PDA

View Full Version : Joining the DD party - any wisdom to share?

DanRomani
10-05-2012, 08:05
I've just received (very quick) delivery of my DD travel Hammock with whoopie sling suspension kit and XL tarp.

I'm planning to use it while touring UK and Europe on my motorbike next summer; so I have plenty time to get used to it/modify it etc.

I'm off to plunder this forum for information about getting the right hang, installing an internal ridge line, tarp setup for bivvy mode etc, modifications, etc etc

Any suggestions on these topics, general hints and tips from other DD users or even recommendations of beautiful places/good biking roads to visit in Europe would be much appreciated here as well :)

DanRomani
10-05-2012, 09:16
I might add that I'm a complete newbie.

Not just to hammock camping but to any form of camping! So, anything you know is likely to be useful =D)

Dan

Lister
01-15-2013, 13:24
I would start by ensuring you have a good sleeping bag and some form of ground/underhammock insultation as laying in a hammock compressed the bottom of the sleeping bag giving you CBS....cold butt syndrome

NarlocB
01-17-2013, 09:23
You can use a pad with the hammock as well. I've only been in mine once since I got it. But as soon as I can escape for a weekend i plan to sleep for 36 hours straight in it!!!!

Passinthru
01-17-2013, 11:24
The only modifications I made to my Frontline were to add a couple of eyelets on each side to use as tie-outs to help spread the hammock - seemed like a good idea but I have never used them. I like the 'hug'.
The other mod I made was to add some more short strips of velcro to secure the opening between the bottom layers a little better. On the newer model that may not be needed.
For bottom insulation I have used a windshield reflector or a rectangular sleeping bag placed between the layers. Both worked well. It seems that the sleeping bag did not compress as much as if I were laying directly on it. I have tried a DIY underquilt but have not have much success getting a good fit yet.
I run my tarp ridgeling under the tarp and then attach the bugnet to the ridgeline with lightweight shock cord with a tautline hitch. That way I don't have to run the bugnet lines all the way to the support trees.

DanRomani
01-18-2013, 07:13
That's all really good advice, thanks!

I'm using your idea for suspending the bugnet - it's far simpler than tying out to the trees =D)

I've turned an old sleeping bag into a DIY underquilt, the fit is not excellent and, along with a sleeping pad in between the bottom layers, it mostly eliminates CBS.

Passinthru
01-18-2013, 07:37
There is also a thread on here somewhere about 'mini spreader bars', probably in the DIY forum, for this type of hammock that hold the end channels a few inches apart to possibly make a more comfortable lay. Haven't tried this yet but plan to someday - just out of curiosity.

craige
01-18-2013, 08:37
Congrats on your purchases.

What way are you planning to use your tarp? The 4.5m x 3m will mean you have to have trees very fary apart or pitch it very high.

I have seen the bug net tied to the tarp tie outs.

You may want to get some non stretch line to string up your tarp, I have used cheap webtex paracord and the stock guy lines with my 4x4 dd tarp and experienced quite a bit of stretch and I had to tighten everything a couple of times.

My tarp is huge and wouldn't stuff into the sack it came in (well, it did but was extremely difficult) and I had to fold it, you will probably hqve to do the same.

Not really sure how you could add a structural ridgeline to a dd? You may have to poke a hole in the bug net if you really want one?

The fact that you are new to camping means you probably made a wise decision on you gear choice... you'll probably be quite rough on your gear and dd stuff is pretty much bombproof in my limited experience. The only downside is weight and bulk.

Hope this helps. :D

Sparkfly88
02-03-2013, 00:16
Make or buy a set of snakeskins for the tarp.

My dd front line came with one, and i love it so much I made myself one for the tarp.

Beanie
02-03-2013, 05:34
Plus one on the snakeskins, they make deploying the tarp so much easier in the wind, mine are silnylon but if I was to replace them I would seriously look at the skins made from bug netting as they allow some of your tarp to dry.

I use a karrimat in my hammock they work ok but can be a pain if you move around a lot ( I may add some velcro to keep it in place) with a sleeping bag opened up and over me like a quilt.

K0m4
02-03-2013, 05:53
I started out with a foam pad for my DD, and afterwards bought the snugpak uq. BOth work, but the uq is vastly more comfy. However, and I have been pondering this myself, on the continent wild camping is not allowed (generally), so you'd be either stealth camping or visiting camp grounds. The camp grounds oftentimes cater mostly to caravans and RVs, and with a tent area. I'm wondering if there are trees to strap the hammock to at all these places? So it might be a good idea to go for the foam pad as bottom insulation, so that you have the option of sleeping on the cold, hard ground when need be. *shudder*

richtorfla
02-03-2013, 09:15
Plus one on the snakeskins, they make deploying the tarp so much easier in the wind, mine are silnylon but if I was to replace them I would seriously look at the skins made from bug netting as they allow some of your tarp to dry.

I use a karrimat in my hammock they work ok but can be a pain if you move around a lot ( I may add some velcro to keep it in place) with a sleeping bag opened up and over me like a quilt.

I wonder if you can dab little balls of silicone or seamgrip to the bottom of your karrimat to keep it from slipping around under you. That's a old ground dweller trick to keep your mat from slipping out from under you in a tent. Might keep in place in a hammock. Never tried that out.

BackPackHiker
02-21-2013, 12:51
One of my favorite things about the DD hammocks is the Bivy option. This is the most spacious bivy hammock I have ever used. I like to use my walking poles to hold the bug net and tarp over me and I am good to go. Great for if you are hiking in a place with nowhere to hang.

I have always wanted to try sleeping on the beach with this set up.

Check out my website if you want to see the way I set this up as a bivy, I have a video review of it there, www.campinghammockreviews.com

turnerminator
02-21-2013, 17:13
You chose well, the DD Travel is good. :)

I've had one for 3 years now. You'll find you get more condensation in it with pads and mats than underquilts but it was never a problem for me. Mine has been down to well under -10 a few times and done 150 plus nights.

A few tips;
use your sleeping bag as quilt if you can-condensation is much reduced.
Take out sharp objects from your pockets and tape sharp zippers-I've put 3 holes in mine that way which I have repaired.
Ignore DD's hang tight instructions-a 20-30 degree sag angle is bang on for most people.

As for places to ride, forget mainland Europe and head for Norway is my suggestion. Take in Telemark, Preikestolen, Hardangervidda, Jotunheimen, Trollstiggen and the Atlantic road on the west coast. You can't speed there but the scenery is so jaw dropping that it needs to be taken slow ( apart from the tunnels)

Hope this helps :)

Jmuzz
03-04-2013, 08:45
I added an internal ridge line, it's a pretty rough job but it works.
The shape of the bug net isn't great with ridge line, all crumples up at the ends and sags, I added some foam block things to push out which tightens the ends.

Can't really recommend my method though.
Has anyone made a real neat solution?

mattblick
03-07-2013, 08:09
If using the tarp squared/rectangle for "front porch mode", you might want to reinforce the tie-outs you attach to, or don't pitch it super tight. The tie-outs in the 4 corners are reinforced incredibly, but the ones on the sides not so much.

For reinforcement you can probably use the same stuff I did for the repair - McNett Tenacious tape. The "sage green" color actually matches up pretty well to the tarp if you got the dark green one.