PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Hike 6th Annual NJ Winter Hang

kayak karl
11-13-2012, 14:12
Pre-Hike for the
6th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang(Jan 25-27 2013)

there are about 10 different hikes we can do with different number of days and miles. Remember, other then the massive climb over Apple Pie Mountian (2228" climb in 1/4 mile), it is very flat and water plentiful.

What would YOU be interested in?

http://goo.gl/maps/WQKE
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98283232 Bass River to Buttonwood (only if 2-3 day trip)
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79925335 Buttonwood to Batona
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79924912 Batona to Ong's Hat

we can hike to:
Buttonwood (16 mi to Batona)
Godfrey Bridge (12 mi to Batona)
Lower Forge (7 mi. to Batona)
Lebanon (10 mi. to Batona)
and then to Batona next day.

or a 2 night hike in.

KK&K

Knotty
11-13-2012, 16:04
Always interested. Available is a whole other story. Usually don't know until the date draws near.

Black Foot
11-13-2012, 16:33
I talked to Dan and when he heard SilvrSurfr was hiking he said he's definitely in :laugh:

If we we start on early on Thursday Buttonwood looks like a good starting point. We could do a lesuirely 10 - 12 and then have a nice morning walk into the hang.

G...Hawk
11-13-2012, 17:20
Interested in a hike. Pre or post or some of both if weather allows.

Just spoke to Scout78 ( Bob O) he is also interested in some moderate hiking.

I have not hiked in snow more than a mile. At least not as an adult.

Last year we hiked three days at Pound Ridge, NY, after Hurricane Irene and the Oct Snowstorm had closed many trails.
Extensive sections of fall downs, quite slow going at times. Yet, a pleasing challenge.

Looking forward to the WinterHang.

G.

Porkroll
11-13-2012, 20:57
Definitely interested, we'll see what happens.

Dylan
11-13-2012, 21:02
I may hike in from the Carranza Memorial on Friday just to minimize the chance of getting my vehicle stuck. :D

I could possibly be convinced to do something for something longer starting Thursday.

fallkniven
11-13-2012, 21:58
Count me in. Walking in from either directions fine with me.

fishbait
11-14-2012, 08:38
I'd be interested in hiking Buttonwood to Batona to Friday morning.

kayak karl
11-14-2012, 09:10
im was planning to hike from Bass River before this started. this route (Southern Batona) would give people the opportunity to jump in at 6 different times.

Wednesday noon-nite
Thursday morn/afternoon/nite
Friday morn

there could even be a group that hikes Batsto to Lower Forge Thur (7 mi.) and when the other hikers catch up do the 7 mi. into Batona Friday :) could even night hike this in like SilverSurfer does.

Syb
11-14-2012, 09:18
im was planning to hike from Bass River before this started. this route (Southern Batona) would give people the opportunity to jump in at 6 different times.

Wednesday morn/nite
Friday morn

there could even be a group that hikes Batsto to Lower Forge Thur (7 mi.) and when the other hikers catch up do the 7 mi. into Batona Friday :) could even night hike this in like SilverSurfer does.
I have to confirm but I think I could do the Thursday morn meetup. Kayak karl knows these woods like the back of his hand, thanks for the great info KK.

perrito
11-14-2012, 09:36
... other hikers catch up do the 7 mi. into Batona Friday :) could even night hike this in like SilverSurfer does.

I was going to have a smartass comment for this, but nevermind...
:rolleyes:

Black Foot
11-14-2012, 12:30

This seems like a good plan, what would be your thoughts in terms of starting ending points for each day?

Do people need to camp at the designated sites or is stealth camping OK on this trail?

kayak karl
11-14-2012, 12:52
stealth not OK :). can camp at Bass River Wed nite, Buttonwood on Thur nite (this is 5 mile hike from Batsto, 2 hike road walk) then off to hang at Batona.
Friday we would hike past Batsto, then Lower Forge and end at Hang.

Verizon has cell coverage all the way. Sprint is spotty.

ill post a map this week.

SilvrSurfr
11-16-2012, 18:46
I was going to have a smartass comment for this, but nevermind...
:rolleyes:

Smartass comments welcome! I'm so good at night hiking in the Pine Barrens that I can now even tell when I'm lost!

kayak karl
11-16-2012, 18:55
..... I can now even tell when I'm lost!

when you can see the Tropicana on the horizon :lol:

Syb
11-16-2012, 21:12
when you can see the Tropicana on the horizon :lol:
Now that's funny!

silentorpheus
11-17-2012, 11:04
I'm probably in for a hike. I'll keep an eye here.

SilvrSurfr
11-17-2012, 13:07
I'm probably in for a hike. I'll keep an eye here.

This I gotta see.

silentorpheus
11-17-2012, 13:40
This I gotta see.

Hah! Do you Doubt my ability to hike, or whether I'd actually show up in time?

Either way, I'm not sure I can fault your skepticism. :D only time will tell ...

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2012, 21:46
Hah! Do you Doubt my ability to hike, or whether I'd actually show up in time?

Either way, I'm not sure I can fault your skepticism. :D only time will tell ...

I will reserve judgement till I see how you do on Batsto to Lower Forge this weekend.

Black Foot
01-02-2013, 14:22
stealth not OK :). can camp at Bass River Wed nite, Buttonwood on Thur nite (this is 5 mile hike from Batsto, 2 hike road walk) then off to hang at Batona.
Friday we would hike past Batsto, then Lower Forge and end at Hang.

Verizon has cell coverage all the way. Sprint is spotty.

ill post a map this week.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious (usually that's case) but I see an area designated Bass River on the park map I have but not a campsite. Is it Bodine Field or Lake Absegami?

SilvrSurfr
01-02-2013, 16:41
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious (usually that's case) but I see an area designated Bass River on the park map I have but not a campsite. Is it Bodine Field or Lake Absegami?

I think he meant Absegami.

kayak karl
01-02-2013, 19:08
yep, the camp with that lake. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/bass.html

kayak karl
01-06-2013, 09:25
hiking north to the hang Thursday and Friday or just Friday

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98283232 Bass River to Buttonwood (only if 2-3 day trip)

any more other thoughts on this?

Black Foot
01-10-2013, 14:45
hiking north to the hang Thursday and Friday or just Friday

any more other thoughts on this?

Wednesday noon-nite
Friday morn

Dan (Tinkr) and hoping to hike Thursday and Friday (weather permitting) . Wondering if you could provide a bit more information regarding the possibilities you mentioned?

Based on the maps and links provided (Thanks!) and the fact that you cannot stealth, it seems like the most obvious routes would be:

Day 1 Bass River to Buttonwood (~ 15.3 mi.)
Day 2 Buttonwood to Batona (~ 16.1 mi.)

or

Day 1 Batsto to Lower Forge ( ~ 7.3 mi)
Day 2 Lower Forge to Batona ( ~ 5.8 mi.)

are there other options? A little hesitant regarding the first option considering length, and the shortness of the days at this time of year The second option seems like it may be a bit too short. Thanks in advance for your assistance and advice.

SilvrSurfr
01-10-2013, 15:48
In the Pine Barrens, It's kind of hard to find an itinerary that is around 10 miles. You could start at Buttonwood Hill and hike to Batona (3.4 miles), then hike to Mullica River Wilderness Camp (4.5 miles). Hike up to the Wilderness Camp Connector Trail and cross over to Quaker Bridge (2 miles), then hike the 1.3 miles to Lower Forge. That would give you an 11.2 mile hike.

On the second day, you could hike down to Quaker Bridge via the road you'll see on the map (approx. 1 mile), then turn around and head north again on the Batona Trail to Batona Camp (6.8 miles). That would give you a 7.8 mile day.

Alternatively on the second day, you could hike north right past Batona to Apple Pie Mountain (9.4 miles), then turn around and hike back to Batona (3.6 miles), giving you a 13 mile day. You'll also be able to brag that you conquered the arduous climb and dramatic elevation presented by Apple Pie Mountain.

Black Foot
01-10-2013, 16:36
In the Pine Barrens, It's kind of hard to find an itinerary that is around 10 miles. You could start at Buttonwood Hill and hike to Batona (3.4 miles), then hike to Mullica River Wilderness Camp (4.5 miles). Hike up to the Wilderness Camp Connector Trail and cross over to Quaker Bridge (2 miles), then hike the 1.3 miles to Lower Forge. That would give you an 11.2 mile hike.

On the second day, you could hike down to Quaker Bridge via the road you'll see on the map (approx. 1 mile), then turn around and head north again on the Batona Trail to Batona Camp (6.8 miles). That would give you a 7.8 mile day.

Alternatively on the second day, you could hike north right past Batona to Apple Pie Mountain (9.4 miles), then turn around and hike back to Batona (3.6 miles), giving you a 13 mile day. You'll also be able to brag that you conquered the arduous climb and dramatic elevation presented by Apple Pie Mountain.

Can you park at Buttonwood? How about Apple Pie Mountain? If so I was thinking Buttonwood to Lower Forge (looks like this is ~ 10.7 mi.) Thursday then Lower Forge to Apple Pie Mountain on Friday ( ~ 10.1 mi). I'd probably set up my hammock on Friday as I passed the Batona campsite and slack pack the last 3.7 mi. I'd probably leave a car at Apple Pie Mountain and drive back to the Batona camp.

kayak karl
01-10-2013, 17:23
Can you park at Buttonwood? How about Apple Pie Mountain? If so I was thinking Buttonwood to Lower Forge (looks like this is ~ 10.7 mi.) Thursday then Lower Forge to Apple Pie Mountain on Friday ( ~ 10.1 mi). I'd probably set up my hammock on Friday as I passed the Batona campsite and slack pack the last 3.7 mi. I'd probably leave a car at Apple Pie Mountain and drive back to the Batona camp.
there is no camping at apple pie mt and it is heavily patrolled and not a safe place to leave car over nite. consider parking at atsion station.

OldNWay
01-21-2013, 17:16
I'm about 3 hrs away, might have to work till noon Fri. Thought I drive down to a site, camp that night and hike a few hrs into Baton Sat morning. Not familiar with area hoping someone can give me a location to park and hang Fri night. Fell free to send PM. Thank You

Iafte
01-21-2013, 17:40
I'm about 3 hrs away, might have to work till noon Fri. Thought I drive down to a site, camp that night and hike a few hrs into Baton Sat morning. Not familiar with area hoping someone can give me a location to park and hang Fri night. Fell free to send PM. Thank You

You could always come to Batona then hike to either Apple Pie mountain or go with one of the other groups planning on doing something on Saturday.

OldNWay
01-21-2013, 18:47
Thank You Iafte that sound like the way to go

G...Hawk
01-21-2013, 18:58
posted Jan14.2013

Bob-O ( current trailname: Scout78 ) still hopes to come, but we will only know a few days before.
My 78 year old hiking partner and I had not hiked this autumn, as we usually do and I know he very much wants to get out into the woods.

Because Scout78 may attend; I am not planning on pre or post hikes.

Hope to do a dayhike.

As much as I love snow, my miniVan doesn't. So that is a limitation that directs our arrival or not.

G

note : posted last week in NJWinterHang thread

Silent Bob
01-21-2013, 23:58
Hi all, anybody else hiking in? Fishbait and I will be hiking in from Atsion. We"ll be starting at 9.

Iafte
01-22-2013, 00:03
Hi all, anybody else hiking in? Fishbait and I will be hiking in from Atsion. We"ll be starting at 9.

I should be at camp by then if all goes to plan. I can swing by Atsion before heading down if you want me to take anything to camp for you.

fishbait
01-23-2013, 14:57
I should be at camp by then if all goes to plan. I can swing by Atsion before heading down if you want me to take anything to camp for you.

Careful we might take you up on that offer :D I'd rather not leave a car at Atsion if we don't have to

Black Foot
01-23-2013, 15:39
Tinkr and I are hiking in from Batsto tomorrow. We plan to to get started around 9 as well.

fishbait
01-23-2013, 15:47
Tinkr and I are hiking in from Batsto tomorrow. We plan to to get started around 9 as well.
Did I lose a day somewhere? :confused: My watch and calendar are telling me today is Wednesday the 23rd and so far Joizee Camper is at the Batona Campsite setting up and Tinkr and Blackfoot are hiking in tomorrow from Batsto. Unless of course you are all super enthusiastic and getting an early start to the weekend.

fishbait
01-23-2013, 15:50
Double post

Black Foot
01-23-2013, 15:55
Did I lose a day somewhere? :confused: My watch and calendar are telling me today is Wednesday the 23rd and so far Joizee Camper is at the Batona Campsite setting up and Tinkr and Blackfoot are hiking in tomorrow from Batsto. Unless of course you are all super enthusiastic and getting an early start to the weekend.

We planned originally to spend 2 days hiking in but are shortening so we end up at the Batona campsite the first night so we are co-located near our extra gear. Seemed the prudent thing to do since we are pushing the boundaries of our current rigs. We'll probably day hike Friday and Saturday using Batona camp as a base. Plus we are pretty excited to be getting out :D Game on!

fishbait
01-23-2013, 22:27
Plus we are pretty excited to be getting out :D Game on!

Have fun, we'll see you either Friday or Saturday then.