PDA

View Full Version : Need knot instructions

HappyCamper
10-22-2008, 09:32
Are there step-by-step instructions or pictures or drawings on how to tie the wrap/end knots on the Hennessy Hammock anywhere on HF? These are the wrap/knots under the end covers.

I've seen a picture of the finished knot but was interested in step-by-step instuctions to make sure I'm doing it correctly. My way has been holding but I'm not sure for how long. I have the backpacker hammock if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
HC

CajunHiker
10-22-2008, 09:37
They show a diagram in one of the patents. I try to locate it.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=LjoJAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA6&dq=Hennessy+hammock&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1_1

HappyCamper
10-22-2008, 10:58
Thanks CajunHiker!

GrizzlyAdams
10-22-2008, 13:02
I've had one of those things apart, and ended up tieing this knot several times.

<insert soft violins>
my very first posting to HF was on how I put rings on my HH.
<cut the violins>

I've added annotations to one of the photos from that posting. Think of the double strand shown as just a single cord...I was using a cord doubled over.
1. thread the cord through the top hole.
2. bring the working end around and pass under where you inserted it.
3. bring it around again, adjacent to the first wrap
4. bring it around one last time and pass through the bottom hole.
5. Take the working end and pass it under the wraps on the far side (not seen). Pass through the the loop end of the structural ridgeline.

What's left now is to tie it off as a bowline (which is different from what is shown in the patent). The main loop of the bowline is all the wraps. The working end is going to be the rabbit in the bowline story. You use the other end (which has rings in my picture) to make the rabbit hole and tree, etc.

When finished it looked like this

Grizz

CajunHiker
10-22-2008, 14:05
The last diy hammock I made, instead off the rope, I made two ends exit to opposite sides of the whipping knot. One side for the suspension, and the other side (with a bowline added) to become the ridgeline attachment. If the line was small enough, you could do the double line like Grizz. I think I'd put the knot for the loop to the ridgeline side.

NCPatrick
10-22-2008, 14:12
<cut the violins>
Grizz

It's not working... can you try cutting them again please? :scared: :D

GrizzlyAdams
10-22-2008, 14:20
It's not working... can you try cutting them again please? :scared: :D

you could try just drowning them out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM)

Grizz

headchange4u
10-22-2008, 14:22
<insert soft violins>
my very first posting to HF was on how I put rings on my HH.
<cut the violins>

<nostalgic tear falls>
I remember it well ....
</softly in the dust>

EDIT:
I think I just invented poetry tags... :p

NCPatrick
10-22-2008, 14:29
you could try just drowning them out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM)

Grizz

Ahhh... much better. Thanks. :)

HappyCamper
10-22-2008, 19:04
Nice instructions, Grizz, thanks. Glad memory lane includes music.