULB Asym? Sure would be nice to have the area above my head removeable when its not needed, (winter camping and no bug time of the year). I've struggled with condensation during subfreezing temps sticking to the bugnet, then getting my quilt wet. What's the answer? Anybody try creating a removable section of bugnet??

Just Jeff
02-12-2007, 18:58
Put a zipper around the perimeter at the head end. Just unzip and fold it back. Or zip the whole thing off.

2Questions
02-12-2007, 19:02
It sounds like a simple fix, but I don't think that is something I can do. Now if I can get my wife......oh, forget that, no chance. Is there anybody out there that does these kinds of alterations?

Just Jeff
02-12-2007, 19:24
Check with any seamstress to see if they sew zippers...it shouldn't be a tough project once you grab the cajones to start cutting up a $100+ piece of gear! (Yikes)

blackbishop351
02-12-2007, 19:30
It sounds like a simple fix, but I don't think that is something I can do. Now if I can get my wife......oh, forget that, no chance. Is there anybody out there that does these kinds of alterations?

You might also find somebody on one of the Forums who'd be nice enough to do it for you :p ....then there's always Specialty Outdoors:

http://specialtyoutdoors.com/default.asp

I haven't worked with them personally, but I've heard good things.

Hokey Pokey
02-12-2007, 20:09
I've used MoonBow gear to make some hip belt pockets. They can make just about anything that you can design. You might want to give them a call.

http://www.moonbowgear.com/0allaboutmoonbow/allaboutmoonbow.html

2Questions
02-12-2007, 20:44
Thanks for the responses. The fact of the matter is, my wife is a great seamstress. She's had her own business for almost 20 years now. Just Jeff, you hit the nail on the head, she won't attempt to put a zipper in my HH. No cajones I guess for this project. She'll make anything I ask her, stuff sacks and covers and mitten covers all out of silnylon, gear pockets and gear lofts, tree huggers, and gadget bags,....but she says no to the zipper on my HH. Oh well, I'll have to do something fantastic for her so she will owe me!!LOL

jakethesnake
02-12-2007, 21:22
You know Valentines is this week, good time to butter her up.

Just Jeff
02-12-2007, 21:36
Well, have her make you a brand new HH-style DIY with a zippered bug net, then... :D

titanium_hiker
02-12-2007, 22:27
cajones is boxes. :) I think the word you're looking for is cojones.

ooh- and hammock related... sounds like sewing netting is complicated, any pointers? Personally, I would hem the net, putting the edge in a strip of fabric (kind of like the grosgrain ribbon on a maccat tarp) and then fiddle with the zipper.

TH

blackbishop351
02-12-2007, 22:40
cajones is boxes. :) I think the word you're looking for is cojones.

ooh- and hammock related... sounds like sewing netting is complicated, any pointers? Personally, I would hem the net, putting the edge in a strip of fabric (kind of like the grosgrain ribbon on a maccat tarp) and then fiddle with the zipper.

TH

I'll let HE answer for sure, but I think he just used rolled hems for most of his bug bivy. As far as I understood, the only places he added grosgrain were some of the stress points around the zipper area.

Coffee
02-13-2007, 00:27
On my bivy I just put GGR to reinforce stress points on the zipper so they wouldn't open to far. I put one seam in the edges, rolled the fabric aroung that seam. Then added another seam. It looks like to it hold up.

I was thinking about how I would do that. I might try this at some point so to do it. I think it would not be too hard.

I would pin the zipper in place all the way around, open the zipper, cut the netting where the zipper opens, and then sew the netting into the netting. I think that as long as you are gentle with your gear, it would hold. You could row the edges of the netting to give it a little strength. It would just shorten the netting a little. Mine is loose to start with. Check this though.

Or you could completly cut it off, sew the zipper onto the hammock, measure, then sew the netting accordingly. If needed you could make a second netting out of noseeum for pretty cheap.

BTW, if the DIY HH thing happens post directions. That is on my just because DIY list.

Cut the $100 dollar piece of gear. It's fun.

Just Jeff
02-13-2007, 07:02
...That is on my just because DIY list....

Haha...how many DIY lists do you have? A just because list, an extended list....

The Breeze
02-13-2007, 08:47
working on my tarp right now but a zipper I have so it will be nexted got a number7 sleeping bag zipper with closed teeth pic to come :eek: :D

Coffee
02-13-2007, 08:52
Haha...how many DIY lists do you have? A just because list, an extended list....

Right now 3. A before my hike list, an extended post hike list, and a just because it would be cool list.

My grandma just picked up a new 1950s-ish Singer for me. I would hate to see it go to waste.