PDA

View Full Version : Structural Ridgeline on Speer Hammock

Bug-Bait
02-16-2007, 16:45
Hi All,
I hope to start sewing a Speer Hammock this weekend from a kit that I bought from Ed if my girlfriend will show me how to use her sewing machine.

I'd like to know how many of you have installed a structural ridgeline on Speer type hammocks and if you think that it is worthwhile doing so?

Also, Jeff talks about using a "zip-tie" when whipping the ends of a speer type hammock. Is a "zip-tie" the same thing as a plastic wire tie? I have a gun that closes these types of ties and with it they can be tightened to varying degrees of tightness. If they are one and the same, is there a particular size that is better than others and is "as tight as possible" the best thing to do?
Thanks,
Michael
www.qpens.com

hangnout
02-16-2007, 19:18
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=286

The link above is to another thread discussing ridgelines on speer hammocks. I like using a ridgeline on my speer style hammock.

I have used wire ties on test hammocks several times with no problems. I will usually whip the ends when I get it like I want it. I think I remember these being discussed on a previous thread about the different types of ties

Found the link that has a discussion about wire ties
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=444

headchange4u
02-16-2007, 19:43
I think most people, myself included, use structural ridge line on their Speer-type hammocks. I like knowing that I have the same sag every time I hang it.

slowhike
02-16-2007, 22:07
i don't use a ridge line, or at least i haven't until now. the reason i'm using one now is to support the end covers /w storage.
though it's a strong line that's intended to support weight, it's not permanently attached but on one end.
the reason being the same reason i haven't liked using a ridge line in the past. i don't hang w/ much sag so a permanent ridge line attached at both ends is to close to the hammock & in the way.
so i tie the loose end to the tree high enough that it's out of the way.
i may experiment w/ more sag again later, because a permanent ridge line that sets the sag each time would be nice. i wouldn't have to think as much:D

Coffee
02-17-2007, 00:52
I use and really like my ridgeline. As headchange said, same hang everytime. I just attached mine to the loop sewn in the webbing. It doesn't matter that much where you put it on the ends. As long as it sets the sag each time your good to go.

I used those wire tie guns a few times, pretty cool actually. Just make sure you do not over tighten them. Those things set up to high will dammage the nylon.

I made a noseeum pocket that hangs from mine similar to the HH ones. Works great to hold small things and my glasses while I sleep.

Just Jeff
02-19-2007, 21:06
I think my zipties are the same thing as the wire ties you're talking about. Mine are all plastic....just a strip of plastic with an opening at one end. Loop the strip and put the end through the opening..."zip" it in and it holds the position. Tighten it down and it'll keep the hammock end gathered tightly.

Doctari
02-19-2007, 22:53
I use a ridgeline. I can hang from trees from 9 to 15+ foot apart, with the same sag (or nearly so) everytime. I just switched to spectra cord from nylon webbing, works just as well.

As posted above, not only does it help set up, but you can also hang stuff from it, it keeps / helps the tarp support, etc. I use mine to help me sit up (OK, so I'm old :eek: ) which I can do even through the bug netting.

Based on admitedly limited experience, I would highly recomend a ridge line.

Doctari.

tyro
02-20-2007, 20:39
I'm definitely a fan of using a ridgeline. Makes everything much easier. Also, if you use bugnetting, it's helpful to hold that off your face.

blackbishop351
02-20-2007, 20:44
Ridgelines are definitely the way to go. Bugnetting, hammock sock, sag, and storage...just to name a few purposes.

rptinker
03-31-2007, 18:40
Yeah! You can also tie a length of rope/cord with a prussik knot on the center of the ridgeline. It will serve as a convenient handhold when you get up or when you change position.

lvleph
03-31-2007, 19:00
Zipties
http://www.guineapigcages.com/images/zipties.jpg
I use them because they are so simple and easy to take off. Just cut it.

Nightwalker
07-06-2007, 00:19
Convinced me!

I just made a ridgeline for my ENO hanging in the yard. It makes the tree choice much simpler, just use a pair wide enough for the Neo tarp to hang diagon alley. It only took two tries to get it to suit me, but I'm leaving some extra line, because I'm certain that I'll change my mind some at first*.

*Trust me on this one. Even more than on the sun screen.