PDA

View Full Version : Hang out in South Carolina

Dameon
12-02-2008, 21:22
Hey,

Me and a friend of mine are gonna go hang for a night at Congaree Swamp, gonna get there probably around noon on saturday and come home sunday, we just wanna test out our colder weather capabilities, I have yet to even attempt a hang in anything remotely cold. Gonna be in the low 30's, just figured I'd see if anyone else might want to come hang out, would like to meet some more hangers and maybe even get some more tips and tricks, anyways just thought I'd put it out there, let me know if you are interested

Dameon

slowhike
12-02-2008, 21:32
I've wanted for a long time to camp in a swamp, & winter seams like it would be the best time because of mosquitoes.
But unfortunately, I just can't get away right now. I hope it works out for you.

NCPatrick
12-02-2008, 21:35
Sounds great, and I'm not too far away! Unfortunately the schedule is full here before Christmas.

I'll have to keep this place in mind. I had been planning to go to Merchants Millpond State Park, NC this Spring, and camp in the swamp. I figured cool/cold weather would be the best time to go (no snakes or bugs, much).

Congaree sure fits the bill for Swamp camping though, so maybe I'll head South this spring instead.

Schneiderlein
12-02-2008, 22:13
Are you talking about this weekend Dec. 6/7? I might be up for that if my wife will let me go. I could be there about 4pm.

Is the spot you are thinking about fairly close to a parking lot? I am recovering from a knee injury and wouldn't want to hike more than 3-4 miles, maybe 5 at most, and that at a slow pace.

Any advice on how to sugar-coat: Hey Honey, I want to go spend the night out in the freezing cold in a creepy swamp with a couple of guys I know from an online forum?

Dameon
12-02-2008, 22:20
Yeah, sorry, I meant to put the date so that there would be no confusion lol, but yeah saturdy the 6th and come home sunday the 7th, and yeah, I figure since it is my first time in the cold we'd camp in the after hours parking lot campground, you park right on the edge of a field and the spot I like to camp is just on the other side of the field, close enough to see it if there is nothing in the way. That way if my setup is less than desireable and I end up way too cold, I'll go get in the car and try again later lol.

And just invite the wife along, she won't come cause it's too cold, but she'll think it was so nice of you to invite here the she will be happy to let you go alone lol

Schneiderlein
12-02-2008, 23:27
You don't know my wife. If she were a hiker, her trail name would be "where's-the-hilton?". Got to find another strategy, but it's not going to be easy since I have been out of town so much with my job...

What do you plan on using to fight the bitter cold South Carolina winter? I have some spare gear I could bring along.

Do you plan on a camp fire/cook out?

Dameon
12-03-2008, 07:56
Yeah, figure we'd probably walk the trails some during the day, then settle in around a fire for a while, maybe have a beer or two, and bring all the gear you want, I am always interested in finding better possibly less expensive ways to stay warm and cozy, I'm gonna do what I can to stay warm with just my pad some warm clothes and I have a few sleeping bags, I'm gonna decide which one I want to use. And I have a coleman stove that I use when car camping, if your coming let me know and we'll all bring something to cook or we can just bring our own food, but if you wanna bring some burgers or maybe dogs or something, I have breakfast covered, bacon and eggs if that cool with you, but just let me know, we'll figure something out, and anyone else is welcome too, the more the merrier!!

Schneiderlein
12-03-2008, 12:00
Dameon, this sounds great. I will let you know tomorrow. Can you post a google maps link or something so I can get an idea how to get to the place?

I have a very crude DIY SPE type thing that would work with a 20" wide pad. I used it last year on the foothills trail with a 3/4 length Prolite-4 and Walmart CCF wings in the high 20s. If you want it, it's yours. Even if I cannot make it this weekend, we can probably find a way to get it to you.

Dameon
12-03-2008, 15:42
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=columbia,+sc&daddr=100+National+Park+Rd,+Hopkins,+SC+29061+(U+S +Government+Department+of+Interior:+Congaree+Natio nal+Park)&hl=en&geocode=%3BCVCeMd4R1eIpFbtpBAId5KYu-yF94Gz8mOKk8g&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=33.998079,-81.034866&sspn=0.497536,1.235962&ie=UTF8&ll=33.844435,-80.82787&spn=0.124609,0.30899&z=12

That's cool man, There is a map from columbia, not sure where your coming from but it is very easy to find, I just go up I 77 to the bluff road exit (Exit 5 maybe????) turn right and follow the signs, it is about 10 miles from I 77 off bluff road.

And when you turn into the park, on state park road or whatever, you will got a mile or two and come to a stop sign where there is a gate, the after hours parking lot is right there on the left, it is a gravel lot, pull in there and park on the left side of the lot, my favorite site is on the left side all the way in the back corner.

Schneiderlein
12-04-2008, 11:40
I'm in. How about brats and Kaiser rolls for Saturday? Let me know what and how much I should bring.

Dameon
12-04-2008, 14:00
That sounds excellent, right now it is definitely gonna be 3 people, but my brother (a ground dweller) might come, he has something to do saturday and is gonna come when he is finished, if he finishes early enough, so bring enough for 3 for sure, if you want bring extra in case he comes and I'll tell him to bring something too, I'll get breakfast, I'll have Dave, thats the other guy, bring something too, maybe burgers for lunch before we leave sunday, if you plan to hang around that long.

Schneiderlein
12-04-2008, 14:46
That sounds excellent, right now it is definitely gonna be 3 people, but my brother (a ground dweller) might come, he has something to do saturday and is gonna come when he is finished, if he finishes early enough, so bring enough for 3 for sure, if you want bring extra in case he comes and I'll tell him to bring something too, I'll get breakfast, I'll have Dave, thats the other guy, bring something too, maybe burgers for lunch before we leave sunday, if you plan to hang around that long.

Dameon, I will bring enough for 4. What else is needed?

Do I need to get a permit at the visitor center? I have never been to the swamp.

Dameon
12-04-2008, 17:52
I'll get one for all of us when we get there, I'll just tell them that there is gonna be four people, they always just ask for one person's name and all that then the number of people that are gonna be with that person. You say you'll be there around 4?? I'll make sure we are at our site at that time, and not out exploring lol.

Schneiderlein
12-05-2008, 00:54
I'll get one for all of us when we get there, I'll just tell them that there is gonna be four people, they always just ask for one person's name and all that then the number of people that are gonna be with that person. You say you'll be there around 4?? I'll make sure we are at our site at that time, and not out exploring lol.

Thanks for getting the permit. I will send you a pm, seems like we should take it off-line. Any hangers in the vicinity, speak up now or forever........

TDunc
12-05-2008, 06:11
Oh well, I kept trying to figure a way to join you guys but it isn't happening. Lived in NW Columbia for 20 years before moving back home to Clt. I like the swamp area.
Don't tell, :D but a great little spot was down to the pond then turn right and go to the creek... about a 100 yards up the creek was kinda cool. (No, I would never stay where I was not supposed to so don't get that idea!:scared:)

You guys enjoy. Have a great weekend.

NCPatrick
12-05-2008, 07:45
Thanks for getting the permit. I will send you a pm, seems like we should take it off-line. Any hangers in the vicinity, speak up now or forever........

Nope can't make it this time. Hopefully there will be another time NOT around the holidays...

Dameon
12-05-2008, 08:24
This was a last minute thing we decided to do, maybe we'll set up something next year with more notice and more people can come hang out, I think it would be fun.

NCPatrick
12-05-2008, 09:13
This was a last minute thing we decided to do, maybe we'll set up something next year with more notice and more people can come hang out, I think it would be fun.

That would be great. Y'all have fun. Take lots of pictures.

Just Jeff
12-07-2008, 08:58
Interested to hear how this one turned out...I took Joker to Congaree once. Great trip...could hear the hogs rooting near our camp in the middle of the night.

Got pics?

Hopefully next time we can get more folks and make it a party.

Schneiderlein
12-07-2008, 14:23
Interested to hear how this one turned out...I took Joker to Congaree once. Great trip...could hear the hogs rooting near our camp in the middle of the night.

Got pics?

I just got back from the hangout. It was a lot of fun. Dave is going to post some pics.

Hopefully next time we can get more folks and make it a party.

We were only three, but we did make a party out of it! I think it would be a great spot for a bigger group. We are definitely going to do this again, next time with more advance notice.

Dameon
12-09-2008, 19:22
Hmmm... I predict pictures in the near future

Dameon
12-09-2008, 20:32
Well there should be some pics up soon, I forgot my camera so I didn't take any. But I must say we had a great time, and I stayed warm. We were all thinking that the Temp. didn't get as low as we thought it was going to, but I checked the website after I got home, turn out there is a weather station or whatever in the park and the Low temp. that night was 28, and I was born and raised in SC, so that's cold to me lol, but I stayed nice and warm and overslept nicely in the morning, Definitely gotta go it again!!!!

ricegravy
12-09-2008, 20:42
I uploaded some pics, but I'm not sure how to show them here. They are on my profile?
I hade a great time by the way and would like to do it again A.S.A.P.
28 degrees feels nice in my Hammock.

Just Jeff
12-10-2008, 06:23
Click on the "15" next to the "images" link under your name. It'll take you here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=1330

Good pics!

tomsawyer222
12-10-2008, 06:44
Maybe we could get a bunch of the southern hangers to make it up to the foothills trail?
it is right in the middle of SC,NC,Georgia . It has good hanging and a few water falls too

Youngblood
12-10-2008, 08:27
Maybe we could get a bunch of the southern hangers to make it up to the foothills trail?
it is right in the middle of SC,NC,Georgia . It has good hanging and a few water falls too

Sounds like a good idea.

NCPatrick
12-10-2008, 08:47
I'd be up for that, schedule permitting. Great pics, btw.

ricegravy
12-10-2008, 09:05
Thanks! and I love the Foothills. I think that is a great idea.

Shug
12-10-2008, 10:18
Looking at the pix it seems like ya'll had a big ol' time. Cool to see folks come together over a shared interest.
Now I need a BBQ sammy with mustard sauce and sweet tea!
Shug

Schneiderlein
12-10-2008, 10:30
I love the Foothills trail. There was a thread a while ago about it, I think hc4u was thinking about hiking it. Maybe we could organize a group hang somewhere on the Chatooga on a Friday/Saturday, and those who want to hike the whole trail could leave from Table Rock on Wednesday and hike to the group hang.

Youngblood
12-10-2008, 10:54
There is no shortage of beautiful spots on the Foothills Trail. How far does the Foothills Trail go along the Chattooga River... from Burrell's Ford to LickLog Falls? Seems like there is available parking at both those spots and its about 4 or 5 trail miles between them.

A little info for those that aren't familiar with the area. The Chattooga River is a designated National Wild and Scenic River (http://www.chattooga-river.net/) that is the border between NE Georgia and NW South Carolina. The section we are talking about is north of highway GA28 (SC28 is the same road). That section of the river is for hiking and fishing only. Below that it is a whitewater rafting river also. The Chattooga Trail shares some trailway with the Foothills Trail. The Chattooga Trail has about 17 miles north of GA28 on the South Carolina side of the river and about 20 miles south of GA28 on the Georgia side of the river. The southern terminus is where US76 crosses and the northern terminus is in the middle of the woods at a junction of a couple of other trails that are about 4 miles or so from the nearest trailhead.

Schneiderlein
12-10-2008, 11:34
There is no shortage of beautiful spots on the Foothills Trail. How far does the Foothills Trail go along the Chattooga River... from Burrell's Ford to LickLog Falls? Seems like there is available parking at both those spots and its about 4 or 5 trail miles between them.

That sounds right. I seem to remember reading that camping was prohibited at the established campsites in one of the sections along the river because of bear problems.

Dameon
12-10-2008, 16:01
Well lets see if we can figure out when and where to meet :O)

Just Jeff
12-11-2008, 18:03
Laurel Fork Falls has a couple of semi-developed campsites right on a wide slow spot just above the falls. IIRC it's within a mile or two of the road. Beautiful spot...wish I could have camped there on my hike but it was only lunchtime so I didn't want to stop.

There's another large campsite just on the west end of the Chattooga...I think it's the last spot on the trail before you enter the last section of the FT where camping isn't allowed, but I'd have to check the guide again. IIRC, it's pretty near a road crossing as well.

Either of these would be great for a group campout. But there are all kinds of beautiful spots I'd be up for. Definitely interested in this hangout if I can deconflict it with work.

Schneiderlein
12-11-2008, 18:16
Laurel Fork Falls is definitely a nice spot, but I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Another option might be somewhere near the Bad Creek pumping station. I think there is a park of some sort with campgrounds. Would be good for day-hikes up Whitewater Falls, if you are so inclined.

tomsawyer222
12-11-2008, 20:06
Laurel fork falls was where i spent last saterday night that site is nice but pretty cold cause of the falls. Not much in the way of firewood either since it is a well used camp site. I am new to SC so that first section is all have seen of the foot hills trail. It would be great to get everyone together there are some really good sites along the trail between the falls and sassafras mtn pretty accessable too.

tomsawyer222
12-11-2008, 20:12
I guess the biggest off work time coming up would be either the christmas holiday or new years. I ave off the day before Xmas and the day of Xmas also i dont work fridays so its a 5 day weekend for me. I also have Jan 1st off and that friday so that would be 4 day weekend there so either of those times are really great for me. Or most weekends would work. If it can be on one of those extended weekends maybe we can hike some of the trail as a group?

Dameon
12-13-2008, 14:03
Well let's come up with some plans fella's. I'm looking foward to meeting more of you. Scheederlein is one cool cat. Oh and Schneiderlein, I got me some Inglehoffer Mustard lol, good stuff!

Just Jeff
12-13-2008, 16:18
According to my 1998 trial guide (p36), the FT to Laurel Fork Falls is on and near access and logging roads within .5 mi of the campsite. The maps are in black and white and look like a copy machine so I can't really make out where the road is, but someone with a mapping program might be able to direct people to the right place. But I'm not stuck on that location at all. Depending on what weekend you choose, I'm hoping to make it to wherever you the group agrees on.

tomsawyer222
12-14-2008, 18:29
well laurel fork falls is near enough to the end of that section at a boat landing i believe?

GvilleDave
02-08-2009, 23:57
Did anything ever happen w/ this trip? I live about an hour away from that area in Greenville and would definately be interested if the trip has not yet taken place. I'm going to the Chattooga River Trail to camp w/ a bunch of ground dwellers (I was one myself until a few days ago...) the area we'll be camping on 2/20 is 1-2 miles north of Burrells Ford on the river. There is a huge (but well used site) there that could accomodate a bunch of hangers. Those that like to fly fish could hit the river and those interested in a hike could hoof it up the trail to Ellicot Rock or take the East Fork of the Chatttooga over to the fish hatchery.

If the trip already happened let me know where you went and how it turned out...

trigger hurt
02-10-2009, 22:41
I'm down in Kingstree, but my folks live in West Cola...

I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of you columbia folks if this is still in the works to head up to the northern part of the state. I'll chip in for gas, obviously.

Schneiderlein
02-10-2009, 23:07
How about a Saturday night at the Congaree swamp in late March, say on the 21st or 28th?

I also have a vague plan to hike the Foothills Trail in early March, most likely starting on Saturday the 7th at Table Rock and finishing at Oconee sometime on Tuesday the 10th. If anybody is interested, let me know.

trigger hurt
02-11-2009, 06:17
21st of March is good for me.

Schneiderlein
02-11-2009, 23:46
I literally ran into another SC hammock camper today on the trail - gurutc from Columbia. He said he'd be up for a group hangout at the swamp if the timing is right. I will start a thread with a poll and see if we can get some people together.

gurutc
02-12-2009, 09:22
It's true. Two Hammockers ran into eachother, you'd think one would have got out of the way!

Yes, up for a swamp hang.

- gurutc