PDA

View Full Version : Proposed weight chart

PapaSmurf
11-04-2012, 10:08
I've been working on a weight chart to help new hangers determine the appropriate fabric for their weight. It's tough because the limits are such a subjective area and different fabrics and hammocks act differently. I'm shooting for an overall rule of thumb, not an absolute weight limit.

Here's what I have so far. If anybody sees anything way out of line, let me know.

Green = "safe and comfortable"
Yellow is a 20lb range = "safe, but some loss of comfort"
Red = "you really need to think about a heavier fabric"

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/weightchart1_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19068&c=2)

Also, please understand that this chart is to help guide the new hanger in their choice of fabric.
Many of you choose to live out there in the "red area", but it may not be the right choice for the "average person".

lubbockhammockguy
11-04-2012, 10:25
Nice work.

TFC Rick
11-04-2012, 10:28
Nice work Papa! You are right, way too difficult to get a decent idea of where to be when new and so many opinions floating around. This should be a useful guide.

STinGa
11-04-2012, 10:43
Super graph! Thanks for your work.

STinGa

gunner76
11-04-2012, 12:21
Great Chart

2Tall
11-04-2012, 13:40
Very nice iIndeed. Perhaps a sticky in time or somewhere to be easily located.

FreeRange
11-04-2012, 14:01
I'm visual. This is clear and easily understood.

dragon360
11-04-2012, 14:16
Fantastic way to help field all those questions! Great way to help understand.

grannypat
11-04-2012, 18:11
Great chart! I vote for sticky status.

Roadrunnr72
11-04-2012, 18:22
I am guessing that the chart was neccesary after the big boys asking about a lite weight Darien Hammock:D:D. Nice work, I actually saw the chart before seeing the thread, it was in the gallery when I was down loading some pics......RR

newlease
11-04-2012, 18:24
Thank you for this! I've been trying to glean this for a while. It's a great help.

But I don't see my hammock up there. Is the 1.0 dl about the same as a 1.1 dl?

PapaSmurf
11-04-2012, 18:29
I am guessing that the chart was neccesary after the big boys asking about a lite weight Darien Hammock:D:D.

Exactly :)

PapaSmurf
11-04-2012, 18:33
Thank you for this! I've been trying to glean this for a while. It's a great help.

But I don't see my hammock up there. Is the 1.0 dl about the same as a 1.1 dl?

Most of the 1.0oz stuff I've seen is the same as a 1.1oz nylon without any coating or DWR treatment.
One exception would be the Impetus 1.0 from DIY Gear Supply. It's 1.0oz after coating so the base fabric weight would be lighter.

WV
11-04-2012, 18:39
Useful chart. Newbies (and some of us oldies) won't immediately recognize some fabric types by their weight. 1.1 ripstop nylon and 1.9 ripstop nylon are widely available and very recognizable, but is the 1.6 oz. the same as the 1.5 oz ripstop nylon I got from DIYgearsupply? My first hammocks were made with supplex nylon from QuestOutfitters. Kay said it was the same stuff that Ed Speer used for extra strong hammocks. I think it was 2.8 oz, but I could be wrong. ( Yup - I'm wrong. The QuestOutfitters site says their supplex is 3.4 - 4 oz.) What are the 2.25 oz and 2.6 oz fabrics in your chart, and where can they be purchased?

dandeman
11-04-2012, 18:41
looks great!

stalker42
11-04-2012, 19:25
Thank you thank you for the chart. make us noobs a bit more confident with our choices. Great chart.

PapaSmurf
11-04-2012, 20:20
Useful chart. Newbies (and some of us oldies) won't immediately recognize some fabric types by their weight. 1.1 ripstop nylon and 1.9 ripstop nylon are widely available and very recognizable, but is the 1.6 oz. the same as the 1.5 oz ripstop nylon I got from DIYgearsupply? My first hammocks were made with supplex nylon from QuestOutfitters. Kay said it was the same stuff that Ed Speer used for extra strong hammocks. I think it was 2.8 oz, but I could be wrong. ( Yup - I'm wrong. The QuestOutfitters site says their supplex is 3.4 - 4 oz.) What are the 2.25 oz and 2.6 oz fabrics in your chart, and where can they be purchased?

I was trying to figure out a way to cover several possible fabric weights without listing each and every individual weight.

Many of the 40d nylons will go in the 1.4 - 1.6 range.
The 2.25-2.3oz can be found in many 70d Crinkle Nylons, Poly Taffetas & Poly/Nylon blends.
The 2.6oz can be found in the Crinkle Polyester Taffeta (table cloths) & Poly/Nylon Blends.
I have some supplex in a 3.7oz Hunter Green and it's amazingly comfortable

It's unfortunate that many of the heavier fabrics, especially Polyesters and Polyester/Nylon blends don't get much consideration.

spaceweaseal
11-04-2012, 22:17
Great info and very easy to understand.
Thank you

Cranky Bear
11-05-2012, 08:39
Awesome work PapaSmurf, thanks for taking the time to do it.

SteveS
11-05-2012, 09:03
Awesome chart PapaSmurf!

Got me thinking... Anyone do a hammock with Momentum50 (.69oz/yd2) single layer?

Les Rust
11-05-2012, 09:19
Great work, Papa Smurf. +1 on sticky status for this

Cali
11-05-2012, 11:58
Great job PapaSmurf, as always. Thank you. :)

Panic
11-05-2012, 12:06
Thanks Papa Smurf. This is very helpful.

Stormstaff
11-05-2012, 14:09
Thanks Randy! I sure was thinking about emailing you about something like this and now I don't need to.

body942
11-09-2012, 00:22
Really REALLY useful chart PapaSmurf. Thanks a ton!

DemostiX
11-09-2012, 00:59
<snip> What are the 2.25 oz and 2.6 oz fabrics in your chart, and where can they be purchased?

Well, Backwoods Daydreamer has been selling for $3.85 / yd

70D x 100D ,61″ wide. Breathable, DWR. 2.8oz/yd˛ and gray.

nylon, the last one listed on the following page. The hammocks made from it pleased at least two DIY makers, here. I wonder if something similar has long been used by Clark for all of its hammock beds.

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/products-page/breathable-fabrics/

MAD777
11-09-2012, 06:09
Awesome chart PapaSmurf!

Got me thinking... Anyone do a hammock with Momentum50 (.69oz/yd2) single layer?

Here you go...
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62443&highlight=Hammock

MAD777
11-09-2012, 06:18
I have found that there is a wide range of fabric weights that will hold me up off the ground. But, they feel different because of the amount of stretch. I weigh 200# for reference. My hiking hammock is 1.4oz/sy and has a reasonable amount of stretch, but still comfortable for me. A double 1.1oz/sy feels noticeably firmer and is "just right" for my comfort. I use it when car camping. I also have a 2.8oz/sy hammock and it's too hard, no stretch. I'm starting to sound like Goldilocks!

My point is, everyone likes a different mattress firmness at home, so the same applies to hammocks too. You don't know until you try one, just like in a mattress store. Our mattress store would be a group hang!! Just one more reason to attend. BTW, I'm packing for a group hang here in Florida this weekend :)

doc
11-11-2012, 18:26
Papasmurf,

Any weight info on the Darien 10ft and 11ft in the 1.6 fabric? Thanks

gmcttr
11-11-2012, 21:00
Papasmurf,

Any weight info on the Darien 10ft and 11ft in the 1.6 fabric? Thanks

Here's a link (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62204) to some info that might be helpful.:D

Thanks Papa...another vote for sticky status up in the DIY or fabric forum.:thumbup1:

Junebugdawn
11-11-2012, 22:00
So, where does crinkle taffeta fall on the chart?

PapaSmurf
11-11-2012, 22:14
Crinkle taffeta is available in several weights, but if you're referring to the Polyester Crinkle Taffeta tablecloths available from tableclothsfactory.com, they normally run in the neighborhood of 2.5-2.6oz/yd.

Many of the Nylon Crinkle Taffetas I've seen weigh approx 2.2oz.

BillnGA
11-11-2012, 22:38
Looks good to me. I'd definately use this for my next DIY.

DivaB
11-11-2012, 22:48
PapaSmurf....Nice chart, I like that.

In regards to the crinkle taffeta, my son and I have been in it together a lot (Thank God not to sleep!) But that is a total of 375lbs in it....and he does this all of the time, I think to just try to give me a heart attack, because then he'll start really swinging it high. That is some heavy duty force going on there and we have yet to crash through it. We've shockingly slid the suspension down the tree a good foot before it luckily caught. He has pulled this stunt on me more times than I can count :scared: It's just food for thought....well, not really food :rolleyes:

Lets see what he thinks when I crawl into is 1.1oz nylon prized hammock and do the same to him :lol: .....ok, lets face it, I'm not going to even try that stunt. That's just pushing the hammock Gods entirely too far.

PapaSmurf
11-12-2012, 08:42
DivaB,
Here's a photo with 520lbs in a single layer of Poly Crinkle Taffeta.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/520_2_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19129&c=2)

Most of the fabrics are capable of far more weight than the ratings on this chart.

stevebo
11-12-2012, 10:43
Great chart-------really simplifies things!

PapaSmurf
11-13-2012, 11:27
I made a few revisions and tried to replace the image.
Looks like I messed it up, so here's the new one.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/weightchart_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19068&c=)

Jammmin
11-13-2012, 16:21
How much fabric (approx.) is required to make each version of your Dream-Hammocks? This would help in determining the weight penalty of the various fabrics versus comfort and the advantage of double layers. Thanks!
John

peello
11-13-2012, 16:37
This brings up a question for me. What is the life span of these various fabrics?

Black Foot
11-13-2012, 16:48
Great Chart, really appreciate you putting this together.

Loking at this made me wonder if you could combine different weight fabrics when constructing a DL hammock (e.g. 1.1 & 1.6). If so how would you calculate the weight ranges? Or is this approach not considered a good practice?

PapaSmurf
11-13-2012, 16:50
How much fabric (approx.) is required to make each version of your Dream-Hammocks? This would help in determining the weight penalty of the various fabrics versus comfort and the advantage of double layers. Thanks!
John

The overall carry weight of a hammock and the amount of fabric actually supporting your body are 2 vastly different things. Plus, there are ways to efficiently use heavier fabrics without a "weight penalty".

A comparison like this would only work for the simplest hammocks that just use a rectangular piece of fabric. Otherwise, you'd have to figure in the weight of things like zipper, suspension, netting, guylines, straps, etc.

PapaSmurf
11-13-2012, 17:01
Great Chart, really appreciate you putting this together.

Loking at this made me wonder if you could combine different weight fabrics when constructing a DL hammock (e.g. 1.1 & 1.6). If so how would you calculate the weight ranges? Or is this approach not cosidered a good practice?

I have no idea. Maybe guess it like a DL 1.1 or put it somewhere in the middle?
My favorite build of all time was a 1.1oz Ripstop Woodland Camo outer layer with a 1.8oz Olive Nylon Taffeta inner layer. Man, that was sweet looking.

Jammmin
11-13-2012, 22:27
The overall carry weight of a hammock and the amount of fabric actually supporting your body are 2 vastly different things. Plus, there are ways to efficiently use heavier fabrics without a "weight penalty".

A comparison like this would only work for the simplest hammocks that just use a rectangular piece of fabric. Otherwise, you'd have to figure in the weight of things like zipper, suspension, netting, guylines, straps, etc.

How much weight variance would you estimate is due to just changing the fabric weights, everything else being equal? No doubt a DB 72 will weight more than a DB 60 based on size alone. In a single layer DB 68 is it a matter of only a few ounces between say 1.1 and 2.6?

Just trying to WEIGH my options!!:lol:

PapaSmurf
11-15-2012, 11:42
How much weight variance would you estimate is due to just changing the fabric weights, everything else being equal? No doubt a DB 72 will weight more than a DB 60 based on size alone. In a single layer DB 68 is it a matter of only a few ounces between say 1.1 and 2.6?

Well, here's a very rough look at some of the weights involved.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/comparing_fabric_weights_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19155&c=2)

This chart assumes a piece of fabric approx .75" larger on all 4 sides, double folded and hemmed. It also assumes 3" channels on each end. It is just the hammock body fabric only.

Overhead = suspension, straps, guylines, net, overcover, zipper, stuff sack, etc.

For Dream Hammock products - Based on these weights and looking back through historical DB weights, I can say the "overhead" weight on a 10ft long DB is roughly 15.5oz and an 11ft long DB is roughly 17oz. They all vary a little bit due to different little customizations, but you should be able to use these as rough starting numbers.

For DIY and other products - Info like this could theoretically be used to compare the weights of different combinations of fabrics and help a hanger decide the best amount of fabric to hang on.

Note - This chart does not take into account any coatings or anything that might add a little weight of the fabric.

I hope this helps a little.

Jammmin
11-15-2012, 14:18
Well, here's a very rough look at some of the weights involved.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/comparing_fabric_weights_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19155&c=2)

This chart assumes a piece of fabric approx .75" larger on all 4 sides, double folded and hemmed. It also assumes 3" channels on each end. It is just the hammock body fabric only.

Overhead = suspension, straps, guylines, net, overcover, zipper, stuff sack, etc.

For Dream Hammock products - Based on these weights and looking back through historical DB weights, I can say the "overhead" weight on a 10ft long DB is roughly 15.5oz and an 11ft long DB is roughly 17oz. They all vary a little bit due to different little customizations, but you should be able to use these as rough starting numbers.

For DIY and other products - Info like this could theoretically be used to compare the weights of different combinations of fabrics and help a hanger decide the best amount of fabric to hang on.

Note - This chart does not take into account any coatings or anything that might add a little weight of the fabric.

I hope this helps a little.

Wow! You have gone above and beyond expectations.:thumbup: I did not mean to put you through so much work. This chart is great and should help everyone evaluate options. Thank you greatly!
John

sfitsea
03-16-2013, 10:23
Any idea why I don't have permission to view the chart?

PapaSmurf
03-16-2013, 11:01

The chart can be found on my website here.
http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

DemostiX
03-16-2013, 11:09

You have to register to see pics, charts, etc. TTBOMK, I have never received a solicitation, advert, or any other email as a consequence of registration. IOW, I think there is no downside.

jdbushcraft
03-16-2013, 12:29
You have to register to see pics, charts, etc. TTBOMK, I have never received a solicitation, advert, or any other email as a consequence of registration. IOW, I think there is no downside.

What do you mean by "register"? I am a forum member. Is there something else that needs to be done as I can't see this chart either while I can see pictures in the other threads.

grannypat
03-16-2013, 12:52
Papa Smurf answered that you must go to his website to see it. Since his customers use it, that's a good place for it. Sorry about the old link. Use his link above.

jdbushcraft
03-16-2013, 12:58
OK. Thanks. I did go to his site to see it but thought that was being given as a workaround. I guess the file has been removed from the gallery then and that's why we don't see it here. It has nothing to do with registering. Thanks again.

sfitsea
03-16-2013, 16:29
Thanks, all!