PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Great Lakes (EGL) Late Fall Hang - Nov 24, 2012

Chard
10-22-2012, 09:33
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30725&d=1326064855

Hi all,

Thought it would be nice to have one last chance to get together for a leisurely hang before the snow starts to blow.

Everyone's welcome. In the past, we've had folks come out for the afternoon to say hi and then head back home after dinner. To our friends south of the border, come on up! We'd be glad to meet ya. Valens is less than 2 hours northwest of Buffalo and last year we were lucky enough to have Crash come all the way from New Jersey to join us. After all, we called ourselves the Eastern Great Lakes group with a hope to bring together hangers from both the northern and southern shores of our Great Lakes!!!

Right now it's a toss up between the Valens Conservation Area and Rattlesnake point. Although I personally think Rattlesnake Point's prettier, I'd suggest we go with Valens as it has more convenient (and heated) facilities. This offers a bailout option in the event of serious cold (that or a short drive home). Of course, feel free to float any other viable options.

So let's set the date at November 24, 2012. If there's enough interest, we can even get started on the evening of Friday Nov 23.

See you there!!!!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30723&d=1326064589

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30728&d=1326064855

[o]TTeR
10-22-2012, 09:37
I'm in, if we're going with Valens, see you on 134! or RattleSnake Site 17??

The Old Boot
10-22-2012, 10:43
My vote is for Rattlesnake - I just checked the mileage from my place ...it's almost an hour closer to me.

They're still somewhere between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 hours drive time and there's no way I'll have a complete set of equipment by then so it will definitely be just a drive by visit :D

Maybe I can find someone to carpool with from up here!

Hope to see a bunch of you there!

Jayson
10-22-2012, 11:38
Wish we could make it but we have tickets to see Cearsar Millan in Windsor on the 23rd. Not sure we will be back in time.

va3rbz
10-22-2012, 13:26
I'm a definite tentative yes, have to run it past the better non-hammock camping half first.

dant8ro
10-22-2012, 16:09
Either or is close enough for me. I'm in, but I'll have to check the date.

Dan. :)

shingaling
10-22-2012, 17:01
Great! I'm in, at either location. I don't have a hammock as of yet, but this will be my chance to *window shop* and talk with some experts...

[o]TTeR
10-22-2012, 17:15
Great! I'm in, at either location. I don't have a hammock as of yet, but this will be my chance to *window shop* and talk with some experts...

Time to find out if you're a Bridge or Gathered-End hanger??? I have enough "loaner" gear to cover a hammock, tarp and suspension for you.

cdnrogue
10-22-2012, 17:46
Keep this post up to date please on where you guys end up. I would like to just come out, say hi and check out everyones setup. I am just starting out and may not have enough equipment or the time to stay overnight, but I certainly would like to come down and say hi!
Chris
Niagara Falls

Chard
10-22-2012, 17:52
...there's no way I'll have a complete set of equipment by then so it will definitely be just a drive by visit...

I know it might be taboo, so die-hard hangers please stop reading HERE, but you just might be able to throw down a t .... e .... n .... t (don't worry, most hammockers don't see or spell too well) if it means being able to crash out overnight or not.

The Old Boot
10-22-2012, 18:02
I know it might be taboo, so die-hard hangers please stop reading HERE, but you just might be able to throw down a t .... e .... n .... t (don't worry, most hammockers don't see or spell too well) if it means being able to crash out overnight or not.

Don't have one of those whose name shall not be mentioned either :laugh:

I came to within a paycheque of putting in my order for one when I slapped myself silly and muttered something about not being very bendy due to old age and riding too hard. I had nightmares of getting in and out of a space low to the ground and all the videos that would be produced!:scared:

I may have to do another unthinkable and van camp..:scared:

We'll see!

[o]TTeR
10-22-2012, 20:33

Are you actually suggesting sleeping on the ground? Because if you are, then I have no choice but to give you a virtual look of derision and slight amusement. Plus...you sir, owe the jar a dollar :mellow:

dant8ro
10-22-2012, 20:34
(Insert Photoshop T-word swear jar here)

:rolleyes: :lol:

Bubba
10-22-2012, 21:21
Pretty sure I can go. Just have to check with work when I return from my parental leave. I will bring a tripod for the fire since [o]TTer's has been honourably discharged from service:(.

Either location is good for me. Having the washroom facilities nearby is a nice luxury though.

BrianWillan
10-22-2012, 21:35
I'm in as long as there is no rain in the forecast for that weekend. Cold and wet is a combination that I will avoid if at all possible.

Cheers

Brian

BrianWillan
10-22-2012, 21:38
Keep this post up to date please on where you guys end up. I would like to just come out, say hi and check out everyones setup. I am just starting out and may not have enough equipment or the time to stay overnight, but I certainly would like to come down and say hi!
Chris
Niagara Falls

If you click on the thread tools button at the top of this thread, you can subscribe to it and the forum will email you updates to this thread. I suggest picking daily as it will email you once per day all of the new posts to the thread.

Cheers

Brian

Chard
10-22-2012, 22:29
TTeR;841162']Are you actually suggesting sleeping on the ground? Because if you are, then I have no choice but to give you a virtual look of derision and slight amusement. Plus...you sir, owe the jar a dollar :mellow:

(Insert Photoshop T-word swear jar here)

:rolleyes: :lol:

When'd you two learn your letters? Y'all been reading Hammock Forums too dang much!!! I reckon we gotta chalk up another win for this here great webby-thingy.

sturgeon
10-22-2012, 22:30
I'm in, tentatively. I'll need to wrestle up some thicker insulation before then, but that shouldn't be too hard. I was disappointed not to have been able to go to the Algonquin hang, so I really want to make it to this one. Just need to check with my better half...

Thank you Bubba for telling me about the thread.

keg
10-22-2012, 23:01
Thank you Bubba for telling me about the thread.
I'll echo that. I I'm up for either.

surreal_trip
10-22-2012, 23:20
Much obliged to Bubba for keeping me posted. I'll have to pass on this one. My better half just had our first little hanger...

On that note anyone have any good leads on crib hammocks? get em while they're young!

Wolvaroo
10-23-2012, 00:44
I may be in. It will likely come down to the forecast a few days before. I'm light on insulation and between jobs right now so events a month away are a little unpredictable at the moment.

Deep Thought
10-23-2012, 00:59
Much obliged to Bubba for keeping me posted.

Echo that thanks to Bubba for the heads-up!
I'm interested in this hang. I'll look into getting the weekend off work.
Just got back from hanging this past weekend. Not too cold, but pretty wet. Some colder weather would be nice :)

DT

Jodster
10-23-2012, 07:02
I will be there for a visit unless work plans a trip for me that weekend.
I likely won't stay the night as I still don't have good winter insulation and I have to change out my suspension..... but it is always nice to hang out around the fire!

[o]TTeR
10-23-2012, 08:07
Echo that thanks to Bubba for the heads-up!
I'm interested in this hang. I'll look into getting the weekend off work.
Just got back from hanging this past weekend. Not too cold, but pretty wet. Some colder weather would be nice :)

DT

Deep Thought! It's been a while my friend. I was starting to wonder if you had actually gone off in search of the "Ultimate Question"??

Hope you can get the time off, It'll be good to see ya Mate :shades:

I hear banjos
10-23-2012, 09:07
Sounds good, I will try and attend.. will firm up closer to the date.

psilokan
10-23-2012, 13:44
Sounds like fun, unfortunately I just made plans for that same weekend. Too bad too, Valens is only about an hour away from me :S

fred1diver
10-24-2012, 13:28
I might be in, [I]if you accept me[I] lol I'll have to check it is a 6 hour drive for me, but I'd finally get to meet some of you guys :)
I'll keep checking the post to see if you accept me or not ;)
so far I'm not working that weekend, but I do have my son, so we'll see
FRED

Bubba
10-24-2012, 13:34
I might be in, [I]if you accept me[I] lol I'll have to check it is a 6 hour drive for me, but I'd finally get to meet some of you guys :)
FRED

I don't know, I've heard stories about you Quebecois...;). I guess it would cool to have you :)

Chard
10-24-2012, 13:58
FRED

Come on Fred1diver, you know you're more than welcome. We're all one big happy family. It'd be nice to see another son of La Belle Province!!!

I don't know, I've heard stories about you Quebecois...;). I guess it would cool to have you :)

Although an anglophone relocated to Ontario these many years, I'm proud to have been born in Quebec!! And by the way, most of those stories about the Quebecois are true, and I think half of them come from that weekend I spent on Cresent St. back in '88!!!!:shades:

[o]TTeR
10-24-2012, 15:07
And by the way, most of those stories about the Quebecois are true, and I think half of them come from that weekend I spent on Cresent St. back in '88!!!!:shades:

Just when I think we have you figured out...another puzzle piece emerges??

Chard
10-24-2012, 17:17
I might be in, if you accept me lol I'll have to check it is a 6 hour drive for me, but I'd finally get to meet some of you guys :)

Keep your eyes open Fred. We've got HF members in Ottawa and Kingston and there might be some carpooling opportunities.

va3rbz
10-25-2012, 18:57
You can upgrade me from a tentative to a definite for the Saturday night!

dant8ro
10-25-2012, 19:07
Some of my best memories of Ottawa were with crazy Quebecois, though I have to admit that most are with the girls ;-)

Dan. :D

va3rbz
10-25-2012, 19:27
My girlfriend is from Matane, so we'll leave it at that ;)

L84toff
10-29-2012, 13:08
Wife and I spent a night at the Motel Le Pharillon in Gaspé last year, *meant to be read like that Holiday Inn Express commercial* although I'm not sure how much weight that carries around here. Just please don't hold it against me that I forgot the owners name.

If schedule permits, we'd like to come hang out.

Cedar328
11-02-2012, 21:42
I am up for either location, will be there midday on the Saturday barring any unforeseen circumstances. Looking forward to testing the gear and enjoying the camaraderie.

Having never been is this a bring firewood or buy firewood situation?

Cheers.

Cedar

[o]TTeR
11-02-2012, 21:49
Both locations have posted rules against transporting wood due to the ashborer beatle issue, we usually buy wood from the park. Unfortunitly it's not the best but we often cut up some deadfall to supplement what we buy from them.

Jayson
11-02-2012, 21:53
TTeR;850368']Both locations have posted rules against transporting wood due to the ashborer beatle issue, we usually buy wood from the park. Unfortunitly it's not the best but we often cut up some deadfall to supplement what we buy from them.

Unless of course I can make it.

Cedar328
11-02-2012, 21:54
Excellent, will bring some cash and a saw even though my saw will live in the shadows of Mongrel's mega saw and cause me to subsequently question my own manliness :lol::lol:

Thanks for the info.

Cedar

Jayson
11-02-2012, 21:57
Tracey has given me the go ahead...assuming we are home from seeing Cesar Milan in time. If I make it there will be enough Maple in my trunk to keep us warm.

jimmay
11-02-2012, 22:01
I may be able to make this.

Ryvr
11-04-2012, 18:25
Im in and so is Odd Duck and my step father too. Otter I am bringing your Ryvr Paddle and with any luck the brand will be there too and my intention is to let you Brand your own paddle.

Keep your fingers crossed it shows up in time.

See you all there

Ryvr

P.S. its unlikely I will check this thread again ( I hardly ever come on the forums anymore) can someone, who has my email address, let me know which park for sure.

[o]TTeR
11-04-2012, 18:56
Im in and so is Odd Duck and my step father too. Otter I am bringing your Ryvr Paddle and with any luck the brand will be there too and my intention is to let you Brand your own paddle.

Keep your fingers crossed it shows up in time.

See you all there

Ryvr

P.S. its unlikely I will check this thread again ( I hardly ever come on the forums anymore) can someone, who has my email address, let me know which park for sure.

I hope the Brand shows up in time too…cause that would be awesome :shades:, I'll keep you posted on the Park...

Hey Chard, might be time for “Roll Call” and a final decision on the venue?? I’m good with ether Park but Rattlesnake requires some “lead time” on the permit for group camping. We were in Valens last night hoping to get below zero for a good test of the Winter Recliner (no luck, hovered at 1c), other than some RV diehards the place was empty.

Chard
11-05-2012, 12:09
TTeR;851424']Hey Chard, might be time for “Roll Call” and a final decision on the venue?? I’m good with ether Park but Rattlesnake requires some “lead time” on the permit for group camping.

Excellent idea. Let's do it this way: Anyone planning to come out please post a note with the number of people attending, the number of vehicles and the preferred venue. If you're interested in a two night hang (Friday and Saturday) please mention that as well..

Brief run-downs on pro's and con's of each site:

Valens
Pro: Open year round, preferred sites have orderly rows of ideal trees suitable for a large group size, adjecent heated comfort station (toilets, sinks, showers). This fact alone might make Valens the more suitable choice for persons looking to test their winter hammock rigs.

Con: Less private (not much of an issue last time), not as scenic as Rattlesnake Point.

Rattlesnake Point
Pro: Scenic cliffs and hiking trails, rustic setting, adjecent to Milton.
Con: Fewer consistent trees will mean we're spread out a little more, unheated toilet is a 10 minute walk away. Closed for the winter.

Note: A quick and very premature look at the 14-day forecast seems to call for nightly lows around the freezing mark. Of course we're a bit early for a useful forecast.

Number of attendees: One (One and a half?)
Number of vehicles: One
Preferrred venue: Valens
Bringing: Tarps, small grill, reflector oven, outback oven, perhaps DIY BushBuddy oven

Bubba
11-05-2012, 12:17
Number of attendees: One
Number of nights : One
Bringing: Tripod for fire

Cedar328
11-05-2012, 12:33
Hello All

This is probably more complicated than required...

Definitely one night and maybe two.
Invited 3 intrepid hangers who have yet to decide so 1-4
One or two vehicles
Indifferent about location.

Will be able to refine this in a week or so.

Cedar.

[o]TTeR
11-05-2012, 12:36
Number of nights : One
Bringing: Tripod for fire

Hey Bubba, I like this format!

Number of nights : Two
Bringing: Everything in the Gear Closet! Loaner Gear, Bushcraft & DIY stuff.

va3rbz
11-05-2012, 13:19
Number of attendees: One (possibly another forum member)
Number of nights : One(Saturday)
Bringing: enough to be self sufficient, along with some extra sleeping pads in case someone (or I) get cold, small forest axe and maybe a saw to test out

shingaling
11-05-2012, 16:39
Number of nights : One (Fri)
Preferred venue: Valens
Bringing: Bushcrafty & DIY junk

Chard
11-05-2012, 17:34
TTeR;852020']Hey Bubba, I like this format!

Bringing: Everything in the Gear Closet! Loaner Gear, Bushcraft & DIY stuff.

I totally agree!! K.I.S.S.!!!

keg
11-05-2012, 19:26
Number of nights : Saturday for sure, possible for Friday.
Preferred venue: Either
Bringing: Whatever fits in the car.

Have room to carpool from downtown T.O.

Jayson
11-05-2012, 20:43
Number of attendees: one (maybe)
Number of nights: Saturday
Number of vehicles: one
Prefer Valens.
Bringing: my stuff plus firewood.

Not 100% will all depend on how long we take getting home from Windsor. We are traveling with another couple so...
check out is 11am so should in theory be to London and my car by 2pm and then carry on to Valens.

dant8ro
11-06-2012, 06:47
Number of vehicles: One (may be able to Carpool with Brantwing)
Bringing: My gear, stove capable of boiling water at low temps, is there any group gear needed? Blue tarps etc?

Dan. :)

Chard
11-07-2012, 13:09
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSec25bz00Q45hkA7fbEmwD_DM-EVJiHCb2Iw-eBAhHybPvjCOdBMvh0KfS

Based on the early exit polls and 34% of eligible voters reporting in, we are able to project that the venue for the EGL Late Fall Hang will be at Valens. I repeat, we are able to project that the venue for the 2012 EGL Late Fall Hang be at the Valens Conservation Area.

But seriously, we'll likely need to book 3 sites. If it's ok, maybe Dant8ro, [o]TTer and myself can take care of that end.

Just a reminder, notwithstanding alternate personal arrangements, everyone's responsible for their own food, cooking, hammocking gear and well being. No chainsaw juggling this time please!!! Unless there's a hurricane, we'll have a fire going all evening so hot water shouldn't be a problem and BBQn's definitely an option. In fact, you'll likely have a vast array of amazing foods grilling over the coals.

Not to be daunted, if the weather looks "moist", let's plan to bring a couple of extra tarps and ropes and we'll put up a pavillion. I'll even fire up my old two burner, white-gas coleman!!

Finally, for those of you new to cool weather hammocking; if you feel the need to bring a tent as an emergency cold weather backup, don't be shy. I freely admit to bringing both my Hennessy and my solo tent on my first few hammocking canoe trips. We might tease you a little, but we'll be happy you came out.

Only two weeks away... Looking forward to meeting a lot of new faces and seeing some old ones!!

P.S. I know a couple of us are into DIY'ing and bushcraft skills. Maybe an impromptu whoopee splicing and/or charcloth, flint & steel fire-lighting session could be fun. Anything but Twister! If anyone has any ideas, please chime up.

Years ago I saw a great lumberjack kettle boil contest down at Harbourfront in Toronto. Serveral teams of two guys were given a small log, an axe, a knife and some matches. It was a race to get a small can of soapy water boiling enough to have the suds spill over the top. A definite good time! We should make it an EGL tradition!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnlAcsAQYLfq0RQnb1ZSrx6OFQPJEXH DV4lSJtP9EzfpI3Kw7_

Chard.

Bubba
11-07-2012, 13:19
Not to be daunted, if the weather looks "moist", let's plan to bring a couple of extra tarps and ropes and we'll put up a pavillion.

We'll make sure to do it right the first time unlike our last hang:D

va3rbz
11-07-2012, 13:23
My new 0 degree Burrow just arrived an hour ago so I can't wait to test it out!

I can bring a coleman 2 burner propane stove if needed btw.

Chard
11-07-2012, 13:33
We'll make sure to do it right the first time unlike our last hang:D

To be fair, the first pitch was up to the task, it's just that I had been stupidly sitting in the splash zone. Ultimately, we had half a dozen guys with too much idle time and too much rope for their own good. It's a hammocker thing.

[o]TTeR
11-07-2012, 13:38
We'll likely need to book 3 sites. If it's ok, maybe Dant8ro, [o]TTer and myself can take care of that end.

I'm going to be onsite early Friday morning, I will book #134 for Friday and Saturday night :shades:

Chard
11-07-2012, 13:41
TTeR;853914']I'm going to be onsite early Friday morning, I will book #134 for Friday and Saturday night :shades:

I was likely going to show up Friday after work.

Markusforreal
11-07-2012, 17:53
I may be able to make this, I have a question for Bubba. What night ru thinking of attending, and would you want to carpool?, as I live about 10 minutes from you (hammock forums map)

Assuming of course, you all will have me? (AKA... Can I come???)

Bubba
11-08-2012, 00:53
I may be able to make this, I have a question for Bubba. What night ru thinking of attending, and would you want to carpool?, as I live about 10 minutes from you (hammock forums map)

Assuming of course, you all will have me? (AKA... Can I come???)

Of course you are welcome.
Unfortunately I am not going back to London on Sunday, going to visit family.

Jodster
11-08-2012, 08:26
Number of nights : Saturday for sure, possible for Friday.
Preferred venue: Valens
Bringing: Whatever fits in the car.

Markusforreal
11-08-2012, 08:44
Of course you are welcome.
Unfortunately I am not going back to London on Sunday, going to visit family.

OK, maybe next time. Can't confirm if I can make it yet anyways.

Thanks
Mark

hankster747
11-08-2012, 09:08
I'm in guys, I just got new top and under quilt.

BackPackHiker
11-08-2012, 11:53
Ok I am going to check with my friends and see if someone will go with me, so I might be in. I HOPE SO.

keg
11-09-2012, 17:19
Ok I am going to check with my friends and see if someone will go with me, so I might be in. I HOPE SO.

Good idea to bring a friend. You can't trust these guys /:scared:

Cruiser51
11-10-2012, 10:50
This will be interesting for me, total gear check, so Valens ....

Cruiser51
11-10-2012, 11:02
I have to fight the entire width of Toronto (may be the bigger adventure), will likely be there later on Friday, unless I book half a vacation day. If you have free time Otter, a new carved dish set would be nice .... and Dan bafter last trip, Ryvr almost figured out you been poking holes in his tarp .... advise ceasing and desisting this trip, he has a mean streak and payback is not pretty (jking).

dant8ro
11-10-2012, 15:40
Hmmmm,

I think that I may know the identity of the masked man!

My friend, do you glow in the dark?

Dan. :D

Cruiser51
11-10-2012, 21:13
Danno ..... there is nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you are looking for

BackPackHiker
11-12-2012, 12:53
I cant make it again! I need to get out to one of these things!

Chard
11-12-2012, 13:05
I cant make it again! I need to get out to one of these things!

That's too bad BPH...

You're always welcome to just come out, say hi and grill up some food. Failing that, EGL hangs seem to happen once every few months so I'm sure we'll get to meet you before long.

Here's to hoping for yet another change of plans!!!

Chenvre
11-13-2012, 12:15
Hey Gents!

I've been monitoring this thread, and pending a time off request at work, and transportation arrangement, I should be able to stop by.

For those here who are Valens veterans, what type of campsites do they offer? Since I read they have heated facilities, I wouldn't expect to be backcountry hiking of any sorts. Can I drive right up to the site, or expect a small hike in?

Hope to see you guys there!

Bubba
11-13-2012, 12:22
Hey Gents!

I've been monitoring this thread, and pending a time off request at work, and transportation arrangement, I should be able to stop by.

For those here who are Valens veterans, what type of campsites do they offer? Since I read they have heated facilities, I wouldn't expect to be backcountry hiking of any sorts. Can I drive right up to the site, or expect a small hike in?

Hope to see you guys there!

Hey dude, great that you are coming out. Valens is just car camping so no need for any backpacking gear. You park right by the site however with the number of people coming, people may have to park at adjacent sites. Once we get a firm number, we can probably figure out the parking arrangements. Three sites are going to be booked I believe so there is parking or 6 cars right there. IIRC there are a few spots by the washrooms that can be used.

BrknArrow
11-14-2012, 07:27
I just read the part about Valens being a family campground and therefore a COMPLETE ALCOHOL BAN ... and I am still IN!

Not that I am in disagreement with that policy -- I have spent my share of sleepless nights next to a site of yahoos and it is why I prefer backcountry camping. But I do like to have a wee sip of single malt when sitting around the fire ...

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 24th!

Cheers.

Bubba
11-14-2012, 08:09
Not a lot of enforcement there from what I've seen in the past. Not that I'd want to break any rules but a few drinks in moderation shouldn't be a problem. I think they just want to avoid rowdiness that may disturb other campers.

Typically there is no one close to us and park staff may drive by once or twice.
I'm not a drinker but I think if someone wants to bring scotch or beer to enjoy by the fire that should be ok.

What does everyone else think?

BrknArrow
11-14-2012, 08:42
Not that I'd want to break any rules but a few drinks in moderation shouldn't be a problem. I think they just want to avoid rowdiness that may disturb other campers.

Discretion goes a long way -- so does moderation. And besides, my rowdy days are long behind me; the older you get, the earlier you seem to turn into a pumpkin. Nevermind any alcohol -- if I stay up past my bedtime, it takes me a week to recover! :lol:

Chard
11-14-2012, 12:28
Discretion goes a long way -- so does moderation. And besides, my rowdy days are long behind me; the older you get, the earlier you seem to turn into a pumpkin. Nevermind any alcohol -- if I stay up past my bedtime, it takes me a week to recover! :lol:

Hey guys.

It's true: Valens is a "dry" campground and that's probably for the best; it certainly cuts down on high-season rowdiness. From the couple of times I've been there though, the park staff have come around once or twice during the day to check permits, although I suspect they just want to chat about the camping sensation that is hammocking. Either way, they've always been very gracious hosts. In this, as in everything, discretion is the better part of valour.

fred1diver
11-14-2012, 16:43
I'm still trying to see if I can make it or not
chenvre if I do go we could split gas and take my car
seing as were close by :cool:
FRED

va3rbz
11-14-2012, 23:22
Is it time yet??? I have this new TQ and UQ staring at me and I can't wait to try it out.
Oh well, 1 more weekend to go!

Cedar328
11-15-2012, 16:20
Sleeping in the backyard tonight to see if my gear is up to the task.... Have to be up for work at 5:30 so it will be a chilly run into the house in the morning which will also simulate the early morning run to the heated washrooms :lol:

Can't wait to get out there.

Update on attendance : Only one possible "guest" now and he is still undecided, regardless, it will be one vehicle and one or two people. Still trying to swing Friday night...

Cheers

Cedar.

sturgeon
11-15-2012, 17:46
I don't have quite enough insulation for an overnight, but I will likely drop by on
Saturday afternoon to say hello and see the various rigs.

keg
11-15-2012, 18:43
I don't have quite enough insulation for an overnight, but I will likely drop by on
Saturday afternoon to say hello and see the various rigs.

Odds are there will be enough odds and ends to lend for you to warm up to the end.

blackd
11-15-2012, 23:43
Sounds like a great time, keep us posted on a final destination and maybe I'll get to try out some new gear sooner than i thought!

Chard
11-16-2012, 00:54
Now that we're
Sounds like a great time, keep us posted on a final destination and maybe I'll get to try out some new gear sooner than i thought!

Valens Conservation Area -Nov 23 & 24. Should be fun. Looks like we're going to have quite a good turnout and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Not that matters too much, most of us are canoers and hikers and are pretty used to dealing with whatever Mother Nature throws our way. Call it an EGL tradition!

Now that we're about a week out, can we get a final role call?

dant8ro
11-16-2012, 10:17
Present! or will be....

:D

va3rbz
11-16-2012, 12:58
I'll be attending Saturday night.

Cruiser51
11-16-2012, 15:14
Affirmative 1 - 2 - 1 ....

BrknArrow
11-16-2012, 16:44
I will be there for Saturday night -- plan to be joined by a bottle of single malt. Did somebody say that they were going to be bringing in some actual firewood? To be burned as discreetly as my whisky is sipped, of course ... :laugh:

Bubba
11-16-2012, 22:20
I will be there for Saturday night -- plan to be joined by a bottle of single malt. Did somebody say that they were going to be bringing in some actual firewood? To be burned as discreetly as my whisky is sipped, of course ... :laugh:

Oh there will be fire.

shingaling
11-17-2012, 07:22
Yup: 1-1-1. I'll see what 'firewood' I can scrounge from the deadfall in my back yard.

keg
11-17-2012, 13:10

Now that we're about a week out, can we get a final role call?

Sir yes sir. Saturday for sure. Friday 50/50.

Crash
11-17-2012, 16:27
I got up there last Jan. for the hang. Its a great place for winter hanging - testing new equipment with heated bathroom & shower close by. If anyone is debating going up......it was worth the drive - the Canadians are the best. Eh!

Maybe not this time but Jan. looks very promising.

Jodster
11-18-2012, 11:13
I'm in for Sat night .... not 100% sure about Fri night
I may also have my brother with me on Sat night

Is that definitive enough?

Bubba
11-18-2012, 12:58
I got up there last Jan. for the hang. Its a great place for winter hanging - testing new equipment with heated bathroom & shower close by. If anyone is debating going up......it was worth the drive - the Canadians are the best. Eh!

Too bad you can't make it. I had to cancel last minute on the last hang and didn't get to meet you. Maybe in the New Year.

Jayson
11-18-2012, 15:19
Not gonna make this one. Have fun guys! Crash...hope to see you again.

Chard
11-18-2012, 15:44

Not gonna make this one. Have fun guys! Crash...hope to see you again.

That's too bad guys. It would'a been nice seeing you again. Maybe next time. The Winter Hang's likely just around the corner.

Bubba
11-18-2012, 21:12
Friday and Saturday Nights
chard
[o]TTer
Bubba
dant8tro
Cruiser51
L84toff and twistedwhiskers
hankster747
ryvr
ryvr's father in-law
odd duck

Friday Night
shingaling

Saturday Night
Cedar328 (plus one guest)
va3rbz
keg (Friday 50/50)
BrknArrow (joined by a bottle of single malt)
Mongrel
Brantwing
jodster (may have brother coming)

Chard
11-18-2012, 21:25
Nice... Thanks Bubba.

Looks like a nice turnout. Should be fun.

shingaling
11-18-2012, 21:34
Oops - I'll be staying over Friday night, not Saturday.

L84toff
11-18-2012, 21:35
Number of attendees: 2
Number of nights : Fri for sure - poss Sat
Preferrred venue: no preference but seems to be settled anyway
Bringing: the Mrs (twistedwhiskers) and anything else that is needed. Have a couple extra tadpoles if extra tarps are required by anyone, just let me know.

Can come out earlier on Fri as we are both off as of Thu night.

Also how far from the parking lot to the site? Wondering if this is a grab and carry or backpack it in gear wise?

Bubba
11-18-2012, 21:39
Number of attendees: 2
Number of nights : Fri for sure - poss Sat
Preferrred venue: no preference but seems to be settled anyway
Bringing: the Mrs (twistedwhiskers) and anything else that is needed. Have a couple extra tadpoles if extra tarps are required by anyone, just let me know.

Can come out earlier on Fri as we are both off as of Thu night.

Also how far from the parking lot to the site? Wondering if this is a grab and carry or backpack it in gear wise?

Parking is right beside the campsites.

L84toff
11-18-2012, 21:43
Parking is right beside the campsites.

Eggcellent! Thank you fine sir.

Bubba
11-18-2012, 21:45
Eggcellent! Thank you fine sir.

No problem.

Roll call (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=861738&postcount=98) in post 98 updated.

Cedar328
11-18-2012, 22:01
2 people
1 vehicle
Just Saturday night (arriving Sat before lunch)

Cheers

Cedar

Chard
11-20-2012, 13:18
I'm in guys, I just got new top and under quilt.

Hey Hankster,

If you're coming down, what's the chances of you bringing some of those awesome pork chops? Those little piggies were amazing!!!!

L84toff
11-20-2012, 14:01
And it seems our plans for Sat afternoon have been cancelled so we are both in for Sat night as well.

hankster747
11-20-2012, 17:53
I'm in!
1 person
1 car
2 night
How do we pay, at the gate or on site?

Chard
11-20-2012, 18:04
I'm in!
1 person
1 car
2 night
How do we pay, at the gate or on site?

The last time, everyone simply paid at the gate on the way in. It's right off the main road.

[o]TTeR
11-20-2012, 18:51
The last time, everyone simply paid at the gate on the way in. It's right off the main road.

Actually that was Rattlesnake, we worked out a flat rate deal with them last year. At Valens it's $35 per night for the site + $10 for each additional car. Since I'm going in for an early morning paddle (8am) I will cover site fees for #134 for Friday & Saturday, please pay the additonal car fee at the gate on the way in. There's a 9 person per site limit, if we have more then 10 people on Friday night, we'll drive back out to the gate and get a second site when we get the firewood.

Chard
11-20-2012, 19:05
TTeR;863336']Actually that was Rattlesnake, we worked out a flat rate deal with them last year. At Valens it's $35 per night for the site + $10 for each additional car....

Thanks (o)TTer. That's kind of what I meant. When I rolled in last time, I had to pay for an additional site on my own. Just tell the attendant that you're with the hammocking group and they'll likely know how many people we have on the books.

Getting psyched!!!=

quiet
11-20-2012, 21:21
It looks like I won't be able to make Friday night. I was hoping to rearrange things, but no go. I can make it for Saturday night though. :) I should arrive at Valens around early afternoon. Looking forward to it.

1 hanger
1 car
1 night

Bubba
11-21-2012, 07:27
Roll call (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=861738&postcount=98) in post 98 updated.

Jodster
11-21-2012, 09:36
I've just put my foot down and demanded that I go Friday night as well.....
That didn't work so I asked nicely....
I am in for Friday as well! Sorry Bubba .... looks like you are going to have to update the roll call again.

[o]TTeR
11-21-2012, 09:41
Hey Bubba, put Ryvr+1 and Odd Duck on for Friday night as well. We're over 9, Chard you might as well grab #135 on your way in?

Chard
11-21-2012, 10:05
TTeR;863717']Hey Bubba, put Ryvr+1 and Odd Duck on for Friday night as well. We're over 9, Chard you might as well grab #135 on your way in?

Will do! This hang's just been upgraded to shin-dig!!

Bubba
11-21-2012, 10:56
Shin-dig roll call (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=861738&postcount=98):D

Jodster
11-21-2012, 11:19
:blush:
Sorry fellas .... have to bail on Friday .... but I will be there for sure on Sat. I am thinking of bringing my canoe and doing a little fishing on Sat so I will be there shortly after breaky.

Wolvaroo
11-21-2012, 12:31
Couldn't get time off as my coworker beat me to it. Hopefully see some of you in Spring.

blackd
11-21-2012, 15:56
So has it been decided on valens? Im going to have to skip this trip as im going up to probably rattlesnake point the following weekend but it would be cool to know where you folks all ended up at. Also, does valens have any good areas to do rappeling?

[o]TTeR
11-21-2012, 16:02
So has it been decided on valens? Im going to have to skip this trip as im going up to probably rattlesnake point the following weekend but it would be cool to know where you folks all ended up at. Also, does valens have any good areas to do rappeling?

Valens is the final decision, unless Sites 133 to 135 are taken, thats where we'll likely be. Valens is flat terrain so no climbing/repelling opertunities there, Rattlesnake or Mt. Nemo are best for vertical adventures :shades:

Chard
11-21-2012, 16:06

Yeah. Valen's is ground zero for this hang.

Being off the escarpment as it is, there's no major rock formations in the area as far as I know.. the terrain's mainly low rolling hills. Nothing like the climbing at Rattlesnake. But in this, as in so many things, (o)TTer, as a rock climber himself, is our resident authority. He might know some hidden jems.

blackd
11-21-2012, 17:15
So noted! Thanks guys, i am definitely going to make the next one, looks like this group has a good time! And if anyone is up at rattlesnake point the weekend of the 30th and spot a hammock or two come on over and say hey :-)

blackd
11-21-2012, 17:19
Also noticed it looks like you crazy kids are in for a cold snap this weekend, I'm sure you know it though.

[o]TTeR
11-22-2012, 14:06
So noted! Thanks guys, i am definitely going to make the next one, looks like this group has a good time! And if anyone is up at rattlesnake point the weekend of the 30th and spot a hammock or two come on over and say hey :-)

The treeline behind site #17 at Rattlesnake is great for hammocks, lots of good hang spots in there!

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6413218209_883f1d7fcb_z.jpg

keg
11-22-2012, 18:52
I was 50/50 for Friday but I think I need to catch up on sleep so I'll see everyone Saturday.

Chard
11-22-2012, 19:27
I was 50/50 for Friday but I think I need to catch up on sleep so I'll see everyone Saturday.

That's too bad Keg, but we'll see you Saturday. I'm not planning on staying up too late Friday night myself. One look at me and you'll know that I really need to catch up on my own beauty sleep. Big time.

Jiblets
11-22-2012, 20:11
Hey guys, better late than never. I'm in for both nights. See you there.

Jiblets

va3rbz
11-22-2012, 20:26
Hi everyone

Starting to pack. Is there any need for me to bring:
Small axe
Small saw?

I know it's car camping essentially, but why pack it if it's going to stay in the car?

Chard
11-22-2012, 20:30
Hi everyone

Starting to pack. Is there any need for me to bring:
Small axe
Small saw?

I know it's car camping essentially, but why pack it if it's going to stay in the car?

Lol, if there was ever a time to bring out all the toys, it's at one of these drive-in hangs where you don't have worry about humping it all down a portage or along a trail.

Bring ' em all!

va3rbz
11-22-2012, 20:32
I was hoping to hear that ;) If anyone is interested, I'll be bringing a GB Small Forest Axe and a Trailblazer bucksaw!

Deep Thought
11-23-2012, 02:14
Did I count 18 people on that role call list??
I believe Jiblets posted attendance for both nights.
Can I make it an even 20?
I just got last minute approval to hang. I'm in for Saturday.
I will be leaving Toronto Saturday morning (flexible), leaving from 401@400 area, anyone on the way need a lift?

DT

Cedar328
11-23-2012, 02:15
Hello All,

I will be at Canadian Outdoor Equipment later this afternoon (Friday) doing a bit of shopping if anyone wants me to pick up anything just send me a PM and I will check when I am there.

Cheers

Cedar

Bubba
11-23-2012, 02:57
Friday and Saturday Nights
chard
[o]TTer
Bubba
dant8tro
Cruiser51
L84toff
twistedwhiskers
hankster747
ryvr
ryvr's father in-law
odd duck
jiblets
keg

Friday Night
shingaling

Saturday Night
Cedar328 (plus one guest)
va3rbz
BrknArrow (joined by a bottle of single malt)
Mongrel
Brantwing
jodster (may have brother coming)
Deep Thought

Jayson
11-23-2012, 03:21
Wow, looks like we are missing a good size group hang!! Have fun!

Chard
11-23-2012, 09:00
Can I make it an even 20?

For the man who single handedly braved the winter hurricane of 2011 and lived to tell the tale; you sir have a standing invite to any and all hangs!!!!

Bubba
11-23-2012, 11:05
For the man who single handedly braved the winter hurricane of 2011 and lived to tell the tale; you sir have a standing invite to any and all hangs!!!!

He might feel extremely cramped after having had the entire site to himself during that storm:). Of course if another tree falls nearby like it did back then, it may land on someone else!:eek:

Make sure to check your trees as best as possible everybody! Deep Thought was close to being clobbered by a widow maker.

blackd
11-23-2012, 12:45
TTeR;864658']The treeline behind site #17 at Rattlesnake is great for hammocks, lots of good hang spots in there!

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6413218209_883f1d7fcb_z.jpg

Great advice thankyou! Enjoy your weekend folks and be safe.

keg
11-23-2012, 12:49
Probably too late to make a difference but I figure I'll probably sleep better in the woods than at home so I'm heading up after work tonight.

Bubba
11-23-2012, 12:53
Shin-dig roll call (http://http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=864951&postcount=134)

L84toff
11-23-2012, 16:17
If anyone has their ears on...what site are we at?

Deep Thought
11-24-2012, 10:47
If anyone has their ears on...what site are we at?

I'm off to see site 134, but I'll talk to the gate attendant and add myself to whichever site isn't full. Can't wait!!

DT

Deep Thought
11-25-2012, 15:35
I hope everyone got home safe!!
I stayed back for a little while, ate some clementines and pulled out the horn and played some Christmas carols. Left around 1pm.

I had a great time hanging out with all of you.

Don't forget to post a link to your pictures.

DT

L84toff
11-25-2012, 16:00
I'm off to see site 134, but I'll talk to the gate attendant and add myself to whichever site isn't full. Can't wait!!

DT

Thanks, we were driving around inside the park and weren't sure where to go as the signs didn't point to 133-135 clearly (or maybe I missed them). We found it eventually. :)

[o]TTeR
11-25-2012, 19:18
I hope everyone got home safe!!
I stayed back for a little while, ate some clementines and pulled out the horn and played some Christmas carols. Left around 1pm.

I had a great time hanging out with all of you.

Don't forget to post a link to your pictures.

DT

Christmas Carols on the horn, I knew I should have stuck around? You’re a man of many surprises my friend, It was great hanging with you again!

As for some pics….here’s my Flickr set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgallagher123/sets/72157632101357592/). I will post some in the Trip report once someone kicks one off??

Chard
11-25-2012, 20:00
Hey guys...

What a great time! It was fantastic seeing so many new faces as well as the familar ones.

I think we managed to have 17 people turn out over the two nights we were out, many from the local area, some from further afield.

Weather wasn't too cold, just a little below freezing. Just enough to give us a chance to try out some new gear or ideas.

High points:

[o]TTers winter recliner
Ryvr's beautiful paddles
Jiblets Apple cake topped with flambeed banana and rum.
Bubba's sharpening clinic
Mongrel's winter overbag
Cedar's breakie from the hammock
First night blizzard
Birds eating out of the palm of your hand.
and finally heated washrooms and showers

Definitely looking forward to the next trip!

Jayson
11-25-2012, 21:32
Cant wait for the report. Sad we missed out!

L84toff
11-25-2012, 22:20
TTeR;866941']As for some pics….here’s my Flickr set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgallagher123/sets/72157632101357592/).

Awesome pics! It was very nice to meet everyone and hang out.

Lori was already talking about coming back to hang at Valens during the winter months. I think she likes how close the facilities are at those sites. ;)

blackd
11-26-2012, 07:49
Wow that really was a big group! Love the photos, im officially jealous.

Crash
11-28-2012, 08:41
I'm so sad I missed it. Any talk of January 's hang? Got my passport renewed. I have January off except 2 weekends but I may be able to take them off.
Going to Scotland for christmas so I'll be coming back with some single malt that needs a campfire!

Chard
11-28-2012, 08:52
Thanks for all of your support in making this hang so successful...

You can find the trip report thread here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63374).