PDA

View Full Version : NJ Pine Barrens Overnight - Thanksgiving Weekend (Nov 24-25)

silentorpheus
11-18-2012, 22:31
Thinking about heading out for a quick overnight next weekend. Figure a hike in the woods in the nice brisk November air will do wonders for working off all the food I'll have eaten a few days before.

My current plan is to start at the Batsto station, and head towards the Lower Forge camp. Either on the Batona trail, or head up the Mullica River trail and cut over. I'll start Saturday late morning or early afternoon. It's only about 7.3 miles - but I'm out of shape, so I'm gonna take my time, and enjoy the scenery. I'll hang at Lower Forge, and head back out the next morning, likely on whichever of the two trails I didn't come in on.

Any and all are welcome - I'm planning on going regardless. If you want to do more mileage, I'm sure there are other options that could or would land you at Lower Forge.

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2012, 23:30
OK I will bite.. would a springer dog be OK?

silentorpheus
11-19-2012, 00:06
OK I will bite.. would a springer dog be OK?

according to the NJ State website for Wharton State Forest, Lower Forge is a pet friendly camp site. I think you just have to register them at the ranger station. Don't quote me on that, though. I don't have a dog, nor have I actually stayed at Lower Forge before.

Kayak Karl would be a better person to ask about dogs and the Batona Trail campsites.

SilvrSurfr
11-19-2012, 21:57
I'm aiming to join you unless the wife finds a way to thwart my plans.

Deadphans
11-19-2012, 22:18
I might join you as well...let me see my work schedule and take a look at the weather.

SilvrSurfr
11-19-2012, 22:27
I might join you as well...let me see my work schedule and take a look at the weather.

I haven't found any weather forecasts for the Pine Barrens to be reliable. I've seen it rain all night when the forecast said zero percent chance of rain, and not a drop with 100% chance of rain.

Would be great to meet you if you can make it!

matthiastrek
11-19-2012, 22:30
surprise surprise, I will be in NJ visiting family, and I would love to join you!

silentorpheus
11-19-2012, 22:54
I'm aiming to join you unless the wife finds a way to thwart my plans.

Mine already tried. I made sure to clear it with her first ... or so I thought. Then earlier I was talking about how it would be a chilly night in the woods ... she was like "You're going overnight? I thought you were just going hiking for the day!"

But in the end my plan is un-thwarted. :shades:

SilvrSurfr
11-19-2012, 23:08
surprise surprise, I will be in NJ visiting family, and I would love to join you!

Now I can definitely thwart my wife's plans to thwart my plans! I'll tell her a friend is flying all the way from Canada to hike with SilvrSurfr!

Iafte
11-19-2012, 23:38
I'd join you Silentorpheus but I already have plans Saturday night. Going to the Operation Hat Trick (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/AtlanticCityHeroes) game in AC.

Have fun. :D

Thinking about heading out for a quick overnight next weekend. Figure a hike in the woods in the nice brisk November air will do wonders for working off all the food I'll have eaten a few days before.

My current plan is to start at the Batsto station, and head towards the Lower Forge camp. Either on the Batona trail, or head up the Mullica River trail and cut over. I'll start Saturday late morning or early afternoon. It's only about 7.3 miles - but I'm out of shape, so I'm gonna take my time, and enjoy the scenery. I'll hang at Lower Forge, and head back out the next morning, likely on whichever of the two trails I didn't come in on.

Any and all are welcome - I'm planning on going regardless. If you want to do more mileage, I'm sure there are other options that could or would land you at Lower Forge.

fishbait
11-20-2012, 11:06
Anyone planning on hiking in on Friday? I was thinking of a test hang before heading up to the NEHHA and this would be a great chance.

silentorpheus
11-20-2012, 13:49
Anyone planning on hiking in on Friday? I was thinking of a test hang before heading up to the NEHHA and this would be a great chance.

I'm up in North Jersey at the inlaws Thursday, staying over Friday. Won't be back until later Friday night. Otherwise I would have loved to make this a two day weekend trip. But if you wanted you could always solo Friday, and hike from wherever you end up staying over to Lower Forge to meet up with us Saturday. :D

Chris K
11-20-2012, 16:30
Man this sounds great but I promised the wife I would paint the LR & DR this weekend. Maybe she will understand that the great outdoors are calling...again.

njredneck
11-20-2012, 17:08
The wifes working and I just talked my boys into going so count me in.

JollyGreen
11-20-2012, 17:15
Where exactly is this? I'm in Little Ferry and if I don't have to work the weekend I'd be interested.

Deadphans
11-20-2012, 17:20

Wait, you mean you would rather be out in the woods than camping in a best buy line for the newest gadget?

Ss i'm looking forward to meeting you too. Maybe carpool?

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2012, 17:40
Where exactly is this? I'm in Little Ferry and if I don't have to work the weekend I'd be interested.

Exit 52, New Gretna, on the Garden State Parkway, then follow the signs to Batsto Village. Don't bother with Mapquest or Google Maps or any of those online directions. They'll send you on a wild goose chase - just follow the signs.

http://www.batstovillage.org

At Batsto Village office (closes 4 pm) you can get a camping permit for Lower Forge ($3 for residents, $5 for out-of-staters, I think). They also have maps of the Batona Trail and Mullica River Wilderness Trail, either of which are suitable for getting to Lower Forge.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/batona14web.pdf

I prefer taking the Mullica River Wilderness trail 'cause there's less ticks (not a problem this time of year), and I don't get lost on that trail as much because it doesn't switch back on itself and is better marked. The Mullica trail is much less overgrown than that section of the Batona (hence less ticks). There's also a water pump at Mullica River Wilderness campsite (4 miles in) so you can fill up on water if you don't want to filter.

Deadphans
11-20-2012, 17:54
Do you have an approximate time you will bgin hiking?

jerzybears
11-20-2012, 19:57
Room for 2 more??

jerzybears
11-20-2012, 19:58
Russ and I have never done the Piney Hike!! You leaving bread crumbs Silver Surfer??:tonguesmilie:

jerzybears
11-20-2012, 20:05

I think Russ and I will also hike in Friday. We dont do black friday!!! Brrrrr...:scared: We were planning the Catskills Fri-Sun but this will be new for us! And no ticks??? WINNING!!!!:shades:

jerzybears
11-20-2012, 20:18
How are these trails blazed? Markers? Sorry, I am such a noob....

fishbait
11-20-2012, 20:57

Don't feel bad, I'm wondering the same thing.

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2012, 20:58

On the Batona Trail, the trees are blazed with a lovely pink. The Mullica River trail is yellow. Like I said before, I kind of prefer taking the Mullica River trail 'cause I just don't get lost as much.

jerzybears
11-20-2012, 21:07
On the Batona Trail, the trees are blazed with a lovely pink. The Mullica River trail is yellow. Like I said before, I kind of prefer taking the Mullica River trail 'cause I just don't get lost as much.

Hey Silver..do you or perhaps KK have the garmin waypoints for the mulica river trail?

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2012, 21:23
Hey Silver..do you or perhaps KK have the garmin waypoints for the mulica river trail?

I don't have a GPS. KK has posted the Garmin waypoints for the Batona Trail in this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62693

Very little chance of getting lost on the Mullica River trail, even without a GPS. It's well marked. Bonus is that the trail goes through Batsto Village so you get to check that out. I just prefer the Mullica River trail to reach Lower Forge but that's strictly personal preference. Nothing wrong with the Batona Trail to reach Lower Forge - I just like the scenery along the Mullica River a bit better, and there's also a water pump at the Mullica campsite for easy fill-up before doing the final 3 miles to Lower Forge.

kayak karl
11-20-2012, 21:30
Dogs are no problem. just need their licence (any state) and rabies. tags are fine. dogs are $5 people $3 :)
have a great time. i MIGHT? :) hike in from rt30 where my son lives.

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2012, 21:33
There's a closed section of the Mullica River Trail because a bridge is out but I no longer take the detour. The bridge was a joke and the river has never been deep enough to even take my shoes off to cross it (though I would if necessary). It's a pretty section of the trail, well worth seeing.

I take the closed section of the Mullica River trail in this video at the 11:00 minute mark. You can see how difficult it is for me to cross the river, as well as the wreckage of the bridge.

jPDTtklXGGU&feature=g-crec-u

silentorpheus
11-20-2012, 21:52
SilvrSurfr seems to think that there's a decent amount of wood to be found, perhaps not at the cam, but on the way in. Assuming we can get a fire, we could think about making this like a 501 Hang, and bring in real food. Could be fun to cook red meat on an open fire, rather than eat dehydrated food from a bag ... thoughts?

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2012, 22:06
Filet mignon fajitas! Cook garlic, onions, bell peppers, olive oil and chili powder in aluminum foil, the filet mignon on a stick. Voila! We can also bring refritos frijoles and tortillas for a rib-sticking dinner.

kayak karl
11-20-2012, 22:34
it is Bow hunting season:D

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2012, 22:43
Jersey represent!

Tentative list of hikers:

Friday:

fishbait
jerzybears

Saturday:

SilentOrpheus
SilvrSurfr
Deadphans
njredneck + 2?
Chris K
matthiastrek
mortonjl
kayak karl
Barack Obama + 3 (Not counting Secret Service)
John Boehner (he's gonna cry around the campfire)
Nancy Pelosi (her face is gonna freeze at the campfire)
General Petreaus (he's using strictly female insulation, no down)

If nobody else shows up, I know SilentOrpheus will. I've had the discussion with the wife and she says, "I don't care what the hell you do," before laying down a bunch of honey-do stuff that has to be done before I depart, as well as the obligatory Catholic guilt trip stuff that seems to work really well on fellow Catholics but rolls off my back like water off a duck. I was raised Episcopal - we weren't even taught the concept of guilt!

Looking forward to getting out on the trail and forgetting what Hurricane Sandy has done to my town and my home. Can't wait!

silentorpheus
11-21-2012, 01:41
Do you have an approximate time you will bgin hiking?

Not sure, but I was thinking of trying to be on the trail by noon. It's a 7.3 mile hike, and I know I'm going to be slow. I figure leaving Batsto by 12 should put me at lower forge before dark. :) chances are I'm exaggerating how out of shape I am, and I'll get there quicker ... In which case that just means more time at camp.

That's what I had kicking around in my head. We'll see how that changes over the next few days.

njredneck
11-21-2012, 06:29
Me and my 2 boys will most likely get an early start around 10 or so. My youngest is real slow and will probably need to take a few breaks along the way. Also I know that I'm out of shape.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. See you in the woods.

Mike

fishbait
11-21-2012, 08:04
Jersey represent!

Tentative list of hikers:

Friday:

fishbait
jerzybears

Saturday:

SilentOrpheus
SilvrSurfr
Deadphans
njredneck + 2?
Chris K
matthiastrek
mortonjl
kayak karl
Barack Obama + 3 (Not counting Secret Service)
John Boehner (he's gonna cry around the campfire)
Nancy Pelosi (her face is gonna freeze at the campfire)
General Petreaus (he's using strictly female insulation, no down)

If nobody else shows up, I know SilentOrpheus will. I've had the discussion with the wife and she says, "I don't care what the hell you do," before laying down a bunch of honey-do stuff that has to be done before I depart, as well as the obligatory Catholic guilt trip stuff that seems to work really well on fellow Catholics but rolls off my back like water off a duck. I was raised Episcopal - we weren't even taught the concept of guilt!

Looking forward to getting out on the trail and forgetting what Hurricane Sandy has done to my town and my home. Can't wait!

You forgot Jabba and his trademark Fleece :D

fishbait
11-21-2012, 08:20
it is Bow hunting season:D

I guess I shouldn't consider wearing a set of these (http://www.dizbee.com/toy/) then :D

matthiastrek
11-21-2012, 09:41
SilvrSurfr seems to think that there's a decent amount of wood to be found, perhaps not at the cam, but on the way in. Assuming we can get a fire, we could think about making this like a 501 Hang, and bring in real food. Could be fun to cook red meat on an open fire, rather than eat dehydrated food from a bag ... thoughts?

Dude if I can I'll bring in chicken, cheese, peppers, rice, salsa, and lime pepper tortillas!

fishbait
11-21-2012, 09:48
Good thing I'm not staying Saturday Night, a guy'll get fat hang with all of you. :laugh:

SilvrSurfr
11-21-2012, 11:38
You forgot Jabba and his trademark Fleece :D

I didn't invite Governor Jabba the Hutt and his XXXXXL fleece, but I did invite Lt. Governor Guadagno. She's kinda cute.

SilvrSurfr
11-21-2012, 11:50
Not sure, but I was thinking of trying to be on the trail by noon. It's a 7.3 mile hike, and I know I'm going to be slow. I figure leaving Batsto by 12 should put me at lower forge before dark. :) chances are I'm exaggerating how out of shape I am, and I'll get there quicker ... In which case that just means more time at camp.

That's what I had kicking around in my head. We'll see how that changes over the next few days.

I probably won't get there till 1:00 pm, which means I should catch Silent Orpheus around mile marker 2 by 3 pm. I'll probably find him lying down exhausted beside the trail, offering to pay day hikers to carry his pack to Lower Forge.

Hey, this sounds like a great idea for a business venture: Piney Sherpas! Indigenous Jersey Rednecks who have never visited the dentist will carry your pack for you as you explore the beauty of the Pine Barrens!

Silent Bob
11-21-2012, 12:02
I'll be joining the friday crew. I have to work saturday night. Maybe i'll meet some of you folks on my way out.

fishbait
11-21-2012, 13:35
Do we pay the park fee at the Atsion Ranger Station?

kayak karl
11-21-2012, 13:56
pay at Batsto. i think Atsion is closed for season. you can pay by phone 609-561-0024. just tell them you know Kaia :)

fishbait
11-21-2012, 16:27
I haven't found any weather forecasts for the Pine Barrens to be reliable. I've seen it rain all night when the forecast said zero percent chance of rain, and not a drop with 100% chance of rain.

Would be great to meet you if you can make it!

You had to mention the "R" word. Saw the weather forecast for Saturday, a chance of showers. :lol:

kayak karl
11-21-2012, 16:35
Hammonton, NJ 08037 says 0% thru Sunday :)

SilvrSurfr
11-21-2012, 17:06
Hammonton, NJ 08037 says 0% thru Sunday :)

And ya gotta love the predicted low for Saturday night of 27 degrees. That's prime sleeping weather!

Deadphans
11-21-2012, 17:55
Oi, that's definitely pushing my gear to the limit...I only have an overstuffed tewa breeze rated around 35.

Darn, last I checked it said 41 as the night time low.

SilvrSurfr
11-21-2012, 20:24
Looks like my friend, legendary curmudgeon KYBob, will also be joining us. One more for the party!

He will regale us with tales of how he uses KY Jelly to make whoopie slings.

fishbait
11-21-2012, 22:05
I really think meatorologists spin a wheel to produce a weather report.

jerzybears
11-22-2012, 10:46
Russell and I will leave our raingear home so that guarantees rain!

fishbait
11-22-2012, 11:16
I'll be hiking in from Batsto Village on the Batona Trail, Friday mid to late morning. I'll trust In-AccuWeather and leave the rain gear home as well.

Deadphans
11-22-2012, 12:01
Russell and I will leave our raingear home so that guarantees rain!

Lol.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! I am on the fence ATM. I am somewhat restricted by colder night time lows. If I do go, I will arrive around 10 or 11 and have to hike out early the next morning as I have a anniversary party to go to in elmwood park. Forgot about that.

SilvrSurfr
11-22-2012, 21:34
I'll be at Batsto noon on Saturday.

silentorpheus
11-22-2012, 21:37
I'll be at Batsto noon on Saturday.

Cool. I'll plan to meet you there. That way you can witness my collapse on the trail firsthand. That, an we can distribute the beverages. :)

matthiastrek
11-22-2012, 23:03
I will also be there at noon on Saturday. This is at the visitor center right?

SilvrSurfr
11-23-2012, 00:50
I will also be there at noon on Saturday. This is at the visitor center right?

Yep, Batsto Village. You just need a hammock, right? I'll bring my BIAS WWM Micro for you. Let me know if you need anything else. I know you like ultralight stuff, but that's the only ultralight hammock I have. My other 6 hammocks weigh considerably more than the 6.5 oz WWM.

And I'll be watching to make sure you don't hang it at a 15 degree angle!

matthiastrek
11-23-2012, 01:00
Yep, Batsto Village. You just need a hammock, right? I'll bring my BIAS WWM Micro for you. Let me know if you need anything else. I know you like ultralight stuff, but that's the only ultralight hammock I have. My other 6 hammocks weigh considerably more than the 6.5 oz WWM.

And I'll be watching to make sure you don't hang it at a 15 degree angle!

Thanks buddy, I know I'm going to learn a lot from you guys during this "hangout"

fishbait
11-23-2012, 09:54
I can toss a one GT UL into the car if needed

Wise Old Owl
11-23-2012, 11:07
Silver Surfr are you bring the dog?

silentorpheus
11-23-2012, 13:29
Does anyone planning on coming need any gear? Not that we necessarily have it, but if we know ahead of time it's possible people might have something that might help ...

SilvrSurfr
11-23-2012, 13:37
Silver Surfr are you bring the dog?

My dog Peanut barely walks, and he definitely doesn't hike!

njredneck
11-23-2012, 15:13
I am bringing my 16 cup coffee pot. There will be caffinated goodness for everyone.

JollyGreen
11-23-2012, 17:42
Gotta work, probably the last weekend for a while getting everything back to normal from Sandy. Worked 12 hours minimum every day since I got here the day after Sandy. Hope to be here for a while so any weekend from now on should be good, as long as I'm here. Besides all I have is a 40* TQ, I ordered a 20* but hasn't arrived yet, have fun everyone.

Deadphans
11-24-2012, 14:03
/cry

The weather forecast was too cold for my underquilt.

I know as I type this wanting to be in the woods, you are all out there...well as always, enjoy! I look forward to hearing about it all when you get back!

fishbait
11-24-2012, 16:07
Just got back from the weekend hang. We had a late night shower Friday, it was a mad scramble for the JerzyBears to get their hammocks covered and a quit run to get my pack under the tarp. Sometime in the night the wind picked up and one of my stakes broke free of the ground, I was wondering why ther was a cold wind ripping through the hammock last night. On my hike out I ran into njredneck and his two boys, then got to meet SilvrSurfr, silentorpheous, Bob and matthiastrek just outside Batsto Village as they were begin their hike in. Ohoulihan hiked out around sunrise. We also had ground dwellers setup just outside of the camp. I guess they felt ashamed for bringing tents, they bugged out early as well. Tonight is going to be a cold hang, man I wish I could have stayed a second night, but I have work Sunday. Hangin' with the JerzyBears and O'Houlihan was blast. Looking forward to the Winter NEHHA and the NJ Winter Hang.

Deadphans
11-24-2012, 18:24
Great to hear. Hopefully I will have an underquilt capable of handling those lower temperatures.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2012, 13:50
Don't feel bad - I underestimated how to keep Rugby (Flat Coated Retriever) warm, by one AM he was whimpering...So bagged everything and hiked back to the car by 3:30, got him warmed up and the car dash said 29 degrees. Awesome place to night hike.

Blankets and under pads did not work for him... so he will be left at home when it gets cold.

By the way, Huge thank you to the group - I did not know what to exspect- and everyone was awesome! Great time.

silentorpheus
11-25-2012, 16:39
Don't feel bad - I underestimated how to keep Rugby (Flat Coated Retriever) warm, by one AM he was whimpering...So bagged everything and hiked back to the car by 3:30, got him warmed up and the car dash said 29 degrees. Awesome place to night hike.

Blankets and under pads did not work for him... so he will be left at home when it gets cold.

By the way, Huge thank you to the group - I did not know what to exspect- and everyone was awesome! Great time.

Good to hear, Wise Old Owl. Or at least, good to hear that you made the right decision and acted the way you needed to for your furry little guy.

We woke up this morning, and you were gone. Bob said he was up a handful of times to relieve himself and each time he saw you up and walking around with Rugby - then the last time he got up you were gone.

We hoped that you decided to bail for Rugby's benefit, and not that we scared you off :shades:

Glad to hear Rugby is alright, and glad you could join. It was good having you around for even the short time you were there, and you're always welcome down in the Barrens anytime. Thanks for coming!

silentorpheus
11-25-2012, 16:40
Oh, and by the way, you left a few items behind in the dark. I have them in my pack, and if you want to PM me, I'll be happy to mail them to you.

Cheers!

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2012, 19:50
I appreciate that, I didn't want Rugby to wake anyone or I too tell, and end up in in a discussion, looking back I think I made a bad choice bringing him, perhaps I was under prepared for him... I was fine. When he whimpered - I saw early signs of frostbite, as he was limping - and that did it... I know the best way to get out of this is to exercise even tired muscles and heat up the circulation. He is doing fine and not happy with me.... getting lots of treats and a pain killer. Got home slept a few hours and he has been by my side.

fishbait
11-25-2012, 22:33
I just wanted to thank you all for introducing me to a new place to hang. The drive to Batsto wasn't long and the State Park was really nice. I'll have to hike the Batona Trail next time I'm there. I'm thinking around sometime in December for a return trip, I'm going to have to test my Winter Sock.

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2012, 07:56
What is a winter sock?

fishbait
11-26-2012, 08:12
What is a winter sock?

Basically an enclosed environment that you pull over your hammock to help protect you from the cold. It's like a bugnet made from RipStop Nylon or Canvas. I purchased mine from Dream-Hammock

Dream-Hammock Winter Sock (http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/~/category/id=4019211&offset=0&sort=normal)

Molly Mac Gear Winter Sock (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/mmg-hammock-sock/)

Warbonnet Traveler Sock (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php)

The Winter Socks help add anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees of additional warmth. Follow this link (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/search.php?searchid=8081586) to the subject weather protection thread

njredneck
11-26-2012, 16:40
Wanted to thank everyone for a fun weekend. The boys and I had a great time.

silentorpheus
11-26-2012, 17:00
Wanted to thank everyone for a fun weekend. The boys and I had a great time.

It was great meeting you, and nice to see some young faces come out for the fun. Hope we didn't permanently scar them ... when you put me, SilvrSurfr, and the JerzeyBears in close proximity we tend to get a little rowdy :laugh:

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2012, 17:24
It was great meeting you, and nice to see some young faces come out for the fun. Hope we didn't permanently scar them ... when you put me, SilvrSurfr, and the JerzeyBears in close proximity we tend to get a little rowdy :laugh:

Ditto. We had some great chuckles at the campfire and it was a true lift to my spirits, so my apologies if we ventured out of PG territory. It's a good thing that GLP was not there - it might have really gotten out of hand with the Hans and Franz routine and recent events in the news about Elmo from Sesame Street!

I'm permanently scarred by your 12-year-old-son with the Barry White baritone - I wish my voice was that deep! And all along the hike in, I was skeptical about your 16-cup coffee pot - it really was 16 cups! Seeing is believing.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2012, 17:39
On the hike out (or in, I don't recall), we saw four or five motorcyclists with rugged-looking Ural motorcycles with sidecars. I was highly intrigued by them, but didn't want to stop and quiz them about their rides.

When I got home I looked up Ural motorcycles. Turns out they're a Russian motorcycle (made in the Ural Mountains, as I surmised), with a quite fascinating history (also known as Cossack motorcycles).

According to Wikipedia, "The motorcycle was 'modeled after a late-1930s BMW sidecar bike called the R71, which Nazi Germany provided to the Soviet Union after the countries signed a nonaggression pact in 1939." The Red Army reverse-engineered the BMW design and ramped up production for WWII. Due to fears of the Nazi Blitzkrieg, the factory was moved to the Ural Mountains, in the town of Irbit, out of Nazi bombing range.

Definitely the weirdest thing I've seen in the Pine Barrens, and the history behind these cycles is rich. Read more at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMZ-Ural

http://www.imz-ural.com/

njredneck
11-26-2012, 18:11
I tell no lies about the size of my coffee pot. half a gallon of coffee makes cold days easier to handle. The really scarry thing is that he is not done growing yet and he has started eating alot more lately.

matthiastrek
11-26-2012, 23:46

Just made back to canuck territory. Great time hiking with silentorpheus, silvrsurfr, and kybob. njredneck, jerzybearz, and wise old owl also made the trip better. I hope I'm not missing anyone.

Anyways, thanks to y'all for all the hammocking advice. I really learned a lot! The biggest lesson is to not camp in the winter with just a sleeping pad. It SUCKS!