PDA

View Full Version : Complete WL Winter Kit - Any suggestions?

Tobit
10-08-2012, 13:52
I am getting ready to place a rather large order with Marty sometime this week. I am retiring a four year old DD Hammock and in need of a new complete winter kit.

Here is what I am looking to pull the trigger on:

Night Owl with adjustable ridgeline
Oldman Winter Tarp, 144", with flatline mod
3/4" Down Under Quilt with 8 oz. extra down
XXL Top Quilt with 6 oz. extra down
Large Lazy Slug Tube

I think this will be a really nice setup and I'm hopeful, with proper clothing, to get down to 0F degrees with this.

Any suggestions on anything I should reconsider or do differently? For reference, I am 6' 2" tall and 280 lbs. I am debating a tarp skin but I have been using tarps for six years and never saw the need for one and, to be honest, it would put me a bit over budget to add it on at this time. Hell, this is all more than I should spend on but it should be worth it long term. :cool:

Thanks!

zetroe
10-08-2012, 17:18
Why so much overstuff? I am guessing it is to push the rating lower but maybe marty could make larger custom baffles for you? Looks like an awesome set up he is great to work with and order from!

Tobit
10-08-2012, 17:21
Why so much overstuff? I am guessing it is to push the rating lower but maybe marty could make larger custom baffles for you? Looks like an awesome set up he is great to work with and order from!
Yeah, his standard stuffs == a quilt rated to 15F degrees. Over-stuffing should get me to 0F or even a little lower.

XSrcing
10-08-2012, 17:34
1 lb, 1 oz of down in 3/4 underquilt sounds like a bit much.

Tobit
10-08-2012, 17:43
1 lb, 1 oz of down in 3/4 underquilt sounds like a bit much.
Quite possible but overkill has always been my middle name. Weather here in the White Mountains can change quite unexpectedly and extremely. I just want to be sure the quilt is good to 0F or -5F degrees.

Edit: Hammock Gears 0F Phoenix uses 12 oz. of 900 FP down for 0F degrees so I figured an extra 6 to 8 oz. of 850 would be ideal on WL's UQ.

ferret
10-08-2012, 17:48
Dont forget too much down can actually work adversely. Unless you increase the baffle size the down could get too compressed and not be a warm as you think. The WL guys probably would know, best to ask them.

Tobit
10-08-2012, 17:49
Dont forget too much down can actually work adversely. Unless you increase the baffle size the down could get too compressed and not be a warm as you think. The WL guys probably would know, best to ask them.
Well, the overstuff I specified is a standard "option". I wouldn't think Marty would offer it if it didn't work.

jrs
10-08-2012, 18:01
sounds like good rigging and Not meaning to intrude a personal preference, but why not a full length uq, thus altering what ud have to carry or use for lower leg area, in light of getting the xxl TQ, seems it would be a matching set up, just wondering, btw you'll love the night owl, might also consider 2QZQ UQP, jim

Tobit
10-08-2012, 18:07
sounds like good rigging and Not meaning to intrude a personal preference, but why not a full length uq, thus altering what ud have to carry or use for lower leg area, in light of getting the xxl TQ, just wondering, btw you'll love the night owl, might also consider 2QZQ UQP, jim
This isn't my first rodeo, I carry extra socks and down booties regardless. I am trying to reduce bulk a little bit and I've never tried a 3/4 quilt so I'm curious. The XXL TQ is more for my top half cause I'm such a fat ***. I am very broad chested/shouldered. I don't think the king would work and, since I am a side sleeper, I've always liked large TQs. I'll definitely give the 2QZQ UQP some consideration. :cool:

flatline
10-08-2012, 19:37
Tobit, that's a rocking set up! i'm jealous.
you're really gonna love your new WL rig.

i'm partial to a full length UQ for the really cold weather, but that's just me.
another personal pref. is, i have to have my UQ a different color than my hammock. that makes it easier for me to get back into the hammock at 3am.
(i cracked my coccyx when i missed my LO sat down in UQ, both coyote)

must see some pix when you're all set up.
__bob__

Tobit
10-08-2012, 20:49
Just placed my order, gonna be broke for awhile but Martyn is taking care of me the best he can.

mattyg
10-08-2012, 22:07
whats the flatline mod on the tarp?

SkronkyKong
10-08-2012, 22:13
Talk about downy goodness

flatline
10-08-2012, 22:18
whats the flatline mod on the tarp?

i'm honored, but, it's really the addition of a center pole.

zetroe
10-08-2012, 23:30
Where did you get the pole for the mod?

Tobit
10-09-2012, 04:55
Where did you get the pole for the mod?
yardsales, ebay, old tents, or you can make new ones from suppliers like Quest:

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT POLES

flatline
10-09-2012, 07:34
here is another thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50130) from a while back.

Tobit
10-09-2012, 07:35
I still can't believe I ordered all this from Marty last night. I can't wait!

Tobit
10-09-2012, 08:44
Marty told me this morning that they always adjust baffle size accordingly when they over stuff. I will be fine. :cool:

XSrcing
10-09-2012, 08:50
Marty told me this morning that they always adjust baffle size accordingly when they over stuff. I will be fine. :cool:

Very nice!

I'm way jealous!

Caveman
10-09-2012, 08:52
Oh wow....that's going to be an awesome set up! I'm sure you will love it all.

gator1981
10-09-2012, 11:44
you'll definitely love the XXL TQ. It fits us big guys just right.

Tobit
10-09-2012, 11:46
I went with the following colors:

Hammock: Black
TopQuilt: Black
UnderQuilt: Foliage Green
OM Winter: Black

:D

flatline
10-09-2012, 12:35
I went with the following colors:

Hammock: Black
TopQuilt: Black
UnderQuilt: Foliage Green
OM Winter: Black

:D

awesome color combo!

OutandBack
10-09-2012, 14:03
Tobit why a 3/4 length UQ for winter? With all the overstuff it can't be for weight savings?

I frequently winter hang at 20 and below and much prefer a full length UQ.
Here's my winter hammock kit:
WL snipe, WL King 20F TQ, WL full 20F UQ overstuffed. 2QZQ UQP
Hvy down coat with hood, insulated over pants. Blackrock hat, SD downbooties and possumdown gloves.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8071319619_d091089db0_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8456/8071244270_1d756864b6_z.jpg

OutandBack
10-09-2012, 14:09
One thing you find real fast at below freezing is the edges of your UQ. Burrrrrr

Tobit
10-09-2012, 14:34
Tobit why a 3/4 length UQ for winter? With all the overstuff it can't be for weight savings?
I never tried one and wanted to give it a try. :)

bob2guns
10-09-2012, 20:17
(i cracked my coccyx when i missed my LO sat down in UQ, both coyote)

sure hope ya didn't hurt the UQ !!!

gotta admit...missed the LZ a couple times myself...no casulties

Tobit
10-10-2012, 09:37
Ok, slight change of plans. Marty and I have been talking and we've decided to go with a full-length underquilt and we are over stuffing it with 4 oz. :cool:

Caveman
10-10-2012, 09:45
I think that was a good move. Full length is nice. Now you really have "The Perfect Set up" :)

OutandBack
10-10-2012, 13:28
Ok, slight change of plans. Marty and I have been talking and we've decided to go with a full-length underquilt and we are over stuffing it with 4 oz. :cool:

You won't regret it Tobit now you will be able to stretch out and move around in total warmth. Hope I helped in your decision.

Tobit
10-10-2012, 13:37
Hope I helped in your decision.
Yeah, I appreciate any and all comments. Your setup is nice, I'll probably be adding a 2Q UQP at some point as well.

flatline
10-10-2012, 13:39

now you're talking.

i believe you'll like the additional comfort.

i know i do!

Tobit
10-10-2012, 19:36
Marty was cutting material today and sewing tomorrow. :drool:

Tobit
10-11-2012, 13:14
Holy snitz! Guess what I just received in my email.. insane turn-around time of three pieces of custom gear. Thanks Marty, I can't wait!

Hello Tobit,

Your package from WILDERNESS LOGICS is on its way. You can track it online using this tracking number.

flatline
10-11-2012, 14:31
Wilderness Logics is a MAGICAL purveyor of awesomeness!

Tobit
10-11-2012, 16:47
I just finished making a pole for the pole mod on the tarp. I went with .340 poles as I already had some material. They are a little heavier than the .344 nanolites but should still work fine. Set the length to 114". :cool:

Tobit
10-12-2012, 13:46
I really hope this Night Owl is comfy for me. I am already planning my next hammock, a Snipe, for summer use. However, I am going to need to shed a few more pounds before I can lay in a Snipe.

flatline
10-12-2012, 14:06
I really hope this Night Owl is comfy for me. I am already planning my next hammock, a Snipe, for summer use. However, I am going to need to shed a few more pounds before I can lay in a Snipe.

im sure you'll find it to be so comfortable that you will not want to get out.

i'm 6'1" 200ish and my SRL is 108" and i find that to be a very flat and comfortable night's sleep. i tighten the foot box from 24"down to about 16" and the head to 18-20".
i slept in mine last night. it was SWEET!

fear not, you made a really Great buy!

__bob__

Tobit
10-12-2012, 14:31
If it comes tomorrow or Monday, which it should, I am heading to the woods on Tuesday. My new cell phone is supposed to be able to take really nice video so I'm going to try it out and get the whole setup on video. :cool:

I am getting really anxious, I can't wait.

Tobit
10-15-2012, 13:02
I just got a nice size box from some yahoo in Thomasville, NC, I better open it up right away. :D

Shipping weight says 10 lbs., not bad I say. Going to me a bit less once I throw away the shipping box and ditch some of the stuff sacks. Not bad for a hammock, suspension, winter tarp, and two overstuffed quilts geared for 0F degree weather.

Time to unpack and organize everything for an overnighter tomorrow! I can't believe it took only one week (exactly) to get all of this gear in my hands. That yahoo in Thomasville really knows what he's doing. :cool:

http://i46.tinypic.com/152ylhw.jpg

Tobit
10-15-2012, 13:30
Unboxed, awesomeness such as this doesn't happen on a Monday too often.

http://i45.tinypic.com/qo92mv.jpg

From left to right:

XXL Top Quilt, Black, 22 oz. of 850 down
Full Underquilt, Foliage Green, 18 oz. of 850 down (gray sack)
Oldman Winter Tarp, Black with Pole Mod
Night Owl Hammock, Black

Everything is sitting on a set of gray Lazy Tubes. Wow, these lazy tubes are huge, can't wait to try out this type of "bishop bag", I have never packed this way before. My winter backpack has a bottom section for sleeping bag stowing, going to see if it will all stuff into that section.

This is going to be a really nice setup, I can't wait to head to the woods tomorrow.

Tobit
10-15-2012, 17:39
Well, I just weighed everything up. Total weight of my winter logics kit, including hammock suspension, is 121.8 oz. == 7.612 5 pounds. I don't think that is bad at all. Only items I have not factored in are tarp lines and stakes. I will be carrying different stakes depending on snow and frozen ground conditions.

I'm actually concerned I will be a little too warm on tomorrows trip. The low tomorrow night is currently forecast for 34F degrees. :)

flatline
10-15-2012, 19:53
Awesome!
you'll love it.
i find that the LST is easier to stuff into my pack through the top opening.
my golite has a sleeping bag compartment but i just disconnected the internal divider and cram the LST in thru the top.

here is a bad video that shows me breaking camp and cramming the slug tube into my alice pack.

9NFPjxIMYFU?t

Congratulations on a Great set-up from my favorite vendor.
__bob__

Tobit
10-15-2012, 19:58
my golite has a sleeping bag compartment but i just disconnected the internal divider and cram the LST in thru the top.
Yeah, my pack is the same way, I will probably just disconnect the divider as well. I just finished packing for my overnighter tomorrow. I'll try to take as many photos, and maybe a video, as I can.

Tobit
10-16-2012, 11:28
Just finished making camp, I am very pleased thus far. More later.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/17/dujybusa.jpg

flatline
10-16-2012, 19:17
Just finished making camp, I am very pleased thus far. More later.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/17/dujybusa.jpg

THAT'S what i'm talkin' about!

Tobit
10-17-2012, 15:12
Full trip report -- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61203

Tobit
10-22-2012, 17:30
The black silnylon material is very interesting.. it appears dark blue with the sunlight coming through. It's very nice.

I have not perfected the hang yet to get the best lay for me but I'm working on it and getting closer.