PDA

View Full Version : Acronyms?

Mrprez
12-01-2008, 06:19
Can we get a stickey thread going that lists some of the acronyms that are used here? I saw a referral over at WB for someone interested in getting into tree hanging and the referrer warned them about our acronyms. Might be helpful.

:confused:

slowhike
12-01-2008, 06:40
Look on the home page at the block titled " Hammock Articles", & you'll see it there.

angrysparrow
12-01-2008, 08:13
Look on the home page at the block titled " Hammock Articles", & you'll see it there.

Here's a direct link (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216). There are probably more that need to be added to that list. Submit them in this thread, and I'll see that the list is updated in a few days.

Just Jeff
12-01-2008, 14:05
It's also linked in my sig.

BillyBob58
12-01-2008, 23:38
Here's a direct link (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216). There are probably more that need to be added to that list. Submit them in this thread, and I'll see that the list is updated in a few days.

SB = space blanket or sleeping bag

WB Warbonnet, UQ underquilt, UP underpad, UC undercover, OCF open cell foam

warbonnetguy
12-02-2008, 00:00
vb vapor barrier

te-wa
12-02-2008, 00:38
BMBH bear mountain bridge hammock
BAIAC big agnes insulated air core (pad)
SB skeeter beeter, by the Travel Hammock co.
HR Hudson River quilt by JrB

miisterwright
12-02-2008, 01:21
I don't usually have a problem with gear acronyms, but I'm often at a loss when it comes to some normal conversation acronyms. Of course I can't think of them now, but things like.
IMHO - In my humble opinion.
and something like YMMV ...or something.
There's less context to pull from with things like that. But it's probably just general knowledge that I missed somewhere along the way.

BillyBob58
12-02-2008, 11:55
I don't usually have a problem with gear acronyms, but I'm often at a loss when it comes to some normal conversation acronyms. Of course I can't think of them now, but things like.
IMHO - In my humble opinion.
and something like YMMV ...or something.
There's less context to pull from with things like that. But it's probably just general knowledge that I missed somewhere along the way.

Right, I think context usually covers it in an online discussion, and helps you figure it out if an acronym is suddenly thrown into the discussion. As it usually is, IMHO!

angrysparrow
12-02-2008, 12:05
SB = space blanket or sleeping bag

SB skeeter beeter, by the Travel Hammock co.

So, that's 3 possible options for one simple acronym...with the difference to be specified by the context.

te-wa
12-02-2008, 12:27
ya got me there Sparrow... lets go ahead and say SBP skeeter beeter Pro
(which is what most of us own from the testing-giveaway thing early this year)

Youngblood
12-03-2008, 09:39
Acronyms can get out of hand. A lot of times there is no real need in using them without first showing what they mean by spelling them out during the first use of them in a particular message.

If you want people to understand you, you need to try and make it so they can. Over using acronyms can be like using coded messages where only those with the proper decoder ring can understand them.:) Try to keep in mind this forum is used on the Internet with a wide variety of people with various languages, customs, and familiarity with what we are discussing.

slowhike
12-03-2008, 10:24
Acronyms can get out of hand. A lot of times there is no real need in using them without first showing what they mean by spelling them out during the first use of them in a particular message.

If you want people to understand you, you need to try and make it so they can. Over using acronyms can be like using coded messages where only those with the proper decoder ring can understand them.:) Try to keep in mind this forum is used on the Internet with a wide variety of people with various languages, customs, and familiarity with what we are discussing.

I agree. I try to not over do it w/ the acronyms. If I use one, it's usually shortly after that word has been used so there is less chance of confusion.

angrysparrow
12-03-2008, 10:46
Let's remember that acronym usage is incredibly common on internet forums about all manner of subjects. While a person new to the forum might not be familiar with all of the most hammock specific acronyms we use, if they are computer literate (it's increasingly rare for someone not to be) then they will quickly pick up the lingo either from the list or from context.

I concur that acronyms can be overused, but agreeing on some common ones is reasonable.

Ramblinrev
12-03-2008, 10:56
FWIW (For what its worth) if you google "acronym *" where * is the acronym in question you will be directed to a plethora of possibilities. Not all will make sense in context and ones that are unique to this forum may not be listed but the more common ones are.