PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Anual Central Washington Winter Hang- Planning Only

Buenos
11-25-2012, 14:20
Sorry I haven't posted sooner. Mugs reminded me that we should start talking about this.

I cannot yet commit on a date yet. Hopefully by January my work schedule should be settled. My hopes are to set a date in February or early March.

Any one game?

Umptanum Canyon is a great place, easy to get to, plenty of places to hang, and a flat easy hike, good for first timers too.

Boomer
11-25-2012, 16:39
I was waiting to see you post... I saw that your knife business is taking off, so I wasn't sure if you were gonna do it this year. I'm looking forward to it.

Coil
11-26-2012, 01:11
Count me in!

mugs
11-26-2012, 08:53
I'm in...looking forward to it.

The 2nd anual Ore winter (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58280) hang is Jan 18-20 so if yours is in Feb then most of us can make both events.

I'll be bringing my newly converted wife to this event, she is a dedicated hanger now :boggle: and is looking forward to winter hangs....you should see how much gear she has bought just for the sole purpose of winter hanging :lol:

Greenman
11-26-2012, 10:07
If the dates are right and I am not working I will try to be there...... Love to explore that area...:D

Buenos
11-26-2012, 15:19
I was waiting to see you post... I saw that your knife business is taking off, so I wasn't sure if you were gonna do it this year. I'm looking forward to it.

If anyone is interested, I can do a shop tour after the hang.

Count me in!

Excellent, the more the merrier!

I'm in...looking forward to it.

The 2nd anual Ore winter (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58280) hang is Jan 18-20 so if yours is in Feb then most of us can make both events.

I'll be bringing my newly converted wife to this event, she is a dedicated hanger now :boggle: and is looking forward to winter hangs....you should see how much gear she has bought just for the sole purpose of winter hanging :lol:

I doubt if I can make the OR hang, but, I rally want to go. If it works out, I'll be there. Last year's looked pretty darn awesome!

If the dates are right and I am not working I will try to be there...... Love to explore that area...:D

Central WA is a real gem, and a respite from the "wet side". If you can't make this hang, do try and stop through. It's worth the drive.

zugcat
11-27-2012, 03:45
I'm in, assuming that work does not melt down.

Boomer
12-05-2012, 17:47
Jose, bump...

Greenman
12-05-2012, 18:27
Central WA is a real gem, and a respite from the "wet side". If you can't make this hang, do try and stop through. It's worth the drive.

I have been on I-90 back and forth between Seattle and Spokane. I just have not stopped off to explore that area.... I love the Vantage area and Roslyn ---Cle Elm area also.....:D
Just wish I had more time to explore our whole State.....:boggle:

renegadepilgrim
12-06-2012, 07:20
I might be able to make it depending on dates....I've not explored that part of WA yet, so it would be fun to see some new scenery.

Buenos
12-06-2012, 10:47
I'm in, assuming that work does not melt down.
I'm interested to find out where you work!

I agree! It's amazing to me the variety of climates and ecologies in WA state, but Central WA is my home, and I am biased. It's a cool place!

I have been on I-90 back and forth between Seattle and Spokane. I just have not stopped off to explore that area.... I love the Vantage area and Roslyn ---Cle Elm area also.....:D
Just wish I had more time to explore our whole State.....:boggle:
For folks who make the cross-stat drive, Ellensburg is a nice pit stop, but it's also a cool place to explore. Hope you get the chance to stop at our humble burg and explore.

I might be able to make it depending on dates....I've not explored that part of WA yet, so it would be fun to see some new scenery.
I ope to have the date set but the second week of January. Sorry for the delay, but I hope to make it work everyone's while. It's been a fun hang the last couple of years. New scenery and good fellowship is what it's all about. Hope you can make it!

Boomer
12-07-2012, 07:24
Do we still have snow in March? Are you gonna be bringing wood?

Buenos
12-08-2012, 10:51
Do we still have snow in March? Are you gonna be bringing wood?

The Hang will be in February. There's not telling, in this part of WA weather or not they'll be snow. Mugs usually brings wood, and if you're handy with a hatchet or saw there's wood out there to burn. I can also bring some wood if there's a need or desire.

Gary_R
12-13-2012, 18:57
Depending on dates I will try and make this.. Hoping for snow though:)
Hope some of you make the Oregon Hang as well!

SamsquamtchHunter
12-16-2012, 00:53
I'd like to try and make it out as a first timer. Have the gear for 20F and the drive won't be too far... Hopefully work doesn't bog me down.

Buenos
12-16-2012, 12:38
Depending on dates I will try and make this.. Hoping for snow though:)
Hope some of you make the Oregon Hang as well!

Winter hangs are better with snow, but, Central WA is not known for piles and piles of the stuff.

I'd like to try and make it out as a first timer. Have the gear for 20F and the drive won't be too far... Hopefully work doesn't bog me down.

This is a perfect hang for a first time winter trial as the parking lot is very close. You might eat to bring extra insulation if you have it and keep it in the car, then retrieve it if needed. If you think you might need more and don't have, I do have extra and can easily bring it along.

Also, there are many local hotels nearby, if you feel the need to bail altogether.

Boomer
12-16-2012, 16:20
The Hang will be in February.

Buenos,

I work the weekend of Feb 8, 9, &10th and the weekend of 22, 23 & 24th. :(

Hopefully we can do the weekend of the 15th, 16th & 17th, or March 1, 2, &3. :laugh:

Barlutti
12-16-2012, 16:32
this may actually be possible for me to make. its a bit of a trek, assuming google maps is correct, but not that far, and gas is cheaper in the USA anyways. Work is a little flexible for me these days, so it should be a go :)

Boomer
12-17-2012, 02:14
this may actually be possible for me to make. its a bit of a trek, assuming google maps is correct, but not that far, and gas is cheaper in the USA anyways. Work is a little flexible for me these days, so it should be a go :)

It should be close to a straight shot down the east side of the Cascades. You can see some photos of last years hang in the trip reports section under the same title. There's a few Youtube videos floating around too.

Mikeinajeep
12-17-2012, 02:37
I'm in. How long is the hike? I lost a knee along the way and don't hike but could fake it a short way.

Buenos
12-17-2012, 10:40
Buenos,

I work the weekend of Feb 8, 9, &10th and the weekend of 22, 23 & 24th. :(

Hopefully we can do the weekend of the 15th, 16th & 17th, or March 1, 2, &3. :laugh:

I won't know the dates until mid-January, but will get them out ASAP and will keep your dates in mind.

It'd be cool to have someone from the Big CA down to our neck of the woods!

I'm in. How long is the hike? I lost a knee along the way and don't hike but could fake it a short way.

It's a really short hike on very flat terrain. Takes about 5 minutes if you are walking slow. Best part of the "hike" is right at the beginning when walking over the way cool suspension bridge.

Also, that time of year there tends to be a bit of ice around, bring a pair of Yak-tracks o similar for the walk.

Mikeinajeep
12-17-2012, 15:24
Sounds like a great camp. I'm in, if at all possible and it should be

SMJerry
01-03-2013, 00:32
Maybe I missed it, but has there been a date set yet? Hope to make it.

creativeKayt
01-06-2013, 00:38
I'm tentatively in. It will depend on work.
:)

Hulk
01-06-2013, 20:05
Wow. This thread has been around a while. I'm not seeing a date set yet.
Perhaps it's time to nail down a date.

Buenos
01-06-2013, 20:46
Sounds like a great camp. I'm in, if at all possible and it should be

It's a great locale and a great group. Hope to see you there.

Maybe I missed it, but has there been a date set yet? Hope to make it.

No, You haven't misted no date set yet. I hope you can make it to.

I'm tentatively in. It will depend on work.
:)

It would be cool to finally meet you. I hope you get to make it.

Wow. This thread has been around a while. I'm not seeing a date set yet.
Perhaps it's time to nail down a date.

Hey Hulk. I haven't yet set a date because my schedule is still not set. Right now it is looking like it may be the second or third week of February. Does anyone have a preference?

Boomer
01-06-2013, 22:29
Right now it is looking like it may be the second or third week of February. Does anyone have a preference?

I'm available the weekend of February 15th, 16th & 17th, or March 1, 2, & 3.

bgraybackpacker
01-11-2013, 23:39
Might be in depending on carpool from Oregon

mugs
01-14-2013, 22:14
I'm available the weekend of February 15th, 16th & 17th, or March 1, 2, & 3.

Buenos. The best way to make an event happen is just to pick a date and stick with it. If they can make it they will, if not then oh well.

That being said, I propose (along with boomer) the 15-17th of Feb :lol: I'll be on a different winter camp out on the March date. Plus March doesn't seem like a winter hang...though it is for the area, just doesn't seem like it.

Coil
01-14-2013, 22:25
Feb 15-17th might work for me. I'll be at the comic con the other dates.

nryche
01-15-2013, 13:42
Buenos. The best way to make an event happen is just to pick a date and stick with it. If they can make it they will, if not then oh well.

Agreed.. could make most any date with a months (or so) advance notice.. But if we dont set one soon there will be no way I could get the time off in time.. Same goes for Kane.

Wa-Hangman
01-16-2013, 09:44
I say Feb. 15-17
Lets set that date.

Boomer
01-16-2013, 16:57
Whaddaya know? Well, a wrinkle in my plans. They just switched my schedule to the opposite. I'll now be off 22, 23 & 24th, but working 15, 16 & 17th.

Buenos
01-18-2013, 15:59

That being said, I propose (along with boomer) the 15-17th of Feb :lol: I'll be on a different winter camp out on the March date. Plus March doesn't seem like a winter hang...though it is for the area, just doesn't seem like it.

All-righty then, I'll settle on those dates.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm just off the Kulluk (the same one in the news) where I had no internet or cell access.

Let's do this!

Hulk
01-20-2013, 00:26
Any chance you can edit the title of this thread to reflect the Feb 15-17 dates.

mtneerman22
01-22-2013, 14:11
will be there for the Feb 15-17th dates. Should be another good winter hang.

Gary_R
01-22-2013, 15:57
This topic has been moved to http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66643