PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hammock Engineer

Ewker
02-20-2007, 10:43
be glad you didn't start your thru-hike early. Lots of people have gotten off the trail due to the cold. I was reading this one and thought of you. I am sure you can handle the temps but it gives you an idea of what is happening weather wise.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167157

headchange4u
02-20-2007, 10:53
I know his Trailjournal gear list is probably not complete but it seems to me that he may be a little ill-prepared. It says nothing about the rating on the bag he is using and he is only using a CCF pad. I see nothing about any insulation on the HH he is using (I know he was in a shelter in the entry you linked to). I don't think a CCF pad alone is going to keep anyone warm in the temps we have been seeing.

I would be interested in seeing his complete setup, including the clothing that he was wearing.

Ewker
02-20-2007, 11:32
oh yeah he said he wasn't totally prepared for the cold. I bet this guy never tested his setup in the cold.

That is why I said HE could handle the weather, he has tested and made modifications to his gear to handle it.

Another good read is Tom Browns journal. It isn't hammock related http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166054

Coffee
02-20-2007, 12:10
Thanks for the link.

I have been wondering how many people actually test their gear and really know how to use it before they start. I think with my April 1st start, I should see a out of people to test that theory.

I am glad I am holding off a little bit. April should be better weather, if not I'll figure something out. As long as it doesn't get -20 or more I'll be cool.

On a side note, doesn't it seem kind of strange that he made it to the springer mountain shelter, then to the forest service road and still managed to do 16 miles. With the approach trail I would think it would be closer to 10.

Just Jeff
02-20-2007, 20:11
Yep - colder than usual temps we've been seeing. Coupled with insufficient gear it could have been a miserable or dangerous night. Good thing he got cell reception!

But it sounds like a learning experience. When he hits it again in a few weeks, maybe he'll have warmer gear, tested it for contingencies, etc. Or maybe he had plenty of gear but didn't post it all, and he just doesn't like sleeping out in 7F weather. Normal people don't!

But Nate can do it!

Coffee
02-20-2007, 23:41
Yeah, if it was in the cards I would be hiking right now.

April 1st will be here before I know it. I'll post a trail journal link when I start one. I am waiting until I get ready to leave to start it. My first entry will be my travel day, or day before. Although I am planning 4 days in Hotlanta with a friend before I leave. I wonder if they count as zero days if I haved started my hike yet?

Ewker
02-20-2007, 23:45
HE, I think you have to have 3 or 4 post before it will even show up on TJ.

I am getting excited about my section hike of Ga. I can't even imagine how excited you are.

Coffee
02-20-2007, 23:51
I'm supper excited. Funny thing is, I'm in the early planning stages of something for next summer. That is taking some of the day dreaming time away.

FanaticFringer
02-20-2007, 23:52

April 1st will be here before I know it. I'll post a trail journal link when I start one. I am waiting until I get ready to leave to start it. My first entry will be my travel day, or day before. Although I am planning 4 days in Hotlanta with a friend before I leave. I wonder if they count as zero days if I haved started my hike yet?

Been anything but Hotlanta lately.:D

Coffee
02-20-2007, 23:56
That's just because I haven't been there.;)

cargousa
02-21-2007, 06:36

April 1st will be here before I know it.

Me too! But it will get here soon enough! BTW welcome to the hiking fools! see ya on the 1st!

-cargo

Coffee
02-21-2007, 11:11
Me too! But it will get here soon enough! BTW welcome to the hiking fools! see ya on the 1st!

-cargo

Is that when you are starting?

cargousa
02-22-2007, 08:45
yep! Although I was thinking about pulling it back to March 29th to try and avoid the weekend crowd. Can't see it matters a whole bunch, I'm not planning on sleeping too much in the shelters

--cargo

Coffee
02-22-2007, 12:33
Cool I'll see you out there. I'll be the guy with the pack and trekking poles. I am only planning on going to shelters for the social time, then stealthing somewhere.

Actually I should be using the gearskin pack which stands out a little bit.