PDA

View Full Version : Is there a frozen butt hang in NY?

adkphoto
11-26-2012, 18:51
Hi Everyone -

I was just wondering, Is there a frozen butt hang in NY?

If not, how much interest is there in organizing one in the Adirondacks or the Finger Lakes Region?

David

DuctTape
11-26-2012, 19:35
Count me in. I hang in the winter all the time in both the Adks and along the FLT.

adkphoto
11-26-2012, 20:35
Any suggestions for a group camping spot that will be accessible in winter?

David

DuctTape
11-26-2012, 20:57
possibilities:

Finger Lakes National forest
Sugar Hill State Forest
Italy Hill State Forest

Most of the adk areas I know are a minimum few miles in from a parking area. Just checked out Moss Lake and that seems like a good spot for a group winter hang and isn't that far in.

jerzybears
11-27-2012, 08:11
I took some forum members to The Devil's Kitchen Leanto area in the Catskills. A running stream and lots of trees. The site is above the leanto area. Ask Vito or Knotty about it. We had fun.

Miguel
11-27-2012, 10:40
Just above Watkins Glen NY the Interoken Trail which is a link trail to the Finger Lakes Trail has a Horse Camp which is free in the winter and can easily be reached by car. In the winter you don't have to have a horse to stay there. The Sugar Hill site is also good but I believe it may be closed in winter.

Miguel

adkphoto
11-27-2012, 10:56
Great options. Keep them coming.

David

DuctTape
11-27-2012, 11:01
The main campgriund area in the sygar hill SF is closed in winter, but there are many other locations better that up at the firetower in that forest(and away from the snowmobile trails).

adkphoto
11-27-2012, 11:04
I have no problem hiking in to a camping site. Do you think most people would prefer to hike in to a site, or be closer to their cars?

David

DuctTape
11-27-2012, 12:43
I have no problem hiking in to a camping site. Do you think most people would prefer to hike in to a site, or be closer to their cars?

David

I dont know. Perhaps those interested could also express their preference. I also enjoy hiking in to a spot. In winter a pulk makes it easier.

walterharold
11-27-2012, 12:49
I'd like to do a winter hang.

I don't mind hiking in to a site; I might not feel like hiking as far as I would on a summer day, but a hike in would be nice.

I'm pretty booked till after the first of the year. . .and I should have my HG underquilt by then too (they sold alot of quilts over the weekend).

armnyc
11-27-2012, 13:50
I want in on this. Please let me know. Thanks.

Chard
11-27-2012, 14:48
Hey guys,

I know it might be a bit far but we're going to start planning our EGL Winter hang in the next few weeks.

Last year we did weekend in Algonquin Park, Ontario (Trip Report: Eastern Great Lakes Hang - Feb 2012 - Snowshoes across Algonquin (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47540)). I know it's a fair drive from central NY (7hrs as the google flies), but it would be great to hang our with some our neighbouring hangers south of the border.

Just throwing it the invite out there!

adkphoto
11-27-2012, 15:28
Thanks! It looks like you had a great time last year.

David

Chard
11-27-2012, 15:36
Thanks! It looks like you had a great time last year.

David

We sure did. The snowshoeing was grueling at times but our final camp was worth it.

This year we're trying to find a location that also offers ice-fishing opportunities. Now that would be a perfect winter camping weekend! Fresh trout on the ice...

MikeM
11-27-2012, 15:46
I would be in for a NY Winter hang. The Finger Lakes would be my first choice due to driving distance.

walterharold
11-27-2012, 17:06
Thanks for extending the invitation; I haven't been up in Algonquin for years.

DuctTape
11-27-2012, 17:12
I was watching that EGL thread last year. Just a bit to far for me at that time. Maybe this year. And of course all our brothers and sisters North of the border are welcome to join any NY hang that may develop.

walterharold
11-27-2012, 17:20
I will second the motion for a Finger Lakes National forest trip.

Two Tents
11-27-2012, 17:25
I'd be interested. I'll be watching this thread to get the details.

DuctTape
11-27-2012, 18:49
I haven't been to the FLNF in a while. I know mostly good spots for solo trips, not necessarily conducive for multiple hammocks. I think I remember a good spot which would facilitate many hammocks and is a "good spot". I will go back and check it out (wearing orange this time of year!)

BrianWillan
11-27-2012, 19:00
I was watching that EGL thread last year. Just a bit to far for me at that time. Maybe this year. And of course all our brothers and sisters North of the border are welcome to join any NY hang that may develop.

I will second the motion for a Finger Lakes National forest trip.

I just checked on that location, according to Google that is only a 5 hour drive from my area of Southern Ontario. That is doable for a 2 - 3 night trip.

I will keep an eye on this thread and see what develops. Would be nice to find some hardwood forests to hang in for a change. ;)

Cheers

Brian

MikeM
11-27-2012, 21:02
At the FLNF, there is a large area near the Potomac parking area across from Chicken Coop Road. We had 6 hammocks there for a ZS trip a couple of years ago, and that was with plenty of spare trees.

DuctTape
11-27-2012, 21:10
Good to know Mike. I spend more time in the southern portion of the FLNF.

DuctTape
11-28-2012, 21:39
Let's pick a date and post to the new subforum a hang in the FLNF? January sometime?

walterharold
11-28-2012, 22:53
I could do an overnight in January on the weekend of the 19th to the 20th. . .booked solid otherwise.

adkphoto
11-29-2012, 08:25
I could do the weekend of the 12th-13th or 26th-27th.

If I have some time today, I'll call the DEC forest rangers and see if they have any suggestions for group camping spots on state land in that area.

Someone else want to call the forest service to see about group camping locations in the FLNF?

Most likely we'll have to get a group camping permit whether we're on state or federal land.

David

NFA
11-29-2012, 10:26
We've done a winter camping trip in the ADKs for the last 6 winters, up near Saranac Lake, NY. It normally happens in February.

Jamie

Miguel
11-29-2012, 11:54
At the FLNF, there is a large area near the Potomac parking area across from Chicken Coop Road. We had 6 hammocks there for a ZS trip a couple of years ago, and that was with plenty of spare trees.

I am very familiar with that area. There is an "official" Patomac group camping area on one side of the road which I don't think is open in Winter. There are also two trails, Patomac and Backbone ) on the opposite side of the road which lead from the road to a pond and the distance is only about .2 miles. There are several campsites along both of those trails.

At one end of the pond there is a little known site off the backbone trail that is nestled into a grove of pines with a soft bed of pine needles everywhere. The great thing about the site is that all the trees are spaced perfectly for hammocking and there is amost an endless amount of them. It's almost as if someone planted them for hammocking. There is also a stone fire ring there. Because it's a pine grove it's also very well protected from wind etc.

Something to think about. I could check it out in greater detail or even meet with others for a scout if they live nearby. I live about 45 minutes from there and camp in the area summer and winter. The Horse campground is just around the corner. Watkins Glenn is very close and there is an awesome little breakfast spot down on the main road that goes by the lake. I'm retired so I would be available any time.

Miguel

adkphoto
11-29-2012, 12:15
I like the sounds of the campsite in the piney woods!

If I have time this weekend, I might be able to take a road trip to scout it out with Miguel.

I looked at the FLNF Map (https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5352123.pdf) online. I see the group camping area, and four ponds in that area. Which pond are you referring to Miguel? Also, do you know if any of these roads are maintained in the winter?

David

DuctTape
11-29-2012, 12:40
I might be able to swing by on Sunday as well.

NFAs post about the adk hang is also a good reminder. I gavent been able to get up there at the times in the past. Hopefully this year.

Miguel
11-29-2012, 14:43
I like the sounds of the campsite in the piney woods!

If I have time this weekend, I might be able to take a road trip to scout it out with Miguel.

I looked at the FLNF Map (https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5352123.pdf) online. I see the group camping area, and four ponds in that area. Which pond are you referring to Miguel? Also, do you know if any of these roads are maintained in the winter?

David

That would be Foster's Pond. Teeter's Pond is a few miles north on the Interloken Trail, also with easy access but I am not quite sure the hanging possibilities would be as good as the pine grove at Foster's. Much would depend on how many are coming.

The roads up there are maintained during the Winter and there are parking areas at trail heads.

Miguel

Miguel
11-29-2012, 14:54
I could do the weekend of the 12th-13th or 26th-27th.

If I have some time today, I'll call the DEC forest rangers and see if they have any suggestions for group camping spots on state land in that area.

Someone else want to call the forest service to see about group camping locations in the FLNF?

Most likely we'll have to get a group camping permit whether we're on state or federal land.

David

No permit needed unless you are at a "Designated" spot such as the Patomac Group Camping area, Blueberry Patch campground or the Horse Campground. Blueberry Patch and group areas are closed in Winter and The Horse Campground is open to all campers in the Winter. I recently confirmed this with a Ranger. You can camp anywhere in the Fingerlakes National Forest for free other than those locations. Normal fees are $10...half that if you have an Access Pass. BTW...all of these locations inluding Foster's Pond are within about a mile from one another.

PS I believe the Horse Campgound is also free. I wouldn't have a problem slipping up there sometime soon and taking some pics/video of the site.

Miguel

adkphoto
11-29-2012, 15:03
I like how this is coming together.

I see Fosters Pond now. I wish I had a better map than the one online. Where is the pine grove in relation to Fosters?

David

Miguel
11-29-2012, 15:23
I like how this is coming together.

I see Fosters Pond now. I wish I had a better map than the one online. Where is the pine grove in relation to Fosters?

David

It's at the north end about 10 yards or so West on the Backbone trail. Look for a little path on the right side of the trail. There are actually a couple of sites in there right next to each other with seperate fire rings. If the group got too big you could easily have two fires.

At the intersection of the Interloken trail and the Backbone trail there is a very sweet site right next to the pond but it will only hold about three hammocks. It's within a stones throw of the pine grove. It even has a picnic table....not sure how it got there.

Miguel

PS Ha ha...I meant look for the little trail if there in person....not on your internet map. :)
PSS Pretty sure I could meet there this Saturday...tied up on Sunday.

adkphoto
11-29-2012, 15:30
Nice. It doesn't look like that should be much more than half a mile from the parking area.

This site has a lot going for it:
* Winter access
* Close to the road, but not too close.
* Great hanging location in a sheltered grove
* Established fire rings to minimize impact

For all those who responded that they were interested, how does this site sound?

David

stairguy
11-29-2012, 15:42
No there isn't.............:lol:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63623

adkphoto
11-29-2012, 15:51
Ahhh... Frozen Butt is trademarked. Given the location we're considering, I suppose we should call this the Frozen Fingers hang :)

David

Miguel
11-29-2012, 16:08
Ahhh... Frozen Butt is trademarked. Given the location we're considering, I suppose we should call this the Frozen Fingers hang :)

David

Excellent!!:)

Miguel
11-29-2012, 16:44
Nice. It doesn't look like that should be much more than half a mile from the parking area.

This site has a lot going for it:
* Winter access
* Close to the road, but not too close.
* Great hanging location in a sheltered grove
* Established fire rings to minimize impact

For all those who responded that they were interested, how does this site sound?

David

Before everyone commits, I'd believe I could make it over there for some pics and a possible video of the area possibly as early as tomorrow.

Miguel

adkphoto
11-29-2012, 19:32
That would be awesome Miguel! Thank you.

Miguel
11-30-2012, 08:00
That would be awesome Miguel! Thank you.

Looks like I will be going up there Saturday afternoon. I was planning on today but the boss (she who must be obeyed) had other plans. Stay tuned!

Miguel
12-01-2012, 18:40
OK so here are some pics of the site. The grassy site with the picnic table is the one at the north end of Foster's Pond. You could get about six hammocks in that area. The Pine Grove site is....well....the pics with the pine trees in them.:D

The lady is my lovely bride and Hammock Hanging Princess. :boggle:

I'll try to post a couple of crappy videos in a seperate post.

It's about a five to ten minute hike in from the road to the campsite. The area is about eight miles north of Watkins Glen NY off of Rt 414....East side of lake. If you are checking out maps, you turn off Rt 414 on to Rt 2 (Picnic Rd) go 4.4 miles to T, turn left and go 1.1 miles to parking area on left....directly across from Chicken Coup Rd. It's simple to find.

Miguel

Miguel
12-01-2012, 18:52
Could not upload the vids....something about a security problem. Trust me....you didn't miss much. I can hear Shug's sigh of relief now. :laugh:

Miguel

DuctTape
12-01-2012, 19:00
Nice! The Pine grove looks great. Reminds me of the southern end of the forest.

dT

adkphoto
12-02-2012, 19:37
That looks awesome. Especially the pine grove.

David

MikeM
12-02-2012, 21:37
I know the spot. I hope we can make this happen.

walterharold
12-02-2012, 22:18
Looks like I'm going to need to make some room in my schedule to attend.

Miguel
12-03-2012, 11:08
Since I am retired I would suggest the proletariat (working stiffs) choose the date. I have a few people in my area that would attend.

Low of 46 tonight...thinking of heading out there or a trial run.

Miguel

adkphoto
12-03-2012, 12:23
Thanks for your help Miguel.

I think it's time we moved this to the regional outings thread.

I'll start a planning thread with a poll for the date.

David

adkphoto
12-03-2012, 12:41
Ok folks, if you've been following this thread, or just found it, the new planning thread is located here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63816) in the northeast regional thread.

David