PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain, GA for NYE

Youngblood
11-20-2008, 11:20
Any one planning on making the annual NYE campout at Springer Mountain? It has become somewhat of a tradition for folks to ring in the new year on the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail... conditions permitting.

Iafte
11-20-2008, 11:46
I would, but it's kinda far for me. maybe if I can talk my boss into sending me to our Atlanta office that week...

peanuts
11-20-2008, 12:04
yeah!!!!! :D:D

Ewker
11-20-2008, 13:24
Nope I will be in the Northwest Territories

Shadowmoss
11-20-2008, 15:01
Maybe...

(I need 10 more characters to keep this from being 'too short'. Hopefully this is long enough. sigh)

FanaticFringer
11-20-2008, 16:18
I'm gonna try to make it this year. Unless it's raining.:rolleyes:

Splinter
11-20-2008, 22:10
I might, I would have to clear that one with my family.

Youngblood
12-09-2008, 10:32
Just a bump and a reminder that the NYE campout on Springer Mountain is just 3 weeks away.

stormcrow
12-09-2008, 11:25
Looks like I will JUST miss you all!

Adam

Youngblood
12-10-2008, 10:13
Looks like I will JUST miss you all!

Adam

Yeah, I thought about that when you said you where going to start at Springer and finish up on the 1st or 2nd. If you where going in the other direction and ending up at Springer or Amicalola Falls State Park it might work out for you.

Sometimes we get south bound thru hikers purposely finishing up on New Years Eve so they can be the last one(s) to finish for the year. That might be some company for you on the trail. But that is pretty hit-and-miss, probably more miss by a long ways.

There aren't as many sobos to begin with. I remember telling one sobo at the parking lot that was finishing up that another sobo was on Springer and could tell by his exuberance with that news that he had spent too much time alone.:D I suspect the high of finally finishing his hike was offset by having to finish it up all alone. They are no bands, ticker tape parades, shouts of "way to go" when you get there... it can be emotionally challenging with absolutely no one to share it with. There is nothing during that long hike that prepares you for finishing and walking away from the trail.

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 18:28
Ill be there. rain, snow or shine, starting NOBO on 1/1/09:thumbup:

Youngblood
12-10-2008, 20:18
Ill be there. rain, snow or shine, starting NOBO on 1/1/09:thumbup:

I'm looking forward to meeting you. Are you starting from Springer or are you hiking in from Amicalola Falls SP?

tight-wad
12-10-2008, 21:48
Please keep the tradition going for a few more years. I definitely want to, and plan to, make one of these some day, but we've got a serious family medical issue to deal with "back home" right now.

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 22:13
I'm looking forward to meeting you. Are you starting from Springer or are you hiking in from Amicalola Falls SP?
yes, doing approach trail, starting 12/31 8am:)

slowhike
01-02-2009, 06:37
Dave... how was it?

Youngblood
01-02-2009, 07:07
Dave... how was it?

The weather wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from the forecast. The winds picked up a bit for a while after I had went to bed but I wasn't fully awake so I don't remember how bad they were. They were blowing that side of my WinterTarp against my hammock for a while but that wasn't much of a problem, I just sat my plastic compacter trash bag that contained my stuff so that it helped as both a ground block under the low spot of my hammock and something to help keep the tarp off the hammock. I set up in the tent sites on the other side of the spring so I had a better chance of missing out on wind problems unless they came from an easterly direction. I don't think it got down but to about 20F or maybe a tad lower in spots. Ed's thermometer recorded a low of 22F hanging at the end of his hammock and under his WinterTarp and I read that same temperature at one time during the night, then 30F, and then back to 25F at first light. The folks nearer the shelter and at the campsites on the more exposed field may have had a different experience. I thought Sarge said it was 8F when he got there at around 10pm but he must have said 18F and I heard it wrong? You never know though, the temperature can vary more than most of us realize over just a 100 yards or so.

The sky was clear, the stars were amazing, the campfire was put to use with much cooking and keeping warm. I saw green peppers, red onions, brats, and steaks on there at various times. I haven't seen that much cooking on the campfire at other NYE's. A good time was had by all, the partying was under control, and I didn't hear of any problems. Some hit the trail on NYD and some of us went to the Smith House in Dahlonega for a feast... I promised Marta I would have a little extra for her.:D

There were probably a dozen folks out of the two dozen or so that I was acquainted with. Not too many in hammocks, maybe a half dozen or so. There was a whole crew of young folks from Mississippi that had set up in the shelter before I arrived about 2pm. They already had fire wood in place and took care of the fire.

BillyBob58
01-02-2009, 11:25
Man, looks like I missed a good one! I wish you had one more from MS there- Me!

Splinter
01-02-2009, 11:31
I don't think it got down but to about 20F or maybe a tad lower in spots. Ed's thermometer recorded a low of 22F hanging at the end of his hammock and under his WinterTarp and I read that same temperature at one time during the night, then 30F, and then back to 25F at first light. The folks nearer the shelter and at the campsites on the more exposed field may have had a different experience. I thought Sarge said it was 8F when he got there at around 10pm but he must have said 18F and I heard it wrong? You never know though, the temperature can vary more than most of us realize over just a 100 yards or so.

Peanuts' thermometer read 18*F around 8:30 up on the ridge. Overall the trip was a lot of fun (despite NOT having the right gear...Cannibal, I'm going to add to your down count!) and the food at the Smith house was great. It was fun to put faces with names. Can't wait for next year!