PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Hang 3 - Hawn State Park - Ste. Genevieve, MO - Jan. 19-20

Disco
11-20-2012, 16:58
Missouri Hang 3 - The 'It's-not-that-cold' Hang
Hawn State Park
Ste. Genevieve, MO
Jan. 19-20, 2013
Meet at the Whispering Pines trail head at 11am

This hang will be a little less hike-intensive than MOHANG2 with the camp area being just a couple miles from the trail head, so bring all the gear you need to stay warm.
Water is plentiful along the trail and right by the camp site.
Those that want to can set up camp, then go out to hike the beautiful trails there. We'll have plenty of time.

We'll be hiking a portion of the Whispering Pines trail and camping at one of two possible locations, depending on the size of group we have. Here is some more info on the trail: http://mostateparks.com/trails/hawn-state-park

Google Maps is not accurate. Follow these directions from Hwy 55. Take Hwy 32 (exit 150) West 11 miles. Turn Left on 144. Stay on 144 until you get to the park gates (dont turn on Hawn Park rd.). Once inside the park, follow the park road all the way around and down the hill until you can turn right into the "Day Use" area where the pavilions and playground is. There's a parking lot to the right. That's where we'll meet.

Post if you plan to attend. Hope to see many of you there!

hairbear
11-20-2012, 17:13
wouldnt miss it,count me in.says no camp fires, or cutting equipment,so bring your own stove.

Ewker
11-20-2012, 17:21
we won't be there then but this is a possibility for us over the Christmas Holidays

rngn
11-20-2012, 18:42
count me in

Gideon
11-20-2012, 19:06
I'll be there and so will Pyro2012. This one is practically in my backyard and it's one of the best trails I've ever hiked. I think we'll get there early, hike, and then setup camp where ever CB4 leads us; then we can hike a bit more in the afternoon. On Sunday Pyro2012 and I will definitely hit one of the loops.

Look forward to seeing all of you again and hopefully some new folks as well!

Gideon

Skygzr
11-23-2012, 16:47
there is a possibility my company party might be that weekend in Chicago, but if not I will be there for sure

rngn
11-23-2012, 17:05
Hey skygzr I hope you can make it ,I wanteded to talk to you about A section hike of the OT.

Skygzr
11-23-2012, 17:21
Hey skygzr I hope you can make it ,I wanteded to talk to you about A section hike of the OT.

looking forward to it, but in the meantime if you want to discuss anything, just give me a call or email

Gideon
11-25-2012, 20:28
Well, I tried out a new hammock and tarp in preparation for this group hang. I learned that how you hang your tarp is every bit as important as what type of tarp you have!

I also learned that cold pockets of air between your under quilt and hammock will totally negate the value of your under quilt. You can have the best, lowest rated UQ in the world and it won't work well if there's air pockets between the hammock and the UQ.

I have a solution for the UQ cold air pockets. I'm going to use some shock cord with a mitten hooks and cord locks to help hold the UQ in place. On Hammock Gears's UQ's, they have some tiny "D" rings along the top edges that are perfect for this. I'll be ready for January!!!

Gideon

hairbear
11-25-2012, 21:02
Well, I tried out a new hammock and tarp in preparation for this group hang. I learned that how you hang your tarp is every bit as important as what type of tarp you have!

I also learned that cold pockets of air between your under quilt and hammock will totally negate the value of your under quilt. You can have the best, lowest rated UQ in the world and it won't work well if there's air pockets between the hammock and the UQ.

I have a solution for the UQ cold air pockets. I'm going to use some shock cord with a mitten hooks and cord locks to help hold the UQ in place. On Hammock Gears's UQ's, they have some tiny "D" rings along the top edges that are perfect for this. I'll be ready for January!!!

Gideoncongrats on your new gear.

Disco
11-25-2012, 22:29
Gideon, sounds like you'll be prepared for the cold!

I've been testing a few things in my basement in preparation for the next hang. I got my new (bought from hairbear) Cuben tarp all lined out the way I want it with Dutch tarp flyz for the suspension, spectra cord and micro locs for the guy lines, and a cuben stuff sack. This is 18oz lighter than my HH tarp. I'm also experimenting with a wool over cover (just a surplus wool blanket pinned to over the top of my WBBB at this point).

I hope to score some down booties and a down jacket for Christmas too.

I'm looking forward to this hang!

Skygzr
11-26-2012, 07:52

Gideon

yep, it is all about the fit! I think we discussed if you could, the best way would be to sew the UQ to the Hammock and then this would prevent any gaps in either end. You would need one hammock/UQ for each temperature range! MORE GEAR :lol::lol:

digitizer101
11-27-2012, 17:08
I think I am in for this one. I will have to work on my tarp before then but there is plenty of time. At least I will get to test out my over, over, stuffed UQ that I built from 20 or so down jackets.

This is also one of my favorite trails in Missouri.

I may talk one of my sons into going along, but he might want to stick to the ground I haven't convinced him on the hammock yet.

I will keep everyone updated on my status once I know for sure if I can make it.

Over, Over stuffed UQ Playlist from YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTz9Mz8po_M&list=PLCAE74CE88C789885&feature=plpp_play_all)
If anyone is interested her are some videos of my Over, Over stuffed UQ

Disco
11-27-2012, 17:10
Cool, digitizer101. We'd be glad to have you along!

hairbear
11-27-2012, 17:30
Gideon, sounds like you'll be prepared for the cold!

I've been testing a few things in my basement in preparation for the next hang. I got my new (bought from hairbear) Cuben tarp all lined out the way I want it with Dutch tarp flyz for the suspension, spectra cord and micro locs for the guy lines, and a cuben stuff sack. This is 18oz lighter than my HH tarp. I'm also experimenting with a wool over cover (just a surplus wool blanket pinned to over the top of my WBBB at this point).

I hope to score some down booties and a down jacket for Christmas too.

I'm looking forward to this hang!sounds like you did a fine job making it into what works better for you.hope your happy with it.you cant even get r e i to deliver to the top of bell mountain lol.

Disco
11-27-2012, 17:35
Yeah, I always have to customize and make it my own. I love all the different cordage that's available. Spectra is awesome stuff, and I just love how easy the flyz make hanging the tarp. I cant wait to get out and use it!

Skygzr
11-27-2012, 19:09
it looks like my company party is the 19th in Chicago- unless everyone wants to move up or back the weekend, I will have to miss this one- believe me I would rather hang!

hairbear
11-27-2012, 21:11
it looks like my company party is the 19th in Chicago- unless everyone wants to move up or back the weekend, I will have to miss this one- believe me I would rather hang!you will be missed

Disco
11-27-2012, 21:29
Sorry you cant make it, Skygzr! Hope you can make the next one.

Clinton
11-27-2012, 21:39
I have my kids that weekend. I'm a no go.

fgtayl01
11-28-2012, 18:30
Never know about the weekend availability this far out but I'll get it on the calendar...as soon as I get a 2013 calendar that is.

hairbear
11-28-2012, 22:32
Never know about the weekend availability this far out but I'll get it on the calendar...as soon as I get a 2013 calendar that is.

2013 mayan calendars for sale on ebay...grin

Randy
11-28-2012, 22:39
I am in...

BullFrog
11-28-2012, 22:54
I'll try to make it. That's a great place. I've wanted to go there in winter for a while, I bet it's beautiful.

Disco
12-09-2012, 18:56
Hey guys, I have an idea for a little fun while we're on this outing. Since this is not too far after the holidays, how about a "re-gift" gift exchange? Bring a cheap piece of gear that you got for Christmas (or something you just want to get rid of) and we can put them all in a pile, then draw numbers for turns to each pick something out of the pile.

If anyone wants to participate, just bring something to give away, and you'll get something else to take home in return.

hairbear
12-09-2012, 20:36
Hey guys, I have an idea for a little fun while we're on this outing. Since this is not too far after the holidays, how about a "re-gift" gift exchange? Bring a cheap piece of gear that you got for Christmas (or something you just want to get rid of) and we can put them all in a pile, then draw numbers for turns to each pick something out of the pile.

If anyone wants to participate, just bring something to give away, and you'll get something else to take home in return.im in if i dont forget to pack something.been doing some dehydrating im eating good this time,not crunchin on crap like i did last hang.

Skygzr
12-09-2012, 20:38
im in if i dont forget to pack something.been doing some dehydrating im eating good this time,not crunchin on crap like i did last hang.

Guys, I so want to come, any chance of moving this up or back one weekend?

hairbear
12-09-2012, 20:44
i make apple cider every year from the trees in my yard.i will bring a bucket of it since the camp is so close.hot real cider is delicous

hairbear
12-09-2012, 20:49
Guys, I so want to come, any chance of moving this up or back one weekend?im open ,it depends on the mass opinion.id enjoy seeing you again.

Disco
12-09-2012, 21:03
Skygzr, I would love to move it up or back a weekend for you, but this is the only weekend I happen to have free in January. We'd have to move it to sometime in February if we move it.
It's up to you guys if you want to try and wait until everyone is able to make it. We can certainly reschedule.

rngn
12-09-2012, 21:11
Why dont we just have one in february to.

Disco
12-09-2012, 21:14
We could do one in Feb also. I'd like to have one every couple months at least.

Clinton
12-09-2012, 21:16
Any chance we can move the date to following weekend? I have kiddos that weekend. Just askin. I just got my uq tq from hammock gear too. Cant wait to try them out.

Clinton
12-09-2012, 21:17
Also just got the ula circuit and a bunch of goodies. Trekking sticks etc!

hairbear
12-09-2012, 21:24
id be down for one in early the next month,maybe we split the vehicle to two different trail heads,and start nobo on the o t.or anywhere for that matter im open.

hairbear
12-09-2012, 21:25
Any chance we can move the date to following weekend? I have kiddos that weekend. Just askin. I just got my uq tq from hammock gear too. Cant wait to try them out.congrats on all your new gear,i look forword to meeting you

hairbear
12-09-2012, 21:27
i bet you a dollar gideon is snoring right now :lol:sorry i couldnt resist.i usualy am when i get home.

hairbear
12-09-2012, 21:32
We could do one in Feb also. I'd like to have one every couple months at least.there are drivers that the amish use to go on vacation here.ten of them go for two weeks and when they get back each one pays 200 bucks.it would be a way for a bunch of us to get to the 100 mile wilderness and back.

Clinton
12-09-2012, 22:53
I am only free on the 2nd and 4th weekends of each month. Daddy duty calls on the others.

Disco
12-10-2012, 11:25
Let's keep this one at Jan. 19-20, then we can set one up in February for those that cant make this one.

Or I suppose those that cant make this date could set up an outing on their own for a different date.

Gideon
12-10-2012, 17:25
I just woke up...what were you all saying? Gideon

hairbear
12-10-2012, 19:48
I just woke up...what were you all saying? Gideonlmao somebody owes me a dollar!

Clinton
12-10-2012, 20:02
Ummmmm zzzzzzzzzz.
Chillaxin in the hammock watching old school!

digitizer101
12-11-2012, 14:20
I am still in for the 19th - 20th. I am a little worried about freezing my tail off though. Have never done a winter hang. I hope the Monster UQ I built actually works for me. Is anyone going out early or staying later in the week as this is a holiday weekend for some people?

Oh and I am in on the gift exchange idea (as long as it can be something used or homemade - I make an awesome backpacking cook set)

Disco
12-11-2012, 14:39
Something homemade is cool on the gift exchange. Whatever you guys want to bring.

hairbear
12-11-2012, 17:36
I am still in for the 19th - 20th. I am a little worried about freezing my tail off though. Have never done a winter hang. I hope the Monster UQ I built actually works for me. Is anyone going out early or staying later in the week as this is a holiday weekend for some people?

Oh and I am in on the gift exchange idea (as long as it can be something used or homemade - I make an awesome backpacking cook set)i hope i get first pick then,whats it weigh?

digitizer101
12-12-2012, 00:05
Hairbear, it weighs 1 lbs or 15.9 oz as my lighter was half empty:) (not including fuel bottle)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/cook_kit02_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19365&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
Setup for cooking

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/cook_kit03_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19366&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
All unpacked to show everything

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/cook_kit01_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19364&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
All packed away for backpack

This setup allows me to boil 3 cups of water, or dry bake two jumbo size muffins. It also has a mini skillet included if needed for a morning eggs and bacon.

fgtayl01
12-12-2012, 18:30
My wife's talking about taking a few days to a warmer climate over the MLK day weekend as a shared Christmas present to both of us. She'll be getting busy at her work the next week.

So I may be on a beach in the Caribbean over the 19-20th. But I can assure you that I'll try find in a hammock if I am.

rngn
12-12-2012, 18:34
Say its not so fred were going to miss you. maybe we will have some peace and quite this time.

hairbear
12-12-2012, 18:37
Hairbear, it weighs 1 lbs or 15.9 oz as my lighter was half empty:) (not including fuel bottle)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/cook_kit02_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19365&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
Setup for cooking

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/cook_kit03_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19366&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
All unpacked to show everything

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/cook_kit01_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19364&c=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
All packed away for backpack

This setup allows me to boil 3 cups of water, or dry bake two jumbo size muffins. It also has a mini skillet included if needed for a morning eggs and bacon.sweeeeeet..........bacon /the hiker scooby snack

fgtayl01
12-12-2012, 21:25
No such luck rngn, I'll only be a 1000 miles away. You'll still hear me.

rngn
12-12-2012, 21:50
No such luck rngn, I'll only be a 1000 miles away. You'll still hear me.

Thats to funny.

Chewy
12-13-2012, 13:29
Is there room for a couple of Hammock Forum Newbs? We are in Springfield MO. Hang a lot around these parts and would love to come and join ya!

hairbear
12-13-2012, 13:38
Is there room for a couple of Hammock Forum Newbs? We are in Springfield MO. Hang a lot around these parts and would love to come and join ya!these are a great bunch of guys,ive made some good friends,im sure we will all work real hard to make you feel comfortable.

Disco
12-13-2012, 13:39
Is there room for a couple of Hammock Forum Newbs? We are in Springfield MO. Hang a lot around these parts and would love to come and join ya!

You bet, Chewy! We'd love to have you along.

hairbear
12-13-2012, 13:47
errr ummm ahhh new guy has to gather wood, and do the dishes.yeah thats right yeah long standing tradition yeah yeah.:lol::lol:

Chewy
12-13-2012, 17:18
errr ummm ahhh new guy has to gather wood, and do the dishes.yeah thats right yeah long standing tradition yeah yeah.:lol::lol:

I was told the tradition was that everyone carried the "new guys" water and food! And was that a Carl, I mean Shug impression. Yeah I'm in for sure. As long as my hammock gear under quilt gets in in time. That reminds me I better get that ordered.

Chewy
12-13-2012, 17:19
Update on post: UQ ordered!!!!!

Gideon
12-13-2012, 20:35
It would be great to have you along Chewy! it's a good crew and Hawn state park is a great place! Hopefully we'll see you there!
Gideon

Chewy
12-13-2012, 21:16
Count me in!!! Talked to Adam from Hammock Gear today and he got me all geeked up. Ordered the UQ and ready to go. Hopefully we will have two from Springfield.

Disco
12-18-2012, 16:47
We're about a month out! I'm not sure which I'm more excited about, this hang or Christmas!

Chewy
12-18-2012, 23:40
Well being my first one ill say this hang for me.

hairbear
12-19-2012, 06:04
I was told the tradition was that everyone carried the "new guys" water and food! And was that a Carl, I mean Shug impression. Yeah I'm in for sure. As long as my hammock gear under quilt gets in in time. That reminds me I better get that ordered.not carl more the lieing guy from saturday night live lol.

Gideon
12-24-2012, 12:06
it's too bad we're not going in 2 days!! We'd likely have snow and some low temps for this part of Missouri!!

I'm going to try and get out for an overnighter so I can have my first hang in snow!

Spider
12-24-2012, 12:23
@Gideon, I was out last night. 22.5 degrees. Felt good with a little frost this morning. See you guys at Hawn SP.

Disco
12-24-2012, 13:47
It would be nice if we get some snow!

brown4914
12-24-2012, 19:38
I'm so glad i found this post! I would love to accompany y'all (assuming my gear arrives as scheduled)

Indeed this would be my very first hang outside of my local parks on a sunny day :D

hairbear
12-24-2012, 20:08
kill the snow idea,ive had my fill up here.i got snowed in,killing my o t hike plans last weekend.you didnt get anything in s t l?look forward to meeting you brown.

rngn
12-24-2012, 20:51
You missed A great trip hairbear,Pretty tuff though.

Disco
12-24-2012, 21:22
I'm so glad i found this post! I would love to accompany y'all (assuming my gear arrives as scheduled)

Indeed this would be my very first hang outside of my local parks on a sunny day :D

We'd love to have you along!

brown4914
12-25-2012, 19:04
kill the snow idea,ive had my fill up here.i got snowed in,killing my o t hike plans last weekend.you didnt get anything in s t l?look forward to meeting you brown.

No snow here, few frosty mornings and some questionable storms but nothing yet. Hopefully tonight!

I hope everyone has had an awesome Christmas! My family really hooked me up with gear I needed for backpacking, this January trip is looking mighty plausible folks

hairbear
12-25-2012, 19:38
@Gideon, I was out last night. 22.5 degrees. Felt good with a little frost this morning. See you guys at Hawn SP.look forward to seeing you again spider.

Randy
12-25-2012, 20:04
I am still planning on this, I guess I am one of those hoping for snow...That little bit last week was just a tease.

rngn
12-27-2012, 21:00
I was just thinking of going down to trail of tears state park a few days before the Missouri hang 3. Maybe the 17,18 and do some hiking if anyone is interested let me know.

Chewy
01-02-2013, 15:37
So once we go thru the park gates we turn left on park dr and then follow around to the "day use" area ? We are coming from Springfield so I'm assuming going up 44 to just past rolla would be the best route?

Disco
01-02-2013, 15:51
Stay on 144 until you get to the park gates (144 turns into Park Rd.). Once inside the park, follow the park road all the way around and down the hill until you can turn right into the "Day Use" area where the pavilions and playground is. There's a parking lot to the right. That's where we'll meet.

From Springfield, it looks like this is your best bet: http://goo.gl/maps/hh3OY

digitizer101
01-04-2013, 11:20
Well I am going to set up my whole winter rig this weekend and give it a test run in the backyard. I was hopping I would get The Ultimate Hang for Christmas so I could brush up on my system a little, but as luck would have it the package was stolen from my mailbox just a few days before Christmas. Oh well I guess there will be plenty of experienced hangers on this trek if I run into trouble.

I am really looking forward to this hang it will be my first winter hang. I have my maps, down gear, and plenty of coffee ready to go. I have my gift exchange all wrapped (no sneak peaks) and will be doing a rough pack this weekend just to make sure I am not carrying to much.

Do we have a compiled listed of everyone going yet?

Here is the best map I could find although I have hiked this before.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/hawn-state-park_thumb.gif (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19597&c=18)

See everyone it 2 weeks

Gideon
01-04-2013, 12:11
rngn; I would have taken a day off to hike with you but I leave on a business trip 1st thing Monday after the hike so I can't take time off "prior"...next time I will!!

Gideon

Gideon
01-04-2013, 12:13
So are we doing a gift exchange? I missed that?
Gideon

Disco
01-04-2013, 14:06
So are we doing a gift exchange? I missed that?
Gideon

Yeah, I think it'd be fun. If anyone wants to participate, just bring a piece of cheap gear that you want to re-gift. We'll figure out a little game to play. You'll get to get rid of something you don't want, and go home with something someone else didn't want :D

Chewy
01-04-2013, 14:50
Thanks CB4. I think I have it figured out. No real easy way from Springfield. Two weeks and I can't wait.

Chewy
01-04-2013, 14:52
Well I am going to set up my whole winter rig this weekend and give it a test run in the backyard. I was hopping I would get The Ultimate Hang for Christmas so I could brush up on my system a little, but as luck would have it the package was stolen from my mailbox just a few days before Christmas. Oh well I guess there will be plenty of experienced hangers on this trek if I run into trouble.

I am really looking forward to this hang it will be my first winter hang. I have my maps, down gear, and plenty of coffee ready to go. I have my gift exchange all wrapped (no sneak peaks) and will be doing a rough pack this weekend just to make sure I am not carrying to much.

Do we have a compiled listed of everyone going yet?

Here is the best map I could find although I have hiked this before.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/hawn-state-park_thumb.gif (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19597&c=18)

See everyone it 2 weeks

I'll bring my copy to the hang for you to look over!!!

digitizer101
01-04-2013, 16:11
Thanks Chewy, My wife said she was going to reorder the book but things have gotten a little busy around or house and are just now starting to slow down. I may just need to drop her a hint and remind her tonight.

Chewy
01-04-2013, 16:20
Thanks Chewy, My wife said she was going to reorder the book but things have gotten a little busy around or house and are just now starting to slow down. I may just need to drop her a hint and remind her tonight.

No problem ill bring it in case. Plus if you have iBooks or any online download ability you can get it fast and cheap. I bought it on my iPad for like three or four dollars. Plus you only have to wait 10 sec to get it. Good luck.

cavediver2
01-04-2013, 20:00
Wish i could make it I am about 50 miles from there or so. i would bring several of my clarks for people to look at maybe in the spring I can make it if there is one.

Gideon
01-04-2013, 21:28
At the trail head they almost always have a bunch of the maps; the one that shows the trails in black and white. I've never registered at the trail head without seeing a dozen or more maps in the box so you'll likely be able to snag one.

Sounds good and the re-gifting!

Gideon

Chewy
01-05-2013, 10:32
Do we have a list of people attending? I am for sure and hill hopper is 80/20.

Gideon
01-05-2013, 13:09
PYRO and I are a definite...

Chewy
01-05-2013, 17:55
Looks like this is what we have so far. (And yes I'm bored)

Coming:

CB4
Hairbear
Rngn
Gideon
Pyro
Digitizer
Randy
Chewy
Spider
Brown4914

Maybe:

Hillhopper
Bullfrog

BullFrog
01-06-2013, 13:41
I'll have to remain a maybe too, as I have a relative who's expecting around that time. Hoping it works out.

brown4914
01-07-2013, 23:13
Reading and rereading this thread in anticipation! HH Scout came in mail today, and without a doubt going to hang on my porch tonight to get testing it out ASAP. Look forward to meeting each one of you and exchanging the undesirables! Will post with update in a.m. of how first winter hang went over

Chewy
01-08-2013, 01:03
Reading and rereading this thread in anticipation! HH Scout came in mail today, and without a doubt going to hang on my porch tonight to get testing it out ASAP. Look forward to meeting each one of you and exchanging the undesirables! Will post with update in a.m. of how first winter hang went over

I was thinking the same thing. I was talking to hill hopper and we were thinking of driving up late Friday night and sneaking in a extra night. That's if his wife gives the ok!

hairbear
01-08-2013, 05:20
has anyone hiked the trails there ,what are they like.

brown4914
01-08-2013, 09:06
Update: my first hang was extremely warm and successful! Well, not entirely. Tried to hang on porch but the distances of poles weren't cooperating so I hung it in my basement off of a weight bench and a structural beam and the rest of the night is warm history :D :D I have Wednesday Thursday and Friday off this week (astoundingly) and I want nothing else than to plan a trip. I may even drive to whispering pines and hike through the loops just to get a feel for it, who knows

Disco
01-08-2013, 11:06
has anyone hiked the trails there ,what are they like.

There's not a lot of elevation changes, but there is a wide variety of trail surface. You go from climbing over boulders, to smooth dirt and fine gravel, to even sand in some spots. The majority of the trail follows the creek. Scenery is very nice.

Update: my first hang was extremely warm and successful! Well, not entirely. Tried to hang on porch but the distances of poles weren't cooperating so I hung it in my basement off of a weight bench and a structural beam and the rest of the night is warm history :D :D I have Wednesday Thursday and Friday off this week (astoundingly) and I want nothing else than to plan a trip. I may even drive to whispering pines and hike through the loops just to get a feel for it, who knows

Congrats on a successful first hang!

Gideon
01-08-2013, 13:38
For anyone who's coming from the west side of Hawn up along highly 32, you'll be driving right past a place called Pickle Springs. You can't camp there and it's only a small hiking loop but it's a very very beautiful hike with some neat rock/boulder cliffs, a nice little spring and some pretty trails; it really is worth it.

So if you get up Sunday and hike a bit and head back home (heading west on 32) you can turn off to Pickle Springs and it's only 10 minutes out of your way. You can walk the whole thing and enjoy it well in 2 hours. For guys like rngn and CB4 they could hike it in 40 minutes.

It was one of my favorite day hikes when my kid's were little and we still go there every year. It's also good for folks who can't handle the high miles but want a really nice hike. If you google it you'll see where it is in relationship to Hawn State Park. Even if you don't make it on this trip, it's definitely a place to add to your "places to go" list. So if you ever go back to Hawn you can build it into your itinerary.

Gideon

digitizer101
01-08-2013, 15:58
I have been wanting to hike Pickle Springs for years and always seem to get to busy to stop by. Well I am off work the 18th 19th 20th and 21st so I think I may stay through Monday at Hawn State Park and head over there first thing Monday morning. Or I may go down early check out Pickle Springs for the day and camp at Hawn Friday night. Chewy let me know if you and Hill hopper are planning on a Friday night hang.

Looking forward to meeting everyone:D

Chewy
01-08-2013, 16:04
I have been wanting to hike Pickle Springs for years and always seem to get to busy to stop by. Well I am off work the 18th 19th 20th and 21st so I think I may stay through Monday at Hawn State Park and head over there first thing Monday morning. Or I may go down early check out Pickle Springs for the day and camp at Hawn Friday night. Chewy let me know if you and Hill hopper are planning on a Friday night hang.

Ok I will. Im open for whatever just waiting on Brian to get the ok. If he doesn't go I'll go up Friday for sure. I'll keep you posted.

Chewy
01-09-2013, 09:16
I know this will change 10 times until next weekend but now they are call for a low of 18 Friday night and a 60% chance of snow. So make sure you are prepared for cooold!!

rngn
01-09-2013, 19:31
Hey guys im now planning on doing a section hike on the OT after we get done with the hang on sunday if anyone is interested . I was planning about 33 miles or so nothing set in stone but if your interested and your already going to be at the hang why not . pm me and we will talk

Chewy
01-10-2013, 10:31
Weather has already changed!!

Chewy
01-10-2013, 20:46

I sent you a pm with my phone number to call and we can talk about possible Friday night head start.

Randy
01-11-2013, 01:18
I am still in for Sat and Sun. . coming from St Louis....

Chewy
01-13-2013, 09:15
Well if this keeps up ill be taking the 40 deg UQ. All my stuff is laid out down stairs and everyday they change the weather to be warmer I change my pack load. I think I'll wait until thur to look again!!!!!

Chewy
01-13-2013, 19:32
In the original post it said water was plentiful. I'm planning on carrying very little water so just wanted to make sure. I'm sure getting excited. A couple of us are possibly coming up Friday to grab a extra night if anyone else is interested.

Disco
01-13-2013, 19:39
Yep, the majority of the trail is along a creek.

Chewy
01-13-2013, 21:48
Yep, the majority of the trail is along a creek.

Great water filter loaded!

Disco
01-14-2013, 10:21
We are less than a week away!

Just a reminder, we are meeting at the parking lot near the day use area at 11:00am

We should make it to our site in time to have lunch after we make camp.

See you all Saturday!

digitizer101
01-14-2013, 15:11
Packed all my gear last night and put together all my food for the weekend. Winter camping sure is bulkier then summer camping. My pack is crammed full of stuff and I don't feel like I packed that much.

Disco
01-14-2013, 15:19
yeah, I'm moving back up to my big framed pack for this trip so I can more easily fit the extra clothes and insulation. Good thing we're only hiking a couple miles.

Chewy
01-14-2013, 18:40
Packed all my gear last night and put together all my food for the weekend. Winter camping sure is bulkier then summer camping. My pack is crammed full of stuff and I don't feel like I packed that much.

Still planning on meeting you Friday. I'll call in the next couple of days to set a time and place.

Chewy
01-14-2013, 18:42
Keep an eye on the weather in the last week the low as raised 13 degrees! But that being said I have too much new stuff to try out so it might as well be 10 below!!

brown4914
01-14-2013, 20:43
I'm getting so excited for my first group hang! My gear needs to get here quick or I won't have any UQ for this! If that's the case on Friday night then I'll have to cram together a makeshift UQ to last me a night just to make it. I will not miss this adventure for anything!

Forecast looks like clear skies, about 30* with 15 mph gusts for Saturday night, could be much worse!

Chewy
01-14-2013, 21:18
I'm getting so excited for my first group hang! My gear needs to get here quick or I won't have any UQ for this! If that's the case on Friday night then I'll have to cram together a makeshift UQ to last me a night just to make it. I will not miss this adventure for anything!

Forecast looks like clear skies, about 30* with 15 mph gusts for Saturday night, could be much worse!

If my quilt comes in time you can use my thermarest if you need to. Neoair

brown4914
01-14-2013, 23:14
Thats extremely generous, if it comes down to that I will definitely take you up on that offer! Thanks! Would that negate all need for an UQ down to 20*? If so what would you rate it down to?

Chewy
01-15-2013, 08:26
Thats extremely generous, if it comes down to that I will definitely take you up on that offer! Thanks! Would that negate all need for an UQ down to 20*? If so what would you rate it down to?

Yeah. I just used it and a 3/4 length blue pad from Walmart I have for different things. Got down to 18 with no problems.

brown4914
01-15-2013, 09:38
Wow awesome, didn't know inflatable pads insulated like that. I got a full length ccf egg shape pad from Walmart and the radiant double bubble pad from HH. Haven't been able to test those two out yet, which should be on top of the other?

Chewy
01-15-2013, 10:26
Wow awesome, didn't know inflatable pads insulated like that. I got a full length ccf egg shape pad from Walmart and the radiant double bubble pad from HH. Haven't been able to test those two out yet, which should be on top of the other?

Absolutely no clue!! I always put the thin Walmart pad down first then the neoair only because it fits better that way. I don't know that it matters.

Chewy
01-15-2013, 10:36

There is actually a pretty good thread on pads going on right now on the forums. This will be my first hang with a underquilt too if it comes in. I've used pads since I started and other than a little trouble getting situated I've never had any major issues. Been down to 15 degrees.

Gideon
01-15-2013, 19:24
A total guess on my part but I'd put the air closest to the body; the CCF outward as it would seem to be more of a barrier than the inflatable. Your body will warm the air pocket close to you, the CCF should help retain that heat.

Looks like they're predicting a low of 26* Saturday night; but Saturday day looks like it'll be wonderful. Sunday will stay on the cooler side, just a bit over freezing; as long as the wind stays down it'll be great!

Pyro and I are really looking forward to meeting you and seeing some new old friends! Started going over the gear last night and making sure our cook kits were "together". I'm sending pyro (my son) with his own cook kit this time so he's more independent; he'll like that!

See you all in a few days!
Gideon

fgtayl01
01-15-2013, 20:35
Good trick Gideon. Get yourself some new cook gear and pass the old down to Pyro.

Been reading the plans. Sure which I was going with you all but my wife's Christmas present (Jamaica) is this weekend. You'll have a blast.

Jamaica's weather is projected to be high 84 low 74 for my trip. So I won't be needing an UQ. Just a hammock by the beach...some bug spray and sun lotion.

Looking forward to reading your trip report guys.

Chewy
01-15-2013, 23:46

Well it's not looking good for my UQ from HG. Still haven't received and word and I was supposed to have it by tomorrow. I guess there is still overnight delivery but I'm a little nervous.

brown4914
01-16-2013, 00:04
Not a problem! I have no doubt that I'll macgyver something warm

Gideon
01-16-2013, 08:02
Wally World blue pads...bulky to carry but relatively light weight and not awfully expensive. They'll do the job if you can manage to stay "situated" on them during the night.

CB4; do you know if there's a fire pit at the campsite? The park doesn't allow open fires per-say but I thought maybe there's a fire pit at the primitive camp site? Just hoping...

Enjoy the day!
Gideon

Chewy
01-16-2013, 08:55

If mine don't come in I can borrow one from a local hanger ( unless I can talk him into going) and bring the neoair. We will figure it out for sure.

Disco
01-16-2013, 10:09
CB4; do you know if there's a fire pit at the campsite? The park doesn't allow open fires per-say but I thought maybe there's a fire pit at the primitive camp site? Just hoping...

Gideon

Yes, there is a primitive ring at the site. We will have a fire.

Chewy
01-16-2013, 12:41
Yes, there is a primitive ring at the site. We will have a fire.

Alright that will be great. I thought we were out of luck on a fire.

Disco
01-16-2013, 16:21
I setup a page on facebook and a twitter account, so we can chat easier, or keep in touch, etc.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MO-Hang/447875285282870
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MissouriHang or @MissouriHang

BullFrog
01-16-2013, 21:48
Who is going to be there Friday night? I won't be able to do Saturday but Friday is a possibility. Hopefully I'll catch some of you before I leave.

Chewy
01-16-2013, 21:50
Who is going to be there Friday night? I won't be able to do Saturday but Friday is a possibility. Hopefully I'll catch some of you before I leave.

Chewy is in for Friday.

Chewy
01-16-2013, 23:15

We are meeting down there between 230 & 300 Friday afternoon.

hairbear
01-17-2013, 06:08
A total guess on my part but I'd put the air closest to the body; the CCF outward as it would seem to be more of a barrier than the inflatable. Your body will warm the air pocket close to you, the CCF should help retain that heat.

Looks like they're predicting a low of 26* Saturday night; but Saturday day looks like it'll be wonderful. Sunday will stay on the cooler side, just a bit over freezing; as long as the wind stays down it'll be great!

Pyro and I are really looking forward to meeting you and seeing some new old friends! Started going over the gear last night and making sure our cook kits were "together". I'm sending pyro (my son) with his own cook kit this time so he's more independent; he'll like that!

See you all in a few days!
Gideon Plus one air in for more warmth.

digitizer101
01-17-2013, 08:49

I am also heading down on Friday. Meeting up in the parking lot around 2:30 - 3:00. I will probably pack up Saturday morning and meet up with everyone else Saturday morning around 11:00 in the parking lot.

See everyone soon

Disco
01-17-2013, 10:36
Current Weather Forecast for Ste G.:

Fri Jan 18
H 47°
L 32°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:0%
WIND:S at 14 mph

Sat Jan 19
H 55°
L 26°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:0%
WIND:SW at 17 mph

Sun Jan 20
H 34°
L 23°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:10%
WIND:N at 12 mph

Chewy
01-17-2013, 13:12

Brown. My UQ is in. I will throw my neoair in the car for you.

Disco
01-17-2013, 14:46
Don't forget to bring a piece of cheap gear to give away in our exchange if you want to participate!

Gideon
01-17-2013, 19:41
CB4; how far is the hike to the campsite?

I have my gifts already wrapped; ones a surplus army sleeping bag liner that weights about 13 lbs ;)

Seriously I've got mine ready to go; uber lightweight so no one's burdened on the way out!

Also, I found the secret to truly ultralight backpacking....it's bringing a 13 year old son who's taller than you and has a belly full of fire :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it gentleman!
Gideon

Disco
01-17-2013, 20:19
I belive it's about 2 miles.

Pyro2012
01-17-2013, 21:24
Hey everyone! Just looking at the recent posts for this upcoming hang. I can't wait! It'll only be my second hammock trip but I know I'll love it! Can't wait to see some of you guys and meet new people! See you in two days!

BullFrog
01-17-2013, 22:54
Looks like I'll be able to come down Friday. Are we hiking in to the campsite Friday? And are we allowed to have a fire?

Chewy
01-17-2013, 22:58
Looks like I'll be able to come down Friday. Are we hiking in to the campsite Friday? And are we allowed to have a fire?

We were just going to walk in somewhere and camp Friday then hike out and join up with the others at 1100 I'm not sure of the exact plan for Friday cause I'm new to the area. Just gonna meet between 230 and 300 in the same parking lot.

Gideon
01-17-2013, 23:07
Bullfrog; the park doesn't allow open fires, however, at the primitive camp sites there are fire rings; it's okay there. Elsewhere you need to use a stove.

Gideon

Gideon
01-17-2013, 23:16
CB4; from the trail head, are you traveling east on the loop to reach the campsite? I've hiked Hawn a lot but can't for the life of me think of where you're heading.

Thanks
Gideon

Disco
01-17-2013, 23:37
If you take the loop counterclockwise from the trailhead there is a spot between connector 1 and 2. It's not designated on the map, but its an obvious campsite.
We can camp there or press on and go to the designated site on connector 3.

Disco
01-17-2013, 23:38
Hey everyone! Just looking at the recent posts for this upcoming hang. I can't wait! It'll only be my second hammock trip but I know I'll love it! Can't wait to see some of you guys and meet new people! See you in two days!

Welcome to the forum! It will be nice to hang with you again, Pyro!

brown4914
01-18-2013, 00:04
Brown. My UQ is in. I will throw my neoair in the car for you.

Awesome! Thanks man, will be very much appreciated.

Beautiful new trail, great group of guys, gift exchange, weekend like this is long overdue, about 19 years overdue haha. See y'all Saturday!

digitizer101
01-18-2013, 00:09
Found a link that shows all of the trails and links. It does not show the camp between connector 1 and 2 as CB4 mentioned.

http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/5/b/7/e/highres_83903422.jpeg

I have stayed at the site on connector 3 once before and I believe that there was a fire ring there. I have also never hiked the White Oak loop.

Chewy
01-18-2013, 16:55
Bullfrog didn't know if your still coming but we are up at the campsite on connector 3.

Gideon
01-18-2013, 17:38
wow, you guys are in the woods and on the forum...something just doesn't seem right about that!!! :rolleyes:

I'm still at work trying to get things done so I don't have to worry about anything this weekend!!

Enjoy your evening guys!

Gideon

brown4914
01-18-2013, 19:03
I was really sweatin it whether or not I would have a sleeping bag for this trip but it was on my porch when I got off work... Phew.

For the few already down there, enjoy your hang!

I'll see you guys tomorrow morning!

Gideon
01-20-2013, 20:16
Well what a GREAT hike and time in the woods! I'm really sorry we didn't all get you meet you Chewy and Brown!! And RNGN, where were you?

Anyway, it was perfect weather, great fellowship and the hike today was simply the best. Digitizer, Hairbear, Pyro and I finished the one loop and even stopped to cook some lunch along the way. Scenery was great; Hawn is definitely one of the best hiking destinations in Missouri...no doubt.

Ended up with 7 and even had a gift exchange which was great. I finally met someone who truly is compulsive when it comes to stoves so I now feel much better ;)

I'm sure we'll all post some pics later but I have to go now; I have to do a quick test burn with a new stove...I mean I have to pack for business travel in the morning :cool:

Thanks to Disco4 for organizing the whole thing ;)

Gideon

Chewy
01-20-2013, 21:16
I had a wonderful time with digitizer and bullfrog on Friday night. Just a great camp site, great company, and a beautiful park. Really nice to meet hairbear on Saturday morning. Sorry I had to miss Saturday night. Was really bummed but had a pop up at the last minute ( and on the way home I found out my little girl had to go to the doctor and my grandmother was in the hospital). Both are fine but just a crazy weekend. Bullfrog I hope all is well with your sister in laws baby!!! Congrats on that. Looking forward to getting together soon. Thanks again to digitizer and bullfrog for a great night. Thanks to hammock gear for the under quilt.

brown4914
01-20-2013, 21:21
Was sad I didn't see anyone but had a great time! Typed up full length report here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66687

Disco
01-20-2013, 21:34
Hey guys, I decided not to stay another night so I could spend some time with the fam. I was there until about 4pm though. I hiked the White Oaks loop and hit all the connectors while doing a bunch of exploring. I had a great weekend, and it was great seeing everyone again! Oh, and thanks for helping me choose a trail name!

Here's the trip report! http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=917884#post917884

Clinton
04-03-2013, 11:17
Bullfrog; the park doesn't allow open fires, however, at the primitive camp sites there are fire rings; it's okay there. Elsewhere you need to use a stove.

Gideon

Gideon, me and gf are going out on this trail friday evening to saturday afternoon.

Where is a good place to camp. Not sure if we will build a fire though but if we do we would need a campsite. Where and how far in are they located?
If we do not where is a good spot to hang? If you can please post GPS coords from google earth. that will get me close.