PDA

View Full Version : My R2R2R Grand Canyon Video

stormcrow
12-01-2008, 09:50
Ok, here is another one,

I did not edit this one. I showed my friend Neil (from the previous video) how to use Vegas Video and so he worked on this one. He has a little more free time than yours truly.

hinVdfietfM

I thought he did a pretty good job! And, that was a pretty though hike as far as hikes go. We hiked @ 43 miles and over 20,000 feet of vertical change in decent time. It was my first time doing that.

Adam

NCPatrick
12-01-2008, 10:16
Looks like you had some fun. Glad you ended up happy with your pace.

stormcrow
12-01-2008, 10:29
ahh pace.... there is a discussion there.

Would I do it again? Nope. Would I try another challenge like that (maybe even harder)...sure, I would be up for it. Just not the same exact thing because if I were to do it again I would want to stop and camp and just hang out a little.

I loved the trip and the challenge but I missed a lot of the Canyon. I did not even get to see the fantastic view from the South Kaibab trail. More than 2/3 of the hike was during the middle of the night (to escape the heat of the gorge). Although the stars were the most amazing thing I have ever seen (it was a new moon), I still feel a little cheated. It was a hell of a trip and everyone made it just fine. I was the only newbie. Some of the guys have done it close to 10 times now...:)

Adam

angrysparrow
12-01-2008, 10:30
Thanks for sharing. That looked like a wonderful, yet fatiguing, hike.

BillyBob58
12-02-2008, 13:56
I enjoyed that. However, it confirms that I am such a wimp! I was so proud that even the 2 oldest guys on the trip last Sept. did about 8.5 miles in a little over 3 hours ( down hill but while snowing) coming out of the Wind Rivers. What an easy day that was compared to this! I have hiked to the bottom of the canyon, and back up, once before. But we camped over night. And I was 23 instead of 59. It was very hard even then and even camping over night, and it wasn't rim to rim, so not as many miles or quite as much elevation gain and loss. Although, I think it was June or July and some kind of hot!

Ramblinrev
12-02-2008, 14:20
Elevation loss and gain? You end at the sme place you start. Net loss/gain is _0_. The trip is flat. What more can you ask?

stormcrow
12-02-2008, 17:23
Elevation loss and gain? You end at the sme place you start. Net loss/gain is _0_. The trip is flat. What more can you ask?

That is true. Hard to understand why I was so tired at the end..:D

I did not know how I was going to do and I was pretty nervous. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. It was pretty amazing to experience the sensation of hitting so many "walls" during this hike. After a while, the "wall" would feel like a familiar pain/exhaustion that you knew you would get though and be just fine if you just kept walking. Hydration was VERY important to stay on top of.

Adam

Dutch
12-02-2008, 18:33
Thanks for posting this. I can't wait till Dec 26 when i travel into the big ditch for the first time. Your video really has me in the mood.

GrizzlyAdams
12-02-2008, 18:57
wow.

how do you train for something like that?

I have friends who do the endurance thing...Iron Men and Iron Maidens, 100 mile runs, crazy stuff. But they are crazy.

I know what it's like to climb several thousand feet at a steep climb, but not after hiking all night.

wow.

Grizz

Iafte
12-02-2008, 20:05
( up hill both ways in the snow with no shoes)

Fixed that for you... :lol:

Glad you had a good time. My last big trip we did 49 miles in 4 days. Then pub crawled our way back the last 3 days. :boggle:

gunn parker
12-03-2008, 05:22
I finaly got to watch the vid all the was through today and I gotta say it was very good. I did notice a couple of duplicate scenes I think but I enjoyed it just the same.
It's very good to see other peoples hiking spots, more so when it is a place I doubt I'll ever get to hike.
Thanks

turk
12-03-2008, 22:17
I thought that was great. It is very cool to see some of the mid range shots you took. I am always entranced by foreign terrain and vegetation. I loved some of the travel shots that caught good angles of landscape you were in.

Another great submission. Thanks for sharing.

Shug
12-03-2008, 23:13
Go, go, go Man!
That was fun to watch you get tuckered out but having so much fun.... in a weird kinda way. Anything to get outside huh?
Congrats on the accomplishment and glad your buddy make a viddy. Very dramatic with the Star Wars theme.
Shug

stormcrow
12-04-2008, 03:45
Thanks,

I thought the theme song was pretty cool too. I may have created a monster with my friend and videos. He likes making them too.

Hey Shug, the music is the theme to the Indiana Jones movies, not Star Wars. They both have Harrison Ford though! LOL

Adam

Ramblinrev
12-04-2008, 03:49
Hey Shug, the music is the theme to the Indiana Jones movies, not Star Wars. They both have Harrison Ford though! LOL Adam

Just for the record... The Star Wars and Indiana Jones music were both composed by John Williams as well. There are definite similarities.

gunn parker
12-04-2008, 05:07
Hi
What gear did you take with you on this trip?
How was it hiking in the dark and did you get any footage?
Thanks

stormcrow
12-04-2008, 08:56
Hi Gunn,

Gear was minimal for this trip obviously we were trying to keep it ultralight and that was facilitated by the lack of camping equipment needed. We brought minimal changes of clothing because the temps can vary ALOT in the canyon depending where you are at what time of the day and and what elevation. I would say that most of our weight was water. We each carried @ 2.5 liters of water with us. There were 4 or 5 places to get water during the trip and none of us ran out to my knowledge but we rarely had much left at the next "water hole"

I do have a little additional footage of walking at might but it was not great at all because I (and the others) did not pay close attention to lighting (lack of it). The end result is mostly some sound with reflector tape from hydration packs and tennis shoes (we all hiked with running shoes and I recommend it). The night hiking was a definite experience that I am glad I was a part of but...it got old after a while, especially when I kept thinking of all of the views I was missing. I really wanted to see the view from the South Kaibab trail.

Adam

Walking Bear
12-04-2008, 14:07
I hiked down the South Kaibab and up the Bright Angle trail about ten years ago. When we left the top on the first day it was snowing, when we got to the bottom it was 105º. That's the kind of changes that can happen there.