PDA

View Full Version : MacCat Deluxe Tarp

Ongs-Hat
11-03-2008, 17:26
Looking for a MacCat Deluxe Tarp or something very similar for my AT thru.

Thanks Joe:D

ankh
11-03-2008, 21:25
When are you planning on going? I plan on 2010, using the MacCat Deluxe as well, and the nest and the no sniveler. Thats todays plan anyway. I agree the tarp is the way to go and carried separately form my HH. I've got lots of thoughts but not a lot of experience on this, how bout you. ankh

koaloha05
11-03-2008, 21:48
Picked up a MacCat Deluxe version made of Spinntex. Lighter and no mist through than the silnylon tarp. It provided good coverage under some relatively extreme conditions. One night the winds were a steady 30knots with gust in excess of 40 knots. Trees and moderate uphill on the windward side cut the wind a bit. Only problem was the occasional gust that wrapped around the trees or zipped under the sides. Enough to rock the hammock. Should have probably rigged the tarp down to the ground. Another night experienced very heavy showers and steady rainfall. For thru hike others with long term use will need to comment. The MC is my primary tarp. Purchased a Speers SWT before the MC, but so far have found no real need for the extra coverage. The SWT has become my car camping hammock tarp.