PDA

View Full Version : custom LiteOwl

flatline
11-24-2012, 17:11
i picked up my custom LiteOwl this past monday and i love it.
Marty put a spreader bar across the head end and used camo 1.1 rs.
slowhike uses a similar DIY spreader/trekking pole. that was a great idea, thank you.
i have only been able to take a nap so far. i thought i had slept about a half hour, but my wife and watch said 2.5 hrs.
that spreader bar is the bomb, i haven't tried any of my UQs on her yet, (my nap was in an old synthetic GI mummy)
but i'm sure the UQs will fit fine. the way the spreader bar opens up the hammock, will help me adjust my TQ
and make it easier to tuck it under my shoulders.
i really like this hammock set up and i like WindernessLogics stuff!
23oz total (hammock, poles, whoopiees, strap and bag). the double ended stuff sack has a pole storage pouch.

dragon360
11-24-2012, 18:38
Beautiful piece of gear there flatine - lucky man!

Barlutti
11-24-2012, 19:56
man that looks great :) and comfy

always so many good ideas on here

flatline
11-24-2012, 21:53
Beautiful piece of gear there flatine - lucky man!
thank you. i'm not usually a "camo guy" but in this case i think it's a hansom hammock.

man that looks great :) and comfy

always so many good ideas on here
it's very comfortable and slowhike's spreader bar really makes it "bed-like".

Trees4Me
11-25-2012, 01:27
I'm not a big fan of camo either, but the Digi looks great! Nice set up!

Catavarie
11-25-2012, 01:44
A couple of quick questions. Do you still find the stretch sides neccessary with the spreaderbar? And does it sleep more like a bridge or a gathered end? Curious minds want to know. :cool:

flatline
11-25-2012, 08:14
I'm not a big fan of camo either, but the Digi looks great! Nice set up!
thank you brother.

A couple of quick questions. Do you still find the stretch sides neccessary with the spreaderbar? And does it sleep more like a bridge or a gathered end? Curious minds want to know. :cool:
with the stretcher bar, i use the drawstring at the foot but not at the head end
the head drawstring is there in case i want to use it w/o the stretcher.
as for how it sleeps, i have never slept in a bridge hammock, so the best i can do is compare it to my WBBB.
except i sleep/nap with my head in the center, so i'm at a simi asym lay.
we tried a version with a spreader at the foot end also and i didn't like it.
it is the MOST comfortable hammock i have ever slept in (i've said that about all the Owls and it's true).

i'm gonna see if Marty will sell me the grommets and bar separately so i can sew them onto my NightOwl.
and maybe make some half size organizer for each end of the bar.

ibgary
11-25-2012, 09:49
Looks very nice. I think ill try that setup with my Lawson.

CJK
11-25-2012, 09:50
Do you have any pictures of this hammock with anyone in it? I'm just wondering about the occupied shape. Thanks.

flatline
11-25-2012, 14:40
Do you have any pictures of this hammock with anyone in it? I'm just wondering about the occupied shape. Thanks.

not as of yet, i just left me old army mummy in there to eight it down on that windy day. i can assure you that there is plenty of room.

i'll try to get someone to shoot me in the hammock.

i'm 6'1" 200lb the bar is about 6" above and behind my head and my feet are in the box.

here is a pic of me in my NightOwl now just imagine the hammock being held open about 6" above my head.

deerfu
02-14-2013, 20:06
I've never seen this mod before. How'd it work for ya? Did you get any pics?

BigA
02-14-2013, 20:21
I am a fan of camo and this is a good looking piece of fabric!

flatline
02-14-2013, 22:10
I've never seen this mod before. How'd it work for ya? Did you get any pics?
i have yet to get any photos with a person on board. sorry. i've been recovering from lumbar lam. surgery.
i'll get some soon.

I am a fan of camo and this is a good looking piece of fabric!
thanks Big A. it looks really good with the grey foliage quilts too.
how's Little Big A doing?

ricecg
03-04-2013, 09:23
Is marty going to offer this as an option?

Terry_Dodson
06-16-2013, 13:55
Looks really good. Does it open up your view more? Did you have to reinforce the whole edge (webbing) or just sew on the loops the pole goes thru?

flatline
06-17-2013, 21:31
Is marty going to offer this as an option?
I think he will be adding the "Slowhike" mod to the sight soon? I'll have to ask him about that.

Looks really good. Does it open up your view more? Did you have to reinforce the whole edge (webbing) or just sew on the loops the pole goes thru?
It really doesn't change the view much. On the head side the view is a little better but on the high side I can't reach up and pull the material down to look over. Additionally the spreader bar allows me to sleep with my whole body on one side of the hammock by changing either my feet to the head side or my head over to the feet side, not just in the asym position. I like the way it holds the fabric away from my head and face.
Here are a couple of pix Marty snapped while I was chillin'.
http://www.wildernesslogics.com/images/NEW%20TARP%20026.jpg
The OWLS are so well constructed that no additional reinforcement is needed for this mod.
http://www.wildernesslogics.com/images/NEW%20TARP%20028.jpg
images taken from WildernessLogics (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/NEW-TARP-NT.htm)

ricecg
06-18-2013, 12:14
Marty is going to add Slowhikes end caps? If so definitely trouble for the wallet....

Barbi520
11-17-2017, 11:11
Love the lite owl. Only slight drawback. With whoopie slings and 11 ft hammock need a big space to hang!

Phantom Grappler
11-17-2017, 23:47
Marty at WildernessLogics---you can't be mixing two types hammocks like that---there oughta be a law.
Marty, we love you, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otter1
02-01-2018, 12:51
How long is the spreader? Cool hammock.

Tony c
02-01-2018, 14:09
So if I understand it, it's not a bridge where the bar is structural but more like a knotty mod alternative to tame loose fabric.if that's so or doesn't need to be a stout pole. Probably easy to experiment on any hammock with tie outs