PDA

View Full Version : Greenville, SC, Nov 10 & 11

MacEntyre
10-25-2012, 07:14
You might want to check out Table Rock State Park (http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/tablerock/introduction.aspx) or Paris Mountain State Park (http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/parismountain/introduction.aspx)...

I asked Junebugdawn for suggestions about where to hang when my day job takes me to Piedmont, SC. I can go anywhere within 40 miles or so, and would like to hang Friday and Sat nights, with good day hikes.

Anyone interested?

- MacEntyre

Catavarie
10-25-2012, 07:16
Interested? You betcha! Able? Unfortunately not. :(

Hope you have a good time. :D

MacEntyre
10-25-2012, 07:21
That's what Junebugdawn said... :(

Cali
10-25-2012, 07:32
I would be interested also, but I will be in Texas that weekend. Sorry Mac.

MacEntyre
10-25-2012, 08:20
...I will be in Texas that weekend.
Wish I were going to Texas then. Enjoy!

cwbybld
10-25-2012, 08:27
. :D

Goes for me as well. Already have a couple of trips lined up. Can't take another. Dang it :( But have a good time.

Resqsarge03
10-25-2012, 17:04
Hi Mac!
Paris Mountain State Park is just north of Greenville and is a nice for hanging. There is a good trail system there. Nothing remote though.
My favorite place to hang near Greenville is Jones Gap State Park. This is about 40 minutes north of Greenville in the Mountain Bridge Park adjacent to Caesar's Head. Wonderful creekside sites there and some awesome trails, some of them very challenging and remote.
I am off that weekend so I could probably be coerced into maybe coming out to play.....:shades:
Of course, I am sure my son will want to come "hang" with us

grannypat
10-25-2012, 18:01
Hi Mac!
Paris Mountain State Park is just north of Greenville and is a nice for hanging. There is a good trail system there. Nothing remote though.
My favorite place to hang near Greenville is Jones Gap State Park. This is about 40 minutes north of Greenville in the Mountain Bridge Park adjacent to Caesar's Head. Wonderful creekside sites there and some awesome trails, some of them very challenging and remote.
I am off that weekend so I could probably be coerced into maybe coming out to play.....:shades:

Jones Gap is nice. We always take visitors up there for picnics.

MacEntyre
10-25-2012, 18:06
My favorite place to hang near Greenville is Jones Gap State Park.

Jones Gap is nice. We always take visitors up there for picnics.

Jones Gap it is!

All are welcome! I wish I could bring Thing1.

Junebugdawn
10-25-2012, 21:46
Wish I could join y'all! Glad ya got someone to hang with. Jones Gap is beautiful...lots of trails.

carolinasbackpacker
10-25-2012, 22:00
Jones gap would get my vote as well or you could hit hwy 11 S to the chattooga

MacEntyre
10-26-2012, 07:22
I am off that weekend so ...
PM sent regarding sharing a ride, Sarge!

- MacEntyre

MacEntyre
10-28-2012, 17:09
Turns out Jones Gap may not be possible for everyone... stay tuned!

- MacEntyre

swampfox
10-28-2012, 20:43
Jones Gap would be close to the top of my list. If you can get site 6 or 7 on the office spur, they're close enough to the parking lot to carry extra gear... table, chair, stove, lantern, cooler, etc.

Here are a couple of trip reports from site #6. I have hung in three different places on site 6.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22441

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15453

Paris Mountain is in the Greenville city limits so it's a little closer than Jones Gap. You can hike about an hour to one of the five primitive sites on the North Lake Loop. Reservation required.
All have hang opportunities.

Here is a pic of my favorite, site #4.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/singintheblue/2012-03-09%20Paris%20Mountain/IMG_0696.jpg

The Chattooga River is the crown jewel of this area though. Multiple hanging opportunities for groups or singles. It'll be a two hour drive from Piedmont to the trailhead but you won't be disappointed.

I haven't seen anything in this thread that tells the date. Did I miss it?

swampfox

FireInMyBones
10-28-2012, 20:51
Somehow I missed this thread. I live like 5-10min from Paris Mountain and about 20min from Jones Gap.
If you are going to be in town tomorrow still, I'll be off work around 3:30pm if you want to go for a hike.
Be sure to check out downtown for a nice place to meander around.

MacEntyre
10-28-2012, 20:58
I haven't seen anything in this thread that tells the date. Did I miss it?

It's in the title... November 10 & 11.

Oops... well, it was in the title, but the title has been changed. [moderator miscommtn...]

The date is still Nov 10 & 11.

- MacEntyre

FireInMyBones
10-28-2012, 21:32
Well, since it's not this weekend, but in November, I'm free in the morning of the 10th and all of the 11th. Perhaps I would get to meet you again.

Resqsarge03
10-29-2012, 07:13
Ive ordered some new equipment that may allow to eliminate my dependence on electrical outlets while camping. It may arrive in time but it wont be light enough to tote very far. I may have to settle for daytime visiting only but I still want to meet up and chat at least.
-Sarge

ahhhgladius
10-29-2012, 07:56
mac' keep me posted. there is a GA hang that weekend possibly.

GvilleDave
10-29-2012, 11:25
Mac - I have been AWOL around here for a while but saw your post and would second the Jones Gap suggestion.

Although in a campground another option would be Devil's Fork SP on Lake Jocassee. Permanent walk in sites with plenty of hanging options, plus great views of the most beautiful lake anywhere around... Not as much hiking there at the park but if you like to fish you would have that also.

Since you mention Piedmont which is west of Greenville you would only be an hour from the Chattooga River and there are numerous great options there.

I keep track of this thread and if it looks like I can get free it would be great to get out and join you guys. I missed John's Rock this year so I need to get out and do some HF hanging...

FireInMyBones
10-29-2012, 15:43
One thing on camping in the State Parks, all camping on their property is restricted to established sites and cost money. You may have already known that. The Chatooga area is free to camp.

MacEntyre
10-30-2012, 20:06
I like free...

- MacEntyre, tighter than a crab's shell, and that's water tight!

floorman
11-02-2012, 16:41
My first solo hike and hang was on the foothills trail. The section along the Chattooga is really nice place to hang. It would get my vote. You never forget your first.:boggle:

MacEntyre
11-03-2012, 07:07
Can someone post a link to a Google map of the Chatooga area?

Where would we meet? Where would we hang?

It's time to decide where we will hang!

- MacEntyre

Resqsarge03
11-03-2012, 09:00
Here is your link to the Chattooga River area near Earls Ford.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chatooga+river&hl=en&ll=34.837759,-83.270531&spn=0.200916,0.307274&sll=34.729198,-84.273376&sspn=0.804715,1.229095&hnear=Chattooga+River&t=m&z=12

SkunkApe
11-03-2012, 10:01
Still accepting new hangers to come along?

FireInMyBones
11-03-2012, 21:05
Fixed it for you.

Here is your link to the Chattooga River area near Burrells Ford.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chatooga+river&hl=en&ll=34.837759,-83.270531&spn=0.200916,0.307274&sll=34.729198,-84.273376&sspn=0.804715,1.229095&hnear=Chattooga+River&t=m&z=12

swampfox
11-03-2012, 21:44
I'll be hiking in to Hilliard Falls on the FHT this weekend, but here is some info.

To get to Burrell's Ford

From Walhalla SC, go north 8.5 miles on Hwy 28 to SC 107. Go right on 107 for 8.9 miles to Burrell's Ford Road (FR 708gravel). Left on Burrell's Ford Road for 3 miles to Burrells Ford Campground parking area. Drive on past the parking lot for the campground and park at the bottom of the hill at the trailhead on the right. If you get to the river, you just passed it.

About 10 minutes north, (upriver) from the trailhead, there is a trail to the right that will take you to the Foothills Trail. Right here, by the river are at least 3 nice big separate camp sites.
I've camped here several times over the years. Here is a trip report.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32962

Another 30 minutes and you'll be at the bridge over the east fork of the Chattooga River. Before you cross the bridge, there are multiple sites and plenty of hanging opportunities.
This is typically where large groups camp because it's first come, first served and there is plenty of room.
Here is a trip report from Upstate SC Fall Hang Nov 11-13, 2011.
Most of these folks were at the bridge.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42211

Hope ya'll have a great weekend.

swampfox

MacEntyre
11-04-2012, 05:19
Still accepting new hangers to come along?

Of course!

- MacEntyre

SkunkApe
11-04-2012, 09:21
I am desperately looking to get out net weekend.

MacEntyre
11-04-2012, 10:42
I am desperately looking to get out net weekend.
If you don't mind coming all the way up here, then you will get out next weekend!

I will hang somewhere... just hoping that RescueSarge can do Chatooga... if so, then that's where we should hang.

This should be a car-camping base, with day hikes or an overnight into the backwoods.

- MacEntyre

SkunkApe
11-04-2012, 10:51
If you don't mind coming all the way up here, then you will get out next weekend!

I will hang somewhere... just hoping that RescueSarge can do Chatooga... if so, then that's where we should hang.

This should be a car-camping base, with day hikes or an overnight into the backwoods.

- MacEntyre

Cool, I will keep watching the thread.

MacEntyre
11-04-2012, 15:19
I think we should go ahead and call this a Chatooga hang.

I'll be driving a big truck, which I would rather not take to the woods. RescueSarge is willing to give me a ride, but he is not certain he will be able to stay both nights.

Can anyone give me a ride from Piedmont, SC, (near Greenville) on Friday and back on Sunday?

- MacEntyre

MacEntyre
11-07-2012, 20:00
I can be reached by phone at 336-491-3412 (text is preferred, but vm works!)

- MacEntyre

Resqsarge03
11-07-2012, 20:59
Well, my test of the deep cycle marine battery and inverter failed. The battery is old and may not have been conditioned properly. I am still going to try to get it to work, but there is not sufficient time to assure it will to a degree of confidence that I am willing to take on a trip and hang. I am going to have to sit this one out unfortunately. I will try to visit.
-Sarge

MacEntyre
11-08-2012, 19:17
To get to Burrell's Ford

From Walhalla SC, go north 8.5 miles on Hwy 28 to SC 107. Go right on 107 for 8.9 miles to Burrell's Ford Road (FR 708gravel). Left on Burrell's Ford Road for 3 miles to Burrells Ford Campground parking area. Drive on past the parking lot for the campground and park at the bottom of the hill at the trailhead on the right. If you get to the river, you just passed it.

Let's meet there.

About 10 minutes north, (upriver) from the trailhead, there is a trail to the right that will take you to the Foothills Trail. Right here, by the river are at least 3 nice big separate camp sites.
I've camped here several times over the years. Here is a trip report.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32962

Let's hang there.

Looks like I'll be able to get there in my big truck before dark on Friday evening.

Who else is coming?

- MacEntyre

FireInMyBones
11-08-2012, 20:45
Unfortunately not me. I've been called into work. I thought I might be able to swing in for a visit, but I'm not so sure now.

L.D. Cakes
11-08-2012, 22:47
You guys have fun. Too bad I didn't see this thread until now. The Chatooga is one of my fav rivers. Paddled it a few times, amazing whitewater. It would be fun to go back and explore the area instead of just the river.
Listen for those banjos! :eek::lol:

swampfox
11-13-2012, 07:00
Anyone gonna do a trip report??
Pictures or it didn't happen.:D

swampfox

MacEntyre
11-13-2012, 19:30
I just found a computer... still out of town.

Forgot my camera this trip, so it did not happen! ;)

What a beautiful place!

Floorman showed up and we burned 'white man' fires (heap bigger than indian fire) two nights in a row. Hiked to Ellicott Rock and visited Whitewater Falls. Had lunch in Clemson.

Thanks for joining me, Floorman!

- MacEntyre

floorman
11-13-2012, 20:10
I was just trying to figure out how to get the pictures off of my phone, when I saw MacEntyre's post on the home page. I'll work on it, but there is only have a few.

Had a really good trip, great weather, and pretty decent company:D

Mac I looked for opie saw, but it looks like they don't make them anymore. I found one at the hardware store. I'm now hooked on stocking a cord or two of wood for the mega camp fire.

Swampfox, I though you were going to be there. we will have to do it again when you can make it.

I'll get Chance on the phone thing, and maybe have some pics.

floorman
11-13-2012, 20:47
Ok I think I've done it. I didn't take many pic because I didn't think take them off my phone. So here they are.

swampfox
11-14-2012, 06:58
Swampfox, I though you were going to be there. we will have to do it again when you can make it.

I was up on the FHT this weekend. I hope to post my trip report tonight.

swampfox

chickenwing
11-14-2012, 16:22
It was good meeting MacEntyre and Floorman. You guys had a great weekend for a hang on the Chattooga. I hate that I couldn't stay longer. But hey, at least I was able to get out and about for a little while.

Theosus
11-14-2012, 22:46
Sounds like a great time. I was on call or I would have tried it out... Anyone doing anything the weekend of dec 1 or 15? Looking for adventure both those days.

FireInMyBones
11-14-2012, 22:51
I might be heading out on the FHT the weekend of the 15th for some big miles and testing my new DIY UQ.

floorman
11-15-2012, 06:04
It was good meeting MacEntyre and Floorman. You guys had a great weekend for a hang on the Chattooga. I hate that I couldn't stay longer. But hey, at least I was able to get out and about for a little while.

Chickenwing I didn't realize who you were when you and your wife stopped by. My son and I stop in to see you and Muskrat at the fall hang in 2011. It was dark and you left before we got back down your way. Good to see you again. We may have to plan a b-day hang one year, I see we 2 days apart.

chickenwing
11-16-2012, 09:10
Sounds like a plan. I am always looking for a reason to get out!

Chickenwing I didn't realize who you were when you and your wife stopped by. My son and I stop in to see you and Muskrat at the fall hang in 2011. It was dark and you left before we got back down your way. Good to see you again. We may have to plan a b-day hang one year, I see we 2 days apart.

MacEntyre
11-16-2012, 16:55
It was great meeting you and your wife, Chickenwing!

I'm sure you both would have enjoyed our fire, if you could have stayed.

- MacEntyre