PDA

View Full Version : ULA RainWrap/Tarp Combo

Shug
10-26-2008, 14:01
Been out in todays cold 37º rainy and windy weather messing around with and idea.
I love using this small BlackCat Tarp and have been looking to extend its range in nasty weather. This RainWrap fron ULA (http://www.ula-equipment.com/rain_wrap.htm) is 3 ozs. and I have been taking it on trips with me and find it really versatile. It works as my back-up groundcloth, rain skirt, sit upon cloth. I may try to rig it as a quickie weather shield but as it is waterproof non-breathable I will test that some first.
The idea is to block sudden wind from the side. It is proving to be effective... so far. Have to see how well it holds and will more that likely add some more tie-outs to it. Using a couple of extra tarp tension lines to attach to tarp.
May sleep out tonight as the high 20º's are expected with rain and wind. I LOVE it!!
Have the tarp partially closed so it seems pretty less wind-less in side. Gonna fix my hammock and hang it back in and at least have a snooze/read in it today.

HappyCamper
10-26-2008, 19:07
I'll be interested to find out how this works for you. I was hammock camping last night and the wind chilled me more than I expected.

Shug
10-27-2008, 10:01
I'll be interested to find out how this works for you. I was hammock camping last night and the wind chilled me more than I expected.
OK then .... slept out in high winds and cold ... 32º .... and having the RainWrap DID help keep wind from coming in under the cat cut. I had the tarp pitched low. Of course some gusts got in but over all it really was successful. Today I make a new weathershield as I did not have one rigged last night. Would have boosted efficiency I would think.
Fun experiment trying to make gear work in many ways......