PDA

View Full Version : Any weekend plans?

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 10:42
I'm headed out to South Mountains State Park (http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/somo/main.php), NC for an overnighter Saturday night. It's supposed to get down to 24F at night, which for some of you is NOT COLD. It is for me though. I'll be using a hammock sock (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=28513#post28513), my very warm UQ (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=47590#post47590), and my new topquilt (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=74880#post74880) (an underquilt made for Tobit by mikeinflaz that I'm using as a top).

There's a backcountry site very near (maybe up above, haven't seen it) the large 80 ft. waterfall at the Park. I'm looking forward to spending some time exploring there.

Maybe I'll try my hand at some video too while I'm there -- it seems to be the next big thing ;). It wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as say, Shug's or anything unless I fell over the waterfall while filming or somesuch...

Anyone else headed out this weekend?

Mustardman
11-20-2008, 10:47
I'll be headed to Soddy Daisy, TN to do some rock climbing, but haven't decided whether to make it a day trip or an overnighter. Overnighters tend to be tough sometimes, as most of the good climbing areas I frequent don't allow dogs, so that means getting someone to watch them while I'm away.

If my girlfriend's Blackbird was here, she would absolutely insist that we camp out, but since it hasn't arrived yet I think we're more likely to make it a day trip. 5-6 hours on the road for around 7 or 8 total hours of climbing - a good way to spend your Sunday!

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 10:51
I'll be headed to Soddy Daisy, TN to do some rock climbing, but haven't decided whether to make it a day trip or an overnighter. Overnighters tend to be tough sometimes, as most of the good climbing areas I frequent don't allow dogs, so that means getting someone to watch them while I'm away.

Sounds fun. Got a good link to Soddy Daisy? I'd like to see how close it is to me.

Mustardman
11-20-2008, 11:01
Soddy Daisy is just outside Chattanooga. Here's a site with some pictures of the rock formations and type of climbing done there

http://www.asubtlesqueeze.com/littlerockcity

There is roped climbing to be had in the soddy daisy area, but I'll be doing a type of climbing called bouldering, which is climbing low boulders (say, 20 feet tall or less) without ropes, just using foam pads and spotters for protection.

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 11:06
Cool. Thank you. :)

Mrprez
11-20-2008, 11:13
Sadly, I am painting the house....:-(

JayS
11-20-2008, 11:18
Too many things happening at home to get away (including 14 yr old daughter in the finals of inter-county soccer and I'm assistant coach!) but... I plan to hang in the backyard one night. I'm going to use my daughter's setup for the cold (expected to go to low 20s with light snow) - a Skeeter Beater turned over so the bugnet holds a Jardine alpine quilt as underquilt. Topquilt will be a DIY down quilt I made earlier this year.

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 11:22
Yep, there are a lot of things I probably should be doing this weekend, but you can't do much constructively when you've gone plumb crazy, and so I thought it would be best to hit the woods and regain some sanity. (Besides, there wasn't a WHOLE lot of sanity there to begin with). :jj:

Iafte
11-20-2008, 11:31
Sadly, I am painting the house....:-(

I'm in the same boat. Have to get a few rooms done before Turkey day.

Mrprez
11-20-2008, 11:52
I'm in the same boat. Have to get a few rooms done before Turkey day.

I'm painting the outside, plus deferred maintenance from about 5 years ago! :thumbdown:

HappyCamper
11-20-2008, 11:57
NCPatrick,

I was headed out to my backyard to do some 24 degree testing, but got a call from a college student who is planning to do the AT in 2009. He's going to the Shennies during Thanksgiving break to backpack with his dad. He wants to try a hammock to see if he wants one for the AT. So my gear will be going out this weekend, but without me. :) But I'm excited to see if Chance09 will end up using a hammock for his AT hike.

I've also given him info on the Mt. Rogers Jan. hang. Hope he goes to learn from everyone there and to see all of the different types of gear.

Iafte
11-20-2008, 12:06
I'm painting the outside, plus deferred maintenance from about 5 years ago! :thumbdown:

I wish it was the outside. Then I could say it's too cold and the paint would have to wait. :laugh:

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 12:08
NCPatrick,

I was headed out to my backyard to do some 24 degree testing, but got a call from a college student who is planning to do the AT in 2009. He's going to the Shennies during Thanksgiving break to backpack with his dad. He wants to try a hammock to see if he wants one for the AT. So my gear will be going out this weekend, but without me. :) But I'm excited to see if Chance09 will end up using a hammock for his AT hike.

I've also given him info on the Mt. Rogers Jan. hang. Hope he goes to learn from everyone there and to see all of the different types of gear.

Did you give him a tour of how to set everything up? I've lent equipment out to people who refused to take the tour, only to have them return it to me unused because they couldn't figure it all out.

That's great though. Hope we see Chance09 at Mt. Rogers...

fin
11-20-2008, 12:18
Did you give him a tour of how to set everything up? I've lent equipment out to people who refused to take the tour, only to have them return it to me unused because they couldn't figure it all out.

That's great though. Hope we see Chance09 at Mt. Rogers...

I leant out my SB Pro to my buddy, who refused the tour or instructions on how to enter hammocks with bugnets. His son decided he was going to lay in it, and when he sat down he flipped over so the bugnet was the only thing holding him in. :scared: Not for very long, though. The bug net ripped the entire length of the hammock. I guess they couldn't figure out how to get him loose from the stretchy bugnetting, so he just put his foot through it to get some footing, so he could roll out of the hammock. I wish he would have been taping that.:laugh: Needless to say, I now have a SB Pro minus the bug net.:crying

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 12:21
Whooo! Pretty brutal. I don't think I'd be lending any more stuff to that guy. Not without forcing him to sit and listen to the tour.

fin
11-20-2008, 13:23
Whooo! Pretty brutal. I don't think I'd be lending any more stuff to that guy. Not without forcing him to sit and listen to the tour.

Yeah, the lesson for the day is "make sure the people you are lending equipment to respect your equipment as much as you do, and are willing to listen to your suggestions."

Or, alternatively: "Kick your friends in the a** if they won't take the tour, and refuse to lend equipment to them." Or at least get a deposit. :rolleyes:

DougTheElder
11-20-2008, 13:29
Yep, there are a lot of things I probably should be doing this weekend, but you can't do much constructively when you've gone plumb crazy, and so I thought it would be best to hit the woods and regain some sanity. (Besides, there wasn't a WHOLE lot of sanity there to begin with). :jj:

Say it ain't so, NCP...There are those among us that look upon you as a rock of stability.....LOL:lol::lol::lol:

HappyCamper
11-20-2008, 13:31
Actually he came to take the tour a few weeks ago. That's when I had the original HH line on it. He layed down and the line snapped. I'm giving him brownie points on being willing to give it another try. Yes, I'm giving the tour again tonight with the new webbing and cinch buckles that I used to replace the HH line. So it will actually be easier for him in cold weather.

I lent him a tent last month and he brought it back cleaner than it went out. So I'm hoping same happens this time. He's given me no reason not to lend yet. :)

Still I am a bit nervous about lending out "my baby." Heck, who cares about a tent!

fin
11-20-2008, 13:40
I lent him a tent last month and he brought it back cleaner than it went out. So I'm hoping same happens this time. He's given me no reason not to lend yet. :)

Still I am a bit nervous about lending out "my baby." Heck, who cares about a tent!

That's a good friend. :D

This same buddy wanted to borrow my brand new Clark NA, right after I bought it. I balked at that, and man am I glad! The Clark costs just a little more $$$ than the SB Pro.:eek: He has actually gone full bore back to tent camping, big canvas outfitter tents with outrigger canvas vestibules (I helped him build,) despite my prodding to go leaner and lighter. Oh well, more trees for me!

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 13:40
Say it ain't so, NCP...There are those among us that look upon you as a rock of stability.....LOL:lol::lol::lol:

Scary. :jj:

Outer Island
11-20-2008, 14:32
Heading out Sunday for my first overnite Hanging! Gonna paddle my Sea Kayak out to Cumberland Is, Ga. Sunday mornin, paddle back Monday afternoon.

NCPatrick
11-20-2008, 14:47
Man I'm jealous. Beautiful place.

canoebie
11-20-2008, 15:03
Heading out Sunday for my first overnite Hanging! Gonna paddle my Sea Kayak out to Cumberland Is, Ga. Sunday mornin, paddle back Monday afternoon.

I am sooo jealous, we are sposed to have 6-12 inches of snow by tomorrow PM. Warm sun sounds fantastic. Hanging makes it heavenly.

te-wa
11-20-2008, 16:19
I am sooo jealous, we are sposed to have 6-12 inches of snow by tomorrow PM. Warm sun sounds fantastic. Hanging makes it heavenly.

well then I bet you'd like this: Im going to hang with a group of friends in the Superstition mountains. Camp will be around 4500' elevation.
forecast for Saturday 77 high, 55 low
lovin it :boggle:

Roadtorque
11-20-2008, 16:42
Headed out for an overnighter tomorrow night to take the scouts out. We built kayaks and have a few done so we are going to a nearby lake to spend the night and let them paddle. To bad i dont think there will be any trees to hang from so I will be going to the ground :(

Mustardman
11-20-2008, 17:06
What technique did you use for your kayak building? I've thought about getting my own boat, but they are dang expensive. I like the idea of a DIY project, and I'm a halfway decent woodworker.

Outer Island
11-20-2008, 19:54
I've built eleven wooden kayaks, so far.
check out kayakforum.com for tons of info.

Splinter
11-20-2008, 22:17

I'm jealous! I love Cumberland! The weather should be REAL nice this weekend. I'm doing family pics...the Christmas present you can give the in-laws and can't go wrong with. :scared:

Roadtorque
11-20-2008, 23:08
What technique did you use for your kayak building? I've thought about getting my own boat, but they are dang expensive. I like the idea of a DIY project, and I'm a halfway decent woodworker.

We got our hands on a kayak form which consisted of two half (top and bottom). Basically you wax the form, put down this paint like stuff (cant recall the name) and then fiberglass it. You take the fiberglass out of the form when it dries glue and clamp the two halfs together. Fiberglass the halfs together from the inside. Put foam in it, a seat and your done. They are small whitewater kayaks, each took us about 20 hours and about 300 bucks. Be prepared for a big mess and a lot of stink. Honestly I would just buy a kayak unless you are really determined to make them. Its a good experience and all but a lot of work. If you want more instructions let me know and I will see if I can find some. We just learned it by watching, doing and experimenting.

TDunc
11-21-2008, 06:25
NC, would you mind possibly a family joining you. Could be just two of us might be four of us. We were talking about somewhere close either SM or Morrow Mtn but have not made the final decision yet.

My son and I did the snow and cold up at Overmtn shelter last weekend so 24 is not so bad.

If you are talking about the waterfall that is real close to the parking, there is a camping spot about a 1/4 mile walk form there. Cool place. right beside the stream...

Ramblinrev
11-21-2008, 06:53
somewhere I have plans for yaks made out of fabric and plywood. I have never made one but I got the plans from a youth group that did a lot of the,. If you are interested give me a PM and I'll hunt the plans up.

NCPatrick
11-21-2008, 07:57
NC, would you mind possibly a family joining you. Could be just two of us might be four of us. We were talking about somewhere close either SM or Morrow Mtn but have not made the final decision yet.

My son and I did the snow and cold up at Overmtn shelter last weekend so 24 is not so bad.

If you are talking about the waterfall that is real close to the parking, there is a camping spot about a 1/4 mile walk form there. Cool place. right beside the stream...

Sure, I'm headed up as soon as I can get started, but not too early, tomorrow (I'm trying to finish a hammock sock before I go).

I'm planning to set up at the Upper Falls Trail Campsites (backcountry sites), and I think rstms was planning to meet me there (possibly). You are welcome to meet us there. I'm not sure how far it is from the parking lot/ranger station, but these sites are up above the waterfall a bit, from what I gather. It's not very far. We may be talking about the same place.

fin
11-21-2008, 08:31
Opening weekend of Deer Season here in WI. Not a weekend to be in the woods if you aren't toting a gun and wearing blaze orange! I used to hunt and had many trophies hanging on the wall, but now I just take my niece out as her hunting guide. :shades: I could go on a political and sociological rant here about why I no longer hunt, but it just isn't for me anymore. More fun to help others.

canoebie
11-21-2008, 13:00
Opening weekend of Deer Season here in WI. Not a weekend to be in the woods if you aren't toting a gun and wearing blaze orange! I used to hunt and had many trophies hanging on the wall, but now I just take my niece out as her hunting guide. :shades: I could go on a political and sociological rant here about why I no longer hunt, but it just isn't for me anymore. More fun to help others.

I am thinking of hanging on my front porch tonight. Low about 9 degrees. Want to see what the challenges will be with my waterbed just feet away!!!

FF, sometime I would like to hear your rant. I used to hunt, got away from it, thinking about getting back into it. Leaning more toward using a bow. I am attracted to that free range meat in my freezer. Yet, part of my soul isn't sure about the killing, field dressing, etc. I have butchered numerous farm critters in my life, it has just been a lot of years.

NCPatrick
11-21-2008, 13:02
I've often thought it would be fun to go hunting with a paintball gun... that way you get all of the fun with no body to deal with afterwards. But that's probably just a strange idea.

fin
11-21-2008, 14:33
I am thinking of hanging on my front porch tonight. Low about 9 degrees. Want to see what the challenges will be with my waterbed just feet away!!!

FF, sometime I would like to hear your rant. I used to hunt, got away from it, thinking about getting back into it. Leaning more toward using a bow. I am attracted to that free range meat in my freezer. Yet, part of my soul isn't sure about the killing, field dressing, etc. I have butchered numerous farm critters in my life, it has just been a lot of years.

For now, it is mostly ethical reasons - not about hunting and gathering - I have no issues with supplying free range food for the family, or killing and butchering - heck, I still help my niece with that. The killing lust or thrill of the hunt or quest for trophy or whatever you want to call it has just left me. I love the outdoors, tracking and stalking, the feel of the woods when you are all alone in the middle of nowhere - I just would rather carry a camera now, or spend my time in the woods when the Yahoos aren't armed.:scared: Some of the Yahoos that go out just for trophies or for a drinking/debauchery weekend, and don't respect the land or the animals that they are taking off this great wild earth - it makes me sad. It's usually a minority that ruins it for the majority, and that's part of what it is for me - the idiots have ruined my appreciation and enjoyment, and I don't want any association with that mentality, even inferred. The termination of another life spark is a very spiritual, deep thing for me; and while I will do it, it is only done with great reverence and in need - not for sport. My .02.

fin
11-21-2008, 14:34
I've often thought it would be fun to go hunting with a paintball gun... that way you get all of the fun with no body to deal with afterwards. But that's probably just a strange idea.

I'd be down with that!:D

canoebie
11-21-2008, 18:41
My son came home from college and talked about a presentation that Ted Nugent, the Motor City Mad Man did and how confused he was trying to reconcile the killing and the reverence. I too have some difficulty with that. To make it even more complex, I was vegan for six years, no so much because of an ethical objection to eating meat because of the killing, but for environmental reasons. I think we would all do the planet a favor if we ate vegan one day a week.

Thanks for sharing. I do believe it is important that omnivores experience the death process, and butcher or dress at least one animal in a lifetime just to know what occurs in order for us to eat meat. I too much prefer to shoot with a lens than a gun. Well, maybe I will have to breakdown and buy a side of organic beef from Rosedale Farms just north of us. Hmmmm.

Meanwhile, they are calling for a low of 7 here tonight. Went to a memorial service for a dear friend of mine tonight who died from both liver and colon cancer. I sure do hope I don't have to suffer like she did when I die. I think I am going to enjoy my wood stove, the company of my wife, and the warmth of my water bed. After today, I don't feel like being alone in the cold.

JayS
11-23-2008, 00:44
Too many things happening at home to get away (including 14 yr old daughter in the finals of inter-county soccer and I'm assistant coach!) but... I plan to hang in the backyard one night. I'm going to use my daughter's setup for the cold (expected to go to low 20s with light snow) - a Skeeter Beater turned over so the bugnet holds a Jardine alpine quilt as underquilt. Topquilt will be a DIY down quilt I made earlier this year.

My son and I hung last night. It got to 20* with wind to 15 mph but we stayed reasonably warm under a 12 x 12 tarp. He used a DIY down UQ and a 20* synthetic bag with a down coat. I used a Jardine alpine quilt as UQ (it was hard to keep it spread out) and two tops - a 36* synthetic quilt plus a 32* Montbell stretch bag (plus a down jacket). Got chilled and found the quilt had fallen on the ground. The Skeeter Beeter seemed awfully narrow but I did get a flat lie after several hours of scooching around.

Coffee
11-23-2008, 12:53
Absolutly nothing on my end. Doing a lot of traveling lately and enjoying time on my couch. May go for a day hike later. Last time a gator cut it short when he was sitting on the trail. Didn't think it was my place to ask him to move.

NCPatrick
11-23-2008, 19:43
Had a great night hanging out with rstms at South Mountains State Park. I got there late, but had enough light to set up and check out gear, eat dinner, have a nice warm fire.

We believe that it got down to 24F or so... light breeze. Not too bad at all.

Hiking out this morning, we hiked down past the 80ft waterfall. It's a pretty cool place.

4D's, we thought we might see you, but weren't sure if you were coming or not.

slowhike
11-23-2008, 21:32
Which campsite did you stay in? And did you have any night time visitors wearing masks & looking for food?

TDunc
11-24-2008, 07:21
NC, Sorry about not making it to SM.

Son ended up with strep. Hopefully we can do it next time. I hope you had a great rejuvenation time.

NCPatrick
11-24-2008, 07:44
Which campsite did you stay in? And did you have any night time visitors wearing masks & looking for food?
Hey Tim! We stayed at the Upper Falls Trail Campsites, found a great site off to the right side near the stream. They've put metal boxes with heavy, complicated latches in each general area to keep your food in, and we didn't see or hear any critters during the night. This is a great area to visit.

NC, Sorry about not making it to SM.

Son ended up with strep. Hopefully we can do it next time. I hope you had a great rejuvenation time.

Sorry to hear about your son 4D's. Hope he gets well soon. We'll try to meet up at a later time when everyone is back to 100%.

Kanguru
11-24-2008, 08:10
Had a great night hanging out with rstms at South Mountains State Park. I got there late, but had enough light to set up and check out gear, eat dinner, have a nice warm fire.

We believe that it got down to 24F or so... light breeze. Not too bad at all.

Hiking out this morning, we hiked down past the 80ft waterfall. It's a pretty cool place.

I'll second the great time! Wonderful area.

Got to check out NCP's nice DIY gear. His new hammock sock is nice.

I got to test my new peapod. Used my JRB hood with it like JustJeff's peapod hood. The Omnitape mates with the pod's velcro just fine...great combination for cold weather!

HappyCamper
11-24-2008, 09:00
Got chilled and found the quilt had fallen on the ground.

Jay, was that your top quilt that had fallen? I find even in cold weather with no bugs, I zip up my bug netting because it helps keep quilts, pillows, junk, inside my HH.

HC

JayS
03-29-2009, 10:59
Jay, was that your top quilt that had fallen? I find even in cold weather with no bugs, I zip up my bug netting because it helps keep quilts, pillows, junk, inside my HH.

HC

Happy Camper,
Sorry for the delay - I guess I never checked back on this thread. The quilt that fell was the TQ. Using the bugnet to keep it on is a good idea but I was using the bugnet to "hang" the UQ. I had the hammock upside down with the UQ held in the bug netting sort of like a pad pocket. The bug netting is just large enough it doesn't compress the UQ. On my HH with a ridgeline, I'll have more reason to leave the bugnet on top and it can become a "quilt net", too.

Thanks for the idea!
JayS