PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy-style Asymmetrical Hammock Pattern?

headchange4u
02-14-2007, 14:40
I have really wanting to mod my HH by removing the bug net or adding a zipper, basically turning it into a top loading hammock. I have several mods in mind, but I really don't want to start cutting up a $100+ piece of gear.

I figure I have 2 options: Buy another HH just to mod or find a pattern and build what I want from scratch. I really don't want to shell out the money for another HH just to cut up and possible destroy. I would really like to start from the ground up, adding only the features I want, and since I have a lot of fabric I could use, it would be much cheaper.

Does anyone know where I could find the basic hammock body pattern that I could work with? I know there are some pictures in the Patent database, but I can't seem to ever view the pictures no matter what computer or browser I use.

Coffee
02-14-2007, 14:59
I would start here (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220020042951%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20020042951&RS=DN/20020042951). Not that I have thought about it or anything, but nothing like going straight to the source.

The pics are not showing up on my PC, it I have seen them there before. They may be in .pdf form.

blackbishop351
02-14-2007, 15:11
I think if I were going to do this mod, here's how I'd go about it:

Sew the zipper into the hammock, with both halves together. That way you KNOW everything will be lined up when you're done. It'll be kind of a pain because you'll have to get the machine in through the slit, but I think it's doable. T-Back said he did his that way.

Once it's sewn in, THEN open the zipper a little at a time and cut the netting under the center of the teeth. This should leave some material on each side.

Roll the extra material over and sew a couple more lines. I think I'd add a flat strip of grosgrain on top too, for looks and strength.

I don't think it'd be THAT hard of a project. I may get some zipper soon and try it, especially since I don't use my HH much anymore. I think if the mod were successful, I might be a lot more tempted to hang it than I am now.

headchange4u
02-14-2007, 15:26
HE,

I have seen that patent, but is for the non-asym hammock.The patents are available in .pdf you have to pay for them. I bought the one for the asymmetrical hammock but it doesn't really give any dimensions that I can work with that I have noticed. I have only skimmed through the document.

BB,

I know I could do the mods pretty easily, but I really not wanting to mess with my HH like that. I would rather try and buy one that has seen a little abuse and may not be in the best shape if I wanted to mod a HH.

Since I am wanting a top loading hammock the slit in the HH would be eliminated.

I really like the shape and comfort of my HH, but the more I use my zHammock the more I realize that the slit entry on the HH, while innovative, is becoming a little bit of a hassle.

Redtail
02-14-2007, 15:33
I couldn't get the pictures to show up except using I.E. and hitting Refresh every page. I didn't find a picture showing the shape they started with though.

I've tried pulling opposite corners of each end out some before whipping (gathering each end so one corner is pulled out more than the other). This gave me more room along that diagonal but it doesn't seem as pronounced as on my Hennessy. They start with a parallelogram shape vs. a rectangle shape as H.E. illustrates here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156

The dimensions of Hennessy's parallelograms are on the Comparison Chart page (second chart)
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm

headchange4u
02-14-2007, 16:23
I've tried pulling opposite corners of each end out some before whipping (gathering each end so one corner is pulled out more than the other). This gave me more room along that diagonal but it doesn't seem as pronounced as on my Hennessy. They start with a parallelogram shape vs. a rectangle shape as H.E. illustrates here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156

The dimensions of Hennessy's parallelograms are on the Comparison Chart page (second chart)
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm

I have tried HE whipping technique and it does produce a more asymmetrical style hammock that the standard Speer-type, but you are correct when you say that it still doesn't give that HH "feel". My zHammock with side tieouts (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=475) gives me the most asym shape of any other method I have tried.

I am thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, that starting with a HH shape will allow me save a little weight in the area of the hammock body. With a Speer-type hammock you start with a rectangular piece of fabric and then lie in it asymmetrically. In my mind that rectangular shape means extra fabric in the hammock body that may not be needed. If I start with a HH style asym pattern and size it to fit me it would eliminate that "extra fabric" and allow me to add things like zippers and stuff without worrying so much about the weight I am adding.

I could be totally wrong in thinking this and any weight savings might be very small, but I got it in my head to try and make a DIY HH-style hammock and now the idea is stuck in there:o .

blackbishop351
02-14-2007, 16:29
Go for it! Definitely post pix too!

I don't know that you're actually using the material better somehow (with respect to weight savings) in an asym. I think there may be more unused body material in my ULB than in my Speer-type.

Smee
02-14-2007, 19:01
Guys,

If you spread any of your Hennessy Hammocks out on the ground and measure the material you will find that the hammock bottom itself is actually a simple rectangle. That's why our quilts work. We're matching a rectangular quilt to a rectangular hammock bottom, gathering the ends, and connecting them at the a-sym tie-out points. What makes the hammock a-sym is the cut of the no-see-um netting and the placement of the two a-sym tie-outs. It's that simple.

Just Jeff
02-14-2007, 19:06
Are all models that way? I remember reading something in the patent a while back that made it sound like the fabric was cut asym, and it's also cut on a bias. But I'm not gonna take mine apart to find out.

Frolicking Dino
02-14-2007, 21:22
Here's the patent on the asym (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=15&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=hennessy.INNM.&OS=in/hennessy&RS=IN/hennessy)

Coffee
02-14-2007, 23:42
I think there would have to be an asym cut. When I look at mine, there is not a bunching of material at the ends.

I was thinking that a retangle with an asym cut tapering to a blunt point has promise. The tapering could help hold the edges opener and make the hammock lay flater and more asym. This would take away from the bath tub feel of a speer.

slowhike
02-14-2007, 23:43
here's a picture of a net-less HH in action.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9020027.JPG
the guy in the hammock closet to the camera is in one that i cut the net off of.
he likes it.

blackbishop351
02-15-2007, 00:04
I think there would have to be an asym cut. When I look at mine, there is not a bunching of material at the ends.

I was thinking that a retangle with an asym cut tapering to a blunt point has promise. The tapering could help hold the edges opener and make the hammock lay flater and more asym. This would take away from the bath tub feel of a speer.

I always assumed they cut a parallelogram and then only gathered two corners....I might be way off there, though. Seems like it might not be strong enough?

headchange4u
02-15-2007, 09:00
I always assumed they cut a parallelogram and then only gathered two corners....I might be way off there, though. Seems like it might not be strong enough?

I kinda thought the same thing. Smee's comment is going to make me take a closer look at my HH.

Frolicking Dino
02-15-2007, 10:17
Here is what Hennessy has to say in the patent:
The bed can be formed from a rectangular sheet of material, but a non-rectangular asymmetric quadrilateral shape is preferred, as asymmetric shapes improve the opportunities to adjust the size and proportion of the hammock to differences in the human anatomy..........

In one form of the invention, the shape of the short sides of the fabric bed can be adjusted before folding. After the length of hammock fabric and the ridge line length are established, the shape of the fabric across the bottom of the hammock can be adjusted by changing the shape of the ends of the fabric A concave angle or curve cut into one or both ends would have the effect of raising the middle of the hammock relative to its sides. A convex angle or curve cut into the ends of the hammock would have the effect of lowering the bottom of the hammock relative to its sides. ..............
In another embodiment, the distance that the lateral tension points are offset in opposite directions on either side of the suspension axis, and the resulting angle and leg lengths on each side of the suspension axis are also important factors determining the form and comfort of an asymmetrical hammock.

A further refinement of the asymmetrically shaped hammock is to use asymmetrically shaped pieces of material for the fabric bed. The adjustment of the lengths of each of the fabric bed's sides allows further refinements of shape to improve comfort, fit and economy. To improve balance for the occupant, making one side of the hammock longer than the other allows the occupant's lower torso, which generally weighs less than the upper torso, to project further to one side of the hammock and still remain balanced. Location of the occupant is an especially important factor when dealing with balance and weight distribution, which differ between men and women.

A second benefit of adjusting the lengths of the sides of the hammock is that less fabric is required at the end of the hammock where the occupant's body is narrower, that is, in the area around his legs and feet. This also results in a weight savings of the finished product.

After establishing the direction of the diagonal axis of the hammock bed, because the occupant will lie only in one direction on this new axis and will not be as comfortable lying diagonally in the other direction, it may be advantageous to increase the number of folds of fabric on one side of the suspension axis and to decrease the number of folds of fabric on the other side of the suspension axis in the reverse order at each end of the hammock bed to make better use of the fabric on the side of the hammock which will not be used by the occupant. When the number of folds of fabric is increased on the side of the hammock intended for the occupant, usable space will increase on that side and will provide an improvement in comfort for the occupant.

For comfort, the material used for the bed preferably is a stretchy nylon or similar fabric. Nylon fabric stretches approximately 11%-15% and when an occupant moves onto the diagonal across these elastic fibers, these fibers stretch around the bulges of the anatomy and also support the concave areas of the torso, such as the lower spine.

headchange4u
02-15-2007, 10:37
Here is what Hennessy has to say in the patent:

A second benefit of adjusting the lengths of the sides of the hammock is that less fabric is required at the end of the hammock where the occupant's body is narrower, that is, in the area around his legs and feet. This also results in a weight savings of the finished product.

I guess I need to sit down and really read through the patent.:o I'm glad to see that I was on the right track in thinking that a asym pattern in going to save some weight.

tsumrall
02-15-2007, 16:13
To see the images (TIFF) you will need a browser plugin.

http://www.alternatiff.com/

Tim

Frolicking Dino
02-15-2007, 19:11
Thanks Tim. I didn't realize the others were not able to view the pics. It is pretty clear from figures 14+ that the hammock cut is not a rectangle.

headchange4u
02-16-2007, 08:53
I will try the program linked to above, but the patent website uses some sort of Quicktime plugin. I can usually see the first couple of pics and then only half a pic and then no pic. It's a wierd problem that happens on any computer or with any browser I have tried.

EDIT:
I installed Altertiff and dissociated .tiff files within Quicktime and still no luck. I think it's the website.

southmark
02-16-2007, 12:56
If anyone would like a copy of the illustrations for the HH patent, let me know and I will email them to you.

Coffee
02-16-2007, 13:00
I was not able to see them at first. I unstalled the link above, and now I can.

I think they are helpful to show the point. Put they do not give any dimensions or anything. They just show someone on a rectangle there the tieouts look to be on opposite corners.

I think a reverse engineering of the HH would give better results. But a tear appart, but a close inspection. Maybe taking apart the whipping cover at most.

Grinder
02-17-2007, 08:35
Patrick, of Kick *** Quilts, has a pattern, with dimensions posted on his how to make your own underquilt page.

http://www.kickassquilts.com/Make1.html

Maybe this will help your with the top. I don't know if hennessy's come in sizes.

Tom

Jazilla
02-17-2007, 10:49
Southmark,can you email me. I am going to try making an asym hammock and I think it a pttern might help in design.

wilsonbmw
02-17-2007, 14:06
First, let me give you some justification for taking your HH apart. I am sure that you have gotten your moneys worth out of it. I know you have used it enough to have enjoyed it. Plus, the knowledge that you have gained, and will gain, from it is worth the price you paid. I have seen your homemade stuff in the gallery and know you can make some quality gear. Another reason for not worying about taking it apart is that you won't need it anymore. If you do make your dream hammock that has all the qualities of the HH but in a more customized and lighter version, will you ever need the HH again?
Secondly, I think that with effort and patience you can take it apart in such a way that it can be put back together. If you rip the threads with a seam ripper or even just a razor blade, you can take it apart without destroying it. I have looked at mine with the thoughts of taking it apart for the same reasons you have. The only hard part I see is the way the hole has been "melted" through for the supports. But again, I think that parience and a razor blade can take care of that.
Thirdly, I want you to do it so I don't have to. :D I don't have the sewing skills (yet). And I haven't even spent a whole night in mine yet, and I want to use it at least once. I did only pay $35 for it, but I want to try it so I can have a baseline to compare my homemade hammocks with.
So, come on! Go for it! And make sure you share your findings.

headchange4u
02-17-2007, 14:24
I took the time to read through the patent but it really didn't help much. There was a chart with some dimensions listed that I thought I would be able to make a pattern from but after a quick measurement of my HH I realized that the rough dimensions I got from the hammock did not match any of the measurements in the patent.

I really can't destroy my HH. It's my primary setup at the moment. My zHammock setup is about 99% done and will be ready to test once I fix the hammock sock that I screwed up and make a second suspension system.

I am leaning more and more toward buying a second, used, HH and reverse engineering it.

wilsonbmw
02-17-2007, 14:39
Great! Now I have to take mine apart. With all my advice to you, now I talked myself into hacking mine up. It might take a few days to work up the nerve though. I will let you know how it goes.

Coffee
02-17-2007, 14:53
You could probibly lay it on a piece of ripstop and trace out the outline. Leave a little extra fudge room on the ends. Cut it out and see what you can come up with.

There is a lot of info out there on whipping. Just try different ways on the ends.

That should get you pretty close.

Great now I want to try it.

wilsonbmw
02-17-2007, 17:03
Well, so much for a couple of days. I took apart one end. The head end. The process of melting the fabric that they use definitely works. It took a lot of work to get it all apart. It will be a while before I come to any firm conclusions. And I don't think I will do any seam ripping on the bug netting. So far, it seems that part of the success of the hammock's design is in his folding pattern for gathering the ends. It is fairly complicated and I took a sharpie and numbered all the folds so I could get it back together again. Also, once unfolded you can see how the holes that go through show the pattern of how the edges and center are at different lengths. Like when you pull the edge corners out a little before whipping a speers type hammock. I will post pics later, and more info.

headchange4u
02-17-2007, 19:46
You could probibly lay it on a piece of ripstop and trace out the outline. Leave a little extra fudge room on the ends. Cut it out and see what you can come up with.

There is a lot of info out there on whipping. Just try different ways on the ends.

That should get you pretty close.

Great now I want to try it.

I noticed when inspecting the hammock that instead of gathering the fabric at each end the edges of the hammock are rolled and then whipped. Take a look at your HH to see what I am talking about.

This "rolled edge" technique might work on a Speer-type hammock with favorable results. You may even be able to roll one edge more than the other to get an asymmetrical shape. I am going to experiment with this when I get a chance.

I also noticed something else about the HH that is interesting. The hammock is sewn together for a short distance at the head and foot end. You can see what I am talking about in slowhike's picture of a HH with the net removed:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/netlesshh.jpg
This would create a cone effect on each end that is bound to influence the shape a of the HH.

The more I look at this HH the more I start to realize it would be hard to replicate the feel of this hammock in a DIY version unless you take it apart the HH to see how it was put together. I wish I could find one for sell that already has the netting removed. Then it would just be a matter of unwhipping it and taking measurements.

Coffee
02-18-2007, 00:58
Good catch headchange. I haven't noticed that. I am going to make the hammock I am going to take from my thru soon. I think my asym folding and cut before was close. I think this could get it a lot closer.

I will have to look at mine tomorrow and work on something for the RRG trip next weekend.

tsumrall
02-18-2007, 18:57
Using the 4 side measurements and the alpha angle for patent image 18, I back fiddled the rest of the lengths and angles. I overlayed it on standard material. Angles other than alpha not shown but I have them if needed. I can plot any point and scale to any length.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/7/asymx.gif

Here it is overlayed on the actual patent image (in red). I expect the patent image has been distorted or it's not really 41 degrees but rather represents it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/7/asymoverlay.gif

Here's the same but scaled down and rotated to fit standard material. Long center length went from 103.5 down to 96.5. Easy to double the material but maybe not enough length. I'm only 5'6" but I believe I need 102" min. (76 + 24 +2) . Please correct me if this is wrong. Close up (macro) images of the 4 connecting ends on a HH would be very nice :)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/7/scaleddown.gif

On a grid with a 5' 6" stick dude.

How real is his angle?

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/7/asymgrid.gif

Coffee
02-18-2007, 23:26
Good work. I would want to get out my hammock and look at it. I think it is a little different where the knee side tie out is.

stoikurt
02-19-2007, 11:55
I noticed when inspecting the hammock that instead of gathering the fabric at each end the edges of the hammock are rolled and then whipped. Take a look at your HH to see what I am talking about.

This "rolled edge" technique might work on a Speer-type hammock with favorable results. You may even be able to roll one edge more than the other to get an asymmetrical shape. I am going to experiment with this when I get a chance.

I also noticed something else about the HH that is interesting. The hammock is sewn together for a short distance at the head and foot end. You can see what I am talking about in slowhike's picture of a HH with the net removed:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/netlesshh.jpg
This would create a cone effect on each end that is bound to influence the shape a of the HH.

The more I look at this HH the more I start to realize it would be hard to replicate the feel of this hammock in a DIY version unless you take it apart the HH to see how it was put together. I wish I could find one for sell that already has the netting removed. Then it would just be a matter of unwhipping it and taking measurements.

I think what you see in the picture is the end of the HH Undercover sewn together and not the hammock itself. I have an undercover and it looks exactly like what's in the picture. It's also baggy under the hammock. If it was the hammock it would be taught.

Jazilla
02-19-2007, 12:00
I think what you see in the picture is the end of the HH Undercover sewn together and not the hammock itself. I have an undercover and it looks exactly like what's in the picture. It's also baggy under the hammock. If it was the hammock it would be taught.

Stoikurt, its the hammock material that is sewn here. Its where the bug net is attached giving the bug net its diamond shape. I know, I took a look at my HHULB this weekend. I was doing some modifications to it.

Coffee
02-19-2007, 14:49
I just got mine out and looked at it. Jazilla is right it is the undercover shown.

The rolls in the fabric you are talking about is what I think gives it the open feeling and not bunched at the ends like a normal hammock. They seem to start about a foot or so from the end. I'm going to incorporate them into my last asym hammock tonight and see what happens. I think they give more girth to the hammock, giving the flatter feel then a speer.

One problem I see is the whipping and holding the ends from coming off.

I cut the cover off of the ends of my HH. Just a wiretie holding the cover in place. It is rolled and then heat sealed with the sprectra running through the heat sealed ends.

I'm thinking that rolling the bottom fabric will gather the ends enough that I will not need to fold the ends much more. The HH's fabric does not go to a point. The folding and gathering up of it make it look like one. Hopefully there will be enough seam left to hold the whipping from sliding off. If not I'll add a seam.

headchange4u
02-19-2007, 15:06
That may be the undercover in the pic but the ends of the hammock are sewn for a short distance, like Jazilla said, it's what gives the netting the diamond shape. If you have a HH to look at you can confirm this.

Coffee
02-19-2007, 15:27
A little bit, but not that much. A side note, I just did a quick test. I think I am close to the HH feel with what I was doing before and adding the rolling. I just need to get how much to pull out the edges vs the middle to get the hammock shape without the shoulder squeeze.

slowhike
02-19-2007, 15:51
i think my friend jerome did have the under cover on his HH come to think of it, but i can't remember for sure.
i'll call & see if he remembers... but yall that have a HH to look at, may figure it out before that.

stoikurt
02-19-2007, 15:58
I don't dispute that the HH may be sewn a little at the end to accommodate the netting. But the picture is definately an Undercover. And it's wrong side out based on the corner (right below his knee) where the elastic side tie outs go. Right side out would have the corner up near his shoulder.

slowhike
02-19-2007, 16:03
I don't dispute that the HH may be sewn a little at the end to accommodate the netting. But the picture is definately an Undercover. And it's wrong side out based on the corner (right below his knee) where the elastic side tie outs go. Right side out would have the corner up near his shoulder.

yep, i believe you're right. i can't get him out there to use it enough to know which way it goes on:p

blackbishop351
02-19-2007, 16:15
I find my homemade design(s) way more comfortable than my HH...guess I'm in the minority here.

jakethesnake
02-19-2007, 16:58
I find my homemade design(s) way more comfortable than my HH...guess I'm in the minority here.

I would agree, but it would be nice to know what shape the HH is so that I can know what I can change to get different characteristics.

wilsonbmw
02-20-2007, 15:40
Guys,

If you spread any of your Hennessy Hammocks out on the ground and measure the material you will find that the hammock bottom itself is actually a simple rectangle. That's why our quilts work. We're matching a rectangular quilt to a rectangular hammock bottom, gathering the ends, and connecting them at the a-sym tie-out points. What makes the hammock a-sym is the cut of the no-see-um netting and the placement of the two a-sym tie-outs. It's that simple.

I have definitely voided the warranty on my HH Explorer. I took it apart at both ends and ripped the stiching down one side, seperating the bug netting from the hammock body. The fabric is a rectangle. The ends are pretty much bunched up straight across. The unique shape comes from 3 things as far as I can tell. The main factor is the bug netting. It is what is cut into the asym parrallelogram shape. It forces the edges of the hamock to fold at the tie outs. The second thing is mentioned in another post in this thread. The way the corners are sewn together and overlapped with the bug netting at the ends before the ends are bunched. The third technique used to make the unique hang is the excellent folding/bunching method. It really gives a nice flat center portion and helps with getting rid of shoulder squeeze I think.

If you are going to remove the netting from a HH, leave the reinforced triangles at the tie out points. This might help it keep some of its shape.

Now lets see if I can put it back together. If not, I guess I will be forced to make my own HH clone. (which I am planning on trying anyway)

headchange4u
02-20-2007, 16:22
I have definitely voided the warranty on my HH Explorer. I took it apart at both ends and ripped the stiching down one side, seperating the bug netting from the hammock body. The fabric is a rectangle. The ends are pretty much bunched up straight across. The unique shape comes from 3 things as far as I can tell. The main factor is the bug netting. It is what is cut into the asym parrallelogram shape. It forces the edges of the hamock to fold at the tie outs. The second thing is mentioned in another post in this thread. The way the corners are sewn together and overlapped with the bug netting at the ends before the ends are bunched. The third technique used to make the unique hang is the excellent folding/bunching method. It really gives a nice flat center portion and helps with getting rid of shoulder squeeze I think.

If you are going to remove the netting from a HH, leave the reinforced triangles at the tie out points. This might help it keep some of its shape.

Now lets see if I can put it back together. If not, I guess I will be forced to make my own HH clone. (which I am planning on trying anyway)

It would be absolutely wonderful if you could take some detailed pics and measurements before you put it back together. You would save me a world of headache. You can email me the pics if you want. Just send me a PM and I will give you and email

blackbishop351
02-20-2007, 16:43
It would be absolutely wonderful if you could take some detailed pics and measurements before you put it back together. You would save me a world of headache. You can email me the pics if you want. Just send me a PM and I will give you and email

Oh hell no - pics must be posted here!! End this debate once and for all, PLEASE! :p

headchange4u
02-20-2007, 17:21
Don't worry. I will post the pics. I was just basically offering to host them! :)

blackbishop351
02-20-2007, 17:23
Don't worry. I will post the pics. I was just basically offering to host them! :)

Cool! I'm just glad somebody else demo'd their HH so I didn't have to! :D

wilsonbmw
02-20-2007, 19:16
Oh hell no - pics must be posted here!! End this debate once and for all, PLEASE! :p

Don't worry it won't get put back together for a while. I will work on trying to get some pics that can be of some use. It is quite a mess actually. I might as well completely disassemble it. That would be the best way. Maybe tomorrow I can get some pics up.

Just Jeff
02-20-2007, 19:53

Agree on posting the pics here...but what if different models/years are made differently? I doubt even these pics will end the debate once and for all!

blackbishop351
02-20-2007, 20:36
Agree on posting the pics here...but what if different models/years are made differently? I doubt even these pics will end the debate once and for all!

Leave it to Jeff to complicate things! :p

headchange4u
02-20-2007, 20:48

Yeah, that's true but if we can get a through understanding of how they are put together I will be easier to know how to approach making a DIY version.

headchange4u
02-20-2007, 20:49
Don't worry it won't get put back together for a while. I will work on trying to get some pics that can be of some use. It is quite a mess actually. I might as well completely disassemble it. That would be the best way. Maybe tomorrow I can get some pics up.

You are my hero.:D

Coffee
02-21-2007, 01:05
Here are detailed shots of my HH. I bought it last fall as a demo model off of the HH website.

It is the HH Ultralite Explorer Asym. All shots are of the head end.

Detail 1. Top view showing HH whipping and bug netting.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HHULEXDetail1.jpg

Detail 2. Bottom view showing the rolling on the edges and the flat center on the bottom.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HHULEXDetail2.jpg

Detail 3. A close up of the whipping and the melting of the edges. It also shows the Spectra though the holes melted in the fabric. The end is also melted.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HHULEXDetail3.jpg

lvleph
02-21-2007, 08:03
Looking forward to seeing more pics. You can minimize that blur by not using a flash, but the you have the problem of it being too dark. Maybe have brighter lights. Just FYI.

I was looking over my HH before I sent it back. And it definitely looks like it is more of the folding/wicking rather than the shape of the material. I am waiting to see how the folds are. I may be able to come up with a way to minimize the material, so as to minimize weight and still get the same asym.

slowhike
02-21-2007, 10:46
and unless a camera has a macro setting, it will only be able to get a certain distance before it loses focus.

Coffee
02-21-2007, 11:09
Yeah I took them late last night and could not get a good light source without the flash.

I have decided thought that if I can't get a DIY hammock as comfortable as my HH is to me within the next couple weeks, the bugnetting is coming off. MY DIY hammocks are comfortable, but my HH is just more comfortable.

tsumrall
02-21-2007, 12:27
Thank you for the pics.

I was expecting the holes on the vertical plain. It sort of looks like the leading hole might be (on the side) but the one on the bed side likes like it is not (on the top). It may be just the photo angle or a twist.

Can you verify that?

Also can you tell how they folded the end material? Repeated folding to the middle or fan (back and forth)? I'm having trouble deciding which I like better.

Tim

lvleph
02-21-2007, 12:38
Can someone explain the purpose of the holes? Is it so that the wicking and the tie rope are all in one?

I am actually waiting to find out more, so that I can make my first hammock.

blackbishop351
02-21-2007, 12:42
Can someone explain the purpose of the holes? Is it so that the wicking and the tie rope are all in one?

I am actually waiting to find out more, so that I can make my first hammock.

Making a hammock is much simpler than the way Hennessy does it - check out Jeff's site:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

wilsonbmw
02-21-2007, 13:07
Thank you for the pics.

I was expecting the holes on the vertical plain. It sort of looks like the leading hole might be (on the side) but the one on the bed side likes like it is not (on the top). It may be just the photo angle or a twist.

Can you verify that?

Also can you tell how they folded the end material? Repeated folding to the middle or fan (back and forth)? I'm having trouble deciding which I like better.

Tim

I just posted the pics of my disassembled HH. I tried to show how the folding pattern is a intricate fan type of fold. I will make some diagrams that will be more detailed. The head and foot ends are done alittle differently too. I think that is because of the entry though.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=558&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

wilsonbmw
02-21-2007, 13:09

Here are some I have taken so far. I will make up some diagrams too. The folding process can't really be captured in just a picture.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=558&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

blackbishop351
02-21-2007, 13:11
Wow - great pix! Very helpful! Well...helpful to these guys who don't like the basic homemade design, anyway :p

wilsonbmw
02-21-2007, 13:16
Wow - great pix! Very helpful! Well...helpful to these guys who don't like the basic homemade design, anyway :p

Well, we are trying to develop our own new homemade design. It helps to see how other designs are made so we can take from them what we like and incorporate those ideas with our own. A Speer/Jeff/Risk/Hennessy/wilsonbmw hybrid.

Coffee
02-21-2007, 13:22
Wow, and to think I was hesitante to remove the netting alone.

Let us now about the way it is folded. That I think is what gives it all of the shape.

lvleph
02-21-2007, 13:23
Making a hammock is much simpler than the way Hennessy does it - check out Jeff's site:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Yeah, I know that. But I do like the asymmetry of the HH, and would like to incorporate that into my hammock.

blackbishop351
02-21-2007, 13:24
Well, we are trying to develop our own new homemade design. It helps to see how other designs are made so we can take from them what we like and incorporate those ideas with our own.

I know, I just like giving people a hard time - especially my fellow DIY guys. We're not exactly known for following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy :p

A Speer/Jeff/Risk/Hennessy/wilsonbmw hybrid.

Now THERE'S a frightening thought!! :eek: :p

headchange4u
02-21-2007, 14:43
You are my hero.:D

I know, I just like giving people a hard time - especially my fellow DIY guys. We're not exactly known for following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy :p

We like to break things and then fix them!:D

wilsonbmw,

Thanks so much for taking those pics and voiding the warranty on the HH;) . You are the man.

BTW, it was mentioned earlier that the HH site list the fabric dimensions of each model of hammock here. (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm). JRB owners could also use their quilts to find the asymmetrical tie out points on the DIY version of these hammocks.

Looks like I will be sewing tonight.;)

tsumrall
02-21-2007, 14:45
Excellent. Sorry you had to disassemble.

On your HH Unfolding pic I see stiching. Is each fold sewn?

Coffee
02-21-2007, 14:51
I just posted the pics of my disassembled HH. I tried to show how the folding pattern is a intricate fan type of fold. I will make some diagrams that will be more detailed. The head and foot ends are done alittle differently too. I think that is because of the entry though.

Looking at your pics again.

Are there the same number of folds on each side? Did it appear to be rolled different on one side versus the other?

I am thinking the folds are where the asym shape is coming from.

wilsonbmw
02-21-2007, 15:06
Looking at your pics again.

Are there the same number of folds on each side? Did it appear to be rolled different on one side versus the other?

I am thinking the folds are where the asym shape is coming from.

The head end is different from the foot end. The folds on both sides of the head end are the same. My current hypothesis is that the asym ( not really asymmetrical, has 180 degree rotational or point reflexive symmetry ) shape comes from the netting, and the fact that the corners are brought together and overlapped before the folding. The folding is what makes it lay so nice and flat when you get in it. I will do some more pics tomorrow that will be a series showing how to put it back together. I should really get back to studying for a final exam I have tomorrow.

Coffee
02-21-2007, 15:10
cool. Thanks for doing that for all of us. I am need of getting my hammock to lay flater.

slowhike
02-21-2007, 15:34
The head end is different from the foot end. The folds on both sides of the head end are the same. My current hypothesis is that the asym ( not really asymmetrical, has 180 degree rotational or point reflexive symmetry ) shape comes from the netting, and the fact that the corners are brought together and overlapped before the folding. The folding is what makes it lay so nice and flat when you get in it. I will do some more pics tomorrow that will be a series showing how to put it back together. I should really get back to studying for a final exam I have tomorrow.

you talked about the netting helping to give it shape. that makes since, because my friends HH seemed to loose something after i cut the netting off.
i hung it & a speer side by side & went back & forth between the two trying to figure out the difference.
there was still a difference, but i believe the netting must play a part in the finished shape.
so for that reason i had wanted to add a couple straps that connected to the sides & went over the ridge line or a short section of bugnet at each end to see if i could regain more of the original shape.
just a thought.

Jazilla
02-21-2007, 22:14
Hey give Smee his due. He said it was the netting and the tie out points that gave it the asym feel. Ooh I feel a project coming on.

headchange4u
02-21-2007, 22:48
Yeah Smee had it right all along. Shoulda listened to the voice of experience. :)

I am glad that we got see how the HH is put together (big thanks to wilsonbmw). I learned a couple of interesting techniques in constructing a hammock and some information that will come in helpful in building that "perfect" hammock for me.

lvleph
02-22-2007, 07:59
In the patent Tom describes using a rectangular shaped fabric, but also says that a irregular polygon was used. This is in the claims section. To me he seemed to describe two different designs. He says that using the irregular polygon allows one to use less fabric (less weight) and it also provides less fabric gathered at the wicked end. Also, in the patent it said the head end and the foot end were folded differently, but I cannot remember what the benefit to this was.

It seems to me that the "Asymmetrical Experiment" by Arkwater is the same way (or very close to) HH folds theirs. I could be wrong but it seems like it. I think the reason most have said it still is not as nice as the HH is because they didn't have the parallelogram netting on it.

stoikurt
02-22-2007, 09:17
Hey give Smee his due. He said it was the netting and the tie out points that gave it the asym feel. Ooh I feel a project coming on.

Me thinks Smee has probably already been there but preferred not to speak out. How else would his underquilts match so well.

wilsonbmw
02-23-2007, 20:40
Well, I applied what I learned from my destruction session on a homemade hammock. I used a simplified version of the way the HH head end was folded/gathered. I think the foot end was done differently because it has the entrance slit.
It worked out great. Definitely an improvement. It felt flatter and it was great in the fetal position. (my preferred sleeping position in a hammock). Hennessy doesn't do anything to tighten up the outside edges because of the tie outs, so the gathering is done straight across. I tried this first then did it again pulling the outside corners out a little before whipping. It was an improvement since I was not using tie outs at the head and feet.

The simplified version is this:
Lay out the hammock with the inside facing up.
Fold the corners to the center and overlap them a little.
Turn the hammock over, making sure you keep the corners overlapped and in line with the center of the hammock. Flatten it out.
Take the outside edges and fold them in so they meet at the middle but don't overlap. Flatten it out.
Repeat, take the outside edges and fold them to meet at the center.
One last time, fold the outside edges in.
Now, fold it up in half like a taco.
The original outside corners should still be overlapped on the bottom of the taco. This is where Hennessy melts the end together and melts the holes through the sides. I just whipped it.

I posted a series of pics of the process. They are OK. The fabric I used makes it a little hard to see the folding.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=572&c=4

lvleph
02-23-2007, 23:11
Hmmm? The only thing asymmetric about that would be the bug netting. Or am I missing something? Thank you for all the work you have done. I will make my first hammock next week. I am planning on making a poncho/tarp, no-sniveller, and hammock sock along with it. I have a lot to do, since I have to do everything twice (my wife needs one too).

headchange4u
02-24-2007, 08:25
Nice job wlisonbmw. I am hoping to get the chance to set down this weekend and work on my own hammock.

Coffee
02-24-2007, 20:20
Nice work.

You might want to sew a seam on the end of that before you use it. All my whipping pull right off and put me on the ground if I do not sew a seam on the end.

Thanks again. I didn't even think about folding, the flipping, and repeating. That would explain how the rolls held their shape.

erintimothy
03-12-2008, 11:34
Ivleph said: "The only thing asymmetric about that would be the bug netting."

So... does anyone know the dimensions or proportions of the bug netting? I would like to make an HH clone that has an attached net.

Thanks,
Erin

headchange4u
03-12-2008, 15:14
My tutorial (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=670)for the HH clone has instructions for measuring and cutting bug netting and top covers. Bottom of the second post.

warbonnetguy
03-12-2008, 21:12
if you're gonna do all that, why copy the hh shape? put the corners of the net where you want them, this includes your ridge distance too(length of the netting piece). here's how to figure it.

measure the edge of the hammock where the net will be attached. say this distance is 110", then the 1,2,3 or more legs on each side of the net shape need to add up to this number. actually, the raw cut edge of netting is incredibly stretchy, so even if you try not to stretch it at all, you will probably stretch it a little, i was cutting the edges of the netting to add up to 3" less per side than what the hammock was. if you do it with pins you might be able to do it without stretching it.

also don't figure for a point at the two ends, make it so there is a short side at each end (about 1" long) this leaves 1/2" for a rolled hem on each side.

if you make a custom shape, you can pick the ridge distance, and the net corner locations, number of pull tabs etc. you may find better shapes than the hh shape.

voyager
06-06-2009, 20:51
you guys are wonderful- kisses to wilsonbmw xxx i am making a hh clone, i already own one but wasnt prepared to dissasemble it to copy it. now with your help i can make one for my boyfriend. almost 1600 people have viewed wilsonbmw's info, he definitly deserves the super hammock makers gold medal. and thanks to all of you on this forum. isnt the internet a fantastic tool?!!
i use a hammock for my long distance bicycle tours, but anytime i leave home and expect to be somewhere a nap might be a good idea, i take it with me.

Pitch
10-05-2009, 19:47
I'm having trouble making out the numbers / letters written - can someone fill in the blanks for me?

I make out:

2C2345543?6886????

Where ? is unknown and I'm not sure about the "C" (center?)

Thanks!!

Xex

bigred72
12-05-2009, 10:31
If anyone would like a copy of the illustrations for the HH patent, let me know and I will email them to you.
I would like them. Thanks!!!

apnonimus
01-22-2012, 17:12
We like to break things and then fix them!:D

wilsonbmw,

Thanks so much for taking those pics and voiding the warranty on the HH;) . You are the man.

BTW, it was mentioned earlier that the HH site list the fabric dimensions of each model of hammock here. (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm). JRB owners could also use their quilts to find the asymmetrical tie out points on the DIY version of these hammocks.

Looks like I will be sewing tonight.;)

did anyone take down all of the dimensions before they took this page down? I'm looking for the dimensions of a HH Expedition Deluxe ASYM, the one for tall folks.

thanks

IOInterrupt
04-19-2012, 13:40
did anyone take down all of the dimensions before they took this page down? I'm looking for the dimensions of a HH Expedition Deluxe ASYM, the one for tall folks.

thanks

You can always pull up the archived version of the page here (http://web.archive.org/web/20070208212914/http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm).

mtroxell
09-25-2012, 11:36
I can't remember their name but there is a company that will mod your HH with a zipper on both sides of the hammock so that you can completely unzip the bug netting. It's cheaper than buying a second hammock and cutting it appart (plus less nerve-wracking).

Ghillieshot
06-03-2013, 10:22

Hi There South Mark,

Would you be willing to PM me the illustrations of the HH patent please. Thanks Mate. I hope I can help you out in the future.

Ghillieshot

JotM
10-02-2013, 04:10
Anyone can download the entire patent through the European Patent Office, here (http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?FT=D&date=20031023&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP&CC=US&NR=2003196265A1&KC=A1&ND=4). :)

tritan30
11-20-2015, 09:20
You can always pull up the archived version of the page here (http://web.archive.org/web/20070208212914/http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm).

cancinc
10-08-2020, 22:21
The asymmetric hammock patent is at this link:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/39/62/f6/70f7faa911c36f/US6865757.pdf