PDA

View Full Version : TX>Atlanta SP>Jan 11-13 2013

oldgringo
10-17-2012, 15:54
Lets welcome the New Year in.

jrs
10-17-2012, 16:14
!'m in, got all this cold weather over buy need to use it, great place. You are bringing the wash tube?

oldgringo
10-17-2012, 16:18
Aye, fire ring, coffee pot, coupla yaks...

Jazilla
10-17-2012, 16:24
I'm gonna rally the troops and see

EastTexasHanger
10-17-2012, 20:46
I'm making a new winter tarp, need to test it somewhere. this sounds better than the backyard.. I'm in. Mark

UncleMJM
10-17-2012, 21:09
I love swamps and people who hang in them. Mark us down as a definite "maybe" x 3.

sandpiper
10-17-2012, 21:35
Count me in!

Granger
10-17-2012, 22:30
Sounds like a plan to me!

Hey og, thanks for the PM about this event. Gunna put the yak on the packing list. U think I should put a small Cajun recipe on the packing list too??

oldgringo
10-17-2012, 22:37
Sounds like a plan to me!

Hey og, thanks for the PM about this event. Gunna put the yak on the packing list. U think I should put a small Cajun recipe on the packing list too??

Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about hiring a Louisiana caterer.:lol:

This time you take $. For real, dude.

Granger
10-17-2012, 22:57
Caterer hired!

$$ to cook...will travel:thumbup1:

oldgringo
10-17-2012, 22:59
Caterer hired!

$$ to cook...will travel:thumbup1:

<fist bump>:)

Jazilla
10-18-2012, 07:14
Hey I make a dang good Chef's assistant when I'm not in the roll of "The Face" hang coordinate and general "oh your that guy".

Alan
10-18-2012, 08:05
Count me in.

gospidey
10-18-2012, 09:45
Put me down in dark pencil. My wife's birthday is that weekend so I will see. I really enjoyed the last one.

babelfish5
11-08-2012, 11:40
I'm in. Looking forward to it.

tbctx
11-10-2012, 22:56
Hope to make it.

skyclad
11-11-2012, 11:04
Caddo is about as far away from me as you can get and still be in Texas. I've never been there so might consider it, especially since I missed Fairfield this weekend. Did you have any strummers?

Sky

^shane^
11-11-2012, 11:14
If I'm in town, the lady and I are in.

slinky
11-11-2012, 15:51
I'm in. Michelle will just be getting back in to school from Christmas break so, I don't think she'll make it.

Bald Cypress
11-11-2012, 16:32
Being so close, I'd remiss in not showing up.

Kattelyn
11-12-2012, 08:29
Definite maybes here too. I want to go.

oldgringo
11-12-2012, 19:02
The paddling @ Caddo is extraordinary. I plan to bring extra boats, and encourage others to do the same. So, if you don't have a boat, there's a good chance we can get you on the water anyway.

Guyz
11-13-2012, 17:40
That's too close. I need your morning coffee OG. I'm pretty sure I can make that one.

Buck
11-13-2012, 19:51
I'm In with my son. Will bring yaks

babelfish5
11-24-2012, 19:49
I'm In with my son. Will bring yaks

Since we have so many boats, we should all wear eye patches and pirate costumes. We could be the Caddo lake Hammock Buccaneers.

Throkda
11-24-2012, 22:20
Tempting -- I have a pirate costume I wear every Halloween...if it's warm enough, I'd consider it! Yarr!!

Bigbaby
11-24-2012, 22:28
Just found this. I might give it a try!

babelfish5
12-04-2012, 14:07
The paddling @ Caddo is extraordinary. I plan to bring extra boats, and encourage others to do the same. So, if you don't have a boat, there's a good chance we can get you on the water anyway.

I just tried to reserve a spot for the hang in the Mill Pond area. I'll be arriving on January 10th. There aren't any sites available.

Is there anyone who would be willing to split the cost of a site and let me hang with them?

Alan
12-04-2012, 14:23
Is there anyone who would be willing to split the cost of a site and let me hang with them?

Ooh...Ooh...me...me..pick me... :D
Dang. I don't have a site, either.

babelfish5
12-04-2012, 14:28

Maybe someone who is kind and giving will be willing to share with the both of us <insert puppy dog eye look here>. :)

CooOkieCOOon
12-04-2012, 14:36
Aw man. Me too. I was really wanting to make it out to this one. :(

Alan
12-04-2012, 14:43
http://www.canadapetgrooming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Sad-Puppy-Nice-Picture.jpg

UncleMJM
12-04-2012, 14:50

Same story here. I've been a "may be"
and Cindy just put in for a sub so we're clear to come but if there's no room at the inn we may need to step back and take another look at it.

Maybe someone who is kind and giving will be willing to share with the both of us <insert puppy dog eye look here>. :)

Waving for attention from the back of the crowd for some more trees to share.

Alan
12-04-2012, 15:06
Back to Fairfield Lake SP?

oldgringo
12-04-2012, 15:49
Uh-oh.:(

I never anticipated this in January.

How many have reserved a site?

UncleMJM
12-04-2012, 16:03
Uh-oh.:(

I never anticipated this in January.

How many have reserved a site?

I do not have a site reserved yet. :(

FWIW, Here is a collection of names based on this thread that have either indicated an interest or are planning to go:

Oldgringo
JRS
Jazilla
East Texas Hanger
UncleMJM * 3
Sandpiper & Kat (I'm assuming)
Granger
Alan
Gospidey
BabelFish5
TBCTX
Skyclad
^Shane^ & Date
Slinky
Bald Cypress
Kattelyn & Throkda
Guyz
Buck & son
Bigbaby
Easttex

I ran out of fingers and toes, but that looks like 26. Based on my memory of sites there, we'd need at least a total of 5 or 6 sites if we got the right ones to fit. I may be mistaken. (10 or 11 if you count cars per site requirements.)

oldgringo
12-04-2012, 16:37
That seems unlikely.

I hate to cancel this hang, but...

babelfish5
12-04-2012, 17:25
That seems unlikely.

I hate to cancel this hang, but...

I tried to reserve a sight from Jan 10 - 13th. It looks like the only sites that are available are the RV sites.

We don't have to cancel. We could move the hang to another park.

oldgringo
12-04-2012, 17:28
I tried to reserve a sight from Jan 10 - 13th. It looks like the only sites that are available are the RV sites.

We don't have to cancel. We could move the hang to another park.

Suggestions?

babelfish5
12-04-2012, 17:46
Suggestions?

There is Inks Lake or maybe Lake Somerville. We could do Fairfield again.

babelfish5
12-04-2012, 18:03
There is Inks Lake or maybe Lake Somerville. We could do Fairfield again.

I've already taken those dates off. Either way, I'm hang in' somewhere that weekend. I keep thinking about Guadalupe State Park or Goose Island.

I feel the fishing urge coming on.

oldgringo
12-04-2012, 18:40
I'm not that familiar with that part of LA/TX, so am looking for input. I would like to keep it close, so we don't lose people that have committed.

Raoul Duke
12-04-2012, 19:03
I've already taken those dates off. Either way, I'm hang in' somewhere that weekend. I keep thinking about Guadalupe State Park or Goose Island.

Not sure if you've ever been there before, but you'll definitely enjoy Guadalupe River State Park. I hung there this past weekend on a family car-camping trip. I love that place. The sites are generally far enough apart that you actually get a little seclusion and privacy.

The fishing is a little slow there due to super low water in the river. You'd be better off if you had access to a canoe or kayak so you could paddle upriver into some of the deeper pools and lakes.

sandpiper
12-04-2012, 19:09
Looks like the "water only" sites are closed until March 1. They are replacing the bridge. This is from the TPWD Customer Service. I will call the park tomorrow and see if they will allow us to "walk" into the sites, although I doubt it. The other option would be to reserve some of the RV sites that back up to that area...

oldgringo
12-04-2012, 19:29
Just got a discouraging email from Kat. Here's the text:

For your info my friend Danny says paddling in the lake is awful. The salvinia has taken over and lake water is down.

Danny has house on lake. Says it would take a three week freeze to kill salvinia. They have lost almost one third of lake. Salvinia is so thick no light penetrates bottom. Pull it back. Nothing on bottom. No life at all. Area fills and becomes land.

Kat

Throkda
12-04-2012, 20:22
Out that direction, we've liked Bob Sandlin and Dangerfield, also. There's Fairfield...we also really like the small-park feel of Meridian (about the same distance from DFW, but in a different direction). Splitting the difference between DFW and Caddo, we also love Tyler.

babelfish5
12-04-2012, 21:13
I would be up for Meridian or Tyler.

oldgringo
12-04-2012, 21:46
i'd like to keep the guys from LA in the game.

^shane^
12-04-2012, 23:14
I'm still in. Just need a destination.

Looking at Google maps... anyone done Martin Creek State Park (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/martin-creek-lake)?

Throkda
12-04-2012, 23:21
We've dropped in at Martin Creek (kinda cool wandering around the island). I remember it as a pretty park, but we were only there for an hour or so.

We were mainly on our way home from Caddo (this was before we got into hammock camping), and we didn't really look at the campsites. It was warm weather at the time, and the park then was heavily populated with tailgating families out to party at the lake. Should be quiet enough in January, though.

UncleMJM
12-04-2012, 23:22

My story as well. :shades:

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 04:57
I have never been to any of the places being discussed, other than Fairfield, and am reluctant to just pick one, hoping for the best. Tim will be here this afternoon...maybe he can shed a little light on things. Fairfield may end up being our best option.

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 07:36
Atlanta SP, on Wright-Patman? Anybody?

Kattelyn
12-05-2012, 07:57
Here's another vote for Meridian. We really do love that park. But we're happy with wherever we end up.

How about Tyler or Daingerfield?

Meridian state park picture set. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/throkda/sets/72157610930290228/)

Daingerfield picture set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/throkda/sets/72157610859641797/)

Tyler picture set. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/throkda/sets/72157610859150977/)

Guyz
12-05-2012, 08:59
Fairfield is a bit far for me, don't know that I can make that. I'm not far from Caddo.... I may take a ride over there and talk to someone, or were the park folks pretty definite?

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 09:06
I'm going to try to keep this proximate to the original site. If we get too far from that, it becomes too far for some that have signed on for Caddo.

I'm looking at Daingerfield. Tim has camped there, and will know if it's suitable.

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 09:09
Fairfield is a bit far for me, don't know that I can make that. I'm not far from Caddo.... I may take a ride over there and talk to someone, or were the park folks pretty definite?

Sandpiper is going to call the park this morning, and see if something can be worked out. We may take you up on your offer, depending on what she learns.

rhjanes
12-05-2012, 09:37
I spent two hours at Coopers Lake SP, north of Sulphur Springs, this past Sunday. Nice place, very much like Tyler SP. A lot of camping areas, mostly set up for car camping. I was checking it out for a possible Orienteering Event. Only to find most trails were closed due to Deer Bow-hunting!
Anyway, cooper Lake SP could be another option.
The other thought is to call the different State Parks.
The weekend of 11/4 we had a two day orienteering event at McKinney Falls SP in Austin. In mid-October, we checked online for campsites and got NOTHING avaliable. What? My SP buddy called. Oh, several basic sites (water and electric) were open, if you called. All walk in (rustic) were on a first-come, first-served basis. So he reserved a basic (water and electricity) site over the phone. When he got there at noon on Friday, he asked about the walk-in/rustics. they only have like 8, but only 2 were spoken for! So he just switched to that. We had a water outlet about 20 meters away. We had a bath room up the hill, 100 meters, where the cars were parked. We had showers about 1/2 mile away (it was closer to walk to it than driving, but all uphill).
Anyway, suggest a call to the parks in mind, with the rough number of people.

I'd not make it on the 1/12 date (orienteering event already slated). Just offering up ideas.

tbctx
12-05-2012, 10:21
Cooper is actually two state parks a north Doctors creek unit and a south sulfur springs unit. South has a water only are but its lacking in hanging sites for a group of any size, its also extremly exposed to the wind blowing north accrosses a long stretch of lake. North side is all water/electric sites, some would take a handful if you go in a bit.

Atlanta is a nice state park for 1-4 but it would be hard to get more than that in and very few sites will take more than 1-2. Last time I was there they were logging to thin out trees some so it may be better and it may be worse now though. It was a nice quiet park as far as traffic levels. Its also a walk to the water from the sites.

Dangerfield is pretty nice, the middle area could probably handle a few hammocks but again the water area doesn't have sites with a whole lot of hanging spots per site for a hang of much size without using quite a few sites.

Fairfield we have all been too, Tyler and meridian I haven't been to recently.

Think I got all of the ones mentioned.

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 10:32
Cooper is actually two state parks a north Doctors creek unit and a south sulfur springs unit. South has a water only are but its lacking in hanging sites for a group of any size, its also extremly exposed to the wind blowing north accrosses a long stretch of lake. North side is all water/electric sites, some would take a handful if you go in a bit.

Atlanta is a nice state park for 1-4 but it would be hard to get more than that in and very few sites will take more than 1-2. Last time I was there they were logging to thin out trees some so it may be better and it may be worse now though. It was a nice quiet park as far as traffic levels. Its also a walk to the water from the sites.

Dangerfield is pretty nice, the middle area could probably handle a few hammocks but again the water area doesn't have sites with a whole lot of hanging spots per site for a hang of much size without using quite a few sites.

Fairfield we have all been too, Tyler and meridian I haven't been to recently.

Think I got all of the ones mentioned.

So, are you making a recommendation?

rhjanes
12-05-2012, 10:33
That is true about Cooper, we were at the South area. You could tell the park service put in a lot of $$ for all the camp sites. But I didn't even think about "hanging" while there.

Guyz
12-05-2012, 10:34
Post by Shane:

Looking at Google maps... anyone done Martin Creek State Park?

Martin Creek is a power plant lake. It has several hiking trails and open water. The island is really nice, but requires a small hike of about 400 ft. across a bridge. Plenty of room and good access. Showers and rest rooms available.

A lot of trees for hang, but the power plant goes all night. There is plenty of light, noise, trains and whistles all night long. Good coves on the lake and popular for fishing. Not nearly as nice as Caddo for paddlers. No Cypress to speak of.:(

Incoming
12-05-2012, 15:29
Anyone familiar with Lake O The Pines some25 miles NW of Lake Caddo and 8miles north of Jefferson Texas? Ive got a cabin there but it isnt set up for a large crew however there is a camping area close to the dam but I havent been over there in a yesr or so and not sure if the camp grounds/toilets are open.

sandpiper
12-05-2012, 16:07
The water only sites at Caddo are off limits due to the bridge replacement leading into those sites. They do have plenty of the tent/rv sites available which they tell me do have plenty of trees...

Bald Cypress
12-05-2012, 17:04
Waiting on a call back from Jhonson Creek Park http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71234

It is on the North side of Lake of Pines. Gate guard said nothing hanging from trees but I don't think he is aware of hammocks.The ranger is supposed to call me back and I will talk to him and post his answer.

Sites are $16 no elect $18 W/ elect RV site $22-28 depending ?.

Brute1100
12-05-2012, 17:05
Not to discourage anyone from doing what this forum set out to do... But there is a lost maples state park trip being planned that same weekend if anyone is so inclined to join...

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 21:06
Waiting on a call back from Jhonson Creek Park http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71234

It is on the North side of Lake of Pines. Gate guard said nothing hanging from trees but I don't think he is aware of hammocks.The ranger is supposed to call me back and I will talk to him and post his answer.

Sites are $16 no elect $18 W/ elect RV site $22-28 depending ?.

This might work, if there are enough trees.

Tim and I are sitting in my living room batting this around, and haven't come up with anything that will handle a large group, other than Fairfield.

No one will hurt my feelings if they bail for Lost Maples. Caddo is toast, at least, for now.

Alan
12-05-2012, 21:22
Tim, do you have a sitrep regarding Fort Parker? Never been there but have heard others talk about it. What's it like?

UncleMJM
12-05-2012, 21:33
Fort Parker has about half a dozen primitive sites that would be great for about a dozen hammocks. The RV sites compare to a KOA.

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 21:39
Tim says he doesn't remember much about FP.

How did I get to be Tim's secretary???

Alan
12-05-2012, 21:51
FP might be a great place to paddle. People could put in at the ramp on the Navasota River near the primitive sites, float down to the lake, then back up to the primitive campsites or across the lake to the other campsites.

oldgringo
12-05-2012, 21:54
River? Water?

Granger
12-05-2012, 22:58
The water only sites at Caddo are off limits due to the bridge replacement leading into those sites. They do have plenty of the tent/rv sites available which they tell me do have plenty of trees...

Why wouldn't this work for us?

Throkda
12-06-2012, 00:25
We've been to Fort Parker in Mexia -- I do like that they have kayak ad canoe rentals, and you can put in at the boat ramp and either paddle up the Neches river, or downstream to the lake. I do recall that we only found a few sites with trees spaced right for our hammocks, though. I still think Tyler would be a better Plan B if we were coming more west from Caddo. I do know that Lake Bob Sandlin has lots of trees at their sites.

oldgringo
12-06-2012, 07:32
Why wouldn't this work for us?

No reason, but a secondary issue for many is the degraded paddling opportunity at Caddo right now. As I understand it, you can't even get in the water.

This is giving me a headache.:(

oldgringo
12-06-2012, 07:34
Tim says Atlanta SP is wonderful, but he is unsure as to whether there are enough sites suitable for hanging. Anybody close enough to run over there and recon?

jrs
12-06-2012, 08:28
OG, Now i can see how your being "pilot in command" experience comes into play, with the "world ending in a few days", you stay on point in using your extensive administrative skills to "get the hang done" and taking on the roll of an administrative assistant for Tim, I know we all appreciate your efforts in finding a park to hang in, presuming world is still here. I'm leaving for the mulberry where its peaceful, see you there, hope your headache gets better.

Guyz
12-06-2012, 09:52
Tim says Atlanta SP is wonderful, but he is unsure as to whether there are enough sites suitable for hanging. Anybody close enough to run over there and recon?

I'm only about an hour away from where I work. I'll see if I can slip over there today & check it out.

oldgringo
12-06-2012, 11:36
I'm only about an hour away from where I work. I'll see if I can slip over there today & check it out.

Thank you. I'd really like to get this settled.

jrs
12-06-2012, 14:11
and they thought the fed budget was difficult to resolve.

oldgringo
12-06-2012, 14:25
and they thought the fed budget was difficult to resolve.

Not hard to resolve, but I'd like everyone to be happy with what we come up with.

Guyz
12-06-2012, 18:56
Atlanta SP is only 10 minutes outside of Atlanta, TX. Had to stop for an insulted deer because I made her pause. Plenty of wildlife. Park has lotsa trees. Plenty of room for hanging. The rangers have no problems with hangers (we are welcome:) It's a pretty park.

The lake does not have cypress like Caddo, but the ranger said this was one of her favorite kayaking lakes. It's a pretty good sized lake. The Knight's Bluff camp area is near the water. Has restrooms and showers.

Fee's run: $14 for RV water, sewer & electric, $12 for just water & electric. (no primitive camp) +$3 per camper per night, and $2 vehicle charge. Two vehicles per camp site. All RV sites can be reserved in advance. If you tell them U R with hammock forum, they will do their best to group everyone together. The RV sites within 200 yards of the shoreline, so paddlers could come & go easily.

Atlanta has a population of about 6,000 with hospital and most resources available should you need something.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

SITREP complete!:shades:

^shane^
12-06-2012, 19:36
I'd vote for either Tyler SP or Atlanta SP.

I've always heard Tyler SP is awesome, but have never been there.

babelfish5
12-06-2012, 20:14
I'd vote for either Tyler SP or Atlanta SP.

I've always heard Tyler SP is awesome, but have never been there.

Ditto. Either park works for me.

Guyz
12-06-2012, 22:39
The folks from Louisiana will add an additional 75 miles further than Caddo to get to the Tyler sp. The Atlanta sp is about 30 miles further than Caddo. Doesn't make any difference to me, I"m in the NW corner of the state. The folks from Lafeyette already have about a 4 hr trip to Caddo.

oldgringo
12-07-2012, 04:59
Atlanta it is. Make your reservations.

Thank you, Guyz.

Alan
12-07-2012, 09:23
Reservations made! I'll be there on the 10th.

oldgringo
12-07-2012, 10:26
Just reserved 2 sites x3 nights. Arriving on the 10th.

UncleMJM
12-07-2012, 11:16
Reservations made! I'll be there on the 10th.

Ditto.

We will be arriving late Thursday night as the plan is now, so hopefully someone can scope out some trees for a honeymoon suite and a superfly.

Guyz
12-07-2012, 11:55
Reserved 1 site on Knight Bluff area for 3 days. Be there on the evening of the 10th.

Thank you, Guyz.

Your joy is mine!:)

Alan
12-07-2012, 12:12
Are we requesting to all stay in the White Oak area or the Knights Bluff area?

Guyz
12-07-2012, 12:13
Knights Bluff

lobatrain
12-08-2012, 21:49
how far is the camping/hang place from waco, tx, thank ;-)

oldgringo
12-09-2012, 18:06
how far is the camping/hang place from waco, tx, thank ;-)

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=waco,+tx+to+atlanta,+tx&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

lobatrain
12-09-2012, 23:47
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=waco,+tx+to+atlanta,+tx&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Thanks for the information sir,.. If Gods will that i can, is it ok to join your group for a hang/camping? i'm new here in US and its gonna be my first time to hang/camp here in a group,.. and even if i don't have a kayak? thanks :)

oldgringo
12-10-2012, 06:42
Thanks for the information sir,.. If Gods will that i can, is it ok to join your group for a hang/camping? i'm new here in US and its gonna be my first time to hang/camp here in a group,.. and even if i don't have a kayak? thanks :)

Of course! We will look forward to meeting you.

Guyz
12-10-2012, 08:05
Dave, do we want to try a pot luck one evening. I make a pretty good Hunan chicken stir fry on a cajun wok?

oldgringo
12-10-2012, 08:11
Dave, do we want to try a pot luck one evening. I make a pretty good Hunan chicken stir fry on a cajun wok?

Yes, I was going to post something today. Ryan (Granger) won't be able to make it, so let's pot luck Saturday night.

Guyz
12-10-2012, 10:46
Sounds good! I'll bring the Cajun wok.

oldgringo
12-10-2012, 12:03
I just spoke with Jan @ Atlanta S.P. she is putting us in the water and electric sites @ Knight's Bluff...there are 8 sites total. It would probably be a good idea to call her after making online reservations, so everyone ends up together.

Alan
12-10-2012, 12:18
Jan is away from the office and won't be back for a couple of hours. I was told to call back later this afternoon.

oldgringo
12-10-2012, 12:29
Jan is away from the office and won't be back for a couple of hours. I was told to call back later this afternoon.

She already has everybody together, now that I told her we're a group. I was posting that more for those that have yet to make their resers.

They are looking forward to having us...I see a trend emerging.:)

Alan
12-10-2012, 12:31
Sorry about that. I misunderstood. Thanks for taking care of us, Dave!

oldgringo
12-10-2012, 12:59
Guyz deserves the thanks. Without his groundwork, I'd of slit my wrists by now.:rolleyes:

Guyz
12-10-2012, 13:27
Guyz deserves the thanks. Without his groundwork, I'd of slit my wrists by now.

Glad to be of service:)

I've got a space reserved, but I'm coming alone. I think I remember the ranger saying you can have 6 people per space. I welcome anyone! I'll be there Thursday evening after work.:shades:

Alan
12-10-2012, 14:01
I've got a site reserved. Anyone is welcome to stay with me, as well.

slinky
12-10-2012, 17:34
I've got a site reserved. Anyone is welcome to stay with me, as well.

I'll take you up on that offer, Alan.

Alan
12-10-2012, 18:16

Excellent!

UncleMJM
12-10-2012, 20:26

Don't forget your pup proof gaiters Alan.

oldgringo
12-11-2012, 03:56
Don't forget your pup proof gaiters Alan.

:D

Better yet, hip boots.:cool:

Alan
12-11-2012, 07:44
I've asked Santa for some MAX-sized hip waders!

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/rimshot.jpg?w=720

Get it? MAX-sized? Because Gary's dog is named Max.
Anyone?
Anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller?

....cricket's chirping....

^shane^
12-11-2012, 15:02
http://shaneandpamela.com/orsonclapping.gif

he never stops... it's hypnotizing...

Buck
12-11-2012, 16:26
I haven't made reservations yet if someone wnats to split a site let me know. It's just me and the boy.

jrs
12-11-2012, 17:26
I made a reservation but not site specific as they are reserving the 8 sites for our group will define site no after 1st of yr or on arrival and you are welcome to join. should be several folks @ each site as, Jan was working on getting our group together, in talking to her she was excited about "hammock campers coming in" is going to see if she can get local newspaper to come out and take pics and do a story on hammock camping, I told her Old Gringo was the nat'l head mogul over all hammock people, just couldn't resist since he had such a marvelous time setting this up, :) jim

^shane^
12-11-2012, 17:29
Should be there sometime Friday afternoon. Would love to mooch some space with someone. Cash will trade hands:)

jrs
12-11-2012, 17:38
shane your welcome to share mine, I'll bring Pam's reading hammock, i'm going in Thur, see u then, cost is covered. jim

Guyz
12-11-2012, 17:40
Quoted by Shane:
Should be there sometime Friday afternoon. Would love to mooch some space with someone.

I've got space, you are welcome:)

Alan
12-15-2012, 12:09
How many people are planning on paddling?

oldgringo
12-17-2012, 06:26
How many people are planning on paddling?

Kat, Sandpiper, Tim, and I will paddle.

slinky
12-17-2012, 21:25
I'm hoping to be kayakless by then. Ive got mine up for sale on a couple of forums and Craigslist. I probably won't have time to get my new kayak. So, Max and I will keep the fire going while everyone's out getting wet. Lol.

jrs
12-20-2012, 11:19
id like to, if there's an extra floating device, but will find things to do or do nothing.

Buck
12-22-2012, 21:06
I have 2 yaks and 2 canoes. My son may or may or may not come if he has to work. I can bring them if anyone wants to use them.

rodloos
12-22-2012, 22:23
Are y'all making reservations for the water/electric sites? I'm thinking I may be able to try and make it.

I have kayaks, not sure if I'll manage to bring one or not.

UncleMJM
12-23-2012, 01:11
The three of us would love to give paddling a try if there are some loaners available with coaching.

jrs
12-23-2012, 01:30
rodloos, Jan the rangerette told me they were planning on setting sites 1 through 8 aside for our group, said she'd confirm it after the 1st.

oldgringo
12-23-2012, 06:02
The three of us would love to give paddling a try if there are some loaners available with coaching.

I have more boats than I do paddles and PFDs...anybody have extras?

rodloos
12-23-2012, 12:21
I have more boats than I do paddles and PFDs...anybody have extras?

I'll try and bring extra pfd's and paddles. I actually have 4 kayaks and a canoe, but doubt I'll be able to fit more than one or two kayaks in with my other gear.

I will try to get off from work that Friday the 11th and come out then.

rodloos
01-02-2013, 18:46
Made my reservations online for a water+electric 2 nights, arriving Friday Jan 11. I know they normally don't assign specific sites until you arrive there. Not sure yet what time I'll get there Friday, depends on whether I can get the day off from work.

I'm really hoping the weather will be warmer than what the DFW area has this week, highs in the 40's brrr :) I'd better bring some firewood too!

oldgringo
01-03-2013, 13:00
I just called Atlanta to check on burn bans...none at this time. The man I spoke with (Regan) asked for my name and number and offered to call me if anything changes. He also said, "I heard y'all were coming. We're looking forward to having you." Wow. Gotta love this. I'm gettin' pumped.:)

oldgringo
01-03-2013, 13:24
Here's a link to the NWS forecast for ASP.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=33.234739081550316&lon=-94.24982070922851

oldgringo
01-04-2013, 13:57
Here's a first cut on attendees. I've probably missed one or two, and inevitably, there will be some drop outs. Y'all check the list, and help me bring it up to date. Looks like 26 right now.

Oldgringo
JRS
Jazilla
East Texas Hanger
UncleMJM * 3
Alan
Gospidey
BabelFish5
TBCTX
Skyclad
^Shane^ & Date
Slinky
Bald Cypress
Kattelyn & Throkda
Guyz
Buck & son
Bigbaby
lobatrain
rodloos

UncleMJM
01-04-2013, 14:03
I think I saw Easttex post that he was going on the Lost Maples hang that weekend.

lobatrain
01-05-2013, 23:51
I just called Atlanta to check on burn bans...none at this time. The man I spoke with (Regan) asked for my name and number and offered to call me if anything changes. He also said, "I heard y'all were coming. We're looking forward to having you." Wow. Gotta love this. I'm gettin' pumped.:)

This is good sir, i could join if the park has no burn bans on Saturday night... this will save me for lacking on some gears :)

CooOkieCOOon
01-06-2013, 14:15
I think I saw Easttex post that he was going on the Lost Maples hang that weekend.

Yes, I'll be going to Lost Maples this time.

Jazilla
01-07-2013, 16:28
Dave, just want to let you know have to pass. Both the kids have been sick since Thanksgiving and we were at the ER Saturday with my little boy who has severe tonsil-itis and he doesn't have tonsils. I am working on making it to the Buffalo River in March depending on if my little girl has to have sinus surgery or not. Hope y'all have a good one, take it easy.

oldgringo
01-07-2013, 16:35
Dave, just want to let you know have to pass. Both the kids have been sick since Thanksgiving and we were at the ER Saturday with my little boy who has severe tonsil-itis and he doesn't have tonsils. I am working on making it to the Buffalo River in March depending on if my little girl has to have sinus surgery or not. Hope y'all have a good one, take it easy.

Take care of your family...we'll still be here.

oldgringo
01-08-2013, 05:58
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=33.234739081550316&lon=-94.24982070922851

Bring your rain gear!

Guyz
01-08-2013, 08:04
Aye, aye captain;)

UncleMJM
01-08-2013, 12:28
So, in a weak moment late last November I said "Yes" to Gringo's request to fix a group breakfast for Saturday morning so now I'm thinking more about it.

If my math is right, it looks like 24 folks, (which is a piece of cake quantity wise). I'm already salivating at the anticipation of tasting the picante sauce on the breakfast tacos. BYO OJ.

^shane^
01-08-2013, 14:03
Hey guys. Pam and I are out. Just found out that I get to work all weekend. Sorry for the late notice.

oldgringo
01-08-2013, 14:05
I get 25.....

oldgringo
01-08-2013, 14:06

Gimpy
01-08-2013, 22:25
I am going to make it. I'll show up on thursday the 10th. Looking forward to it. Gimpy.

lobatrain
01-08-2013, 23:25
I'm sorry sir I'm out.. see you guys next hangouts, be safe :)

slinky
01-09-2013, 00:29
Anyone have portable pavilion? Maybe a 30' circle with a smoke hole. We're gonna need it!

oldgringo
01-09-2013, 03:21
I'm getting 21, now.

Oldgringo
JRS
East Texas Hanger
UncleMJM * 3
Alan
Gospidey
BabelFish5
TBCTX
Skyclad
Slinky
Bald Cypress
Kattelyn & Throkda
Guyz
Bigbaby
rodloos
Gimpy

oldgringo
01-09-2013, 03:25
Anyone have portable pavilion? Maybe a 30' circle with a smoke hole. We're gonna need it!

I'm bringing a 10x10 E-Z Up, and a couple of tarps. We'll cobble something together.

I'll call the park office when they open up to see if they have any kind of group pavilion available.

Edit: Just checked the map, and there is a pavilion at Knight's Bluff. I may try to reserve it for Sat.

oldgringo
01-09-2013, 09:48
Reagan, from ASP just called me to confirm that A) there is no burn ban, and B) it's raining.:D

The pavilion is available, but is not immediately proximate to the sites we have reserved. He raised the possibility of moving us, and I said the availability of suitable trees was the controlling factor. We agreed that the first hanger to arrive would evaluate all of the campsites and make a decision.

I will arrive at noon, or slightly thereafter...anybody going today?

rodloos
01-09-2013, 10:54
I won't make it there until tomorrow, probably in the afternoon sometime. I do have a pretty large tarp I can bring, that might help give us a protected place to gather. I'll try to bring some firewood too, although what I have has been soaking in this nice steady rain we're getting (and we NEEDED this rain! :) ).

Buck
01-09-2013, 12:00
Just found out I'm going to have to work this weekend. Hopefully next time we will make it. Y'all be safe!!

jrs
01-09-2013, 14:36
i've reserved the group shelter for fri and sat, its a short distance from the loop they have reserved for us, however OG as well as myself will be in noon + tomorrow, if the trees are good @ the sites closer to shelter, then well tell them we'll be in that area, in cking with park there are few to no other campers, anyway we'll have dry social area for OG to get into depth on how to find the infamous 30% angle and other things the oracle of Oklahoma knows, and Texas longhorn, I'm looking forward to seeing your new set up, jim

Guyz
01-10-2013, 08:08
I'll be there either late Thurs night or early Fri morning

oldgringo
01-10-2013, 09:07
Leaving in 10.

UncleMJM
01-10-2013, 09:21
Leaving in 10.

Leaving in 8.

Hours that is.

ETA 9:30-10:00pm

jrs
01-10-2013, 10:12
left

it's great, there's not a fire ban and hot, and that OG may be able to kayak rt from hammock...

Throkda
01-12-2013, 08:32
Sorry I didn't log in early enough to notify people we were cancelling -- haven't checked in on the forum since sometime before Christmas. I got some kind of superbug that took me out for about 3 weeks, and I'm still recovering, so it's probably not a good idea, given my coughing fits with too much cold air.

Have fun, and post lots of pictures!

Incoming
01-13-2013, 20:13
Unfortunity I was afforded the opportunity for jury duty and missed out on this excursion but I'm hopin for better luck next time. Sure hope ya'll had a good time.

Popeye 62
01-13-2013, 20:16
People actually show up for jury duty? Lol! So, I'm not the only one. :)

Incoming
01-13-2013, 20:24
Yeah unfortunately there seems to be a multitude of evil and injustice out there. Go figure.

Caveman
01-14-2013, 11:05
I've been looking for a trip report. Pics?

oldgringo
01-14-2013, 13:56
I've been looking for a trip report. Pics?

Well, it went like this: 14 hardy souls made the trip in spite of a less-than-favorable forecast, and were rewarded with really glorious weather on Thursday and Friday, and passable wx on Saturday (light, intermittent drizzle, mild temps). It only got snotty Saturday night after a typically excellent pot luck supper, but even that made for sweet sleep.

Atlanta is a truly beautiful park, with an abundance of big, nicely spaced pines. It's hard to imagine a better place for hangers. And it was quiet! No planes, trains, and automobiles. Park staff went out of its way to make us feel welcome.

Some of us paddled, some walked in the woods, breathing in the piney goodness, some just loafed, and all had a good time.

Tim may have some pics...not sure.

Thanks to all who hung in there, and made this a weekend to remember. Sitting under a tarp watching the rain, and drinking coffee with good people ain't no bad thing.

Guyz
01-14-2013, 14:41
Really enjoyed the hang:boggle: Everyone was great! Thanks for the use of the yak Dave. Now I've got to start saving my pennies to buy one. Kat, thanks for the pointers on how to paddle one of those things. That was my first time out in one and I sure enjoyed it.

I was a shameless mooch for several meals, but they were oh sooooo good. Mike sure enjoyed the cookin. However, I think almost everyone there was a great cook. Kat, Karen, Dave, Mike, Gary thanks for the treats. Can't say I had anything that wasn't wonderful. Shrimp to monkey bread & OG's coffee. Now I'm going to have get back on my diet.

Good food, great conversation & information. Dave, this was first class:boggle:

UncleMJM
01-14-2013, 14:45
We had a great time. The Thursday night late arrival was no problem thanks to Tim covering the check-in and picking a site that worked great for us and the cool temp made for great sleeping weather.

Friday's weather really was amazing too.

I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones as well.

My only regret was that schedules on the home front caused us to miss the Saturday afternoon play time and nap time and one of my favorite things, the Saturday night pot luck.

I look forward to the next time out!

Caveman
01-14-2013, 15:18
Sounds like a great time. New rule. We aren't allowed to schedule two great Texas hangs for the same weekend anymore! :)

Missed seeing you guys (but did have a great time just the same)

UncleMJM
01-14-2013, 15:57
Missed seeing you too Caveman.

It's a big state with lots of folks and lots of good places to go.

Good to have choices.

I went with the one planned first I think, but I'd love to make Lost Maples sometime and hang with the folks who went there too.

jrs
01-14-2013, 23:43
Mike thanks once again for the Sat breakfast prepared by you, your bride and Chris. Splendid as always,and OG's bottomless coffee pot, the place and hang couldn't have been better, regardless of weather. Thanks OG for setting up the hang.

rodloos
01-15-2013, 01:25
I had a good time, and ate way too much. Thank you all for organizing it.

Next time I'll have to see if I can grab a camp site a little farther away, or bring a generator or something loud to cover up any evidence of me talking in my sleep :). I'm sure glad I wasn't having a truly embarrassing dream lol.

Bald Cypress
01-17-2013, 16:14
Sorry this took so long. But, I'm lazy.

If anyone wishes to see the set ups we had, go here [ I hope ].

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/rmax62/Atlanta%20Nat%20Forest/

Caveman
01-17-2013, 20:04
Thanks...I've been wanting to see some pics. I was begining to believe that you all just made up some elaborate story about being in the woods :)

Sorry this took so long. But, I'm lazy.

If anyone wishes to see the set ups we had, go here [ I hope ].

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/rmax62/Atlanta%20Nat%20Forest/