PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Late Night, Um, Trips

Jonas4321
02-19-2007, 11:38
Sorry, I tried to make the title a little tactful :rolleyes:. This really applies only to guys.

It was brought up on Yahoo a year or so ago, but I knew I could never do the acrobatics that Ed Speer was describing.

For years I have exited the hammock at around 2am to urinate, and that has been the only thing that has disturbed my slumber (short of the horrendous lightning storms).

I went snowshoeing / hammock camping this weekend, and by the time I got myself situated in my hammock at around 9pm, on top of my down-filled air mattress, inside my sleeping bag, the last thing I wanted to do was leave my nice warm cocoon (I have a Speer-type hammock).

I had taken an empty 32 oz Gatorade bottle to bed with me, and my plan was to simply sit on the edge of (or stand beside) my hammock, use the bottle, then quickly return to the warmth of the bag.

That worked the first time at around 11pm, but at 15 degrees outside, it was going to be the last.

The second time at 2am (I kept myself well hydrated all day), I emptied the bottle as far away from my hammock as I could reach while still in my hammock (the snow was 2-3 feet deep in most places), then turned on my side inside my sleeping bag and was able position the bottle upright, and while on my side, conveniently and safely empty my bladder into it.

I screwed the cap on snugly and put the bottle into my gear hammock and very quickly went back to sleep.

Three hours later, I repeated the process (remember, I kept myself WELL hydrated all day), and was amazed to discover how easy it was by simply lying on my side. The "squattiness" of the bottle made it easy to hold it nearly upright, assuring me that I would not spill it by tipping it.

I will never, ever get up out of my hammock for a mid-night pee trip again. It was also nice not trying to "hold it in" for just a few hours until it was time to get up.

Anyone else have any tips or techniques for this activity?

Jonas

headchange4u
02-19-2007, 11:51
I did the same thing at the Mt. Rogers camp out. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but since you brought it up I will also admit to it. :) I used a 1 liter Pepsi bottle with the wide mouth. A Gatorade would be much better because it's a little shorter and has a wider mouth.

Yeah that method works great and it can even provide a little extra warmth if needed (j/k). Just make sure you don't get that bottle mixed up with a water bottle.

Coffee
02-19-2007, 11:57
Interesting, but good story.

I'm with you. I usually try to stay well hydrated through the day while hiking. That usually means 3 or so nature breaks. I am working on the move where I can go off the side of the hammock. That way I do not need to get out. I don't really like the hole pee bottle concept. As long as I go hammock right and my gear is hammock left, everything is cool.

Ewker
02-19-2007, 12:18
geez, just get up and go.

hangnout
02-19-2007, 12:31
Getting up more than you would at home is a sign that you are not warm enough. Add some insulation and maybe just make the one trip. Now if you are consuming more "liquids":D that's another story.

Coffee
02-19-2007, 12:35
I usually get up once or twice at home. I'm not really one to sleep. I guess the difference when camping is that I don't get strange looks for using any method that involves not getting out of bed. More important when it is cold, then in summer.

Ewker
02-19-2007, 12:38
I had rather get up and go than take a chance of getting my gear wet with urine. It isn't worth it.

Doctari
02-19-2007, 12:48
I used that trick when tenting, but on my last tent trip, and eventually during my time at home, I have found that after I "empty my bladder" then either walk beck to bed or wiggle back into hammock (or sleeping bag). Soon as I'm comfy, I have to pee again. SO, for me anyway, getting up is the best thing to do, so I get up, empty the bladder, check my suspension & tarp stakes, then empty the bladder again. I'm good for several hours then. At home, I: pee, pet the cats & rats, pee again. That's me. On the other hand, were I younger, the pee bottle would indeed be a part of my gear.

Side note: Yet another good thing about hammocking w a tarp, I set up my tarp about 5' - 6' from the ground, at 5' 7" I can usually stand up under my tarp, so I walk to the end, take care of business, back to bed without leaving my shelter. Do that with a backpacking tent! :cool:

Dingus Khan
02-19-2007, 13:04
hehe, any heard of a texas catheter? you could let the tubing dangle out the HH center slit and like in dumb and dumber, "just go man"

blackie
02-19-2007, 15:09
i dont have this problem..yet... but i am with the get up and go to the pee tree rather than risk a wet bed....now if its rainning cats and dogs that is a seperate thing..in thta case i would use a bottle and stay under the tarp..

slowhike
02-19-2007, 15:57
I had rather get up and go than take a chance of getting my gear wet with urine. It isn't worth it.

yeah man, but you're sleeping on the ground... not a warm comfy hammock:eek:

slowhike
02-19-2007, 15:59
Getting up more than you would at home is a sign that you are not warm enough. Add some insulation and maybe just make the one trip. Now if you are consuming more "liquids":D that's another story.

i think some people may have a tendency to stay hydrated better on the trail than at home<g>.

jlb2012
02-19-2007, 16:03
I'm with Doctari about the 2 part piss - it works that way with me too.

One approach to the issue that I have heard about is to take some salt (~0.5 tsp) just before hitting the sack - the extra salt promotes water retention and thus fewer trips to the bushes.

Ewker
02-19-2007, 16:04
yeah man, but you're sleeping on the ground... not a warm comfy hammock:eek:

when your a sleep and have to get up and go it doesn't matter if your on the ground or in the air.
Looks like you were on the ground last weekend:D

blackbishop351
02-19-2007, 16:08
I'm with Doctari about the 2 part piss - it works that way with me too.

One approach to the issue that I have heard about is to take some salt (~0.5 tsp) just before hitting the sack - the extra salt promotes water retention and thus fewer trips to the bushes.

Adding a sport drink powder to your water during the day helps too, if for no other reason than some elevated salt content.

slowhike
02-19-2007, 16:34
when your a sleep and have to get up and go it doesn't matter if your on the ground or in the air.
Looks like you were on the ground last weekend:D

only partly on the ground<g>, but i'll give a report about that on the nc hammockers thread later.

blackbishop351
02-19-2007, 16:34
only partly on the ground<g>, but i'll give a report about that on the nc hammockers thread later.

On the ground "some of the time" was the way I heard it :p

Jonas4321
02-20-2007, 12:19

Consuming more liquids than usual was the case (water, not "liquids"). We were on an adult Scout leader training, and for most of us, this was a reasonably new activity (hiking in snowshoes up a hill with backpacks and sleds, breaking trail in 1 foot+ of powder as we went). The instructors were (rightly so) making a big deal about hydrating, as that's what we want to make sure our Scouts do in the winter because you lose more moisture in the cold weather than the warm weather. So, we stopped along the trail and drank water frequently.

I was plenty warm, no issue there. When I have to go, I wake up (thank goodness), and I always fall asleep fast after having done so. It's my understanding that you expend more energy to keep a full bladder warm than you would if you emptied it.

Ewker, I don't disagree with your comment, but that's for you. I'd rather not get out of an incredibly comfortable and warm hammock in 15 degree weather just to hit the head. But that's just me. ;)

Jonas

Ewker
02-20-2007, 12:48
Ewker, I don't disagree with your comment, but that's for you. I'd rather not get out of an incredibly comfortable and warm hammock in 15 degree weather just to hit the head. But that's just me. ;)

Jonas

age plays a big part in it also :p

Sysiphus
02-21-2007, 02:24
2 tips (Don't ask me how I know!)
1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure the lid is on and tight. Heavy sleepers beware!
2. The "Texas" or "condom" catheter sounds like a good idea, but I think the receptacle would have to be lower than the umm, 'source'. Might be difficult in a non-HH to do.

Jonas4321
02-21-2007, 07:51
age plays a big part in it also :p

Yeah, I agree. You only got 7 years on me, though. And the older I get, the less likely I am to want to go anywhere unnecessarily, especially in the cold. Age WAS the reason I started hammocking, my bones couldn't take the ground anymore. Sounds like you're still able to get some sleep down there - good for you. If I have to sleep on a hard surface, I will not fall asleep at all it hurts so much, even with 2" of Thermarest. Hammocking saved my camping life, this new pee bottle technique just puts icing on the cake! ...left that one open...:eek:

Certain
02-21-2007, 20:50
So anyone want to hear how I pee while staying in my hammock?

OH....I CAN'T!! STOP RUBBING IT IN GUYS! HAA HAA HAA HAA :D :D

Ya'll are just woosies....right ladies? haa haa haa :D :D

blackbishop351
02-21-2007, 20:54

I dunno....the HH slit is in about the right place.....

I'll just stop there :p

peanuts
02-21-2007, 21:12
michelle, so true, so true! they are woosies:d
and i sleep on a eno

headchange4u
02-21-2007, 21:17

Admit it! :D Your just jealous.:p

blackbishop351
02-21-2007, 21:23

I wasn't gonna go there... :p

Ewker
02-21-2007, 21:41

well if you carry a water filter you could always use the hose :eek:

Perkolady
02-21-2007, 23:33
:D :D :D
too funny ! LOL !!

Certain
02-22-2007, 16:18

I don't know about that....I've got a pretty nice collection of....oh...wait....we're talking about peeing.... :D :D :D LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL

Certain
02-22-2007, 16:20
I do think I may try to come up with some sort of design for ladies to use while in the hammock. Hmm....in 18 days, I'll have all the time in the world to think about it!---hey...where's the dancing banana?

headchange4u
02-22-2007, 16:25
I do think I may try to come up with some sort of design for ladies to use while in the hammock. Hmm....in 18 days, I'll have all the time in the world to think about it!---hey...where's the dancing banana?

Ask and you shall recieve. (http://www.comforthouse.com/porjoh.html)

Certain
02-22-2007, 16:37
Ask and you shell recieve. (http://www.comforthouse.com/porjoh.html)

That's pretty funny, but I'm not 100% sure it would work lying down completely. Although, you could just sit up enough to pop your legs out of the bottom and that would work.

I think I'd miss the sense of adventure I get while walking into the pitch black woods and coppin' a squat over potentially harmful animals that are slumbering in the night...like snakes and such! :D LOL

Perkolady
02-22-2007, 16:54
I think I'd miss the sense of adventure I get while walking into the pitch black woods and coppin' a squat over potentially harmful animals that are slumbering in the night...like snakes and such! :D LOL

Ya, Michele ! Not to mention that eye-opening trip over the guy lines on the way out ! :D

And of course, it's always just wonderful to get a good idea of the current temps outside using your bare butt-ometer. That way you can tell if it's just "cold", or if it's F'IN COLD !

We wouldn't want to miss out on those adventure opportunities ;) :D

Perkolady

Perkolady
02-22-2007, 16:58
Ask and you shell recieve. (http://www.comforthouse.com/porjoh.html)

Gee... does it come with the flower???? :D

LOL!

Perkolady

Certain
02-22-2007, 23:09
Gee... does it come with the flower???? :D

LOL!

Perkolady

ROFLMAO!!!! Oh Oh.....I would ONLY buy it if the flower came with it...I wonder if it's like buying a VW Bug...you get flowers that match the color of your travel urinal! :D :D Oh God....I can't stop laughing! LOL LOL

titanium_hiker
02-22-2007, 23:48
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/09/peeing_in_your.php (a round up of products available)

see also the women's section of WB.

headchange4u
02-22-2007, 23:51
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/09/peeing_in_your.php (a round up of products available)

That scares me a little.

Coffee
02-23-2007, 00:15
That's pretty funny, but I'm not 100% sure it would work lying down completely. Although, you could just sit up enough to pop your legs out of the bottom and that would work.

Careful of the deer.:eek:

Hana Hanger
02-23-2007, 03:54
Originally Posted by Michele

LOL now I know I would end up falling on my butt through the bottom opening!! But of course if I was to have that Monogrammed Toilet Paper gift boxed 2 rolls pad with Gold letter on every sheet. 2-ply I would have a comfy land!!!!

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/comfort_1936_6224400

:D :p

Certain
02-23-2007, 09:45

Oh I've seen those as well. Work great I'm sure for standing, but (sorry I hijacked this thread guys! :D ) if I remember, this thread was originally about peeing while laying in your hammock so you don't have to get out at all.

I kind of think that unless someone comes out with some sort of vacuum sealing device that guarantees a tight seal against our bodies, that us ladies will just have to deal w/it and always exit (or half exit) our hammocks to do our biz. All part of the adventure.

I do agree, though, that I'd probably enjoy the experience much better if I had gold-monogramed TP as shown in Hana Hanger's link! :D :D

Jonas4321
02-23-2007, 12:52
(sorry I hijacked this thread guys!)

Your "hijacking" has been a lot more fun than I could have hoped for!!! :D

There are a lot of reasons I am glad I'm a guy. My wife is at the top of that list, but that web page with all those contraptions comes in a close second! :eek:

Certain
02-23-2007, 13:54
Your "hijacking" has been a lot more fun than I could have hoped for!!! :D

There are a lot of reasons I am glad I'm a guy. My wife is at the top of that list, but that web page with all those contraptions comes in a close second! :eek:

Oh I know...w/all those gadgets out there, you'd think we just always had nice flushing toilets around and that this is suddenly some new "problem". I mean geez....what did our women pioneers do when traveling across the plains! Probably one of those women figured this out and passed it down through the generations: :D :D

http://myvag.net/pee/standing/

Jazilla
02-23-2007, 14:29
I have found the magical answer to everyones problem. It doesn't matter where, how, or who you are. This new invention solves all those problems

http://www.themedsupplyguide.com/adult-diapers/depend.html

Bird Dog
02-23-2007, 14:31
I have found the magical answer to everyones problem. It doesn't matter where, how, or who you are. This new invention solves all those problems

http://www.themedsupplyguide.com/adult-diapers/depend.html

Nice. Do they have astronaut models as well? BD

Peter_pan
02-23-2007, 18:15
You gotta pack those soaked suckers out...:eek: :eek:

Pan

Certain
02-24-2007, 00:03
You gotta pack those soaked suckers out...:eek: :eek:

Pan

Are ya talkin' from experience or something Pan? :D :D

Hector
03-28-2007, 11:59
you could let the tubing dangle out the HH center slit and like in dumb and dumber, "just go man"

Works like a charm, actually, but only do it if you're moving on in the morning!

Just Jeff
03-29-2007, 13:05
Nice first post. I'm gonna like this guy.

Peter_pan
03-29-2007, 21:00
Are ya talkin' from experience or something Pan? :D :D

Naw...just riding herd on all those bright ideas... that have down the road weight penalties... unless of course one plans to just leave a big trace.:(

Pan

funbun
04-04-2007, 00:57
Dude, I envision all kind of catastrophic failures with this. Isn't it a bad idea to be urinating and sleeping and eating all in camp? Everything from Leave No Trace to Ancient Jewish Laws say don't eat, piss/sh**, and sleep in camp.

Coffee
04-04-2007, 02:07
Dude, I envision all kind of catastrophic failures with this. Isn't it a bad idea to be urinating and sleeping and eating all in camp? Everything from Leave No Trace to Ancient Jewish Laws say don't eat, piss/sh**, and sleep in camp.

Well provided I am not in my backyard or at a normal campsite, I do not usually hang places other people will stay again soon. Going number 1 shouldn't be an issue. I can see number 2 being. Although if it is raining, my tarp is up, I am about to break camp, can follow good LNT practices, and I have to go number 2 all bets are off.:rolleyes:

Fiddleback
04-07-2007, 08:46
I did a bunch of reading before I started hammock hangin' and was struck by the amount of writing about getting in and out of a sleeping bag while in a hammock. So, right from the start I avoided that learning curve and my sleep system didn't/doesn't use a sleeping bag.

One of the unanticipated benefits of sleeping in warm clothing is the ease of late-night Nature visits. Maybe I should say, the joy of such trips. Already dressed, with booties on, all I have to do is drop out of the Hennessy, find a suitable tree, return to the hammock and go back to sleep. No dressing in the cold, no fumbling around in the dark, no time spent trying to rewarm a bag. Tent camping wasn't this simple!:)

As for pee tubes... I remember a trip with my Scout troop where one our guys brought a length of hose. He stuck it under the edge of the tent(floorless tents back then) and pee'd away. It worked just fine and had the results you would expect when he realized the hose was running up slope and he was peeing uphill.:D We all thought it was great...but he never brought the hose again...I'm not even sure he brought the same bag...:rolleyes:

FB

Hooch
04-10-2007, 06:15
hehe, any heard of a texas catheter? you could let the tubing dangle out the HH center slit and like in dumb and dumber, "just go man"

I was reading this thread with great amusement and intrigue since I usually get up twice anight to go when I'm out. I do have to admit, I like the condom (texas) catheter idea. I may have to try that out. If anyone wants one, I can get plenty of them!:eek:

headchange4u
04-10-2007, 08:59
You can use the catheter. I'll just water the trees. ;)

Hooch
04-10-2007, 09:02
You can use the catheter. I'll just water the trees. ;)

Holy full baldders Batman! :eek:

blackie
04-13-2007, 13:02
umm .. just fyi be sure that hose dont reach all the way to the ground..fire ants love urine..they will climb up and ...well lets say thats a good way to get a new trail name

cavediver2
10-10-2007, 21:43
Well I have been reading this post with injoyment, even got a few real good laughs.

I am not afraid to say that I have used catheter's in my life or adult depends.
for a long time I did allot of very long dives underwater in a drysuit for those of you who know what im talking about it is ment to keep water away and you use air to keep suit off of you. I wore adult depends on 2 and 3 hour dives not being able to come to the surface for a very long time you did'nt want to fill the suit with access h20 you have been carring around because for the same reasons hicking you must keep hydredated.

as for catheter's there are several out there on the market that work very well and I must say since putting in a pea valve in my drysuit diving has been allot better

for those who dont know anything about catheter's there are some that are held on with tape and are junk and there are those that are held on with a mild glue that are the berries which is what I use now haveing said this I have not givin much thought on useing this in my hammock as I spent most of the last couple of weeks reading about the different makes of hammock and such to think about peaing in my hammock but know that I have read these post I do think that when it get's real cold out I will take some catheter's with me do make life hanging much more injoyable. thanks for the post and all the info about hammock hanging.

<<< one who will sleep with catheter in the cold >>>>

FanaticFringer
10-10-2007, 23:20
Think I'll stick to my depends. No pun intended.:p
Besides.......their dual use.:eek:

Rapt
10-11-2007, 07:05
I'll just get up and go outside....

Besides how else will you get to enjoy the crisp fresh air if you aren't out peeing at -35????

BillyBob58
10-11-2007, 07:53
While using a catheter or hose or pee bottle inside your bag/quilt/hammock, there had better not be any poor connections, spills or other mishaps.

NCPatrick
10-11-2007, 08:09
I'll just get up and go outside....

Besides how else will you get to enjoy the crisp fresh air if you aren't out peeing at -35????

Ok. That brings up new questions. How do you keep from getting frostbite there at -35? :eek: Hand warmers? Does urine freeze before it hits the ground? Enquiring minds want to know!

Rapt
10-11-2007, 08:22
No, no frost bite, its not like it takes THAT long especially with the incentive to be FAST... but you do want to be sure to warm your hands before you start..... And no it doesn't freeze before it hits the ground...

Just be sure if you're doing other things that say involve squatting, that you keep from making contact with the snow or anything solid... THAT"S exciting, and not in a good way!

Cannibal
10-11-2007, 08:24
Does urine freeze before it hits the ground? Enquiring minds want to know!

No. But, equipment gets a little difficult to find. :p :D

cavediver2, I've been diving for over 20 years and have never once had to use a catheter. Of course, I've never had the desire to go cruising under the continents either. That's pretty brave stuff; both the cave diving and the catheter insertion. And yeah, I'm very familiar with how buoyancy works in a dry suit and totally understand why you need containment

nogods
10-11-2007, 14:18
It's funny how I could drive for 3 days straight without a pitstop, but the ex-wife and kids had to go like a dog walking down the street leaving its scent on every other tree.

Miguel
10-11-2007, 14:32
Well I have been reading this post with injoyment, even got a few real good laughs.

I am not afraid to say that I have used catheter's in my life or adult depends.
for a long time I did allot of very long dives underwater in a drysuit for those of you who know what im talking about it is ment to keep water away and you use air to keep suit off of you. I wore adult depends on 2 and 3 hour dives not being able to come to the surface for a very long time you did'nt want to fill the suit with access h20 you have been carring around because for the same reasons hicking you must keep hydredated.

as for catheter's there are several out there on the market that work very well and I must say since putting in a pea valve in my drysuit diving has been allot better

for those who dont know anything about catheter's there are some that are held on with tape and are junk and there are those that are held on with a mild glue that are the berries which is what I use now haveing said this I have not givin much thought on useing this in my hammock as I spent most of the last couple of weeks reading about the different makes of hammock and such to think about peaing in my hammock but know that I have read these post I do think that when it get's real cold out I will take some catheter's with me do make life hanging much more injoyable. thanks for the post and all the info about hammock hanging.

<<< one who will sleep with catheter in the cold >>>>

I know a great joke (imo) where the punchline is "depends" but since this is a family oriented site I must decline.

Miguel

pure_mahem
10-11-2007, 15:03
I thought Ladies always went to the bathroom in at least twos wouldnt this make it difficult to do your business in a hamock anyways. You'd always have to go wake up the lady friend and say wanta come join me for a pee. Your hammock or mine.LOL!

LMFAO! New trail name ....... fire ants..... LMFAO!!!!

photomankc
02-17-2009, 14:27
I just can't get over the notion of an accident and spending my next few days sleeping in pee smell on top of my already lovely aroma. Nope, I wear pants to bed and a shirt so it's not quite so bad to have to go for me. I just go to the 'p@$# tree' and do my business. If it's raining I just stand on the downhill side of the tarp and let loose.

Bender
02-18-2009, 19:29
Ya know, one of these nights yer gonna have to poop.

Rushthezeppelin
02-18-2009, 20:14
Ya know, one of these nights yer gonna have to poop.

Ohhh man I know the perfect avatar for you but I can't seem to find a pic of it on google. It's from the episode of Furturama where they are camping out in the bigfoot preserve or what not and bender literally makes himself into a hammock with by wrapping his legs and arms around two trees. Wish I could find a pic of it : (

swampfox
03-01-2009, 09:57
Another bottle that works really well is fabric softener, like Downey. It's short and squatty, has a large opening, good seal, etc.
I've never tried it in a hammock, only in my previous like as a ground dweller.

Shug
03-01-2009, 15:21
Did #1 and #2 in -27º .... no problems. Squatting over a snow cat hole is actually refreshing! Ya' know the feeling of putting your socks back on your cold feet after walking through a creek or river? Pulling up the layers after a brisk winter poop feels even better than that.
Something about that just makes me feel one with the woods.
Squatting Shug

pizza
03-01-2009, 16:01
No. But, equipment gets a little difficult to find. :p :D

cavediver2, I've been diving for over 20 years and have never once had to use a catheter. Of course, I've never had the desire to go cruising under the continents either. That's pretty brave stuff; both the cave diving and the catheter insertion. And yeah, I'm very familiar with how buoyancy works in a dry suit and totally understand why you need containment

He's probably not using an inserted catheter but rather a condom catheter. That's what most divers use including myself. Once you have a P-Valve installed in your drysuit there's no going back.

cavediver2
03-02-2009, 11:48
He's probably not using an inserted catheter but rather a condom catheter. That's what most divers use including myself. Once you have a P-Valve installed in your drysuit there's no going back.

Amen on the P-Valve

thorwren
03-02-2009, 13:24
I think I am just going to avoid helping myself to any "apple juice" I might see lying around at the hangs. Better safe than sorry!

Dancer
03-04-2009, 16:30
Ladies,

If you can do the urine sample thing at the doc's office you can pee in a gatorade bottle. Not in the hammock but under the tarp maybe....I'm going to try it this weekend.

Dancer

turtlelady
03-04-2009, 17:18
I have never regretted the weight or space given a plastic peanut butter jar for this convenience. Even freezer weight zip lock bags can serve--somewhat trickier, but better than facing a downpour.

schrochem
03-11-2009, 13:14
I searched for a relative thread for this device F.U.D (http://www.rei.com/product/407267)....
I figured someone (female or male) might find this useful in a hammock.....

pizza
03-11-2009, 16:58
Have always used the pee bottle tenting. Looking forward to trying it in the hammock this year.:laugh:

kayak karl
03-11-2009, 17:39
if you hang in a shelter. don't use a pee bottle. if you do, you might end up carrying a frozen bottle of pee for 2 days, up and down, 28 miles and feeling really, really, stupid :blush:

pizza
03-11-2009, 18:41
if you hang in a shelter. don't use a pee bottle. if you do, you might end up carrying a frozen bottle of pee for 2 days, up and down, 28 miles and feeling really, really, stupid :blush:
Well...since I don't do any winter camping that won't be a problem for me.:D

Ramblinrev
03-11-2009, 19:27

okay... this statement eludes me. But I've never done any real long distance treks. Why would one need to carry a frozen pee bottle for two days if you hang in a shelter. If there is a privy at the shelter I would think you could empty it there. If not... broadcast it into the woods before it freezes solid. Or am I really being naive here.

kayak karl
03-11-2009, 19:37
okay... this statement eludes me. But I've never done any real long distance treks. Why would one need to carry a frozen pee bottle for two days if you hang in a shelter. If there is a privy at the shelter I would think you could empty it there. If not... broadcast it into the woods before it freezes solid. Or am I really being naive here.
it was 5 degrees and i forgot, ever forget:) set the bottle on floor. it didnt go above 20 for 2 days. i couldnt trash the bottle, so i had to carry it till it defrosted or there was a trash can. just making a funny:lol:

Ramblinrev
03-11-2009, 19:50
gotcha.... I figured it was something like that. I had a bottle that I left in the backyard freeze but I was able to bust the ice and dump it without too much trouble.

Guero Mochilero
03-13-2009, 12:02

"I did the same thing at the Mt. Rogers camp out. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but since you brought it up I will also admit to it. I used a 1 liter Pepsi bottle with the wide mouth. A Gatorade would be much better because it's a little shorter and has a wider mouth."

I've tried this method but I can't find a wide mouth bottle wide enough

Mud__Bone
03-19-2009, 01:08
lol ..... sigh, hang on I gotta go pee lol

Knotty
04-01-2009, 11:20
Just don't confuse your Gatorade pee bottle for the real thing the next day!

I started using a pee bottle tent camping this winter. Much better than stepping outside, especially when it's wet or snowy. I can see how it will be more of a challenge in a hammock.

Counselor
04-01-2009, 11:29

"I did the same thing at the Mt. Rogers camp out. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but since you brought it up I will also admit to it. I used a 1 liter Pepsi bottle with the wide mouth. A Gatorade would be much better because it's a little shorter and has a wider mouth."

I've tried this method but I can't find a wide mouth bottle wide enough

What's all this talk about a wide-mouth!

sir White Wolf
04-01-2009, 15:26
over compensation :lol:

phoenixdadeadhead
04-25-2009, 21:57
Funny thing is I enjoy peeing in the woods, so when I hike I will get up in the middle of the night to piss on a tree, but I have been known to pee in a bottle after a night in the bars lol

bernc3
06-05-2009, 08:56
Just found this on a website as I was stumbling around the internet. Thought some of you would find it interesting.

WHY DO WE WEE WHEN COLD?
WHEN most of us are exposed to the cold for a long period of time, we need to go to the loo.

And according to Dr Moalem, it's a natural response to stop the body from freezing. Urinating a lot is the easiest way of keeping internal water levels low. At the same time, this increases the concentration of sugar in the water which remains in the body.

Sugar acts as an antifreeze, meaning the freezing point of the human body is much lower than it would be otherwise. This way of controlling blood sugar levels could have been created in a genetic mutation to some of our ancestors during the sudden ice snaps thousands of years in the past. Those with the ability to control their blood sugar lived on while others froze to death and disappeared forever.

Source (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/2007/06/04/can-your-shades-give-you-sunburn--115875-19241885/)

drewboy
06-05-2009, 09:46
Thanks, that's an interesting explanation. I'm just glad to have any other reason to ponder on besides my enlarged prostate. :confused:

Just found this on a website as I was stumbling around the internet. Thought some of you would find it interesting.

Source (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/2007/06/04/can-your-shades-give-you-sunburn--115875-19241885/)

FRGus723
07-09-2009, 12:15
Like the mountaineers who climb Everest. That is some vital heat to throw away. Get yourself an older Nalgene with all the bad BPA and mark it WELL. Open the slit in the HH, wiz, seal it up tight and put it in your bag for some added warmth.

I always wrap about 6 or 8 feet of Duct Tape around all of my Nalgenes for emergencies, top and bottom. If you're feeling unsure about "leakage" just tape it. And if you can go more than 32 oz in a night then you must be very hydrated. Only did that once and a lot of beer was responsible for that.

MrWonderful
08-02-2009, 08:01
. . .

I had taken an empty 32 oz Gatorade bottle to bed with me, and my plan was to simply sit on the edge of (or stand beside) my hammock, use the bottle, then quickly return to the warmth of the bag.

That worked the first time at around 11pm, but at 15 degrees outside, it was going to be the last.

The second time at 2am (I kept myself well hydrated all day), I emptied the bottle as far away from my hammock as I could reach while still in my hammock (the snow was 2-3 feet deep in most places), then turned on my side . . .

I screwed the cap on snugly and put the bottle into my gear hammock and very quickly went back to sleep.

Three hours later, I repeated the process (remember, I kept myself WELL hydrated all day), . . .

Anyone else have any tips or techniques for this activity?

Jonas

Hi all,

After reading all 10 pages of this thread, it seems most have overlooked a slight variation that could save countless embarrassing incidents: EMPTY THE BOTTLE IMMEDIATELY AFTER USING IT. Just plan on it. Figure out how you would if you needed to and do that. No more worries about leaking (pun intended,) spilling, freezing or anything else. It shouldn't be any worse for heat loss than using a tree and if you are likely to need to go more than once, you'd probably end up emptying it from the hammock anyway...

Or am I overlooking something fundamental?
:confused:

Thanks,
Jim

pineapplenewton
08-02-2009, 08:09
Side note: Yet another good thing about hammocking w a tarp, I set up my tarp about 5' - 6' from the ground, at 5' 7" I can usually stand up under my tarp, so I walk to the end, take care of business, back to bed without leaving my shelter. Do that with a backpacking tent! :cool:

I do It involves kneeling while arching your back over enough so that you thys can be high enough off you legs to not hit your knees at the end of the... emptying. Ive gotten pretty good at it. on a different note anyone here tryed peeing out of a cannoe in 2 foot swells i almost had to try and my friend did.:scared:

salmonofdoubt
08-02-2009, 10:02
on a different note anyone here tryed peeing out of a cannoe in 2 foot swells i almost had to try and my friend did.:scared:

Two words : Bailing Bucket.

bignick2112
01-14-2010, 09:42
my first night out in my hammock, i used the slide to the edge and pray you have enough distance method. all i had in my hammock with me was a nalgene with hot water to keep me warm. no way was i going to give that up. going over the side was not that bad.as far as i could tell none got on my hammock

Rycrippy
02-11-2010, 22:02
I rarely get up and have to go during the night, but it's the cold mornings, when you really just want to hang in your warm cozy pod and nature's calling. It's those times that I see this being useful, and yes, there's some laziness to that. I haven't used a bottle before but can imagine doing this from now on. Another thing I think you could do with the right size bottle is to put in in your boots (If accessible), warm them up before putting on. I'm definitely trying it.

Pitch
02-11-2010, 22:10
All this talk makes me gotta... well.. yea...

Rockdawg69
02-12-2010, 18:37
Ok Mods. This thread just begs the need for a poll. Is there a relationship between the brand/type of hammock and the need to visit a tree at night???? Science in action here at HF. Just saying.

angrysparrow
02-12-2010, 18:40
Ok Mods. This thread just begs the need for a poll. Is there a relationship between the brand/type of hammock and the need to visit a tree at night???? Science in action here at HF. Just saying.

Would you think this thread is best, or another new one? What polling options and questions are appropriate?

Rockdawg69
02-12-2010, 18:45
AS,

sending PM.

rdbradish
04-30-2010, 17:30
Take a note from female divers. On long dives, they wear a suit called a drysuit- no water gets in, which means you stay warm (kinda like a nice warm hammock). Unfortunately, water can't get out easily either.

Enter the She-P. Put it on and attach a hose. Leave the hose out of the hammock, and drain the gravity induced residue in the morning before you pack it away.

http://www.she-p.com/

JohnSawyer
04-30-2010, 23:17
ROFLMAO!!!! Oh Oh.....I would ONLY buy it if the flower came with it...I wonder if it's like buying a VW Bug...you get flowers that match the color of your travel urinal! :D :D Oh God....I can't stop laughing! LOL LOL

Hey, my VW beetle has no flowers....

avalonmorn
05-01-2010, 12:43
Ordering she-p, and making a Bishop's bag:lol:

No_p55
05-02-2010, 13:33
Check out the link below, they could be the solution to your problem.

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/8-pk-johnny-on-the-go-portable-unisex-urinals.aspx?a=355445

drewdunnrespect
05-02-2010, 13:57
use a bottle its easier drew

bobbycobbler
03-03-2016, 10:47
Am I the only one that enjoys peeing a perimeter deterrent circle around their shelter for bears and demons?

Kroma
03-03-2016, 11:18
wow....6 years later

OneClick
03-03-2016, 11:21
wow....6 years later

LOL!! But I give credit for searching instead of making a new thread. I think we currently have 92 "pee bottle" threads :)

bobbycobbler
03-03-2016, 12:17
LOL!! But I give credit for searching instead of making a new thread. I think we currently have 92 "pee bottle" threads :)

haha no pee thread searching, just killing time on the works dime ;)

Deltair
03-03-2016, 15:09
I think I have sufficiently mastered the acrobatics required to,as Coffee put it, "go off the side of the hammock."
And obviously, I am VERY careful. Still, I've almost fell out my hammock a couple of times...and that would have been...yucky...

OneClick
03-03-2016, 15:21
HAHA! I can do it in a kayak just fine where the stakes are much higher. So this isn't so bad. But I usually get out just to be safe.

JohannesBrahms
03-03-2016, 15:25
If I go just before lying down for the night, I don't wake up to go for around 6 hours. I just get up, go, maybe have a snack, then go back to sleep for a couple of hours. It's no big deal as long as you bundle up.