PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Clips - Strap/Tree Angle?

Eradicator
09-09-2012, 18:22
Just received my first pair of Dutch Clips and gave them a try yesterday. The diagram that came with them suggested positioning the clip to the side of the tree, so the strap comes through tangential to the outer edge. It seemed nearly impossible to get the clip to stay in this position, though. When I'd tug on the end to tighten it up, or when I'd load up the hammock, the loop would swivel around the tree and the clip would wind up more or less centered again.

Any tips to get it to stay put? Is the force on the strap/tree/clip significantly different in either orientation? Do I even need to worry about this?

MAD777
09-09-2012, 19:21
I set up as you mentioned to keep the strap as straight as possible. But it does move partially around toward the front of the tree when I get in. I don't worry about it. I think that the point is not to rig it the other way with a 90 degree bend in the strap.

Rain Man
09-09-2012, 20:25
In my opinion, if I understand what you said about those instructions, the clip would act like a pulley and double the force on the strap, stitching, tree, and clip. Not good.

I like the LEAST force on my components as possible, so I make sure my straps are centered on the trees, vis-a-vis the line to the hammock.

Perhaps I misunderstand, though?

Rain Man

Dutch
09-10-2012, 00:54
Although you set it up so the supporting webbing is straight, it will move to center as you said. That is just fine. We exaggerated it to make it clear but it may have led to more questions. It would only be wrong if you set it up the
Opposite way so the supporting webbing makes a hard angle. That is hard on the whole suspension.