PDA

View Full Version : NJ Pine Barrens - Not quite Christmas Weekend Hang (Dec 22 - Dec 23)

fishbait
11-26-2012, 08:48
Thanks to silentorpheus, kayak karl and silvrsurf, I'm now hooked on the Pine Barrens. And since I feel the need to torture test my gear before the Winter NEHHA and the NJ Winter Hang, I'm planning on one more hang for 2012. So if anyone is interested in hanging at the Lower Forge Site on Dec 22nd and 23rd post away.

njredneck
11-26-2012, 16:36
We will see if I have recovered from this last weekend before I commit to that walk again(I am out of shape bad).

silentorpheus
11-26-2012, 17:16
I'll keep this one on the radar ... not sure if the wife will let me out again so soon - and so close to Christmas. But I'll certainly try. This time I might hike in from the other direction, since it shaves a couple miles off the trip.

The first 4 miles were easy. The next 3 were what did me in, each day. I, too, am out of shape. :D

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2012, 17:46
I'll keep this one on the radar ... not sure if the wife will let me out again so soon - and so close to Christmas. But I'll certainly try. This time I might hike in from the other direction, since it shaves a couple miles off the trip.

The first 4 miles were easy. The next 3 were what did me in, each day. I, too, am out of shape. :D

A month ago I was in shape hiking 16 miles in a day, but that 7.3 mile hike kicked my butt. Amazing how quickly you can get out of shape.

I'll keep this one on the radar too - need to test out my new HG 0* Incubator!

The scenery Batona-to-Lower Forge is, well, lacking. I would recommend Atsion-Lower Forge as more interesting. You get some good views of the Mullica River, and there's a big beaver pond that is quite nice. You could either go Atsion to Wilderness Camps connector trail for a hike of somewhere around 6 miles, or a shorter hike would be Atsion to Beaver Pond-Quaker Bridge connector trail for a hike around 5 miles.

I'd recommend either hike over Batona-Lower Forge. And you could take one route in, the other route out, or even do a through hike to Batsto (involves placing cars at beginning and end).

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2012, 18:24
Well SS lets call it a challenge. I am not against it. You guys possibly can pace yourselves. Rugby can stay home. Have you considered another campsite a little closer to the parking lot?

kayak karl
11-26-2012, 18:29
Buttonwood is closer 4.6mi from lot on Batona trail or a 3.0 mile road walk.

fishbait
11-26-2012, 18:29
We will see if I have recovered from this last weekend before I commit to that walk again(I am out of shape bad).

A month ago I was in shape hiking 16 miles in a day, but that 7.3 mile hike kicked my butt. Amazing how quickly you can get out of shape.

Must have been all the food and drink from Saturday :lol:

kayak karl
11-26-2012, 18:32
lower forge and mulica river are the only two wilderness sites. the other 7 you can car camp.

silentorpheus
11-26-2012, 18:42
I was thinking exactly what SilvrSurfr said. Atsion to lower forge by way of beaver pond and Batona trail. Good solid 5 miles or so.

Guess I need to start sucking up to the wife now ...

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2012, 19:15
Well SS lets call it a challenge. I am not against it. You guys possibly can pace yourselves. Rugby can stay home. Have you considered another campsite a little closer to the parking lot?

Because you must camp in designated campsites in the Pine Barrens, options are limited. Like KK said, there's Buttonwood, but it's car camping (meaning you get car-camping riffraff; i.e., fully loaded coolers, boom boxes, and general rowdiness). As temps get colder, you have less concern about car-camping Pineys, but I'm still inclined to go to the wilderness campsites 'cause it's hard for Pineys to hike in a case of beer. Plus, you get exercise!

I will gladly sleep with Rugby, and he'll be toasty warm, as I will be. As long as the nails are trimmed, he can sleep with me! Heck, I'll even bring a double-layer tablecloth hammock so he can rip it to shreds if he wants. Dog insulation is the best.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2012, 19:17
Must have been all the food and drink from Saturday :lol:

Out of shape is out of shape - can't attribute it to food and drink. I felt as good hiking in as I did hiking out - which means I felt out of shape.

fishbait
11-26-2012, 19:36
I'm hoping to have my pups shot records by then and might bring him. But I think I have to work him a bit to get used to hiking and camping.

fishbait
11-28-2012, 08:01
I'm going to see if my son would be interested in going. I'll wind up giving him his Christamas Gift a few days early, but I think it would be worth it.

kayak karl
11-28-2012, 08:15
that is the last weekend before the holidays and Father Christmas will be Buuuussssy <[:-)>
ill be hiking the Batona Trail SOBO between now and then. ill post when.

jerzybears
12-03-2012, 21:49
Russ and I might take this on. School is out. We can ring in the new age because the world is suppose to end 21 dec 2012. Bring on the zombie hoards!!!

fishbait
12-04-2012, 16:37
Bring on the zombie hoards!!!

And the Planetary Allignment, the Mysterious Rogue Planet and any other major Apocalyptic event :laugh: Maybe I should have called it "Not Quite the End of the World Hang"

Silent Bob
12-04-2012, 18:39
I'll be there. NASA said , "We have nothing to worry about."

Iafte
12-04-2012, 21:49
I'll float this by the wife. Doubt it will happen, but it's worth a try.

fishbait
12-05-2012, 12:09
Definites:
Fishbait
Ohoulihan

Maybes:
njredneck
silentorpheous
silvrsurfr
Wise Old Owl
jerzybears
iafte

Father Christmas:
Kayak Karl - Hiking the Batona SoBo (I'm Green with Envy)

Buttonwood or Mulica River Campsites are short hikes from Batsto Village

njredneck
12-05-2012, 18:36
Count me and my 2 boys in.

Porkroll
12-05-2012, 20:18
I'd like to do this. We'll see.

kayak karl
12-05-2012, 20:44
are you hanging both nights or just the nite of 22nd.?

Silent Bob
12-06-2012, 06:39
I can't speak for everyone but i think it's only the 22. I have to work monday morning

kayak karl
12-06-2012, 08:19
im going. ill be hiking in from the north starting at Rt. 72 if anyone is interested.

fishbait
12-06-2012, 08:29
are you hanging both nights or just the nite of 22nd.?
I can only hang the one night as well. My family starts it's Christmas Celebration on the 24th and goes on through Christmas.

Definites:
Fishbait
Ohoulihan
Kayak Karl - Hiking the Batona SoBo (I'm still Green with Envy, I'm sure this is going to be a great hike)

Maybes:
njredneck
silentorpheous
silvrsurfr
Wise Old Owl
jerzybears
iafte
Bundy71

Porkroll
12-06-2012, 18:21
If I go, it will be just for Saturday night.

Iafte
12-07-2012, 23:29
Sadly I forgot my Mother is coming into town that weekend. So, I'm a no go.

silentorpheus
12-09-2012, 14:29
Looks like I'm out ... my wife was less then pleased when I brought up camping two days before Christmas. Don't want to cause any undue issues just before the holidays. :D

Silent Bob
12-09-2012, 20:46
Looks like I'm out ... my wife was less then pleased when I brought up camping two days before Christmas. Don't want to cause any undue issues just before the holidays. :D

My girlfriend passed a remark about me going as well . She wanted to go see Trans Siberian Orchestra at the Rock.. So I pulled out two tickets for the
15th in Long Island.. All is good :)

fishbait
12-09-2012, 21:08
My girlfriend passed a remark about me going as well . She wanted to go see Trans Siberian Orchestra at the Rock.. So I pulled out two tickets for the
15th in Long Island.. All is good :)

Very, Very Smooth :D

Silent Bob
12-09-2012, 21:21
Very, Very Smooth :D

Lol yup.. She is good to me so I can't complain.. It cost me a weekend getaway when she picked us up in Greenwood in October :D

Dylan
12-11-2012, 20:03
I'm gently trying work the idea in with my wife, so I'm a definite, probable maybe to be able to attend this one.

fishbait
12-13-2012, 14:51
Definites:
Fishbait
Ohoulihan
Kayak Karl - Hiking the Batona SoBo (I'm still Green with Envy, I'm sure this is going to be a great hike)
Maple & Possibly Kaia

Maybes:
njredneck
silvrsurfr
Wise Old Owl
jerzybears
iafte
Bundy71
Dylan - definite, probable maybe
mortonkl - definite > maybe

Ohoulihan and I will be camping at Lower Forge

kayak karl
12-13-2012, 16:14
the trail was re-routed. no more road walk. got to take this chance to do it.

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2012, 18:41
the trail was re-routed. no more road walk. got to take this chance to do it.

How's the parking at Route 72? And how far do you think it is to Lower Forge?

kayak karl
12-13-2012, 18:49
How's the parking at Route 72? And how far do you think it is to Lower Forge?
parking is fine. there is a ranger station there in Brendan Byrne State Forest .5 miles off #72.
72 to LF is 17-18 miles.

last hike was from Ong's to LF, but the new trail wasn't finished http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192556433

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2012, 23:20
parking is fine. there is a ranger station there in Brendan Byrne State Forest .5 miles off #72.
72 to LF is 17-18 miles.

last hike was from Ong's to LF, but the new trail wasn't finished http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192556433

I might join you KK, if I can get in a little training between now and then. My previous max in a day was 16 miles, so I'm kind of interested in slackpacking. Maybe I could drop a car off at Batona, pick the gear up and hike in to Lower Forge?

kayak karl
12-13-2012, 23:39
You could hide your gear at Batona camp and grap it as you hike by, but don't forget THIS hike goes up over Applepie Mountain and down the south face. Then through the Candy Cane Forest and around Gum Drop Mountain also :D

JollyGreen
12-14-2012, 07:01
I'm a definite maybe, more to the definite side

kayak karl
12-14-2012, 15:51
Maple is hiking in from Batsto Saturday morn. She might be hiking with Kaia.

njredneck
12-15-2012, 17:37
Me and my boys are heading out around 10 from Batsto Sat morning. Looking forward to a great night in the woods

fishbait
12-15-2012, 23:42
Definites:
Fishbait
Ohoulihan
Maple & Possibly Kaia
njredneck & sons

Maybes:
silvrsurfr
Wise Old Owl
jerzybears
iafte
Bundy71

Fishfood
12-16-2012, 07:48
If my Saturday plans fall through, Im IN for a night in the pines. Been looking to get in on a hang with some folks from the NJ area. I'm definitely making the Winter Hang.

fishbait
12-16-2012, 12:21
If my Saturday plans fall through, Im IN for a night in the pines. Been looking to get in on a hang with some folks from the NJ area. I'm definitely making the Winter Hang.

Love to have you along

SilvrSurfr
12-16-2012, 16:19
I'm gonna have to move to maybe status after a car accident. My knee is still pretty sore and swollen, but getting more flexible and more mobile every day.

fishbait
12-16-2012, 20:26
I'm gonna have to move to maybe status after a car accident. My knee is still pretty sore and swollen, but getting more flexible and more mobile every day.

trust me if you can't make it we'll understand. I saw the picture of the knee thought it was a grapefruit at first.

fishbait
12-18-2012, 13:39
Evening temps this weekend (according to Inaccuweather) are going to a Balmy 28 Degrees with a wind chill of 11 degrees. Should push the limits of my gear :thumbup:

SilvrSurfr
12-18-2012, 14:34
I'm out, unfortunately. No hiking for me; doctor's orders. The orthopedist looked as me like I was stupid for asking. "You do know if you go hiking your knee will swell even more, right?" Um, yeah. I guess I knew that.

Have fun!

fishbait
12-18-2012, 15:01
I'm out, unfortunately. No hiking for me; doctor's orders. The orthopedist looked as me like I was stupid for asking. "You do know if you go hiking your knee will swell even more, right?" Um, yeah. I guess I knew that.

Have fun!

We'll see in January, rest up and have a safe holiday

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2012, 15:53

Have fun!

Sorry to hear that! Ice, Aleve, and Roxanne! will help...:)

I thought I posted out as well - can't make it.

fishbait
12-18-2012, 22:55
I thought I posted out as well - can't make it.

No problem

Definites:
Fishbait
Ohoulihan
Maple & Possibly Kaia
njredneck & sons

Maybes:
jerzybears
iafte
Bundy71

kayak karl
12-19-2012, 21:57
still going. im leaving Rt 72 at 8 am. Ann (Maple) will be hiking north from Batsto leaving at about 9am.
on another note. a friend of mine Old Crazy is hiking from Carranza Memorial to Quaker Bridge and back again. if you see him say "hey". he is trying to hike the Batona Trail 100 times. he is close to being done:)

sweetbabyd
12-20-2012, 20:17
sweetbabyd will be there. had extensive surgery on knee but so looking forward to seeing my dear friends!! please feel free to put me on any attendance lists. see you january 25th!!

silentorpheus
12-20-2012, 20:42
sweetbabyd will be there. had extensive surgery on knee but so looking forward to seeing my dear friends!! please feel free to put me on any attendance lists. see you january 25th!!

Sweetbabyd - did you mean to reply in the NJ winter hang thread? Or are you going out this weekend? :)

fishbait
12-20-2012, 22:17
I think she meant the Winter Hang

SilvrSurfr
12-21-2012, 01:22
How close can you get by car (Ford Focus) to Lower Forge? Is it easy driving to Quaker Bridge? I can hike my crippled arse from there. I really need to get out.

Unfortunately, there's a major rainstorm coming our way tomorrow, so I suspect even the best roads in the Pine Barrens will be inundated for a few days.

kayak karl
12-21-2012, 07:18
ive driven my ford focus to the entrance of lower forge. the worst part at after you cross the bridge the hard left is very deep sand.

sweetbabyd
12-21-2012, 07:52
I think she meant the Winter Hang

yes fishbait, i meant the winter hang in the Pine Barrens NJ. thank you for the link! :D SilverSurfer, we both need to get out!

Dylan
12-21-2012, 12:17
I'm no longer a maybe, but not not the way I would have preferred. I definitely won't make it. Have fun, folks.

njredneck
12-21-2012, 15:27
Unfortunately I have to back out. Have fun

kayak karl
12-21-2012, 18:25
what's the new list fishbait :)

fishbait
12-21-2012, 21:36
what's the new list fishbait :)

Lets see SS is back, so:

Definites:
Fishbait
Ohoulihan
Maple & Kaia
SilverSurfer

Maybes:
jerzybears
iafte
Bundy71

Five so far. I'll bring a shovel just incase we need to dig Surfer out of the sand :D

kayak karl
12-22-2012, 06:29
heading out guys. ill have my phone 609-805-2405

and silversurfer, you maybe lost if;
.... if you pass a toll booth on your way to LF.
.... if the sign says Philadelphia 8 mi.
.... if you see a big red fire tower (turn around)
:D

if you see this guy your almost there :)
http://aceflashman.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/the-jersey-devil.png

joizee camper
12-22-2012, 09:55
I'm gonna take a ride out there in a bit. Can't stay the night but looking forward to meeting you guys. Probably be at LF by 11:30am. Hope I'm not too early

-Bob

SilvrSurfr
12-22-2012, 16:40
I tried to get away but just couldn't make it. Y'all have fun.

silentorpheus
12-22-2012, 16:48
I tried to get away but just couldn't make it. Y'all have fun.

Dude, just as well. I know the urge to get out tends to override reason sometimes - but you're better off recovering first, so you don't do more damage.

Despite my wife asking me not to go, I was still considering whether I could get away. Then I threw my back out a few days ago. Even yesterday I was thinking "I could still probably make it, right?" ... but I'm in agony today, and I know that if I went out it'd make it a hundred times worse.

Let's see if we can get out sometime in January, before the winter hang. :cool:

SilvrSurfr
12-22-2012, 21:09
Dude, just as well. I know the urge to get out tends to override reason sometimes - but you're better off recovering first, so you don't do more damage.

Despite my wife asking me not to go, I was still considering whether I could get away. Then I threw my back out a few days ago. Even yesterday I was thinking "I could still probably make it, right?" ... but I'm in agony today, and I know that if I went out it'd make it a hundred times worse.

Let's see if we can get out sometime in January, before the winter hang. :cool:

If the knees are willing and ready, I'll be game!

I haven't been out of commission due to a physical injury in 23 years - this is downright frustrating for me.

fishbait
12-22-2012, 21:09
Bloody windy out here. Have the winter sock up, it's 60 in the sock 36 out side. SS rest the knee.

kayak karl
12-23-2012, 14:57
met Fishbait + Ohoulihan, "The Serious Hikers", as described at the Batsto office :)
it was a tad on the breezy side. had a great time.
someone asked before for a GPX file to LF.
here it is Batsto-Lower Forge (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/253848465) time is destorted because i forgot to turn it off :( moving times are accurate.

found a hidden treasure also :)

fishbait
12-23-2012, 21:39
met Fishbait + Ohoulihan, "The Serious Hikers", as described at the Batsto office :)

The funny thing Karl is she said the same thing to me about a group of campers that was staying in Lower Forge Friday night and another hiker who was staying in the Bodine Field.

Have to show off the new Hammock Forums Flag I received.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/rich5665/Hammock%20Forums/SAM_0146_zps630f53d9.jpg

A close up
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/rich5665/Hammock%20Forums/SAM_0147_zps9ae9ca77.jpg

A couple of setups at Lower Forge
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/rich5665/Hammock%20Forums/SAM_0148_zpsccebe312.jpg

Dylan
12-23-2012, 22:39
The funny thing Karl is she said the same thing to me about a group of campers that was staying in Lower Forge Friday night and another hiker who was staying in the Bodine Field.

Once you've seen Karl, every hiker looks "serious." :D

SkyPainter
12-27-2012, 13:21
Once you've seen Karl, every hiker looks "serious." :D

====> LMAO! I got lost going to last year's Winter Hang (went WAY past it) and ran into Karl coming in the opposite direction in his van. I thought, "Either this guy is crazy taking a panel van in here, or he seriously knows his way about these woods!". Then I met him when he stopped to help me get turned around in the right direction,

Turns out I was right on both counts! 👀

~ Sky