PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Hang 2 - Bell Mt. Wilderness - Potosi, MO - Nov. 17-18

Disco
09-26-2012, 15:19
Missouri Hang 2
Bell Mt. Wilderness
Potosi, MO - Nov. 17-18
Meet at the Hwy A trailhead at 10am

This hike is a challenging, steep climb to the top, but the views are rewarding.
There is no reliable water source along the trail.

Please read this page for info:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/mtnf/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5123002&width=full

Post up if you plan to attend!

Skygzr
09-26-2012, 16:05
Missouri Hang 2
Bell Mt. Wilderness
Potosi, MO - Nov. 17-18
Meet at the Hwy A trailhead at 10am

This hike is a challenging, steep climb to the top, but the views are rewarding.
There is no reliable water source along the trail.

Please read this page for info:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/mtnf/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5123002&width=full

Post up if you plan to attend!

yes I will plan on being there

Gideon
09-26-2012, 20:33
You're good at this CB4!

Count me in; I'll be there. I may be bringing my 13 year old son.
Looking forward to it!!!

Also, work is consuming me but I'll post the few pictures I have of the 1st Missouri Hang when I get a moment to catch my breath!

Enjoy the day!
Gideon

Disco
09-26-2012, 21:14
awesome, guys! I'm looking forward to it already. It's been a couple years since I've been there. November is my favorite time of year. Ive had some of the best weather that time of year.

fgtayl01
09-28-2012, 18:29
Bell Mountain in November ? Man you guys are killing me.

Too early to say for sure but I'll get in on the calendar.

rngn
09-29-2012, 06:10
Put me down as a maybe, 4 hr drive for me.

Owl
10-02-2012, 15:13
I may try to make it out that way...we'll see how things are going.

hairbear
10-02-2012, 16:22
will we get to test our equipment into the low 30s this time.:shades:i might be a pop in again,if im welcome.

Disco
10-02-2012, 16:24
You never know with the weather around here! You sure are welcome, hope you can make it!

hairbear
10-02-2012, 16:53
how many miles of trail with no water

Disco
10-02-2012, 16:57
There is no reliable water source on this trail anywhere. It's 6 miles up, 6 miles down.

hairbear
10-02-2012, 17:03
hi cb4 any insight into the water?it says two creeks run through, but would not recomend using it any reasons you know of?

Disco
10-02-2012, 17:52
There's a nice creek at the trailhead, but that doesn't do us much good. I don't know where the other creek would be unless it's on the other side of the loop from the other trailhead where I've never been. I just hike up from the hwy A trailhead to the peak, then back down the same way.

hairbear
10-04-2012, 17:33
ok thx looking forward to seeing you guys again,had a good time last hang.

pilot
10-04-2012, 21:20
You guys know that's the second weekend of firearms deer season, right?

Gideon
10-04-2012, 23:48
Hope you can make it Hairbear, it would be good to see you again; never been there but I think CB4 said you had to pack in all your water. I'm excited because I get to see you guys again and because my youngest son is coming! And, I ordered a full lenth zero degree incubator UQ!
Enjoy the day!
Gideon

Disco
10-05-2012, 09:28
You guys know that's the second weekend of firearms deer season, right?

Yes, and I wondered about that, because hunting is allowed in that area, but the few people I talked to about it say that deer hunting is unlikely on the mountain because there are no ATVs allowed and it would be difficult to get a deer out of the area.
If anyone thinks it would be dangerous to go on this date, speak up and we can discuss moving the date.

hairbear
10-05-2012, 15:35
Hope you can make it Hairbear, it would be good to see you again; never been there but I think CB4 said you had to pack in all your water. I'm excited because I get to see you guys again and because my youngest son is coming! And, I ordered a full lenth zero degree incubator UQ!
Enjoy the day!
Gideonhey gideon good to hear from you.did you enjoy the bat cave on the wilderness trail,i thought it was pretty cool with that creek coming right out from under it.sounds like you will be toasty warm in the new u q.look forward to meeting your son, see you all there.maybe we can buy some steaks off a hunter lol.

Skygzr
10-07-2012, 14:35
Here is the Bell Mountain Trail Map. You can access from the Ozark Trail, parking is off Hwy A or you can access it from the northeast off of FR2359.
you can find this map on the Ozark Trail website it is the Taum Sauk Map mile 4-16
http://ozarktrail.com/maps/detailed/TaumSauk1mile4to16.jpg

Gideon
10-08-2012, 13:03
I doubt we'll see any hunters in that area for the reasons CB4 mentioned; looking forward to it and hoping my new UQ arrives in time. Goy a new pack so my son could use my current one; I like it when he has good gear too! Enjoy the day.
Gideon

BullFrog
10-08-2012, 21:55
I'd certainly like to go; put me down as a maybe.

Put me down as a maybe, 4 hr drive for me.

If I am able to go, we can carpool for half the way if you'd like; your route will bring you right by Edwardsville, where I live.

fgtayl01
10-09-2012, 16:53
I'd certainly like to go; put me down as a maybe.

If I am able to go, we can carpool for half the way if you'd like; your route will bring you right by Edwardsville, where I live.

O'Fallon here if you guys are looking to carpool.

polymath2718
10-11-2012, 21:53
After missing the last MO Hang, I am hoping to make it to this one; we'll see how work pans out.

rngn, I'll be driving from Peoria - I'd be up for a carpool.

rngn
10-12-2012, 19:03
Anybody that wants to carpool let me know rngn

soulsurvivor
10-13-2012, 23:46
this sounds great! i believe i can make this one. thank you bullfrog for the link!

Drumsetplyr87
10-14-2012, 19:28
Hoping to make this one. Driving from northern illinois down, so anyone on the way that wants to carpool- shoot me a PM.

What are the temps/weather like around there around the time of the hang? Trying to figure out if there are new goodies needing to be bought :p

Gideon
10-14-2012, 19:59
Sounds like we might have a good group! Weather and temp that time of the year are very fickle; there's simply no telling so you have to wait and see. when you get within 10 days you'll have a good idea. We could have snow or get some indian summer weather in the 70's!

I have an under quilt on order that I'm hoping makes it in! I sleep cold so I'm going to invest in an UQ/TQ so I can enjoy sleeping warm! Ironically when you add it up, a hammock cold gear setup is a lot heavier option than some of the ultralight tent setups but they're also the most comfortable!

My son and I are both really looking forward to it!

Skygzr
10-14-2012, 20:04
Sounds like we might have a good group! Weather and temp that time of the year are very fickle; there's simply no telling so you have to wait and see. when you get within 10 days you'll have a good idea. We could have snow or get some indian summer weather in the 70's!

I have an under quilt on order that I'm hoping makes it in! I sleep cold so I'm going to invest in an UQ/TQ so I can enjoy sleeping warm! Ironically when you add it up, a hammock cold gear setup is a lot heavier option than some of the ultralight tent setups but they're also the most comfortable!

My son and I are both really looking forward to it!

if I look at my Duomid pyramid tarp, neoair full mattress ( for winter, and I am old) a 0-20 degree sleeping bag and bivy depending on parcipitation, it is not much less than a hammock/TG/UQ and tarp. and as we all know, it is so much more comfortable to sleep above the ground.

I will be coming from the StL area saturday morning early if anyone want a ride as well.

Gideon
10-18-2012, 06:35
The way the fall colors are looking I almost wish we were going this weekend. I think we're going to be past the peak colors by a bit but the view should be more open. Should receive my Hammock Gear UQ this week and there's a good chance I'll have my TQ from them before the trip; I hate being cold at night but won't have to anymore!

Also just picked up a Tin Man alcohol stove on a whim. I have a Trangia and and MSR Pocket Rocket but decided to try this out. If you're only going to heat water for drinks, soup, rehydrating food, etc., for a day or two, there probably isn't a lighterweight option. I also learned that the rate of consumption for alcohol stoves can be different depending on whether you use a pot stand or not. The Tin Man stove works best if you put the pot right on the stove so there's no flame above the center, only out of the jets.

Also picked up a new pack so my son could also have a lightweight pack. I'm more excited that he wants to come and that he'll have good gear too and not be using cheaper 2nds. We got a Granite Gear VC 60; it seems like a wonderful pack.

Can't wait guys!

Gideon

Skygzr
10-18-2012, 07:56
Guys, just give a shout out if you need extra gear to stay warm. I have extra UQ and TQ and I may bring my peapod for myself depending on temps, so there is plenty to divide up at the trail head if you let me know.
Since it is one night, I am debating bringing real food! Since there is no real designated campsite on top of Bell Mountain, I can't remember if I ever saw a fire ring, that would be the determining factor if its brats (fire) or dehydrated (alcohol stove):lol::lol:

soulsurvivor
10-18-2012, 08:42
May need to take you up un that UQ for the night. Gonna try my hand at a diy incubator replica but not sure if it will get done and properly field tested in time. Also anyone who has any extra gear they are looking to maybe part with should bring it. Ill have cash and will pay top dollar for used items in good condition.

soulsurvivor
10-18-2012, 09:20
Anyone driving down after work fri? Ill be leavn danville about 2pm headin south for carpoolers. Be late friday night arrival around 8ish. Could use an UQ if one is available for the weekend.. Sil tarp and UQ are wanted to purchase .

Drumsetplyr87
10-18-2012, 09:23
I am hoping my orca full length is shipped to me by then! I only wish this was a 2 night ordeal :p

Skygzr
10-18-2012, 13:25
May need to take you up un that UQ for the night. Gonna try my hand at a diy incubator replica but not sure if it will get done and properly field tested in time. Also anyone who has any extra gear they are looking to maybe part with should bring it. Ill have cash and will pay top dollar for used items in good condition.

List of items

0 degree Incubator- full length
0 degree burrow
20 degree Incubator- 3/4 length
20 degree Golite quilt
40 degree incubator 3/4 length
40 degree burrow
40 degree home made peapod.

I will have to sort out what I need depending on the weather, but if any of this can help suppliment what anyone needs to stay warm, I will throw it all in the truck and bring it down. I will be leaving from St.Louis early Saturday morning as I won't get back into town until Friday night from work. I should be at the trail head by 10 am at the latest.

Did we ever decide which trail head we are meeting at yet?

Disco
10-18-2012, 13:46
We are meeting at the Hwy A trailhead at 10am.

Directions from Potosi:
Go South on Hwy 21 for 17 miles to Hwy 32. Take Hwy 32 West for 8 miles to Hwy A. Take Hwy A approx 5 miles South to site.

http://goo.gl/maps/z83A8

Skygzr
10-18-2012, 13:52
super :lol:

hairbear
10-18-2012, 14:37
Hoping to make this one. Driving from northern illinois down, so anyone on the way that wants to carpool- shoot me a PM.

What are the temps/weather like around there around the time of the hang? Trying to figure out if there are new goodies needing to be bought :p

im a litte north of there but ive rifle hunted that week in a tee shirt,also in snow.

Skygzr
10-18-2012, 14:46
im a litte north of there but ive rifle hunted that week in a tee shirt,also in snow.

Historical Temps are below, but on top of a ridge with any wind, I would count for 10 degree cooler. ( note the record low 16)

Nov 9
AVERAGES
Hi 58°F
Lo 38°F
RECORDS
Hi 75°F
Lo -

Nov.10
AVERAGES
Hi 57°F
Lo 38°F
RECORDS
Hi 82°F
Lo -

Nov. 11
AVERAGES
Hi 57°F
Lo 37°F
RECORDS
Hi 66°F
Lo 16°F

soulsurvivor
10-18-2012, 15:32
awesome. would love the chance to try one of the incubators! dibbs!!! lol i make a kick@!# pop can stove and standoff, anyone want one? ill bring one for each if wanted

Gideon
10-20-2012, 17:01
Awww; I just bought a pop can stove Soulsurvivor! Got a stove "kit" from Tin Man; I really like it but had to learn to use it correctly; only works well when you put the pot right on top of the stove. Love how lightweight it is. I'd also bought an MSR Pocket Rocket after seeing CB4's. If I'm going to cook in the pot and want to simmer food the MSR is the ticket but if I'm only going to heat water then the pop can alchohol stove is a LOT lighter set up.

I'm looking forward to seeing the ones you make; how well they work etc.

As for the cold, I'm hoping it is! My Hammock Gear 0 degree full length UQ shipped the other day so I'll have that and my HG 0 degree top quilt should be here by then as well so I'll be toasty warm! My son will use my Phoenix 20 degree 3/4 with a small pad for the feet along with my Marmot down bag used as a TQ. With the right layering of cloths that set up is good down to 25-30.

Just wish there was a stream on the top of Bell Mountain so we only had to carry enough water for the hike up!

Getting close!

soulsurvivor
10-20-2012, 21:25
cant have too many popcan stoves. i dehydrate my own meals so they are perfect for most things. great stuff but after 50-60 burns they can warp a bit especially if you boil heavier amounts of water. so always good to have a backup. mine burn well can boil 2 cups in 4min +or- 30sec. 5min= 1/2 oz alchohol

Gideon
10-21-2012, 11:38
I'm looking forward to seeing your stoves; also interested in learning how to dehydrate. I've learned I don't like cooking in pots and having to wash dishes on the trail. When I'm tent camping with the kids it's a different story, then I cook nice fresh meals but I'm going to try to do most of my cooking and eating out of small freezer bags to save on weight and clean up.

it's going to be a great hike!!

hairbear
10-21-2012, 20:48
I'm looking forward to seeing your stoves; also interested in learning how to dehydrate. I've learned I don't like cooking in pots and having to wash dishes on the trail. When I'm tent camping with the kids it's a different story, then I cook nice fresh meals but I'm going to try to do most of my cooking and eating out of small freezer bags to save on weight and clean up.

it's going to be a great hike!!im bringing some hawk vittles this time,cb4 made them look good last hang.it really looked good when i was scrubbing my burned pot,and looked over and he just ate and stashed the bag.

Disco
10-21-2012, 20:50
Yeah, Hawk Vittles rock! Easy make, easy cleanup, and they taste great!

hairbear
10-21-2012, 20:54
Yeah, Hawk Vittles rock! Easy make, easy cleanup, and they taste great!yeah i was droolin over your meal when i was eating my tuna surprise(taste was no surprise).will be good to see you guys again.

WebsterJ
10-22-2012, 16:39
My Thanksgiving plans have changed, and I may be able to make this hang. If so, looking forward to it.

edit: If I do make it I'll be heading down Friday night, and spending Friday night at the trail head. Is everyone else driving down Saturday morning?

Gideon
10-24-2012, 11:56
I'm also moving away from cooking in the pot as I explained; I had cleaning dishes on the trail. I like a good hot meal/drink so I'm not going to go "cookless" like some of the ultralight enthusiasts but the dehydrated meal are really convenient and a cook setup geared toward only heating water is light and easy.

Getting closer!

soulsurvivor
10-24-2012, 19:18
ill be there fri nite. but it will be around 8 or 9 pm. i love to arrive in a new place in the dark. so exciting. then you wake up in a whole new world.

hairbear
10-24-2012, 20:47
ill be there fri nite. but it will be around 8 or 9 pm. i love to arrive in a new place in the dark. so exciting. then you wake up in a whole new world.look for me i might get there friday afternoon.i might be up for a night hike to the top,wouldnt be hard to twist my arm.

soulsurvivor
10-24-2012, 21:07
have you done this hike before? what is it like? i am a bit of a night wanderer. sounds cool to me

hairbear
10-24-2012, 21:12
have you done this hike before? what is it like? i am a bit of a night wanderer. sounds cool to menever been there but ill have a good map and a good light.if the trail is anything like the wilderness or the berryman trail it should be a clear trail.let me look the map over and check for intersecting trails.could you get there before dark?

hairbear
10-24-2012, 22:04
There's a nice creek at the trailhead, but that doesn't do us much good. I don't know where the other creek would be unless it's on the other side of the loop from the other trailhead where I've never been. I just hike up from the hwy A trailhead to the peak, then back down the same way.hey cb4 do you plan on using the o t as way to get to the bell mountain and if so what direction are you taking the loop clock wise or counter.

Disco
10-24-2012, 22:36
Yes, we'll take the OT from the hwy A trailhead to the Bell Mt loop, then stay right to begin the loop counter clockwise. The peak is less than half way around the loop from there.

soulsurvivor
10-25-2012, 00:08
i doubt it. dont get off work until 2pm shootin straight south. i think about 5 or 5.5 hr drive for me. but i am equipped for a nite hike as well. we can exchange #s or info via pm if u want.

hairbear
10-25-2012, 05:20
i doubt it. dont get off work until 2pm shootin straight south. i think about 5 or 5.5 hr drive for me. but i am equipped for a nite hike as well. we can exchange #s or info via pm if u want.pm sent let me know if you want me to bring my mount washington 3 u q so you have 1 to use.its a loop so i think we will be fine we wil go in and wait to join cb4 so he can pick the camp he has in mind the next day.best part of a night hike is the trail out will be new to us in the day light.

Spider
10-25-2012, 08:50
Looks like you guys can add 2 more to the hang. Myself and Honeybear will be along for the hike. Sure hope the fall colors hold out a little longer.

Disco
10-25-2012, 09:12
Be careful if you decide to night-hike. There's lots of loose rock to twist an ankle on.

soulsurvivor
10-25-2012, 14:38
always careful. yes would definately like to try the underquilt. will i still need to bring my rollmat? oh and soul is my railroad nickname. you can call me either. but most of my hiking friends call me multipass... there is a story but its best left for the campfire.lol but lets just say im glad this one actually is a loop. sorta how i got that name.. come to think on it.... wish i could change that screenname now but i use that almost everywhere else so......eh.

ozarksoutlaw
10-25-2012, 14:50
We were through that area on the motorcycles last weekend and it was beautiful.

hairbear
10-26-2012, 05:35
Be careful if you decide to night-hike. There's lots of loose rock to twist an ankle on.yes the berryman was the same way i think its the horse travel that makes them so loose.i dont think you will need the pad but thats your call i would bring it in case something happened ,but the mount washington u q is of fine quality it should serve you well it has me.we will see what the trails like if we get a ways in and decide to hang there because of the loose trail ,no harm id feel safer in the woods than hanging in the parking lot.thanks for the heads up cb4.oh by the way get your booo hisss responce ready ,but id like to see it snow.i guess i shouldnt have said that i can see a group snow ball asault if it does.yeah yeah thats right it was gidean that wanted snow yeah thats right.lol

Disco
10-26-2012, 08:53
I've been there twice in the snow. It's beautiful.

rngn
10-26-2012, 13:26
Let it snow let it snow let it snow

hairbear
10-26-2012, 13:36
Let it snow let it snow let it snow

what do you think of your z pac tarp

rngn
10-26-2012, 14:05
I love my tarp Joe did a great job it was a custom. he will let design it any way you want very good stitch work and very lite 5 oz

hairbear
10-26-2012, 20:10
I love my tarp Joe did a great job it was a custom. he will let design it any way you want very good stitch work and very lite 5 oz

ive been looking for just the right size for my ridge runner in cuban thanks for your opinion.

hairbear
10-28-2012, 00:18
My Thanksgiving plans have changed, and I may be able to make this hang. If so, looking forward to it.

edit: If I do make it I'll be heading down Friday night, and spending Friday night at the trail head. Is everyone else driving down Saturday morning?look around for three others for fri at different times.

Gideon
10-31-2012, 18:23
I may try to make it down Friday night with my Son; wasn't planning on it but would like to make the most of the trip so if I can get off a bit early, I might do that as well.

I'll post if I'm definitely going to.

Gideon

soulsurvivor
11-01-2012, 14:45
dang. i keep looking and it still says "wilderness hang, forever from now".... hurry up nov 16!!!
soul

rngn
11-01-2012, 16:30
will you quit reminding me rngn check your txt

soulsurvivor
11-01-2012, 21:00
lol rngn i started a thread about it. hang this saturday @ kickapoo state park near danville. if anyone is game to meet us for a pre hang hang

hairbear
11-02-2012, 15:16
ill look for you and your son gidean.im hanging out this weekend at thousand hills state forest.got in the 30s last night was like toast.hey soul you said you were looking for used equipment,i decided last night to put my wbbb 1.1 double with adjustable webbing suspension ,and mount washington 3 u q on the trading block .the stuff is like new if you want ill bring it, and you can take it for a test flight.im feeling that 420 would be a good deal.

soulsurvivor
11-02-2012, 18:45
hmmm. i think my wallet just puckered. would love to try them for a night even if just for the ride.. not a bad deal just a bunch of money. i could prolly swing one or the other if i likey.. heck bring em, who needs to pay bills right? if they kick me out of my place ill have a new one in my pack. lol

hairbear
11-02-2012, 19:09
hmmm. i think my wallet just puckered. would love to try them for a night even if just for the ride.. not a bad deal just a bunch of money. i could prolly swing one or the other if i likey.. heck bring em, who needs to pay bills right? if they kick me out of my place ill have a new one in my pack. lolill bring them you can fly it if you like it so be it, if not no pressure i can sell them easy.you can make up your mind while you hang and enjoy the moment.i think i paid 190 for the hammock and 299 for the u q.all the gear is in new condition.gideon would you and your son want to join our night hike?

Gideon
11-04-2012, 13:53
We'll probably pass on the night hike; it'll be my son's first night in a hammock and i'm still getting the hang of it so better for us to set up during the day; I appreciate the offer.

We'll look forward to see you in the morning!

Gideon

Gideon
11-04-2012, 18:23
Well I mentioned the night hike idea to my son; he wants to try it; thinks it'll be an adventure no matter how it turns out :cool:

Gotta admit I like the "spunk" factor; so we may try to hook up with you guys at the trail head that evening and hike in for the night. Have you set a time to meet or decided how far in you're going to go?

I'm assuming we pack out in the morning to meet the rest at the trail head?

Have a good start to the week!

Gideon

hairbear
11-04-2012, 21:51
Well I mentioned the night hike idea to my son; he wants to try it; thinks it'll be an adventure no matter how it turns out :cool:

Gotta admit I like the "spunk" factor; so we may try to hook up with you guys at the trail head that evening and hike in for the night. Have you set a time to meet or decided how far in you're going to go?

Gideonwere going by soul survivors time frame so he would be the one to chime in on that one.i think its important to leave the camp spot to cb4 as he has put time in both hangs.soul has a friend going in early and we were going to the top to meet him,and wait at a temporary camp sight till the morning people come in.im sure cb4 has a nice spot in mind might also be interested in finishing the rest of the loop on the way out any idea as to the mile count for the loop?

hairbear
11-04-2012, 22:11

Gideontell your boy hes got spirit,and spirit will do i like that.

soulsurvivor
11-04-2012, 22:38
oh man, long as were out of the parking lot dont matter to me lol, we can hang anywhere. just want to get out in the night for a bit. not sure where we will meet up with rngn. i do know hes not afraid to put on some miles and has a knack for goin off trail. lol i am sure we will have a definate plan before we set out. as for me. im planning to arrive around 8pm at the trailhead so if i need to hike in a bit to catch up its all good. follow the breadcrumbs mmmmmm. cornbread crumbs

hairbear
11-04-2012, 22:50
oh man, long as were out of the parking lot dont matter to me lol, we can hang anywhere. just want to get out in the night for a bit. not sure where we will meet up with rngn. i do know hes not afraid to put on some miles and has a knack for goin off trail. lol i am sure we will have a definate plan before we set out. as for me. im planning to arrive around 8pm at the trailhead so if i need to hike in a bit to catch up its all good. follow the breadcrumbs mmmmmm. cornbread crumbsill be hanging in the timber by the trail head at 8 probably chatting with gideon and his son.

Gideon
11-05-2012, 11:19
If JAC and I can make it Friday night, we'll probably want to stay reasonably close to the trailhead; just hike in a bit and set up. That way we get the fun of going in at night but can be there to meet CB4 and the others when they show up in the morning and we can hike together. So maybe it'll be us Hairbear! Should be fun; I just hope it's not raining!

soulsurvivor
11-05-2012, 11:31
Close by sounds good to me. Never intended to hike the top at nite. Lol just wander a bit. Meet up and find a place to hang for the nite. Would like to be relatively close for the 10am meetup also. Rngn if youre goin in deep we will catch up in the am.

WebsterJ
11-05-2012, 15:30
Close by sounds good to me. Never intended to hike the top at nite. Lol just wander a bit. Meet up and find a place to hang for the nite. Would like to be relatively close for the 10am meetup also. Rngn if youre goin in deep we will catch up in the am.

+1 for this. I don't plan on hiking too far Friday night.

hairbear
11-05-2012, 16:16
this is getting cooler by the minute sounds good we will meet fri im going to head down thurs night so i can get there early friday to mess around in the wilderness and do my loner in the woods thing,maybe do the loop and come back to the trail head,or maybe do an out and back on the o t.see you all friday look forward to meeting you all.

rngn
11-05-2012, 22:23
Im going down on thursday night and will be on top friday afternoon doing some recon. My main objective is to find water at shut n creek which according to topo maps is 2500 feet due east south east of the peak of Bell MT, Hairbear I completely understand the loner thing. But if you want to get together thats cool ,Just let me know .

hairbear
11-06-2012, 17:44
Im going down on thursday night and will be on top friday afternoon doing some recon. My main objective is to find water at shut n creek which according to topo maps is 2500 feet due east south east of the peak of Bell MT, Hairbear I completely understand the loner thing. But if you want to get together thats cool ,Just let me know . that would be nice to find a spring at the top,ill look for you when i get up there.i probably will come up the clockwise trail.ill bring my filter id bet we can find water somewhere.

Skygzr
11-06-2012, 17:46
that would be nice to find a spring at the top,ill look for you when i get up there.i probably will come up the clockwise trail.ill bring my filter id bet we can find water somewhere.

I think you will find that 2500' from the summit is 2500' down in the valley!

hairbear
11-06-2012, 17:59
I think you will find that 2500' from the summit is 2500' down in the valley! then ill give rngn credit for finding it :lol:

rngn
11-06-2012, 18:27
Yes skygzr it is down in the valley 700 feet down in the valley to be exact and probaly want find a drop .oh well should have fun looking. going up will probaly not be fun though

matmore74
11-08-2012, 00:18
Looking to do a spring hang.. Anyone interested to do one here in the real mid west. Get in touch with me at [email protected] or go to my MO-hammock camping group on yahoo and we can talk. My group is new and up and coming I hope and its free..

hairbear
11-08-2012, 04:53
Looking to do a spring hang.. Anyone interested to do one here in the real mid west. Get in touch with me at [email protected] or go to my MO-hammock camping group on yahoo and we can talk. My group is new and up and coming I hope and its free.. what are the trails like in your area? good to hear from you.

hairbear
11-09-2012, 21:05
ive got most of my used gear spoken for.the remaining two things i could bring that are still for sale are,little bug wood- alcohol stove ,new never used with pouch.i also have a osprey atmos 65 pack.30 dollars on the stove and 140 on the pack.pack is last years model,5-600 miles on her,very good condition.

Gideon
11-12-2012, 09:40
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know my son and I "won't" be able to make it down Friday evening; I'm having to travel on business the end of this week and won't be getting back in town until late Friday night. I'm part disappointed, part relieved :rolleyes:

Anyway, we'll be there Saturday morning; did an overnighter last week to test the new UQ and TQ; they work great although I'm going to need a larger tarp. I have a Warbonnet Edge Tarp that I'm using on a BIAS hammock which is longer; the ends of the hammock are out past the tarp unless I shorten the hammock ridgeline as far as I can. I can get it under there but then the hammock hangs a lot lower compared to the tarp; not an ideal combination and in anything other than a light straight down rain I'll have problems.

Time to research a larger but lighter weight cuben fiber 4 season ;)

See you all Saturday
Gideon

Disco
11-12-2012, 10:23
We're just 5 days out! The weather looks great so far! See you all Saturday morning.

Fri
Nov 16
High 56°
Low 30°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:0%
WIND:NE at 6 mph

Sat
Nov 17
High 55°
Low 33°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:10%
WIND:E at 7 mph

Sun
Nov 18
High 53°
Low 34°
Mostly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:0%
WIND:ENE at 6 mph

Gideon
11-12-2012, 21:34
I'm excited; glad it's going to be cold out! Can't wait to see how my son likes his first night in a Hammock and in cold weather to boot! I know he'll be warm as toast; planned every detail from underwear to boots to layers to...well, you get the idea.

Funny how as we get older we get more excited about watching our kids have these experiences than we do in having them ourselves. It's the difference between bagging your 30th deer versus watching your kid get their first ever.

I'm also glad there's little chance of rain; I'm sporting mighty small tarps!

Gideon

jjschaf
11-12-2012, 23:43
Here are some pics from my solo overnight hike at Bell Mountain on Nov 18, 2010 (before I went to the trees). Been back there 2 or 3 times. Really pretty area. Do bring plenty of water. Great views at the top in the morning. I've hiked in from both trailheads and both are nice. I may be able to join you fellas, we'll see. Sounds like a good time.

Skygzr
11-13-2012, 08:15
I'm excited; glad it's going to be cold out! Can't wait to see how my son likes his first night in a Hammock and in cold weather to boot! I know he'll be warm as toast; planned every detail from underwear to boots to layers to...well, you get the idea.

Funny how as we get older we get more excited about watching our kids have these experiences than we do in having them ourselves. It's the difference between bagging your 30th deer versus watching your kid get their first ever.

I'm also glad there's little chance of rain; I'm sporting mighty small tarps!

Gideon

50's sounds great- just got back from the Iowa hang and it was 75 on Saturday and only got down to around 50 that night- :lol::lol:

hairbear
11-13-2012, 20:02
Here are some pics from my solo overnight hike at Bell Mountain on Nov 18, 2010 (before I went to the trees). Been back there 2 or 3 times. Really pretty area. Do bring plenty of water. Great views at the top in the morning. I've hiked in from both trailheads and both are nice. I may be able to join you fellas, we'll see. Sounds like a good time.very nice pics,im really going to like this trail.

polymath2718
11-14-2012, 20:05
Unfortunately, I can't make it to the hang - my big Thanksgiving dinner and get-together are now on this Saturday, not the actual holiday (it's a long story).

I wish I could be there - between the weather forecast and jjschaf's photos, it looks like it's going to be a great time.

soulsurvivor
11-15-2012, 11:03
There are 2 trailheads off of highway A. One is rite on the highway and it is the intersect for bell mt. And the ozark trail but only has a ozark trailhead.. The other is off highway A about 1 3/4mi in on a gravel road. This one actually has a bell mt. Wilderness trailhead. Which one are we meeting at?

Disco
11-15-2012, 11:10
The two trailheads are described on the forest service site as such:

How to get here:
FT 12 Trailhead: from Potosi, MO, take Hwy 21 South 18 miles to Hwy 32. Take Hwy 32 West 8 miles to Hwy A. Take Hwy A South approx 1/4 mile to first Forest Road SE Go approx 1/4 mile SE to site.

Hwy A Trailhead: from Potosi, take Hwy 8 one mile East to Hwy 21. Go South on Hwy 21 for 11 miles. Or take Hwy 21 South for 17 miles to Hwy 32. Take Hwy 32 West for 8 miles to Hwy A. Take Hwy A approx 5 miles South to site.

We are meeting at the latter. The "Hwy A Trailhead". It's a small parking lot right on the hwy.
Here's the google map I posted before in case anyone missed it: http://goo.gl/maps/z83A8

We're almost there!

hairbear
11-16-2012, 09:21
The two trailheads are described on the forest service site as such:

How to get here:
FT 12 Trailhead: from Potosi, MO, take Hwy 21 South 18 miles to Hwy 32. Take Hwy 32 West 8 miles to Hwy A. Take Hwy A South approx 1/4 mile to first Forest Road SE Go approx 1/4 mile SE to site.

Hwy A Trailhead: from Potosi, take Hwy 8 one mile East to Hwy 21. Go South on Hwy 21 for 11 miles. Or take Hwy 21 South for 17 miles to Hwy 32. Take Hwy 32 West for 8 miles to Hwy A. Take Hwy A approx 5 miles South to site.

We are meeting at the latter. The "Hwy A Trailhead". It's a small parking lot right on the hwy.
Here's the google map I posted before in case anyone missed it: http://goo.gl/maps/z83A8

We're almost there! hey cb4 ,my tarp didnt come before i left,so dont leave without your tarp.see you soon.

Disco
11-16-2012, 09:38
hey cb4 ,my tarp didnt come before i left,so dont leave without your tarp.see you soon.

Ok, no problem

WebsterJ
11-16-2012, 11:23
Well, I'm bowing out. I caught a cold this week. I was hoping I would be over it by today, but it's hanging around. As much fun as this looks it's tough to get motivated to drive 5 hours to hike up Bell Mountain, sick.

You guys have fun. I'll try to catch the next one.

rngn
11-17-2012, 18:31
Awesome view perfect weather

Clinton
11-21-2012, 10:47
Any picstures for us guys in the area.

Disco
11-21-2012, 11:01
Any picstures for us guys in the area.

Clinton, check out the Trip Report. There's quite a few pics there. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62957

Clinton
11-27-2012, 09:51
Cool pics! When is the next hang?

Disco
11-27-2012, 10:24
Cool pics! When is the next hang?

Jan. 19-20

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63079

hope you can make it!