PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 UQ for my wife

flatline
09-14-2012, 20:58
i took my wife for her first over night hang last weekend.
a near by winery (Round Peak) has a camp-out every year, so i asked her to go and she said okay. we had a great time and now she's hooked on hammocking!

so i need another UQ for us.

i have been lusting after a 3/4 UQ all sumer long. and now i have the perfect opportunity to add another WL UQ to the fleet.
we'll be taking it for a test in a couple of weeks, at the Grayson Highlands Fall Festival hang. we can't wait!

__bob__

MAD777
09-14-2012, 21:55
Congratulations on getting your better half in hammock!
I've been working on mine, but so far, it's limited to a morning hang at the nearby local park.

Hawk-eye
09-14-2012, 22:02
That's fantastic Bob! My bride was suppose to go backpacking with me last year and well things didn't work out on a lot of levels but she's wanting to give it a try this fall ... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll need to out fit her too if she takes to it. She already loves hiking in the Gorge ... :woot:

flatline
09-14-2012, 22:06
thx MAD777,
i really got lucky when i stumbled into the winery camp-out.
a catered super, wine, bonfire, s'mores and "facilities". she couldn't say no.

flatline
09-14-2012, 22:11
That's fantastic Bob! My bride was suppose to go backpacking with me last year and well things didn't work out on a lot of levels but she's wanting to give it a try this fall ... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll need to out fit her too if she takes to it. She already loves hiking in the Gorge ... :woot:

we're heading to GHSP on the 29th.
if you can work it in y'all should come up.
they have "facilities" and it's a fall festival (maybe junk food vendors!).

dakine
12-11-2013, 14:58
i have been lusting after a 3/4 UQ all sumer long. and now i have the perfect opportunity to add another WL UQ to the fleet.
we'll be taking it for a test in a couple of weeks, at the Grayson Highlands Fall Festival hang. we can't wait!

__bob__

Mine just arrived in the mail today, trying it out tonight in 30 degree weather. Any tips for first time user on suspending/adjusting for best results?

flatline
12-11-2013, 18:55
Mine just arrived in the mail today, trying it out tonight in 30 degree weather. Any tips for first time user on suspending/adjusting for best results?

try to have an observer check for a complete seal at the shoulders and knees.
Marty uses enough shock cord that you may want to wrap a couple extra times around the gathered end balls.
Try to have the UQ slightly lift the unoccupied hammock.
Don't make the shoulder and knee end too tight.
You'll have it perfect after about 30 mins. of test/tweak.
And don't snore so loud that others can hear you :)
__bob__

dakine
12-12-2013, 11:57
Thanks, it went well last night, 30 degrees, light breeze, a few cold spots in the morning but would not be a problem when camping.

Unlike yours, the suspension is very tight and lifted the hammock nearly to the ridgeline (108 inches long). So he must have either shortened the cord, or your ridgeline is shorter than mine.

I took about one minute "tweaking" the setup. Pretty much plug-and-play. And the materials/construction look top notch.

flatline
12-13-2013, 21:38
Thanks, it went well last night, 30 degrees, light breeze, a few cold spots in the morning but would not be a problem when camping.

Unlike yours, the suspension is very tight and lifted the hammock nearly to the ridgeline (108 inches long). So he must have either shortened the cord, or your ridgeline is shorter than mine.

I took about one minute "tweaking" the setup. Pretty much plug-and-play. And the materials/construction look top notch.

Glad you enjoyed the shake down hang.
I wasn't sure which hammock you where using.
I use a 108 SRL and mine is the same as you described.
I dont make any additional wraps at the end.
__bob__

dakine
12-14-2013, 14:24
I didn't pay attention when hanging the quilt, but there is a top/bottom/head end due to differential cut etc. I emailed Marty who says that the logo should be at the head end, outside.