PDA

View Full Version : Northern New England - Who wants to hang?

Tobit
10-10-2012, 21:47
Anyone in Northern New England want to "hang out" before Christmas?

I'm going out next week sometime to test out a new hammock kit and then I'd be up for any small group hangs. We don't seem to have too many up here. I'm in NH but will travel to anywhere in MA, VT, or ME. Maybe when/if gas prices come down I would be willing to travel further south to some of the bigger events.

Nighthauk
10-10-2012, 22:12
Tobit very tempting. I would like to but the next time that I am able to get out is in January. However you just miss a group hang. Keep an eye out for NEHHA stuff in the planning stages. We will have a winter hang come January if you are interested.

Tobit
10-10-2012, 22:21
Sounds good, will definitely watch for the next NEHHA meet. I want to do a lot of hanging this winter and have a very open schedule (except around Christmas).

Nighthauk
10-10-2012, 22:29
Just posted in trip planning forum.

G.G.
10-10-2012, 22:33
If you're interested in more than a hang, I'm planning some time on the AT for Oct, Nov, & Dec.

The only date I have locked in for the time being is the 1st weekend in Dec. Not sure where yet. Most likely MA or VT. Looking to hit 13-15 miles a day tho flexible.

Tobit
10-10-2012, 22:35
If you're interested in more than a hang, I'm planning some time on the AT for Oct, Nov, & Dec.
Man, I'd love to but I am terribly out of shape for the distance you want. I can only handle a few miles/day right now especially with lack of daylight.

raiffnuke
10-11-2012, 05:37
I am interested in getting out in the woods again this fall. Let me kow what you are thinking and I will try to convince the 'other half' that I should be in the trees! ;)

Tobit
10-11-2012, 07:14
raiffnuke, I am up for almost anything that doesn't require a hike of more than a few miles. I do know I want to check out Mt. Greylock this fall/winter but I generally prefer hanging in VT or NH.

raiffnuke
10-11-2012, 07:24
raiffnuke, I am up for almost anything that doesn't require a hike of more than a few miles. I do know I want to check out Mt. Greylock this fall/winter but I generally prefer hanging in VT or NH.

I am right at the base of Greylock. They are plenty short hikes to hang spots on the mountain. I have spent some time in Southern VT, but not much time n NH. I am would like to see more of those places as well.

Tobit
10-11-2012, 07:38
I am right at the base of Greylock. They are plenty short hikes to hang spots on the mountain.
Yeah, I was just looking at the official Greylock maps. I tend to camp mid-week, because I can, but since I am retired I can pretty much go out anytime. I have a new hammock, tarp, UQ, and TQ on the way. When it all arrives, I'm going out to a friends property to test everything out. After that, I will be ready for some trips to new areas. I'll keep you posted.

raiffnuke
10-11-2012, 07:39
Yeah, I was just looking at the official Greylock maps. I tend to camp mid-week, because I can, but since I am retired I can pretty much go out anytime. I have a new hammock, tarp, UQ, and TQ on the way. When it all arrives, I'm going out to a friends property to test everything out. After that, I will be ready for some trips to new areas. I'll keep you posted.

Congrats on the new gear. I look forward to hearing from you.:shades:

Rilmoigan
10-11-2012, 07:42
...provided I can get there without driving 6+ hours one way.

If we can maybe find a spot in NH or Western ME that would be ideal; but I know that a lot of folks are located more in the MA area than people like me off in the boonies of central Maine.

I will follow this thread and see what develops. I will also see what is available in Western ME and the NH areas.

Tobit
10-11-2012, 07:49
Rilmoigan, I am in Manchester, NH - I will head North and East to hang with you anytime after I test my new gear. Thanks for checking in.

McRat
10-11-2012, 08:15
Howdy stranger! :D

Glad to see you're still roaming around the woods and Internet.

Hope to hang together sometime.

Tobit
10-11-2012, 08:17
Glad to see you're still roaming around the woods and Internet.
Good to see at least one fool scout hanging. :D

dave_p
10-11-2012, 10:56
I'm up for a single night hang; arrive Saturday. Somewhere in Southern New Hampshire or Northern Mass would work best for me. Keep us posted!

sunshower
10-11-2012, 13:11
I'm up for a single night hang; arrive Saturday. Somewhere in Southern New Hampshire or Northern Mass would work best for me. Keep us posted!
ditto on that! we are free a lot of weekends right now so keep me posted.

Tobit
10-11-2012, 13:15
ditto on that! we are free a lot of weekends right now so keep me posted.

Will do! My new gear has shipped today so I will be testing early next week and then ready for action!

shrineclown
10-11-2012, 18:55
:cool: have to keep an eye on this.

Tobit
10-15-2012, 20:32
October 26 - 28 Idea

Anyone want a good hike and hang on Flat Mountain Pond in Sandwich, NH the weekend of Oct. 26 - 28? This will require a hike of roughly 4.8 miles although it follows mostly carriage roads and logging railroad beds, footing is nice all the way.

We can either hike in on Friday or Saturday and spend a night or hike in Friday and spend two nights, I am very flexible and open. I do hike very slowly as I have osteoarthritis and start to get stiff after a few miles. I would probably start the hike very early in the day to give myself plenty of time to reach the established camp sites or shelter. People can either hike with me or start later in the day.

I am free the entire weekend. We don't have to camp there, we can do something else. I am just throwing this out as an idea. I may solo it if there is no interest or no one has any other ideas.

sunshower
10-15-2012, 21:10
we might be free and i think i know where it is, but need more info.. i know that welch/dickey is near there on RT 49 towards Waterville; we just hiked that 2 months ago.
will let you know but it would be only Saturday-Sunday as we both work Fri and Mond.

brambor
10-16-2012, 05:29
I would love to go but my hammock gear has not shipped yet but as I am in Maine I do prefer western Maine or around the presidentially and I do like to hike.

Congrats on the new gear. I look forward to hearing from you.:shades:

Rilmoigan
10-16-2012, 07:57
I'd probably have to come in either on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, depending on work.

I will stay tuned to this thread for further details.

Tobit
10-18-2012, 15:37
I don't think Flat Mountain Pond is going to happen for me, sorry for suggesting it. I don't think I am quite ready for a 5 mile hike with a heavy cold weather overnight kit. I think I am going to have to stick to 2-3 mile hikes for now. Again, sorry.

sunshower
10-22-2012, 13:31
How about Lincoln Woods to Franconia Campsite? We are thinking of doing that overnight Saturday.. it's an easy 1.6-2mile walk to the campsite, and unlike anywhere else on this Pemi trail, fires are allowed here
It's off exit 32 on 93- take a left on the Kanc and Lincoln Woods is on the left a couple of miles past the main part of Lincoln. You hike the east side of the trail so the Pemi is on your left.. don't cross the immediate suspension bridge after going past the ranger house.

sunshower
10-22-2012, 13:33
i believe after Oct 15 no fee is collected and there are a ton of sites. If they do collect it's $8/ person/ night... Might want to have that on hand just in case. Water is available from the river, just have to purify it. You have to hang your food, the rangers removed the bear boxes now that it is past season.

Tobit
10-22-2012, 16:23
How about Lincoln Woods to Franconia Campsite?
That sounds good, I always forget about the new site since they closed the old one years ago. I've never visited the new one so this would be good. Let's plan on hanging here this weekend, we can touch base towards the end of the week to further confirm.

dave_p
10-22-2012, 17:07
Ay, caramba (pardon my Spanish); tied up this weekend. Available next weekend on. Do another, K?

Tobit
10-22-2012, 17:09
Ay, caramba (pardon my Spanish); tied up this weekend. Available next weekend on. Do another, K?
This coming weekend will be my last weekend to play in the woods until the weekend of the 10th. I am definitely up for something that weekend.

Rilmoigan
10-22-2012, 18:10
This coming weekend will be my last weekend to play in the woods until the weekend of the 10th. I am definitely up for something that weekend.

My birthday is the 9th; great excuse to "get out" and play.

Let's plan something, folks.

brambor
10-22-2012, 22:14
This is a great suggestion. My gear is supposedly delivered to my work address and I will be picking it up tomorrow. My wife, however, has a birthday this Saturday and she is supposed to get time off to come home for Saturday night.

In case she does not get the Saturday off I will eagerly join you for the overnighter :-)

How about Lincoln Woods to Franconia Campsite? We are thinking of doing that overnight Saturday.. it's an easy 1.6-2mile walk to the campsite, and unlike anywhere else on this Pemi trail, fires are allowed here
It's off exit 32 on 93- take a left on the Kanc and Lincoln Woods is on the left a couple of miles past the main part of Lincoln. You hike the east side of the trail so the Pemi is on your left.. don't cross the immediate suspension bridge after going past the ranger house.

dave_p
11-04-2012, 12:52

My birthday is the 9th; great excuse to "get out" and play. Let's plan something, folks.

Interest bump for an 11/10 hang. Now have head-to-toe down goodies to try out; keeping fingers crossed that winter quilt set will be in.

Tobit
11-04-2012, 15:29
Dave and Co., let's do Lincoln Woods on the 10th. I will start a thread soon. I am in Cleveland until Thursday.

dave_p
11-04-2012, 16:51
Thanks, Tob. Someplace a tad further South would work better for me, but good to go if this is the spot.

brambor
11-04-2012, 19:26
I would be interested in that. Otherwise I will try again to do a loop trip up Mt. Moosilauke.

Dave and Co., let's do Lincoln Woods on the 10th. I will start a thread soon. I am in Cleveland until Thursday.

shrineclown
11-06-2012, 12:01
Is there a plan yet? I am not camping in RI as originally planned. May be able to sneak out Saturday night if'n I get back from the ski show in Boston in time Saturday night. A possible for Sunday.

SkyPainter
11-06-2012, 13:17
Rilmoigan, I am in Manchester, NH - I will head North and East to hang with you anytime after I test my new gear. Thanks for checking in.

===> Hey, Tobit .... we have other members from Manchester, most notably Chocolatier - who this year finally moved away from wholesale and art pieces, and opened an amazing Best-Of-NH chocolate shoppe in downtown Manchester!

He has brought some mazing boutiques chocolates to the last couple of NEHHA hangs for tasting. Good hanger, good hiker, good friend, and amazing chocolatier!

His site is: http://www.DancingLion.us

Drop by and say hello to Rich Tango-Lowey - (HF member name 'Chocolatier') tell him you are an HF member here, and say hello from me!

~ SkyPainter

brambor
11-06-2012, 13:33
I'm still good to go. :-)

Is there a plan yet? I am not camping in RI as originally planned. May be able to sneak out Saturday night if'n I get back from the ski show in Boston in time Saturday night. A possible for Sunday.

Tobit
11-06-2012, 16:16
No formal plan as I am still out of town and have not had a chance. However I do want to hang in Lincoln Woods on Sat.

shrineclown
11-06-2012, 21:15
No formal plan as I am still out of town and have not had a chance. However I do want to hang in Lincoln Woods on Sat.

Unfortunately, too far for me. Two different tournaments happening this weekend with kids and I promised the ski show too. By the time I get back from Boston and got there....well...DaveP was talking something southerer IIRC. Not that my schedule should impact a trip to the great north! Wish I could.

Tobit
11-08-2012, 08:54
I don't know if I will make it myself. Pulled a muscle in my back while in Cleveland and it hurts pretty bad. Sitting at the airport now waiting for my flight to Logan. At least I was able to get a cheap first class upgrade.

shrineclown
11-08-2012, 14:34
I don't know if I will make it myself. Pulled a muscle in my back while in Cleveland and it hurts pretty bad. Sitting at the airport now waiting for my flight to Logan. At least I was able to get a cheap first class upgrade.

Bummer, hope you got some Burning River IPA while there. Come to think of it, that should help with the pain. Here's to you feeling tip top soon!

shrineclown
01-17-2013, 22:46
It is time to start planning the next hang......

Nighthauk
01-17-2013, 22:50
What are you thinking? I'm game if my schedule allows it. Do you have a place in mind?

shrineclown
01-17-2013, 23:52
What are you thinking? I'm game if my schedule allows it. Do you have a place in mind?

Just give the lat. long.; I am not fussy. ~Reasons~ does have a cool place to go and it would have a nice day hike to the top for the Spring. Mt Kearsage is not too far away either if you wanted to do them both before going home.

If we are talking March, it will have to be before the 15th for us. R3Lax had a place near you folks he mentioned was nice.

If there are not a lot of us, sections on the Long Trail would be fun. I can arrange for us to take over a State Park in VT for a weekend too if people wanted to do that. That would have to be a fall event though for me to arrange it.

Not sure how it is done, but we should probably get this moved to the Northeast forum.....

shrineclown
08-21-2013, 11:35
We talked at the last hang about ~Reason~ offering use of her land on CM for a group hang. It is an awesome place to go and should be fun for all. October or November is going to be the preferred timing. Maybe Columbus Day weekend so you have the extra day?

Billiard Pete
08-22-2013, 09:07
We talked at the last hang about ~Reason~ offering use of her land on CM for a group hang. It is an awesome place to go and should be fun for all. October or November is going to be the preferred timing. Maybe Columbus Day weekend so you have the extra day?

Where abouts is this???

shrineclown
08-22-2013, 09:13
Where abouts is this???

Orange NH, Canaan NH etc. ...East of Hanover...West of Tilton if you want to try to locate on a map.

Billiard Pete
08-22-2013, 09:21
Orange NH, Canaan NH etc. ...East of Hanover...West of Tilton if you want to try to locate on a map.

Thanks, if the timing is right I might try to make it.

My friend Gary said you guys ride together. We need to work on him with the hammocks...:lol::lol::lol:

Tobit
08-22-2013, 10:40
I am still hanging around. Sorry for not participating much this year but a Columbus weekend hand sounds great to me.

Snaggletooth
08-22-2013, 21:30
I'm up for an overnighter hike n hang. Before or after the fall hang.

SkyPainter
08-23-2013, 06:33
===> I'm in for a hang up North! Cindy's ("Reason") kind offer to hang on her land on Mount Cardigan sounds perfect.

~ SkyPainter

sunshower
08-23-2013, 07:50
We are interested!

zappa870
08-23-2013, 08:13
Hmmmmm, now that I caught the hangin' bug I'll have to check this one out

attroll
08-23-2013, 09:41
I will keep an eye on this also.

shrineclown
08-23-2013, 10:19
Now that we have several in's...need to decide on a date so we can start a dedicated thread for it.

zappa870
08-23-2013, 12:02
Now that we have several in's...need to decide on a date so we can start a dedicated thread for it.
I am in agreement

sunshower
08-23-2013, 12:02
October 18-20?

SkyPainter
08-23-2013, 12:28
October 18-20?

===> Well, I had that on the calendar for the Fall MAHHA in WV, but apparently that has fallen through, so I guess it would be open.

~ Sky

sunshower
08-23-2013, 12:46
It could be the Even later Fall NEHHA :0)

zappa870
08-23-2013, 13:36
October 18-20?

I can mot likely do that as long as I can borrow an UQ from someone. PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

Nighthauk
08-23-2013, 14:46
Boy if I add this too the list this that would be the 6th straight weekend camping. Please don't tempt me anymore. Lol.

sunshower
08-23-2013, 15:18
Consider yourself tempted.. this weekend is 2 out of 3 in a row for us.

shrineclown
08-23-2013, 20:11
We could make some of it, but not all. But that is the case until November anyway. I like the dates.

shrineclown
08-23-2013, 20:13
I can mot likely do that as long as I can borrow an UQ from someone. PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

Think reflectix...if no one has an extra. Works pretty good IMO.

zappa870
08-23-2013, 23:38
Think reflectix...if no one has an extra. Works pretty good IMO.

I actually have someplus my cc foam pad

SkyPainter
08-24-2013, 21:48

====> Just come! We always carry extra gear. I can probably set you up with an UQ, and we would rather have you there than not! Join us!

~ SkyPainter

zappa870
08-25-2013, 07:52
I will be there

sunshower
08-25-2013, 11:35
now... where is "there" ??
2 free ones::
there's Sawyer Pond (2 approaches) the Kancamagus or Sawyer River Road off Rt 302 in NH
Franconia Brook campsite from the Lincoln Woods campsite off exit 32 on 93 in NH

any other ideas?

Billiard Pete
08-25-2013, 11:42
Question:

Will this be a car camping or a backpacking hang???

zappa870
08-25-2013, 11:52
I would like to do the Franconia Brook in Lincoln woods, but, I'm not fussy. Dates are Oct. 18-20th???

sunshower
08-25-2013, 14:33
Question:

Will this be a car camping or a backpacking hang???

Both I mentioned are backpacking, the Lincoln Woods option is a flat 2.6mile trip in. Last time we were there a guy with a cane was there so it is definitely easy.

zappa870
08-26-2013, 19:33
I am confused now, will this be at Mt Cardigan or in the White Mt's. I really don't care either way.

sunshower
08-26-2013, 20:12
i don't know- did someone mention Cardigan?

zappa870
08-26-2013, 20:15
It was near the start of the thread, you nd I said we were in or watching. SKYPAINTER mentioned it

SkyPainter
08-27-2013, 08:46
It was near the start of the thread, you nd I said we were in or watching. SKYPAINTER mentioned it

===> Yup! I did. One of our member hangers, Cindy, trail name -Reason-, graciously offered to let us hang on her land on/near Mt Cardigan. She has a lot of acres, an outhouse, and it is all private. It was one option. She has replied in either this thread or another one with optimal dates for them.

Just one hang option.

~ SkyPainter

~Reason~
08-29-2013, 21:07
Oh hi,
We have 110 acres of forest adjacent to the Mt. Cardigan area and Welton Falls. We would love to have people up there. We keep saying we wish more people would come up and enjoy it.

Trucks can easily make it up the mile of logging road without needing 4wheel drive. Cars without really good clearance may be scary. Camper and stream is about 200 yards from where you park. A wheel barrow is available. You could camp with the group or hike wherever you want on the land and hang solo.

Camping up there is primitive. Wilderness for miles in every direction and a zillion nice hikes from there. Cell phones mostly don't work unless you climb a mountain. You can get and send texts by 3g at the camper though.

No running water and just a little gas generator if we needed electricity. There is a big running brook for non potable water and cold swimming. Setting up a hammock over the swimming hole is fun :-)

The outhouse is clean and easy. You never have to see or smell anyones poo but your own. Standard ceramic toilet in the outhouse, but rather than water, you use a bag and some kitty litter, then tie that bag and throw it in the trash which we pack out. (It is much easier than it sounds). Flush toilet and running water is at the AMC lodge a 1.5 mile hike away.

We have no shortage of trees :-) People can always bail to the fifth wheel camper if their hammock insulation doesn't work out in the middle of the night. We have lots of sleeping space in there and propane heat.

~Reason~
08-29-2013, 21:14
Forgot to add that the land is about 80 minutes from the mass/nh border of rt 93 , off exit 23.

olddog
08-29-2013, 21:28
Just got back into Florida and reading this and seeing that the highs for Maine are in the 60's. Makes me wish I had stayed around for a bit longer.

zappa870
08-30-2013, 04:24
Tht sounds great!!! So who is in for Mt. Cardigan?

raindog
08-30-2013, 08:20
Will you accept a (kind of) newbie on your hang? I've been working out my system in my backyard in preparation for backpacking with my hammock setup. It would be nice to meet fellow hangers, especially of the New England variety.

~Reason~
08-30-2013, 08:45
Of course! It will be a great chance to learn. Be ready for the temperature to be colder than the forecast for town though. It is generally 10°colder or so. Like I said though, we have a 5th wheel camper with a heater if you're getting too cold overnight as long as you don't mind throwing a sleeping bag down next to someone.

Kids are also welcome. I think I'll have our four out there. Keep an eye kids if they are not yet wilderness wise. It usually takes a while for them to realize that, yes, they could get hopelessly lost and no, those fallen trees have not been secured and safety tested, but boy it's cool to see the milky way in the sky at night.

Unfortunately it is rough forest, so not really set up for handicapped, but there are ways we might be able to work that out. If anyone wants to talk about that, let me know.

raindog
08-30-2013, 10:03
Awesome! It will only be me, as the cats don't camp out very well.

I'm hoping that I will be warm, because I just bought a peapod (through this forum, in fact). I'm not sure if I'm going to get to test it out before then, so we may all be in for a show as I try to figure out how to attach the dang thing ;)

zappa870
08-30-2013, 11:07
Raindog, I did my first hang 2 weekends ago with a group of these hammockers. I had the greatest time, got the greatest tips and information. You'll be in great hands

shrineclown
08-30-2013, 12:09
and when? Need a date.

~Reason~
08-30-2013, 12:57
People were saying October 18-20 weekend? I think that works for us. But we're open on dates around then. Maybe have a rain date too? It's not like I have to book a reservation :-)

I'm heading up this weekend if anyone local wants to check it out.

SkyPainter
08-30-2013, 17:10
I am up in Woodstock, Vermont for the weekend. Middle-end of Oct looks okay so far, but I am waiting to hear about a date around then for eye surgery (having my eye lenses replaced- just one for now), so until know when, I can't yet commit.

Hang Tight!

~ SkyPainter

Snaggletooth
08-30-2013, 19:13
I wont be able to make it the 18-20 On call that week.

GT
08-30-2013, 19:20
Anyone in Northern New England want to "hang out" before Christmas?

I'm going out next week sometime to test out a new hammock kit and then I'd be up for any small group hangs. We don't seem to have too many up here. I'm in NH but will travel to anywhere in MA, VT, or ME. Maybe when/if gas prices come down I would be willing to travel further south to some of the bigger events.

Where you from in New Hampster? I've got camp sites all over the lakes region. Some you have to 4x4 out to. Some you have to hike out to. And some! Are at favorite campsites like "Deer Mountain" 4 miles sout of the Canadian border, Aye!

zappa870
08-30-2013, 19:43
I love Deer Mountain

shrineclown
08-30-2013, 20:24
I love Deer Mountain

I love deer...and mountains.

shrineclown
08-30-2013, 20:27
I am up in Woodstock, Vermont for the weekend. Middle-end of Oct looks okay so far, but I am waiting to hear about a date around then for eye surgery (having my eye lenses replaced- just one for now), so until know when, I can't yet commit.

Hang Tight!

~ SkyPainter

Does this mean we are going to have to call you Sir Knight Cyclops from now on?

SkyPainter
08-30-2013, 20:55
===> Well, for a while, anyway! Once I have both Bionic eyes, we may need to change it! Will be good to be able to actually see in free fall again!

~ SkyPainter

GT
08-30-2013, 21:14
I love Deer Mountain

The best site is he one out at the dam. Site 28 I think. I was up there a few weeks ago and was the only one at the campground. 28 sites and it was me and my two dogs. Caught so many trout I got tired of catching trout.

zappa870
08-31-2013, 04:39
That's the best

sunshower
08-31-2013, 16:28
We are in for My Cardigan Oct 18-20th. Should I make an official thread?

sunshower
08-31-2013, 16:30
We have two Huskies, are leashes dogs allowed? If so we are in :0)

zappa870
08-31-2013, 17:35
I suppose u should, worked well before

~Reason~
08-31-2013, 18:03
Fine with us , but be advised that there is a huge amount of wildlife. Moose, bear etc. We just got a 350$ emergency vet bill for porcupine quill removal.

~Reason~
08-31-2013, 18:05
Someone should make a thread. I would, but I'm up here now with limited internets.

sunshower
08-31-2013, 18:37
Please see official thread

~Reason~
08-31-2013, 19:18
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79041