PDA

View Full Version : OES MacCat Standard

Darwin S and A
09-26-2012, 17:31
I bought this tarp last May to use on a hike from NY to VT on the AT. The hike was about 250 miles and I hiked it in 15 days and took 2 zeros for fun or friends.

I use a Warbonnet BB and this tarp was perfect at protecting me the whole time. It may not be the longest ridgelined tarp out there but it was enough to cover the hammock from head to toe. If you're handy, sowing tie outs for the walls would help a lot with getting a little more room under the hammock.
The tarp has been flawless and has not leaked (I purchased the seam sealing) and after a couple hundred miles is still looking great.

Porch mode is doable and fun but doesn't hold up in crazy heavy rain.
This past weekend I was out in one of the most torrential downpours I've been in outside. The tarp kept me dry and broke the wind well.

THe only thing that I found a problem with in the shortness of the ridge line so hanging gear at the end of the hammock could get sprayed with rain.

I give it a 5 out of 5

dragon360
09-26-2012, 19:13
You've put some miles on that tarp already! I really like all my OES kit!

Syb
09-26-2012, 19:19
Love my Standard in Spinn. Kept me dry this past weekend during some downpours. Great piece of gear.

J.Andersons
09-26-2012, 23:49
Having bigger and more slow to setup MacCat Ultra with two more tieouts ant it stood strong in some stormy weather in one hangout, not rained that night but windblow had ~20m/sec and tarp protected me just fine from that side wind as windbreak. At that campsite I seen some tents blown away from their original locations.

s1125r
10-02-2012, 19:10
Glad to hear you are happy with your kit, I'm a huge fan of my tarp as well.

exup
10-03-2012, 20:45
I had Brian make mine with pull outs. Best idea ever. More for wind sake than space. But it does add a little space. Went through some tough storms with mine.