PDA

View Full Version : DD Camping Hammock with O rings

Lister
09-14-2012, 05:32
I've picked up a DD Camping Hammock with stainless steel O rings on at each end and i'm wondering what the best suspension system to use with it would be?

I'm assuming off the bat that 'd need some karabiners but what from there? I see a lot of mention of whoopie slings and even after watching videos, i can't for the life of me figure them out....larks foot around a tree, bowline/fig 8 followthrough to get a loop then onto the krab or have i totally got that wrong? :confused:

Please don't hurt me :eek::scared::eek:

pizza
09-14-2012, 05:44
Assuming you got the webbing suspension, all you need then are a pair of carabiners. If you want to go with whoopieslings you would need a pair of tree straps, whoopieslings, and a pair of toggles or carabiners. Check out this site for more information.

http://www.whoopieslings.com/

Lister
09-14-2012, 05:56
Assuming you got the webbing suspension, all you need then are a pair of carabiners. If you want to go with whoopieslings you would need a pair of tree straps, whoopieslings, and a pair of toggles or carabiners. Check out this site for more information.

http://www.whoopieslings.com/

Nope no webbing, just the hammock with O rings though the channels, ossibly why i've not figured out what to use to suspend it with. :(

Moel Siabod
09-14-2012, 06:10
Loads of good suggestions to try out here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.html

Lister
09-14-2012, 06:44
There is only 1 ring at each end of the hammock so any Garda Hitch setups may go out the window, I'm thinking probably 2 krabs and larks-footed webbing is the easiest method to start with, moving on to others with tuition, sound sensible?

pizza
09-14-2012, 07:52
Since it's a gathered end channel hammock If you buy a pair of tree straps and whoopieslings you can just thread the whoopieslings through the end channel. You can use many things for your toggles...even sticks or carabiners. Doesn't really matter. The toggles don't need to support much weight, the knot takes the force.

Lister
01-15-2013, 12:54
Have finally sorted a suspension system for me hammock.

got a couple of whoppies and a couple of slings from my climbing gear to use as tree-straps. The whoopies are larks-footed through the O-rings and the climbing straps are larks-footed around the tree, then connected to each other using a couple of crabs, it seems to work on the garden fence (concrete pillar jobbie with wooden panels, sitting over the posts but on top of the panels), just need to try it out in the wild now :)

craige
01-15-2013, 13:08
Could you post some pics? Curiosity lol.

Lister
01-15-2013, 13:15
Could you post some pics? Curiosity lol.

Will get some pics tomorrow, here's it in rough:

||====----o(_____________)o----====||

|| Post
= Climbing sling
- Whoopie sling
o Carabiner
(_____________) Hammock

Passinthru
01-15-2013, 19:15
I can't tell how you are connecting your whoopies to your tree straps but if you are using carabiners you can save some bulk, and maybe some weight, by using a toggle and garda hitch. At the hammock end you can get rid of the heavy stainless steel rings and replace them with continuous loops of amsteel. Then a carabiner to you whoopies.
After much experimentation, on my Frontline I use continuous loops in the end channels, attached to webbing and buckles. For me, it still beats anything else I have tried.

Lister
04-15-2013, 18:34
Now have a Frontline so am pondering what to do with the camping hammock. Anyone turned an old hammock into a UQ before? problem with the Camping Hammock is that it's not waterproof but I'm led to believe a wash with Nikwax (not sure which one) will sort that and the zip would allow for interchangable fillers......thoughts anyone?

Also, what the best way to rig it? This one (unlike the secondhand camping hammock) did have webbing but i can't decide if i want to salvage the 2 O rings from the camping hammock of leave them on to feed over the Frontline webbing if i converted the camping hammock to a UQ........advice?

craige
04-15-2013, 19:16
Now have a Frontline so am pondering what to do with the camping hammock. Anyone turned an old hammock into a UQ before? problem with the Camping Hammock is that it's not waterproof but I'm led to believe a wash with Nikwax (not sure which one) will sort that and the zip would allow for interchangable fillers......thoughts anyone?

Also, what the best way to rig it? This one (unlike the secondhand camping hammock) did have webbing but i can't decide if i want to salvage the 2 O rings from the camping hammock of leave them on to feed over the Frontline webbing if i converted the camping hammock to a UQ........advice?

The camping hammock wouldn't make an uq as such, it may be a little warmer but there is no insulation in it... keep it for winter when there is no bugs.

Nikwax' water repellent treatment will add water repellency, not water proof, although I'm not sure why you want a waterproof hammock? If the fabric is properly proofed it will lose it's breathability meaning it will not allow your perspiration to pass through and will ebd up sweaty... that is why silnylon is not used as hammock fabric.

There are so many options for suspension you really are best to do some research, deciding what you like best. Saying that I would either go with webbing to the o rings or amsteel (whoopies or ucrs).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRIs8NjpDww&feature=youtube_gdata_player whoopie slings on a dd hammock :D

Lister
04-15-2013, 20:01
The hammock wouldn't be used as a hammock, it'd become a UQ conversion (i.e fill between the 2 layers with insulation and hang under the Frontline.) hence the want to waterproof it (instead of using ripstop nylon)

craige
04-15-2013, 21:52
There is nothing to stop you trying it out.
The reason people/vendors use ripstop (uncoated) for insulation shells is to allow everything to breathe...how many waterproof sleeping bags do you see? Sure you get bivvy sacks but those are meant as a tarp equivalent and usually use a breathable fabric.
Have a look for dejoha's thread on vbls and that should explain better than I can.