PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here bike with a hammock?

Just Jeff
02-16-2007, 07:56
There are a handful of webpages about folks who take bicycle trips with hammocks, stealth camping each night of the trip. Does anyone here do that? What considerations are different for biking rather than hiking? I guess weight isn't as big of a deal, but maybe a bigger tarp would be nice to keep the bike under it, or muted/natural colors would be more important since you're generally closer to roads than hikers? Just wondering...

Just a few examples:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
- http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?o=lt&thread_id=38522&v=1m&page=1&nested=0

http://www.countrybicycle.com/

http://www.bicycletouring101.com/ShelterHammocks.htm

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/182718.html

Doctari
02-16-2007, 08:22
Not yet. BUT, I have "Bikepacked" and want to continue, so since I have fully switched to a hammock I'll definently use my hammock. I even have a bike specificly built to haul gear for camping.

My former bikepacking tent was about 3" tall, dark blue. Very easy to hide under trees. My hammock and tarp are camo, so I think hiding them would be at least as easy. I was never (to my knowledge) discovered while stelth camping w my bike.

NCPatrick
02-16-2007, 09:05
Hi Jeff, have you checked into the Virginia Creeper Trail? You wouldn't have to stealth camp there (unless you just wanted to). It may be more sedate than what you were wanting.

I haven't "bikepacked" yet myself, but am looking into it as you are. I see myself buying a mountain bike (or touring bike) in the near future.

neo
02-16-2007, 09:31
=------------------------

neo
02-16-2007, 09:33
---------------------------------

neo
02-16-2007, 09:43
-------------------------------------

Ewker
02-16-2007, 09:55
Not yet. BUT, I have "Bikepacked" and want to continue, so since I have fully switched to a hammock I'll definently use my hammock. I even have a bike specificly built to haul gear for camping.

My former bikepacking tent was about 3" tall, dark blue. Very easy to hide under trees. My hammock and tarp are camo, so I think hiding them would be at least as easy. I was never (to my knowledge) discovered while stelth camping w my bike.

got a pic of that bike.

Doctari
02-16-2007, 11:38
got a pic of that bike.

Yes I do. Where it is I havn't a clue :rolleyes: Ill look for it & scan it in. If I can't find it, Ill get the bike out, load it up & take a pic. Well, after the snow & ice clear that is.

It's a custom built job, special made for long distance bikepacking. The bike actually handles better with a full load than when empty. naturally, nothing makes the weight easier to lug up the hills :(

One nice thing about Bikepacking, I can carry a little less weight cause usually food is avalable every day.

Doctari.

Coffee
02-16-2007, 12:55
I have been thinking about something similar. I need something to do next summer.

What I was thinking was a larger tarp to go over you and the bike (I like the bigger tarp anyways). It would need to be fairily light weight. Too me I would think bulk would be the bigger issue. Most people's backpacking setups are already light, but like mine a little bulky.

I was thinking a DIY hammock, cat tarp, top quilt, bug netting, and thermarest inflatable pad for bottom insulation. There are going to be times where trees are not available. I was thinking to either use a pad the whole way, or if there is room add a small underquilt.

I was thinking about making a sil cover for the bike, That way I could protect it from the rain without being under the tarp.

NCPatrick
02-16-2007, 13:05
I was thinking a DIY hammock, cat tarp, top quilt, bug netting, and thermarest inflatable pad for bottom insulation. There are going to be times where trees are not available. I was thinking to either use a pad the whole way, or if there is room add a small underquilt.

I was thinking about making a sil cover for the bike, That way I could protect it from the rain without being under the tarp.

And why stop there? How about a DIY bike? :p :D

Ewker
02-16-2007, 13:06
Doc, whenever you get time is fine. Thanks

Coffee
02-16-2007, 13:07

Well finguring in all I learned about hiking and hammocking in the last year in a half, it would not be out of the picture.:rolleyes:

But the whole cost, time, and risking my life thing talk in out of it.:p

Just Jeff
02-16-2007, 13:19
No need to cover the entire bike with sil...just the seat and maybe the handgrips. I'm not sure what's the better trade...a tarp big enough to keep the bike under, or a tarp small enough to withstand a big windstorm. The MacCat Delux might be just the right size depending on how you pitch it.

Coffee
02-16-2007, 13:44
With whatever tarp for you with, I would get good at setting it up on the ground. This may be a little tricky without treking poles. Maybe use the bike on one end and the tire pump on the other. The pump end would be pretty low. You could guy out the bike to make it stable.

This is provided you will be in places without trees.

funbun
02-16-2007, 15:32

Did that. Here's the link. Scroll down a bit and you'll see it:

http://biketour.blogspot.com/

NCPatrick
02-16-2007, 15:37
That's really cool. Took a really long time to make, though.

Thanks for the link.

Coffee
02-17-2007, 01:05
I was refering to the mechanical ones myself. Although I have watched a ton of American Chopper.

Just Jeff
03-26-2007, 10:25
Hey - remember this thread? What if someone went unicycle camping with a hammock?

http://www.surlybikes.com/2005_08_01_surlyblogarchive.html about 2/3 down...

funbun
03-26-2007, 20:25
I guess the biggest difference is that bicycle touring you have anywhere from 2 to 6 bags on your bike instead of one bag on your back. Also the panniers (packs/saddlebags) are heavier: made from 1000 denier Cordura. Abrasion reisistence is far more important that lightwieght. Descending some mountain pass at 45 miles per hour is not the time for freakin silnylon bags, lol. If you fall your bags will disintegrate.

So you see, tourists tend to use heavier gear since the bike frame is hauling the weight instead of your back. Plus you're hauling six times as many bags. So you could haul a few more luxury items that you probably would on a hike.

Also, you'll cover more miles. Even averaging 8 miles per hour you'd be moving two or three times faster than a hiker. Most tourists do like 60 miles a day or what they call a Metric Century (100 kilometers). So at 60 miles a day, the Natchez Trace should be doable in a week's time.

Since you've got that kind of speed, there is no need to do all these complex mail drops and stuff. Just eat in town, local groceries and stuff.

As a southeasterner, stealth camping is the way to go. Plenty of trees down here. But make sure it isn't hunting season, or that you sneaking onto private lands. Lots of those lands are private hunting lands, be careful.

I plan to do the Section #1 of the new Underground Railroad Route hopefully next summer: http://www.adventurecycling.com/routes/undergroundrailroad.cfm?pg=detail&s=1

Here's a good book on bicycle touring: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Touring-Cyclist-Complete-Traveler/dp/0071360190/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0963500-6613440?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174959642&sr=8-1

Drop
03-26-2007, 20:44
I know a few MUNI types, they use proper sized ones (http://www.unicycle.uk.com/images/c2c_workington1.jpg) though. I know ones into lightweight camping, i'll suggest hammocks to him next time we meet.

Just Jeff
03-29-2007, 13:31
I think my posture is too bad for that - I couldn't sit up straight on a unicycle for that long! And I'd have to put gears on it, too - a 21 speed unicycle so I can work smarter not harder. I'm lazy like that! :D

btourer
03-29-2007, 18:35
Hey FunBun, when you get out on the Underground Railroad Route tell Joy Santee "Barefoot Brian" say's hello. I rode with her and her parter their first couple of days on her TransAm crossing last year. Her first night of camping we had a horrible thunder storm come thru Va. She thought my hammock was the weirdest thing she ever saw. Both girls spent the night sleeping on picknick tables with their gear drying on the rafters of a shelter. I was high and dry under a Hennessy hex.
To see my bikin page see: http://www.petritsch.net/jarvis

btourer
03-29-2007, 19:10
And to answer some of Jeff's original questions. I've been bike touring for 30 something years now. I use to carry a small pup tent with fly and a string hammock. I first used a hammock on my 1978 crossing of the US. Since I found the Hennessy I just hammock. You have to be prepared to go to ground a lot more. Sometimes your just not in tree covered areas. And yes you have to be prepared for noise. Normally I can see the cars passing from my camp site. So colors that blend into the woods are a must. Blue is the worst, nothing stands out in the woods more. I go down the road until I find a quite spot and then waite for a break in the traffic and then shoot into the woods. I don't make fires or use flashlights so that I don't get spotted. And normally I don't carry cooking gear because I'm passing stores all the time and I can grab food as I go.

Just Jeff
03-29-2007, 19:43
That sounds pretty fun...I might have to get into biking so I can cover more miles and see more sights when I camp with the kids. Might have to wait until they can work the gears though - big hills on a bike with no gears ain't much fun!

slowhike
03-29-2007, 19:46
the only bad thing about biking is the crazy drivers on the road.

Just Jeff
03-29-2007, 19:50
Yeah - and the farther you get out into the country the more red necks you run into...so it doesn't get any better!

funbun
03-29-2007, 19:51
To see my bikin page see: http://www.petritsch.net/jarvis

Wow, you make lugged frames?

btourer
03-29-2007, 20:38
No, the frame was made by Trevor Jarvis in England. I had him custom build it to my specs. I just put it together. That's another thing about touring. Learn how to fix your own because you never know where you'll be when "it" happens.
The comment about the red neck drivers is well understood. I've been cussed at and swirved at. On two occasions I've had bottles hit me in the back and numerous misses. And FYI 16oz Pepsi bottles hurt much worse than 12oz beer bottles. I for one am greatful for the invention of plastic. But over the years for every one of those experiences I've had a 1000 great ones.

funbun
03-30-2007, 08:01
Yeah, it'd be worth it to go to your LBS (local bike shop) and tell them that you're planning a tour and need to learn how to fix everything on your bike. I bet they would help.

btourer
03-30-2007, 18:55
Having the front bags actually helps with stability. I started out just using back bags and a handle bar bag, that set up would cause the back of the bike to feel like it was whipping around on you and the front end would want to lever up if you leaned the bike over too much. Having bags back and front distributes the weight better. And the lower you get the weight the better. You also have to play with the positioning of the bags and the weight they carry to "tune the load to your bike". I try to put the heavy stuff and the things I wont need until camp time in the front so that I don't disturb the load when riding. The back bags are for JRB's and frequently changed clothes and food.I like to have the rear bags as far forward as I can so they just clear my heals by an inch when I'm peddling. That moves as much weight as you can in front of the rear axle. The fronts I like to have the center of the bag behind the front axle a little. I've lost the handle bar bag all together as it tends to destabilize the steering and adds a lot of front drag and blocks air flow to the saddle area. Weight distribution from right to left has to be as even as you can get it. That bike has 9000 miles on it so I've got it tweeked to the point where I can ride all day with no hands unless I have a side wind.
Set up for winter riding/camping (which would be the same gear I'd take for doing something like the TransAm) I'm carrying about 45 pounds bags included. For the summer and short trips I can cut it down to 35. I carry tools to fix the bike, spare tubes and patch kits with a tire pump, grease, chain lube, spare screws, spare spokes, extra couple links of chain and cycling clothes. And the bike comes in at 27lb. without water.
If I just carried the gear I needed to hike with you people I'd only have a little over 20 pounds.

btourer
03-30-2007, 20:31
That sounds pretty fun...I might have to get into biking so I can cover more miles and see more sights when I camp with the kids. Might have to wait until they can work the gears though - big hills on a bike with no gears ain't much fun!
If you want something you and the kids can do that isn't too punishing, look into the C&O Towpath. It runs from D.C. to Cumberland, Maryland, 180 miles. I did it last year but made the mistake of taking the tent because I didn't know what to expect from the camping areas. There's nice trees at all for hanging. Which would be best as all the grass has been worn off by over use in the more populated areas. The path is hard packed gravel and follows the canal along the Potomac. Fatter tires would be nicer but I did it on 700c 28's with no problem. And it's level except for a 4 or 5 ft rise at every lock.

Grinder
03-31-2007, 20:43
Like funbun, I'm another recumbent bike rider who builds his own rides.

mysite.verizon.net/teblum
follow the recumbent link

Here in Central Florida, we have quite a few Rails to Trails multi use paths.

I have a night time ride, once a month that starts 75 miles from my home. I can ride there on bike paths except for about 20 miles on a four lane divided highway that has a good shoulder.

I can't ride 75 miles in a day, so, an overnight with a stealth camp somewhere before the 50 mile mark would be required. That kind of scares me, although I would camp off of the trail and should be able to get out of sight.

New point: All the fuss about covering the bike seems silly to me. On previous tours (Like the Florida Safari --450ish miles in a week), everyone leaves their bike out and tents. The more conciencious riders cover the seat.

That's my 2 cents

Tom

Bird Dog
04-01-2007, 05:59
Man, you guys make my Trek 4700 mountain bike look like one of those little pink ones with training wheels and tassles hanging out of the handlebars. :D

BD

Just Jeff
04-01-2007, 06:26
You said you weren't gonna tell anybody about the training wheels and tassles. I guess you come out about the sewing machine and now you have ALL the confidence you need to show the true you.

Some things are better left unsaid. :D

(Now if you had pink tassles on your hammock...)

Bird Dog
04-01-2007, 06:29
Hahahahaha. Guess I have to do something to keep all those girls at my house entertained. But, I wasnt the one talking about buying pink camo or sewing a ruffle on the bottom of my hammock (although, I may have to make one like that to get my oldest daughter in the woods). BD

btourer
04-02-2007, 21:23
New point: All the fuss about covering the bike seems silly to me. On previous tours (Like the Florida Safari --450ish miles in a week), everyone leaves their bike out and tents. The more conciencious riders cover the seat.

That's my 2 cents

Tom
It depends on where I'm at as to whether I cover the bike or not. I have a lot of chrome on my bike and the panniers have reflective strips all over them. If I'm close to a road I cover it just to keep car lights from making it glow in the dark. If I'm in a camp ground or way off into the woods I don't worry about it unless it's calling for rain. My Brooks saddle always gets covered.

mynamesrob
04-04-2007, 18:16
I haven't tried touring with a hammock yet but it's my intention. I picked up a touring bike last month in with the 20% off plus dividend at REI. All I need now is bags and I'm ready to roll.

Another poster mentioned doing the first section of the underground RR. I think I'm going to give the Potomac Tidewater Trail a go.

-Rob

btourer
04-05-2007, 17:48
I put the Arkel panniers on mine. They're well made but pricey. I met a guy with some Lone Peaks last year and they were really nice. Plus you can get a whole set for what I paid for my rear bags. I'd probably change the mounts, which I did on the Arkels also. But then I pretty much modify every thing I buy.
Go see: http://www.thetouringstore.com

funbun
04-06-2007, 01:39
I put the Arkel panniers on mine. They're well made but pricey. I met a guy with some Lone Peaks last year and they were really nice. Plus you can get a whole set for what I paid for my rear bags. I'd probably change the mounts, which I did on the Arkels also. But then I pretty much modify every thing I buy.
Go see: http://www.thetouringstore.com

Yeah, Lone Peak has caught my eye for a while now. Arkels seem to have creeped up in price over the years, not sure why.

I bought a set of Arkel Hooks and made my own panniers out of plastic buckets. I called them the Buckets of Doom (http://biketouring101.com/BikeDIYPanniers.htm). They got me through graduate school, lol.

I want to make a set of bags for my recumbent bike. Most pannier are design to increase foot clearance, but on a recumbent that isn't a problem. So I plan to make a set of bags that is more longitudinal than most panniers.

btourer
04-06-2007, 09:32
Those buckets aren't the prettiest things but if they work they work:-) I didn't like the Arkel mounts because they rattled and the shock cords let the bottom of the bags flap like wings. I don't like weight shifting, especially when I'm coming off the mountains at high speed. I took some 1/8 x 1 aluminum and made some hooks and used webbing strap to cinch the bags to the rack. The webbing is held tight to the bottom of the bag by a plastic strip. It's a lot more solid and I took 1 1/2 lbs off the bike.

funbun
04-08-2007, 20:25
. . .I took some 1/8 x 1 aluminum and made some hooks and used webbing strap to cinch the bags to the rack. The webbing is held tight to the bottom of the bag by a plastic strip. It's a lot more solid and I took 1 1/2 lbs off the bike.

Cool, got any pics?

btourer
04-09-2007, 18:27
The brackets aren't hard to do. The material can be had at Lowe's. Use a big washer on the inside of the bag to keep it from pulling through the plastic. Now hopefully this image will come up, I'm new to this forum stuff!

bikenque
04-10-2007, 08:31
I got to the hammock forums through the bike touring forums and the bikelist.org groups. A tremendous resource for anyone interested in bike touring.

I've got a bunch of bike camping trips coming up around the Southeast this summer. I was looking to cut some weight and went to tarp camping which led to hammock camping.

I've got my gear close to a 10 lbs base weight. One of the nice things about bike touring is that you can schedule town stops every day, if need be. That allows me to cut my food weight down to two days and stop regularly to refill in small quantities. I don't mind because I'm not after a wilderness experience on the bike, I'm usually out looking at small rural towns and buying food is a great way to explore them.

Oms
04-10-2007, 17:36
It sounds really nice. I have a trail and a road bike. I can see a touring bike in the future. After a good long ride the hammock would be nice. Now if I can only talk my wife into it :)

btourer
04-10-2007, 18:18
Good luck on that wife thing. My wife's idea of roughing it is just taking one credit card.

Just Jeff
04-10-2007, 19:07
Bump...back to hammocks, pls.

funbun
04-11-2007, 10:02
Okay, how do you store your hammock while riding? Do you stuff it in a pannier or throw it in with your quilt and strap in on top of your rack? Or do you pitch it onto you handlebar and use it as a sail while riding in strong tailwinds?

btourer
04-11-2007, 17:59
The right front pannier is all shelter system. Hammock, hex fly, 11x10 diamond fly, straps, stakes and ground cloth. After hanging the hammock and fly the bike gets moved to the foot end so I can use it as a chest of drawers. The JRB's are in the rear right along with my long johns. I put down the small ground cloth (the patio) between the bike and the bottom of the hammock. That gives me a clean place to stand and change clothes and also keeps me from dragging leaf litter into the hammock on my socks.

bikenque
04-12-2007, 08:56
Okay, how do you store your hammock while riding? Do you stuff it in a pannier or throw it in with your quilt and strap in on top of your rack?

btourer's got the right ideas. The key to good bike touring is prioritizing your panniers, (saddlebag in my case). Just like with backpacking, you want the weight low and towards the middle. And like with backpacking, put the necessities/emergency stuff on top easy to get to and the camp stuff low and out of the way.

With bicycling you need to balance between sides of the bikes and keep the weight as close to the axles of the wheels as possible, preferably with a 40/60% weight in the front/back respectively.

I have a big saddlebag and handlebar bag, each sitting on small racks. Soft stuff on the back -- quilt, hammock, clothes, dry food, toiletries. Tools & fuel in one side pocket, emergency weather gear in the other. Cook kit, remaining food, tarp, camera, binoculars, gloves in the handlebar bag. This is where the hammock really works for me -- no tent poles to manage.

Coffee
04-12-2007, 09:51
I'll have to keep all of these ideas in mind. Next summer I am going to try to get into motorcycle trips. A little different, but the concept is the same.

blackie
04-12-2007, 10:33
i went from hiking to canoeing years ago..but after reading this i might just try some stealth /hammock/ bike trips ..it would open up a lot of new area to me..and give me lots more chances to hang...thanks guys

bikenque
04-12-2007, 11:04
One of the great things that I've picked up recently is the Sub-24 Overnighter (S24O). Basically riding to work on my touring bike then heading out for one night and returning the next morning. I have one big state park about 10 miles from my house so this is perfect. Get out there before sunset, set up camp, relax or fish in the lake for an hour, sleep, and return home the next morning.

I usually don't take a change of clothes, just my sleeping gear, a book, and other small camp essentials. Sometimes I take a cookset or sometimes I stop and pick up dinner on the way out there. It's great when I don't have a big trip coming up but just want a little bit of adventure and an evening of sleeping outdoors. Very refreshing.

btourer
04-12-2007, 17:41
Short camping trips are good for a number of reasons, I use them for stress management mostly. But they're also good for tweeking your set up. Whether your hiking or biking, tenting or hanging, a long trip is no place to find out things aren't working for you like you'd like them to.
I help out people that are heading cross country on the TransAm every year. 4500 miles over two months normally. Some know what they're doing and some just got this "IDEA" and thought "Wow, This would be fun!" I'm sure you run into this on the trails too. I've seen people fly in with new bikes and new camping gear they've never riden or used before. It's like a disaster waiting to happen.

Just Jeff
04-12-2007, 17:57
Okay, how do you store your hammock while riding?....

The right front pannier is all shelter system. Hammock, hex fly, 11x10 diamond fly, straps, stakes and ground cloth. After hanging the hammock....

Great way to get back on topic, guys...thanks for making it easy.

funbun
04-12-2007, 18:50
I wonder if you had snake skins if you could just wrap the hammock around the bike frame?

blackbishop351
04-12-2007, 19:17
How about an integrated hammock-bike? The frame could act as a spreader bar for the hammock... :p

btourer
04-12-2007, 19:54
I wonder if you had snake skins if you could just wrap the hammock around the bike frame?
I don't know if I'd try that. If something worked loose and got into the spokes you could wind up with some ugly looking road rash.

funbun
04-12-2007, 20:44
How about an integrated hammock-bike? The frame could act as a spreader bar for the hammock... :p

Check out this Greenspeed GTR (http://www.greenspeed.com.au/OldWebPics/GTR-E%20(Claret-DG)%20768.JPG). It basically has a hammock seat. Greenspeed (http://www.greenspeed.com.au/gshome.html) make really good trikes. I wish I had the money to buy one.:(

See one in action: http://www.greenspeed.com.au/movies.html

Bacchetta (http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumbents/bikes/strada.htm) has the Euromesh (http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumbents/bikes/strada.htm) seat which is basically a hammock seat with an open cell foam pad.

NCPatrick
04-13-2007, 07:43
Short camping trips are good for a number of reasons, I use them for stress management mostly. But they're also good for tweeking your set up. Whether your hiking or biking, tenting or hanging, a long trip is no place to find out things aren't working for you like you'd like them to.
I help out people that are heading cross country on the TransAm every year. 4500 miles over two months normally. Some know what they're doing and some just got this "IDEA" and thought "Wow, This would be fun!" I'm sure you run into this on the trails too. I've seen people fly in with new bikes and new camping gear they've never riden or used before. It's like a disaster waiting to happen.

Hmmm... why does this sound so familiar? :rolleyes: Well, at least they're out there trying and doing it instead of sitting around on the couch at home, you've got to give them credit for that.

bikenque
04-13-2007, 08:10

I met several people who stake the wheels of their bike and add guylines to hold it up. Then pitch a tarp off the side and use the bike frame as the ridge for a leanto or a-frame. Works pretty well and if the tarp is big enough it will cover the bike also.

blackie
04-13-2007, 08:13
I have a "quick " camp place as well..when the world bs level has gotten too high i grab my pack and canoe and go 5 miles from home to the choctawhatchee river...i put in ...kiss my wife( she is a great canoe wife) ...she goes and drops my jeep off at the take out point...it is only a 5 hr run so i canoe slow enjoy he world..work out what ever is bothering me..make a slash camp( hammock in trees beside sandbar)..fish alittle.. i usually stop about a half mile above the take out point so in the am ..i am up and to the jeep in just a few min..run home shower shave and back to the work place..it does wonders for my stress level..
bikenque..you said they stake the wheels and use guy lines........why not turn the bike over and set it onthe handlebars/seat..then use the wheels as the ridgeline..would seem to be more stable to me..

bikenque
04-13-2007, 09:53
bikenque..you said they stake the wheels and use guy lines........why not turn the bike over and set it on the handlebars/seat..then use the wheels as the ridgeline..would seem to be more stable to me..

No, that poses several problems. My bags are attached to the bike so they would end up upside down, the ground would scuff my leather seat and grips, potentially knock brake levers out of alignment, etc, etc.

Bikes function best with the rubber side down.

Just Jeff
04-13-2007, 15:04
Hammocks hammocks hammocks.... :D

funbun
04-13-2007, 15:10
Hammocks hammocks hammocks.... :D

The whole forum is about hammocks. Do you want us to talk about nothing but hammocks? You can't have a thread about bicycles and hammocks without talking about bicycles. It's almost as if you want to leave bicycles out of the thread. What's the deal?

bikenque
04-13-2007, 15:31
The whole forum is about hammocks. Do you want us to talk about nothing but hammocks?

Jeff, I side with funbun here. I'm new to this hammock forum, but I'm a long time member of many others. Forums should be a good place to discuss the main topic as well as sharing information that intersects with other related topics.

This thread has not veered off either topic, the two topics in the heading being hammocks and bicycle touring: bike tripping w/ hammock >> bike as hammock stand >> flipping bike upside down as hammock stand >> my reasons why bikes shouldn't be flipped upside down (to be used as a hammock stand).

I have lots of experience as a bike tourer but am just getting into hammock camping. I've learned a great deal from posters in this forum and hopefully I can share my experience as a bike camper to inform and encourage other members. That being said, I will remain conscientious of staying on topic in the future.

Just Jeff
04-13-2007, 15:36
Yes, the whole forum is about hammocks. There are hiking forums, biking forums, camping forums...but only one hammock forum (well, there's Yahoo hammockcamping group but it's an email list rather than a forum).

Talking about how you use a hammock on bike touring is on topic. Technical details about bikes belong on one of the bike forums or in a PM. A post or two isn't a big deal, but when the focus of the thread is no longer hammocks, please try to steer it back on topic. That's all...not trying to be a nazi, but this is a niche forum, not a general outdoors forum.

=====

Edit - you guys were talking about hanging the hammock from the bike? Sounded like you were talking about pitching a tarp on the ground with the bike...my mistake if that's not what you meant. But as a general guideline for the future, please keep the above in mind.

Just Jeff
04-13-2007, 15:42
And if the trailer is strong enough for a person to stand on it, you could pitch the hammock so the trailer could be like a front porch at the hammock's entrance. Keeps everything under the tarp, off the ground and out of the mud. Might be tough to keep the whole bike under the tarp and have the trailer positioned correctly though.

btourer
04-13-2007, 18:29
When doing a lot of climbing in the mountains the trailer will give you handling problems at slow speeds. Coming down at high speeds can suck also. If you've ever hauled a trailer with your car in the mountains you'll know what I'm talking about. Plus they're more suited for going into campgrounds and grassy tenting areas then they are for getting into stealthy hammocking spots. Going into the woods requires you to have to carry the bike over some obstacles like downed trees and such. You'd have to unhitch the trailer, carry in the bike and then come back after the trailer.

hawkeye
04-13-2007, 18:53
I plan on using my hommock this summer while touring. It gives you more "stealth" options to camp. I just built up my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Haven't toured in 20 years and can't wait to go!

funbun
04-14-2007, 11:21
Trailers = increased roll resistance and drag.

Where as hikers are ever lightening up, cyclists are trying to decease roll resistance and increase aerodynamic efficiency. That's why I use a recumbent highracer. There is an inverse relationship between the diameter of a bicycle wheel and it's roll resistance: smaller wheels = higher roll resistance; bigger the wheels = lesser the roll resistance.

Many touring bikes use 26 inch wheel and some use 700c wheel. Yet trailers have 16 to 20 inch wheel(s). Some trailers have two wheels some only have one. Either way you'd be adding enough roll resistance that it will feel like pulling another bicycle or more. You average speed will slow down a bunch (two or three miles per hour).

Plus panniers are attached to the bike. You could use one of your gear hammocks. Maybe two if you wanted. Or just make some pack covers.

Tourists are concerned about weight, but roll resistance and aerodynamics are more important IMO. So when reducing weight, concentrate on buying better, lighter, stronger components for your bike (like XT level or higher)l. That's where most tourists reduce weight.

neo
04-14-2007, 20:16
--------------------------------------------

Just Jeff
04-15-2007, 16:40
Another hammocking biker:
http://bike-europe-ultralite.com/elsassbiketour.htm

Seems he had some problems staying warm, though.

funbun
04-15-2007, 17:21
Yeah, but he didn't have a very well planned sleep system.

Just Jeff
04-15-2007, 18:30
True - I was gonna email him about this forum but the other pages were all in German!

stoikurt
04-16-2007, 09:16
Yeah, but he didn't have a very well planned sleep system.

Or urine disposal system.:D

blackie
04-17-2007, 20:02
neo ..i have a 88 jeep cherokee..good shape..with lots of trail exp..