PDA

View Full Version : Darien UL Hammock

PapaSmurf
10-22-2012, 13:28
Dream Hammock is proud to introduce the Darien UL Hammock.

What is a Darien Hammock?
Dream Hammock and Jungle Treks together designed and built the original Darien Hammock. Jungle Treks tested and continues to use the Darien Hammock in one of the wildest, most dangerous and most beautiful places left on our planet. The Darien Gap is over 10,000 acres of dense jungles, tortuous rivers, rugged mountains, and a vast marshy swamp that separates Panama from South America.

What is the Darien UL?
The Darien UL is currently the lightest integrated net hammock available anywhere and is a lighter weight model based on the Darien Tropical Hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/dream_hammock_ul_12_p02_small_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=18984&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=4211&cutoffdate=-1) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/dream_hammock_ul_12_p01_small_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=18985&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=4211&cutoffdate=-1) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/mahha_darien_ul1_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=18991&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=4211&cutoffdate=-1) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/mahha_darien_ul2_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=18992&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=4211&cutoffdate=-1)

The Specs
Size: 60" x 120"
Shape: Asym Right Lay (head left, feet right)
Body: Single layer 1.0oz ACU Digital Camo ripstop
Netting: .7oz Nanoseeum netting
Zipper: #3 coil, one side with double pull tabs and Green Dynaglide pulls
Ridgeline Organizer: .51oz Cuben Fiber
Ridgeline: Green, 2mm Dynaglide @ 100" long
Hammock Loops: 7/64 Amsteel connect to whoopie hooks
Suspension: Green, 2mm Dynaglide, 6ft, inverted whoopies with Dutchware Whoopie Hooks
Tree Straps: 48" Black polyester with Titanium Dutch clips
Stuff sack: Double ended,.51oz Cuben Fiber
Quilt Hooks: 4 aluminum Dutchware quilt hooks
Final weight in the stuff sack, ready to hang = 12.85oz.

What is the weight limit?
Although the fabric and suspension should be capable of handling 220-225 lbs, our recommended weight range is 200 lbs or under.

Will my hammock weigh 12.85oz?
The 12.85oz weight is before the change to whoopie hook suspension. Adding the whoopie hooks may bump it up slightly. The final weight may change slightly as the design develops. Also, since these hammocks are built one at a time, sometimes slight variations will determine the exact final weight. I will update the weights as soon as I can after finish a few.

Can I customize the Darien UL?
Sorry. No customization is available on this hammock.

When will the Darien UL be available?
You can place your order now. (http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#ecwid:category=2202578&mode=product&product=16320652)

What are the final specs of the Darien UL?
It's kinda up to you. I plan to make several Darien UL hammocks using the above specs. After these initial hammocks are complete, your feedback will be gathered and based on your suggestions, we will adjust final specs according to the feedback received. Please be aware that the specs may change from time to time as we continue to tweak this hammock based on your experiences out on the trail. If this is something you just can't live with, it might be better for you to wait until a future final version is released.

Gresh
10-22-2012, 13:31
Niiiiice.

Wish it would support more weight, but that's the price one pays for UL gear.

TRU
10-22-2012, 13:44
Nice hammock Papa Smurf!!

thegreatjesse
10-22-2012, 14:00
Wow! That weight is really impressive - and a great story behind it to boot! Some photos of the hammock in the Darien Gap would be awesome to see.

I'm not big on camo, but I'd love to see one made with a Momentum90 body!

dragon360
10-22-2012, 14:05
Now you seem to really be on to something there PapaSmurf! Talk about pushing it!

SwinginIt
10-22-2012, 14:58
Just ordered mine! Woo hoo! I love that it comes with all the Dutchware, especially the quilt hooks. Nice touch Papa Smurf. Can't wait to get that thing in the trees!

mountainhanger
10-22-2012, 15:11
That's awesome sir smurf. When you come out with a ul for the heavyweights be sure to announce it loud n clear :)
Great job!

Rooster
10-22-2012, 15:15
Very nice, PapaSmurf.

Cali
10-22-2012, 15:22
PapaSmurf, That sure is a sweet hammock. :thumbup:

Carlos
10-22-2012, 16:12
A really nice looking hammock. One heck of a good encouragement to make it to a group hang and see the new stuff. Wish I could have made MAHHA to see it in person.

readyme
10-22-2012, 16:21
wow. that is one heck of a piece of work. nice job

specialk198305
10-22-2012, 18:34
Just ordered one. Can't wait to drop my 5 pound ENO setup. Only problem is now i'm not gonna be able to use my setup being heavy as an excuse to not hike.

Sidewinder
10-22-2012, 19:55
Please, please make a 132" version!

S

Callahan
10-22-2012, 23:55
Looks great PapaSmurf! Man, that's about half of what my current gathered end weighs!

Cheers! :D

Fish<><
10-23-2012, 07:09
Well done papasmurf, way to move the market towards dynaglide.

You could make a shorter and skinnier version, and use tulle for the netting and get the weight closer to 9oz if you wanted too... :)

pulsemod
10-23-2012, 07:47
Yea, another vote for a 132" version that could easily support 225 lbs.

PapaSmurf
10-23-2012, 07:54
You could make a shorter and skinnier version, and use tulle for the netting and get the weight closer to 9oz if you wanted too... :)

Yes, I could certainly make the Darien UL lighter at the expense of comfort and usability..... but I won't.
Making it smaller like say the Nano 7 would make it feel like.... well, a Nano 7.:)
Making the netting out of tulle would mean risking ripping the net off the zipper.

Fish<><
10-23-2012, 07:59
Very true on all counts. I was attempting comedy (not something I am known for) and my sentences didn't come across the way I planned... Note to self smileys don't always work. :)

PapaSmurf
10-23-2012, 08:26
Very true on all counts. I was attempting comedy (not something I am known for) and my sentences didn't come across the way I planned... Note to self smileys don't always work. :)

Oh I'm sorry Fish. I didn't catch the true tone of your post.
Yea, I'm really trying to offer weight savings without sacrificing comfort & features.
That's the plan anyway and I hope folks end up liking it.

Truth is, yea there's probably a few areas to shave a little more. That's why the Darien UL might have some minor spec changes after we get a few more out on the trail and see what the results are.

nsdemon
10-23-2012, 08:53
i weigh right at 220 and am adding this hammock to my list..while im in the process of saving up i plan on losing a few extra pounds.

FreeRange
10-23-2012, 09:05
I had an opportunity to closely examine (scrutinize) and hang in the Darien at MAHHA this past weekend. It truly is a sweet UL lay. At 5'10" and 170 it fits me perfectly. In fact, I believe the Darien is more comfortable (for me) than the other hammocks I own(ed). At 12.85 oz., my pack (and back) will appreciate the weight savings.

The 1.0 digital camo and complementary .7oz Nanoseeum netting looks fabulous and has just the right amount of stretch to get a flat, comfortable lay. The Dutch clip and inverted dynaglide whoopie suspension system will make it easy to hang and make adjustments. And no more cold shoulders with the Dutchware aluminum quilt hooks. What's not to like?

On top of that you get Papa Smurf's fanatic attention to construction detail and customer service that is second to none.

The Darien is the new standard in aesthetics, technology, simplicity and weight control. I placed my order and hope to get a video review out before the snow flies.

Everything you need, nothing you don't. Nice job Papa Smurf!

Cranky Bear
10-23-2012, 09:18
Got to try this hammock at Mahha, absolutely perfect for me and I am saving my pennies for one of these.

Montalaskan
10-23-2012, 11:10
Ah, to be <200 pounds...

shrineclown
10-23-2012, 13:58
Ah, to be <200 pounds...

eh, I would be back in high school, no thanks.

spaceweaseal
10-23-2012, 23:18
Wow!
Just, "Wow!"

spaceweaseal
10-24-2012, 09:17
I have the coolest wife.
I wanted one so she payed for it and told me it was a early Christmas present..
Normally she makes me use my pp money and my pp is looking thin so this was a shocker when she offered to pay for it.....

Cali
10-24-2012, 09:20
SpaceWeasel, you are one lucky fella. :thumbup:

spaceweaseal
10-24-2012, 10:33
SpaceWeasel, you are one lucky fella. :thumbup:

Yes I am...
She is getting a nice dinner and bottle of wine tonight....:D

doc
10-25-2012, 14:24
When it becomes available in 132in with a little added weight support I'll place my order!

BillnGA
10-29-2012, 14:20
Definately adding this to my wish list.

lazy river road
10-29-2012, 14:45
Man I want one of these badly but I gotta drop a few pounds first :)

Girotogo
10-29-2012, 14:48
Me too. Just too bad it doesn't come as a double layer 1.0 But I guess it would double the hammock weight.

MedicineMan
10-29-2012, 15:57
I bet the double layer is coming and won't double the weight.
If Papa does the second layer in a 'non supportive' weight fabric, say m50....this
might be for those who (like me) just want to trap a pad in place; not for more weight
rating. In this case the second trapping layer doesn't even need to be full length and might even be outside the main layer.

PapaSmurf
10-29-2012, 16:10
Well, I just finished a DL in nobul1 fabric.
11.45oz in the stuff sack, without suspension or straps. Matching 4.95oz WinterSock too. The proud owner might be sharing details soon.:D

lazy river road
10-29-2012, 16:25
11.45oz in the stuff sack, without suspension or straps. Matching 4.95oz WinterSock too. The proud owner might be sharing details soon.:D

:boggle:

WHAT!!!!! you just got me so excited!!!

Who's the proud owner?

How much does one cost?

And most importantly if I would like one would I be able to order one?

Two Tents
10-29-2012, 16:33
:boggle:

WHAT!!!!! you just got me so excited!!!

Who's the proud owner?

How much does one cost?

And most importantly if I would like one would I be able to order one?

Yea, what he said!

SwinginIt
10-29-2012, 21:24

4.95oz sock? That's awesome! I hope they do share the details on how that performs. I still want to make one out of that fabric. How was it to work with?

PapaSmurf
10-29-2012, 21:38
4.95oz sock? That's awesome! I hope they do share the details on how that performs. I still want to make one out of that fabric. How was it to work with?

Challenging!

SwinginIt
10-29-2012, 21:41
Challenging!

....Uh-oh. My thread injecting skills are sub par, and that's being ridiculously gracious. There's a reason I haven't posted any of my DIYs. Do you think it's a material best left to the skilled thread injectionists?

PapaSmurf
10-29-2012, 21:57
....Uh-oh. My thread injecting skills are sub par, and that's being ridiculously gracious. There's a reason I haven't posted any of my DIYs. Do you think it's a material best left to the skilled thread injectionists?

The fabric is very thin and has a soft hand. Sewing with or across the grain worked pretty good, but the long tapered arc on the front of the WinterSock was kinda painful.
Don't be afraid to give it a go. Just go slow and hold onto the fabric with all three hands.:)

Barlutti
10-29-2012, 22:18
just wondering PapaSmurf, the website shows the fabric choices as 1.6 oz and 2.25 oz. I thought I read it came in the 1.0 oz. Or do I just have no idea what I am talking about as is the normal state of things?

As normal, I was reading the wrong thing. Looking at the regular Darien, not the UL . nice to see more options popping up. :)

PapaSmurf
10-29-2012, 22:23
Nevermind, I see you found the regular Darien hammock.
I plan to add add'l fabrics as I get the opportunity. Just having trouble finding time to gather all the details.

mbnow
10-30-2012, 01:16
Well....

I was going to post earlier but i was having a margarita/ hurricane party!!!

I havent got it in my hands yet but I will be the future owner of the double layer nobul1 hammock. With matching winter sock.

This is the first time i've seen the weights posted for the hammock. Wow!!
Nice job Randy!!
Sorry if it was a little more demanding than usual .. just trying to keep you on your toes.:D

We shouldnt even tell them about the netless dbl layer nobul1 yet..... :lol: (with matching winter sock!)

Of course my goal is to lose about 10Lbs or more in the next month or 2 so i don't fall through it the first time i try it:scared:
Really looking forward to getting my hands on it. I will post some picks too.

Callahan
10-30-2012, 14:11
Well....

I havent got it in my hands yet but I will be the future owner of the double layer nobul1 hammock. With matching winter sock.

Nice job Randy!!
Sorry if it was a little more demanding than usual .. just trying to keep you on your toes.:D

We shouldnt even tell them about the netless dbl layer nobul1 yet..... :lol: (with matching winter sock!)

Of course my goal is to lose about 10Lbs or more in the next month or 2 so i don't fall through it the first time i try it:scared:

Congrats! Would be interested to see how it turns out!

Cheers

SwinginIt
10-30-2012, 20:29
The fabric is very thin and has a soft hand. Sewing with or across the grain worked pretty good, but the long tapered arc on the front of the WinterSock was kinda painful.
Don't be afraid to give it a go. Just go slow and hold onto the fabric with all three hands.:)

OK thanks for the heads up. If the new owner says it performs well I think I'll give it a go.

Well....

Nice job Randy!!

I'm really curious to know how well the sock performs.

PapaSmurf
11-03-2012, 17:32
I'm pleased to report that the first few Darien UL hammocks are finished and ready to ship.
These have the Whoopie Hook suspension, Dutchware Quilt Hangers and minor other little adjustments discussed at the recent MAHHA hang.
The final weight ended up at 13.40oz.

Big week of 9 Darien UL builds starting on Monday.

spaceweaseal
11-03-2012, 19:30
The weight on the UL's is just amazing..
I can't wait to get my hands on one..

PapaSmurf
11-12-2012, 10:02
Here's a quick peek at the Darien UL 11ft in Woodland Camo.
Final weight was 14.5oz.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/darienul8_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19132&c=2)

2Tall
11-12-2012, 11:39
Here's a quick peek at the Darien UL 11ft in Woodland Camo.
Final weight was 14.5oz.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/darienul8_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19132&c=2)

:eek: Thats a nice hammock.

hammock_monk
11-12-2012, 12:29
Wow! I'd really like to get one of these... Beautiful looking package and seems just right for me.

FreeRange
11-12-2012, 20:57
PapaSmurf just finished the inaugural batch of Darien ULs this past weekend. I'm looking forward to receiving mine later this week! A fabulous design with lots of great features built in.

spaceweaseal
11-12-2012, 22:16
PapaSmurf just finished the inaugural batch of Darien ULs this past weekend. I'm looking forward to receiving mine later this week! A fabulous design with lots of great features built in.

Randy does amazing work!
I slept in mine on sat and it is perfect.
I can't believe how light and how comfortable it is. Most plp thought it was just a lightweight tarp when I would hand it to them and was blown away by the hammock when I set it up.

PapaSmurf
11-12-2012, 22:20
I completely forgot about the Post Office being closed today. Everybody should have their shipping notices as of a few minutes ago.

hammock_monk
11-24-2012, 21:04
Okay, I returned my ENO DN to REI and am placing my Darien UL order right now! Gotta find that link...

Boom! Done. Now the waiting... In the meantime I'll be planning my next outing.

rngn
11-24-2012, 21:21
I ordered mine yesterday papasmurf said he is about 3 weeks behind

Brute1100
01-11-2013, 10:55
Can this be had in a head right feet left orientation???

PapaSmurf
01-11-2013, 11:04
Can this be had in a head right feet left orientation???

Left Lay Asym is available upon request.
Complete specs are here.
http://www.dream-hammock.com/DarienUL.html

Nels03
02-05-2013, 13:58
So maybe this is a stupid question, but being that this was designed as a jungle hammock, did anyone have problems with mosquitos biting through the single layer 1.0 fabric?

PapaSmurf
02-05-2013, 14:17
With any lightweight fabric like this, there certainly is a possibility of mosquito bites from below. I combat this by treating my gear with Permethrin and have never had a problem.
Of course, I can no longer be supported by a single layer of 1.0oz nylon. :(

I'm told that most hangers down in that region carry a sheet made of silk or other lightweight fabric. This sheet is used to cover up with as well as sleep on top of. I guess it also serves to keep the hammock clean of sweat and body oils in that hot, humid climate.

Sidewinder
02-05-2013, 15:43
Nice... Just ordered one. Can't wait.

S

Bosman
02-07-2013, 00:16
I would think a 2 layer version of nobul fabric would be sufficient. It's not exactly the same as a 1.0 or 1.1 but 2 layers gotta beef things up enough to make things stable.