PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new Fall MAHHA location

HappyCamper
10-26-2012, 05:12
Ok, as many of you know, we are looking for a new location for the Fall MAHHA. Make your suggestions here. We need a place that is big enough to host 100 hangers (and their cars).

Other than that I think we can be wide open to suggestions and locations. If we get more than one good place where we are welcome by the management, we'll put it to a vote. This is the place to discuss the pros and cons of each location as well.

MedicineMan
10-26-2012, 05:21
and it'd be cool to be close to the AT Museum. And if ever bodies knows to we could disperse along the AT route.

dant8ro
10-26-2012, 05:37
Hi Happy Camper,

I was talking to 2Q about alternate locations for Spring MAHHA, he might have some ideas. I think he mentioned Rickett's Glen.

If its equally close/closer to the border than pine grove; i'm sure you'd start seeing Canadians (whether or not that's a good thing :D).

Dan.

HappyCamper
10-26-2012, 05:45
The ranger suggested Rocky Gap State Park.

Porkroll
10-26-2012, 06:08
Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pa. I like that park. It's right on the AT, and they have an AT museum if I remember correctly.

Black Foot
10-26-2012, 06:20
Not sure if the event needs to be on the AT, but if not my suggestion would be World's End State Park

The timing of the Fall MAHHA would put usually be at the peak of the fall foliage color in this area. There are plenty of trails for hiking including the Loyalsock Trail (59 miles), The Loyalsock - Link Loop (22 mile loop), and ~ 20 miles of trail inside the park. There are some nice canyon vistas, and Loyalsock creek as well. I think they have sites that can accommodate large groups.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/worldsend/index.htm

mussleman1234
10-26-2012, 06:44
How about Green Ridge Stat Park also located at MD. Located next to the C&O canal for bikers and kayakers because Potomac runs along there also. Plus there a bunch of trails on this park

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/greenridgeforest.asp

kayak karl
10-26-2012, 06:52
Hi Happy Camper,

I was talking to 2Q about alternate locations for Spring MAHHA, he might have some ideas. I think he mentioned Rickett's Glen.

If its equally close/closer to the border than pine grove; i'm sure you'd start seeing Canadians (whether or not that's a good thing :D).

Dan.
rickets glen does not allow hammocks anymore :(

Black Wolf
10-26-2012, 07:37
The Spring MAHHA was at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pa, space was limited .. I don't think it would be a good place for expansion .. but it a great place

WV
10-26-2012, 08:12
Not sure if the event needs to be on the AT, but if not my suggestion would be World's End State Park

The timing of the Fall MAHHA would put usually be at the peak of the fall foliage color in this area. There are plenty of trails for hiking including the Loyalsock Trail, The Loyalsock - Link Loop, ~ 20 miles of trail inside the park. There are some nice canyon vistas, and Loyalsock creek as well. I think they have sites that can accommodate large groups.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/worldsend/index.htm
Loyalsock is a lovely place, but I didn't see the group campsite when I was there, so I went to the link above. I also wanted to see if there was information on when they have a fire ban in effect (no luck). PA DCNR site (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/staythenight/organizedgrouptenting/index.htm) for "organized group camping in tents" might be a place to ask for assistance, but there are two problems - (1) "tents", and (2) "organized" - we're not, by their definition. :laugh: There's a third problem for me - it's a seven hour drive. Even Pine Grove Furnace is farther than I like to travel. That's why I'm not proposing any of the fantastic places in West Virginia for MAHHA - it's not central for the group.

Asking PA DCNR and similar sources in other states for assistance in choosing a site for hammock camping might help educate them about the LNT benefits of hammock camping and ease some of the communication problems between various authorities that we experienced at Gathright SP.

HappyCamper
10-26-2012, 08:31
Asking PA DCNR and similar sources in other states for assistance in choosing a site for hammock camping might help educate them about the LNT benefits of hammock camping and ease some of the communication problems between various authorities that we experienced at Gathright SP.

Very wise suggestion.

Also, I heard through the grapvine ABHarris suggested The Blue Ridge Center, close to Harpers Ferry. I was told that she's on the board of directors and said there is a pavilion and enough parking for a large group. I'm hoping they will appreciate a donation like ours. I like that's it's in the same general area. People could still do prehikes on AT. I'll shoot her a PM.

Black Foot
10-26-2012, 11:02
There's a third problem for me - it's a seven hour drive. Even Pine Grove Furnace is farther than I like to travel. That's why I'm not proposing any of the fantastic places in West Virginia for MAHHA - it's not central for the group.

Agree with WV that a central location will be ideal.

+1 with using this as on educational opportunity for the State Parks on the hammock camping and LNT

Yojimbo
10-26-2012, 11:36
Simple question. What is the geographic area covered by MAHHA? That would help determine a "central" location.

I'll give a +1 for the Blue Ridge Center near Harpers Ferry. I did my Wood Badge training for Scouts there. We were camped in the open field though, so I don't know the woods as well. The front part even has showers that we may be able to use.

WV
10-26-2012, 12:03
Good question! Maybe we've been neglecting our western neighbors. :)

HappyCamper
10-26-2012, 13:36
Simple question. What is the geographic area covered by MAHHA? That would help determine a "central" location.

I'll give a +1 for the Blue Ridge Center near Harpers Ferry. I did my Wood Badge training for Scouts there. We were camped in the open field though, so I don't know the woods as well. The front part even has showers that we may be able to use.

I think when Gathland was first chosen as a site years ago that made it the de facto central location. The big attendance growth illustrates it's an area that's a good driving distance for many. My personal preference is to keep it around Harpers Ferry / Gathland, but putting it to vote if we have mutliple locations to choose from seems the most democratic way of deciding on a new location.

ABHarris is going to check on the Blue Ridge Center as a possibility.

mussleman1234
10-26-2012, 13:58
How about the KOA at harpers ferry.

HappyCamper
10-26-2012, 14:21
Talking about locations, here's what I think we need in order to pick a location. Add to the list if you think of anything else.

A park or campground that has space and trees for 100 hammockers.
Can park 80 - 100 cars.
A pavilion with picnic tables for 100.
Bathrooms
Allows campfires (no burn bans)

Wish list:
Trails connecting to it for prehikes.
Water

SilvrSurfr
10-26-2012, 14:31
I loved the central location of Gathland, and based on our ever-increasiing attendance, staying near Harper's Ferry is pretty convenient to a bunch of folks.

However, another approach might be to move the location each year so we see different places and get different pre-hikes throughout the Mid-Atlantic States. One year PA, the next WV, then VA, and maybe even NJ (can you say Pine Barrens?).

I googled Mid-Atlantic States and the definition changes, but could include Delaware, DC, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, and WV.

WV
10-26-2012, 17:59
I think the possibility of prehikes becomes more important to repeat attendees. The AT isn't my favorite trail, but it's known to many HF members so prehikes may be easier to plan if the gatherings are located on it.

Black Foot
10-26-2012, 18:26
I'd prefer a location that could be hiked into as well, given time I'd like to combine the hang with a hike in

The RidgeRunner
10-26-2012, 19:02
I can ask about renting my scout camp, it has all the qualifications but i know there are usually some lively "spirits" around the fire. The Scouts sort of frown on the "spirits" on their properties.

Porkroll
10-27-2012, 08:31
I can ask about renting my scout camp, it has all the qualifications but i know there are usually some lively "spirits" around the fire. The Scouts sort of frown on the "spirits" on their properties.

I was explaining this event to some fellow scouters, and they raised the scout camp possibilities. But I think that the "spirits" definitely make them less attractive.

+1 for the Blue Ridge Center.

HappyCamper
11-02-2012, 08:32
Ranger Joe McAllister from Gathland sent me a very nice MAHHA reference letter to use when looking for a new hang location. This could help us with park administration -- knowing we are a respectful group of leave-no-trace hikers/campers. If anyone wants a copy on letterhead, just PM me.

Here's part of what he said . . .

"Although their group was large, they were very well behaved and ensured that areas they utilized were left in the same condition as when they arrived. In the case of the pavilion it may have been left in better condition.

The Maryland Park Service strongly encourages people to get out and experience the outdoors. This is one of our most important goals. Groups like the MAHHA aid in attracting people to outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. They are also excellent resource in helping educate the pubic on protecting our natural and cultural resources."

:):):)

Ramblinrev
11-02-2012, 09:14
I know "hiking into" has its appeal to folks. I understand that. But one of the reasons I have not been to Gaitland in a while is that I can't handle the hike. I know it is easy but my mobility issues just get in the way. This is just a vote for a more "car camping" venue. I don't expect my opinion to override the majority. But by the same token, if I don't voice it, it goes unheard.

lazy river road
11-02-2012, 09:14
Aahh thats a cool reference letter thanks for sharing. Anyways in regards to future locations. My only input is any place that allows dogs. I love PGF St Park but dont like the rule against no dogs in the group camp site. So really anywhere that permits dogs.

SoundMan
11-02-2012, 16:19
Thanks for sharing the letter Happy Camper. It is good to when everyone acts like an adult. Thanks for your leadership and superb diplomacy.

Demeter
11-04-2012, 07:29

PA state parks prohibit spirits as well. Actually, doesn't MD state parks prohibit them now? Not so much of an issue along the AT as long as one hikes out of the park area a little ways...

WV
11-04-2012, 07:59
It seems to me that alcohol use at MAHHA gatherings has been very subdued, perhaps even minimal, and could be more so if we were a bit more circumspect. It's definitely about hammocks, not a wild party.

Anywhere along the AT we have the problem of a 10 person limit, and we should respect that. The AT gets so much use that it may be more susceptible to the impact of large numbers than other places. (Even hammock campers dig cat holes and leave footprints.)

State parks have regulations. I note that in PA we do not fit the definition of "an organized group", though the nice people at Pine Grove Furnace were either unaware of that or chose to overlook it.

What's left? Private land or National Forests (except for Wilderness areas), perhaps. Look around.

HappyCamper
11-04-2012, 08:42
Gathland allowed alcohol at the pavilion if you bought the alcohol permit. Which I suspect pays for a ranger to be on hand during the pavilion event. I never bought the permit because I did not want to encourage more alcohol consumption. Probably not a popular stance to take with some, but it's my experience that bad things happen when alcohol is 'legal' at a large event. And as an organizer, I don't know everyone coming and how they act after a few drinks. It's also my opinion that MAHHA should be about friendship, family friendly, hammocks, and camping, rather than can we have alcohol at the location. I'm always concerned with safety.

We vote on location anyway, so the majority will rule.

Two Tents
11-04-2012, 08:52
I think if we can find a place that meets our size needs, location, trees for hammocks and dogs being allowed we can live without the alcohol. As stated it's about other things we love not a big drinking party.

MacEntyre
11-04-2012, 10:49
I suggest WV... I really liked Dolly Sods.

- MacEntyre

Kilo3
11-04-2012, 21:28
There are lots of wild and wonderful places in WV.

MML
11-05-2012, 20:51
Very wise suggestion.

Also, I heard through the grapvine ABHarris suggested The Blue Ridge Center, close to Harpers Ferry. I was told that she's on the board of directors and said there is a pavilion and enough parking for a large group. I'm hoping they will appreciate a donation like ours. I like that's it's in the same general area. People could still do prehikes on AT. I'll shoot her a PM.
I love the Harpers Ferry idea-Close to the AT, Close to the C&O for bikers.
Great for Day trips into scienic Harpers Ferry and not really that much furthur than our prior trips to Gathland.

MML
11-06-2012, 11:35
I love the Harpers Ferry idea-Close to the AT, Close to the C&O for bikers.
Great for Day trips into scienic Harpers Ferry and not really that much furthur than our prior trips to Gathland.

Here is the link for the Blue ridge trail center at the Harpers Ferry area

Blue Ridge (http://www.blueridgecenter.org/)

HappyCamper
11-06-2012, 13:02
Thanks for link. I contacted ABHarris and she's going to check into it for us.

HappyCamper
12-04-2012, 18:20
Had a conversation with ABHarris today and the Blue Ridge Conservation Center (http://www.blueridgecenter.org/), which is a stone's throw from Harper's Ferry, is looking real good as a choice for the Fall MAHHA. There plenty of parking, bathrooms, TREES, pavilion, hiking trails, no issue with dogs. It's easy to find. There's definitely going to be a site visit in the future to check out details!

MML
12-04-2012, 18:31
Great news and hats off to AB Harris for the info.
From what I've been able to gather, that looks like a great place for a MAHHA hang.
Looking forward to hear feedback from a site visit.
Thanks for all your work Happy Camper!!
You are appreciated!!

HappyCamper
12-04-2012, 19:05
Yep, AB is the one with the contacts, getting all the info and checking on site. Thank you AB! I am very optimistic about this location! You're welcome!

Yojimbo
12-04-2012, 19:06
If you need others for a site visit I'm available and only about 30 minutes away.

Side note. If we do go here there are some nice vineyards closeby for day trips.

HappyCamper
12-04-2012, 19:09
Excellent. Always good to have extra people and opinions. I'll keep you posted.

Atlas918
12-11-2012, 08:59
What happened with the fall site in MD, if I may ask?

Lupus
12-11-2012, 09:01
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the MAHHA? And where does it typically occur? Is it even in my 'neighborhood' so to speak?

Atlas918
12-11-2012, 09:03
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the MAHHA? And where does it typically occur? Is it even in my 'neighborhood' so to speak?

Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers Association -- a seasonal gathering of people in the mid-Atlantic region to show off their rigs

Yojimbo
12-11-2012, 19:31
We outgrew the current site, which was on the AT at Gathland State Park, Brunswick,MD. Near Harpers Ferry. This past year there were around 70 campers using and area which is designated for groups less than 10. We also overtaxxed the parking area.

Porkroll
12-12-2012, 19:12
We outgrew the current site, which was on the AT at Gathland State Park, Brunswick,MD. Near Harpers Ferry. This past year there were around 70 campers using and area which is designated for groups less than 10. We also overtaxxed the parking area.

It was a downright good time too!

fishbait
12-12-2012, 22:51
There's always New Jersey, maybe the Pine Barrens?

HappyCamper
12-13-2012, 07:50
What happened with the fall site in MD, if I may ask?

Right now we have a good lead on a site in the same general area as Gathland.

Blue Ridge Conservation Center. Some of us will be visiting and camping there this spring to see if it will work for the fall MAHHA gathering.

If anyone else has a lead on a site, please post. This is a group effort so you don't need anyone's permission to get information or check out the facilities on your own.

If we get multiple sites, we'll put it to a vote. Private message me if you want to chat about it.

Porkroll
12-13-2012, 16:29
Right now we have a good lead on a site in the same general area as Gathland.

Blue Ridge Conservation Center. Some of us will be visiting and camping there this spring to see if it will work for the fall MAHHA gathering.

Please keep us posted on the date for the spring visit. I'm interested in checking it out.

NarlocB
12-18-2012, 17:58
Please keep us posted on the date for the spring visit. I'm interested in checking it out.

Agreed, keep info coming for spring as I wouldn't mind checking it out as well.

HappyCamper
04-09-2013, 02:21
Due to family and work obligations, the earliest I will be able to make a site visit to the Blue Ridge Center in Maryland will be first part of June. I'll check with AB Harris for an exact date and post soon.

HappyCamper
05-15-2013, 09:57
Update:

Skydog went over to the Blue Ridge Center yesterday since he lives somewhat close and was checking the area. It has definite possibilities. He'll be meeting with ABHarris soon to take a look at the area she has in mind for all our hammocks.

These are quick site visits. If we do any overnighters or possible work weekends to clear out brush for a better hang area I will let everyone know. The idea for a work weekend in order to make the site good for the Fall MAHHA was brought up by several hangers at the Spring MAHHA.

WalksInDark
05-15-2013, 18:35
If we need to clear out brush, let me know and I will bring my machete...to help!

HappyCamper
05-19-2013, 09:20
On June 14-15, there's a Harpers Ferry Outdoor Festival at the Blue Ridge Center. More info here (http://harpersferryoutdoorfestival.org/). Music, kayak, tent/hammock camping, kid friendly, environmental fundraiser event. Last year about 250 attended.

A few of us MAHHA'ers are going to hang there during the event to check it out for the Fall MAHHA. This will be our "official” site visit. All are welcome to join in. There's a $10 event fee, which covers tent/hammock camping for weekend. Friday and Satuday night. No RV's or pop-ups.

The BRC is close to AT & C&O Canal for anyone who wants to do some backpacking or rail trail biking as well as the kayaking events that are part of the festival.

MML
06-30-2013, 09:53
Any updates for the fall hang yet?

Porkroll
06-30-2013, 21:48
Waiting for an update on the date for this hang.

JollyGreen
07-01-2013, 07:44
I too am interested in an update on the fall MAHHA, as I need to arrange work schedule.

HappyCamper
07-01-2013, 12:13
Hey Gang,

I broke my foot and couldn't go to the festival on June 14 & 15, but SkyDog went in my place and he said the Blue Ridge Center will work for us for the Fall MAHHA. I have a call into the BRC secretary to reserve the date in Oct. Hoping for 3rd week in Oct, but I need to confirm it with the secretary. I'll let you know the final date soon.

Thanks for all the interest!

HC

TDHanger
07-01-2013, 20:20
Sorry to hear about your foot

HappyCamper
07-02-2013, 08:13
Yeah, me too. :D Thanks! It's doing well. I should be out of the walking boot totally in 2 weeks.

Porkroll
07-02-2013, 10:59
i hope you feel better soon Happy Camper!

XTrekker
07-02-2013, 18:05
How many people do you expect to see for the Fall MAHHA?

Porkroll
07-02-2013, 18:09
I bet there will be at least 100!

HappyCamper
07-03-2013, 13:34
How many people do you expect to see for the Fall MAHHA?

A lot depends on the weather. Usually 80 - 100 people show up. Last Fall there was over 100.

HappyCamper
07-03-2013, 13:39
OK folks, we have the Blue Ridge Center for environmental stewardship (http://www.blueridgecenter.org/)near Harpers Ferry, WV reserved for the Fall MAHHA. It's the 3rd weekend in October. October 18,19 & 20. I've rented the area from noon Friday to noon Sunday (most people leave before then anyway).

I will be starting a new thread with more information at a later date, but you can mark your calendars now!

nothermark
07-03-2013, 13:49
Googled the location, thought I would save some folks some time. Here is the map link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=Blue+Ridge+Center+for+Environmental+Stewardship&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Blue+Ridge+Center+for+Environmental+Stewardship&hnear=Blue+Ridge+Center+for+Environmental+Stewards hip&cid=0,0,13183125783319046179&ei=7HHUUY6SMIamygGg6YHwDA&ved=0CIYBEPwSMAA

HappyCamper
07-03-2013, 14:18
Great! Thanks!

Early Bird
07-04-2013, 17:33
OK folks, we have the Blue Ridge Center for environmental stewardship (http://www.blueridgecenter.org/)near Harpers Ferry, WV reserved for the Fall MAHHA. It's the 3rd weekend in October. October 18,19 & 20. I've rented the area from noon Friday to noon Sunday (most people leave before then anyway).

I will be starting a new thread with more information at a later date, but you can mark your calendars now!

Thanks, girlfriend! xo Can't wait to see everyone!!!

HappyCamper
07-04-2013, 17:46
Will be great to see you too. Expect everyone to be rubbing your head at the raffle since you won one of the big prizes at the Spring raffle. You will be more popular than usual! :D

nothermark
07-04-2013, 20:48
I looked over the area for camper camping as I will probably stop as part of a loop trip with the rolling cabin. There is not much close by for a MH. Is it possible to use their parking lot with a self contained MH for L and the dog while I go hang in the woods?

BigBearCamper
07-10-2013, 20:27
Have you thought about Swallow Falls State park in western Maryland?

Tinmar
07-12-2013, 13:23

If we get a work trip up ahead of time to improve the site, let me know.

JollyGreen
07-12-2013, 13:47

OK folks, we have the Blue Ridge Center for environmental stewardship near Harpers Ferry, WV reserved for the Fall MAHHA. It's the 3rd weekend in October. October 18,19 & 20. I've rented the area from noon Friday to noon Sunday (most people leave before then anyway).

bdaabat
07-14-2013, 13:44
I'm a little sad. This sounds like great time! Unfortunately, that weekend is the same weekand as Webelos-O-Ree...one of the biggest Scout activities all year. have fun all!

Bruce

HappyCamper
07-16-2013, 10:15
I looked over the area for camper camping as I will probably stop as part of a loop trip with the rolling cabin. There is not much close by for a MH. Is it possible to use their parking lot with a self contained MH for L and the dog while I go hang in the woods?

I'm told that mobile campers are not allowed at the Center. You may want to call and double check in case my information is wrong.

HappyCamper
07-16-2013, 10:18

Thanks! That's an idea to be checked on for a future MAHHA.

HappyCamper
07-23-2013, 06:34
Official planning thread is up (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76537). Finally a home. :)