PDA

View Full Version : Dangerbird top cover/netting

Yojimbo
11-23-2012, 17:50
Stupid question (maybe)
I was originally under the impression that one could use either the top cover OR the bug netting but not both since they share the same zipper. But in looking at some photos, it appears that you can use both simultaneously. Any one known which way it is? Or is this a custom mod? It would be nice to use both, be able to have part of the cover open while still being bug free.

PapaSmurf
11-23-2012, 18:25
Stupid question (maybe)
I was originally under the impression that one could use either the top cover OR the bug netting but not both since they share the same zipper. But in looking at some photos, it appears that you can use both simultaneously. Any one known which way it is? Or is this a custom mod? It would be nice to use both, be able to have part of the cover open while still being bug free.

Not a stupid question at all. They do indeed run on the same zipper.
Folks have done a 80/20 kinda thing where they've zipped the overcover up to their shoulders and then zipped the net down to meet it.

Two problems with this.
#1 - While it's possible to get the 2 zippers fairly close, they still leave a little gap and forcing them any closer together puts strain on the zipper.

#2 - When the net & overcover are zipped this way, what to do with all the excess netting or overcover material?

Yojimbo
11-23-2012, 21:13
Ok thanks for the info.

Here's a related question
How feasible would it be to add a screened window opening to the top cover that can be zipper close. Similar to windows on tents.

Boomer
12-01-2012, 17:22
Or, what about a second double zipper system, parallel to the first? Then you could put the top cover partially open and have it zip up from either end?

Kodaking
12-01-2012, 17:34
What would be the purpose of NOT having the overcover zipped all the way? The warm toasty air would break free!

Yojimbo
12-01-2012, 17:48
To help regulate temperature. To see out and not let the bugs in. To see the Sun rise.

Throkda
12-01-2012, 18:03
I've also used the overcover partially zipped to take a daytime nap and keep the sun out of my eyes. As to what to do with the excess material, you can fold what's left of the overcover back on itself, and drape the mosquito netting over the top of it, securing the far tip with the velcro tab. That's why you designed it that way, right, Papasmurf? ;)

Kodaking
12-01-2012, 23:36
To help regulate temperature. To see out and not let the bugs in. To see the Sun rise.

yikes, if it was still warm enough for bugs I would burn alive in a hammock with the overcover :eek::laugh: I would take a peak at the sun then flip around and sleep in "darkness"!

PapaSmurf
12-01-2012, 23:52
I've also used the overcover partially zipped to take a daytime nap and keep the sun out of my eyes. As to what to do with the excess material, you can fold what's left of the overcover back on itself, and drape the mosquito netting over the top of it, securing the far tip with the velcro tab. That's why you designed it that way, right, Papasmurf? ;)

Yes, the velcro tabs are exactly for keeping the end of the net/overcover in place without having the zippers all the way up.

I almost never sleep with the overcover zipped all the way closed. For me, leaving a small open area at the end helps control condensation inside the hammock. Whatever extra fabric I have at the end just gets tucked up over the ridgeline and seems to stay out of the way pretty good.

unm1136
12-02-2012, 03:11
I just got back from a hunting trip where I took my DB68, HG Phoenix 20*, 2QZQ UQP. 19* on the 3rd day, snow on the second day, wind, rain, fog. I was using a Slumberjack 20* sythetic bag. No complaints until after I woke up with the overcover dripping on me. I spent the rest of my trip zipping my overcover to my chin and just zonking out. I use small rubber bands to hold my tree straps neatly coiled, and I think that if I partially zip the bugnet and then use the rubber bands to bind the netting together I can lay the bugnet over the overcover outside the hammock. I can zip the overcover to my chin, have a bit of a wind break from the bugnet, and sleep well. Did I foget to mention that I didn' use a tarp on this trip?

pat

Boomer
12-02-2012, 09:45
Ok thanks for the info.

How feasible would it be to add a screened window opening to the top cover that can be zipper close. Similar to windows on tents.

This seems like a pretty good idea. Maybe even just a couple of small screen "windows", so that some of the air can exchange & reduce condensation.

Anyone have experience with a 'breathable' fabric overcover, like momentum 50 vs. nylon?

OutandBack
12-07-2012, 13:07
This seems like a pretty good idea. Maybe even just a couple of small screen "windows", so that some of the air can exchange & reduce condensation.

Anyone have experience with a 'breathable' fabric overcover, like momentum 50 vs. nylon?

When the weather conditions are right for condensation I find that even netting does not breath enough to prevent it. When I was using a WBBB in winter it would snow on me every morning from the netting. Venting to open air has been the only way I've been able to eliminate a frosty morning.
YMMV

michiganhanger
01-06-2013, 21:28
I understand the netting and over cover can be pulled back and stored. Is It possible to remove say the over cover and leave it behind for weight savings when it is not needed?

mattyg
01-07-2013, 01:22
I understand the netting and over cover can be pulled back and stored. Is It possible to remove say the over cover and leave it behind for weight savings when it is not needed?

Only with scissors.

macinnisl
01-08-2013, 15:40

Hummm... Perhaps you have an idea for dangerbird 2.0. I am waiting on mine still but a cover that zips out for the summer months seems like a good idea if it can be done without adding too much weight.

michiganhanger
01-08-2013, 21:10
Hummm... Perhaps you have an idea for dangerbird 2.0. I am waiting on mine still but a cover that zips out for the summer months seems like a good idea if it can be done without adding too much weight.
I like the idea of the cover but I don't really winter camp. I wonder if PapaSmurf can do a danger bird with the cover removable. This is why I am torn between the DB and the Gnome. If the answer is (PapaSmurf insert a yes here) I will buy one tomorrow :D

PapaSmurf
01-09-2013, 08:51
A removable overcover is on my to-do list, but I ain't been working on that list lately.

It wouldn't be a zippered cover but an add-on overcover for those who'd like to leave it at home. Soon as someone orders one, it'll be moved from my to-do list to my order list, where it gets much more attention. (hint, hint :))

Problems with making the net and cover removeable:

Zipper availability - You'd need a find a 120" or 132" #3 seperating zipper. I've only found one company so far that will custom make these zippers. My cost for these custom zippers would be just over $60 and I don't think that's really sellable.

Because of the stretch involved with stitching the zippers on the bias of the net and overcover the lengths of each zipper half change just slightly. This slight stretch is accounted for with the current DB design. If they were removable, each of the 6 zipper halfs would need to be exactly the same length, right down to the tooth or things wouldn't line up correctly.

Miguel
01-09-2013, 10:10
A removable overcover is on my to-do list, but I ain't been working on that list lately.

It wouldn't be a zippered cover but an add-on overcover for those who'd like to leave it at home. Soon as someone orders one, it'll be moved from my to-do list to my order list, where it gets much more attention. (hint, hint :))

Problems with making the net and cover removeable:

Zipper availability - You'd need a find a 120" or 132" #3 seperating zipper. I've only found one company so far that will custom make these zippers. My cost for these custom zippers would be just over $60 and I don't think that's really sellable.

Because of the stretch involved with stitching the zippers on the bias of the net and overcover the lengths of each zipper half change just slightly. This slight stretch is accounted for with the current DB design. If they were removable, each of the 6 zipper halfs would need to be exactly the same length, right down to the tooth or things wouldn't line up correctly.

So in your mind's eye what might this removable cover look like? How might it attach? I would LOVE something like I am imagining for the Darien UL I plan on ordering. Originally I have been planning to order a sock with it but this may be be a lighter, easier to use, alternative. In fact, if you could give me a hint as to what it may look like I think I may be willing to place an order for both right now.

Miguel

Hotdogman
01-09-2013, 10:20
What kind of bugs are flying around in the snow? Ive never seen bugs below forty degrees, at least not flying bugs.

Miguel
01-09-2013, 10:46
Ok thanks for the info.

Here's something similar....seems like a netting mod would be even easier.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=63&c=3

Miguel

PapaSmurf
01-09-2013, 11:45
This is rough and not completely thought through, but........

I'd like to try something like this (on the Darien UL). The overcover is sized exactly the same as the net. There is a strip of fabric approx 8-10" wide around all 4 sides with a shock cord channel to accommodate 1/16" shock cord. I'm not convinced yet that it would actually require the shock cord. Each of the 4 coners are overlapped forming a pocket. The end pockets fit over the hammock peaks, while the side pockets can hold a heavy item (shoe, water bottle, etc) to weigh the sides down. For windy/stormy weather, the side pockets would be fitted with a tie-out loop for cinching down a little more secure. The sides at the asym points could also be hooked to the UQ corners. This may actually help keep the UQ in the proper asym arrangement, but I don't know. The fabric strips along each side should open up enough to wrap around the edges of the hammock, sealing against cold drafts. There would be a Nanoseeum window at each end for ventilation, yet in a protected area so that a breeze can't easily get in.

The whole cover should be able to be built with 3yds of 60" wide fabric + a little nanoseeum & any hardware required.

The DangerBird overcover would need to be slightly different on the sides to accommodate the existing tie-outs on the hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/overcover_top_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19646&c=4) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/overcover_bottom_thumb.png (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=19647&c=4)

The name for this design?
I'm thinking the Lunchlady - "sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe"

Disclaimer - I haven't tried this exact design yet, just ran tests on a couple similar overcovers. This design is just sitting around on my to-do list.

Brute1100
01-09-2013, 12:03
That sounds like a winner...

OutandBack
01-09-2013, 13:53
Hi PapaSmurf,
I'm a condensation machine and have had no luck with netting.
Once it starts collecting frost it seals up as tight as ripstop.
A small opening at the head end is the only think that has worked for me.
What about considering a small opening at the head end with a flap? Just a thought...

PapaSmurf
01-09-2013, 14:06
Hi PapaSmurf,
I'm a condensation machine and have had no luck with netting.
Once it starts collecting frost it seals up as tight as ripstop.
A small opening at the head end is the only think that has worked for me.
What about considering a small opening at the head end with a flap? Just a thought...

Good point. Will have to think about how to open the head end with a flap and make it look nice and finished.

OutandBack
01-09-2013, 15:47
Good point. Will have to think about how to open the head end with a flap and make it look nice and finished.

I know you have seen this picture of my winter Gnome before.
I have been doing quite a bit of condensation testing in the backyard.
I've got about 16 nights in this hammock since I got it. An opening on the head end no bigger than this is all that's required to pretty much stop any frosting on the inside.

hth

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8253212494_89ec552b57_c.jpg

Stormstaff
01-11-2013, 12:29
Papa already beat me a few posts ago.

I was looking at being his "test subject" for a Freebird (Dangerbird w/ removable parts) but things didn't line up right.

This man is a genius. Give him time and he'll find the perfect solution. :)