PDA

View Full Version : StingerZ vs tarp flyz

peripatew
11-27-2012, 13:11
I'm a semi-noob so forgive my confusion. In what instances would you want to use the flyz vs the stingerz? I know the stings are designed to clip right on to the tarp, and the flyz are ment to be adjustable up and down the line. But when would you want to adjust them?

Just trying to wrap my mind around the uses for them! How do you use each of these?

Dutch
11-27-2012, 13:21
The stingerz are really nice if you are going to move them from tarp to tarp. Or such as the case with the 11x10 jrb tarp to move them to another place on the tarp so you can make a bakers hut. Flyz are movable so you can actually take less line. I use 12' for stingers and 10' for flyz. That is because if the line is too short for a Stinger you are out of luck. But with the flyz you can move it towards the tree and gain a couple feet.

Also Flyz were the original and Stingerz look cool:shades:

peripatew
11-27-2012, 13:27
The stingerz are really nice if you are going to move them from tarp to tarp. Or such as the case with the 11x10 jrb tarp to move them to another place on the tarp so you can make a bakers hut. Flyz are movable so you can actually take less line. I use 12' for stingers and 10' for flyz. That is because if the line is too short for a Stinger you are out of luck. But with the flyz you can move it towards the tree and gain a couple feet.

Also Flyz were the original and Stingerz look cool:shades:

Quick response! That makes sense. I'm going to experiment with a continuous ridgeline and split when my Superfly gets in... so I'll likely order a little of everything!

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2012, 14:06
I always thought of the flyz as primarily for a continuous ridgeline, and stingerz for a non-continuous, or two-piece ridgeline. Dutch's video below leads me to believe he designed the stingerz with a non-continuous ridgeline in mind.

uH7YNHqqB88

Of course, people use Dutch's stuff in ways he hadn't envisioned. I've seen people using tarp flyz on their guy lines, and whoopie hooks in weird ways too.

Dejoha uses tarp flyz and stingers in different ways in this vid.

hLupiOygs0s&feature=plcp

Bosman
02-20-2013, 11:49
Peripatew, the Flyz allow you to use all your ridgeline cord whereas the stingers loose their effectiveness when tress are far apart. I have had this on 2 occasions this winter where I used the stingers setup and had to tie the rope at the tree instead of the intended way of locking down the line bag at the attachment point of the tarp where the stingers are attached. This lends me to be of the opinion 15 foot or more would be better with Stingers. Thus I now prefer Flyz for that very reason.

Sunbiz
03-10-2013, 11:06
In my opinion I don't think the stingerz were designed with one use in mind at all. For instance with stingerz I am able to utilize a crl with absolutely no knots.

The stingerz are clipped to the D rings on either side of the tarps ridgeline. Then it's just a simple matter of running the ridgeline through the D ring and through the stingerz, around the tree and back to the stingerz.

Do the same on the other side leaving one of the stingerz loose… adjust the tarp to center and then cinch up the stingerz as tight as you like.
This works with the ridgeline above or below the tarp.

Works like a charm and the stingerz live on the tarp until I so desire to move them to another.
This whole setup gets rolled up into skins with the ends of the ridgelines poking out of the skins on either side.

No knots, no prusik to mess with… nada... and can be deployed in under 30 seconds…stingerz are the bomb!

Eagle Eye
03-10-2013, 12:21
Peripatew, the Flyz allow you to use all your ridgeline cord whereas the stingers loose their effectiveness when tress are far apart. I have had this on 2 occasions this winter where I used the stingers setup and had to tie the rope at the tree instead of the intended way of locking down the line bag at the attachment point of the tarp where the stingers are attached. This lends me to be of the opinion 15 foot or more would be better with Stingers. Thus I now prefer Flyz for that very reason.

We have gone around the tree and back again on this one. I am thinking about adding a 2 or 3 foot loop or dog bone addition that we would carry in pairs to be added to the spliced stingers or purchased later. I would think that would be enough. Loops would be $5 a pair, not sure about the dog bones maybe $6.50 or $7. Any thoughts? If anybody would like those extensions before they hit the store just let me know with your order or email to [email protected]. Also please do not hesitate to ask for longer or shorter lines on any of our products. I do every splice so it would be no big deal and at most it would add a day to your shipping time. Also custom lengths add nothing to the charge of the item unless there is a request for a large amount (many feet) of additional material.

weaver2469
03-10-2013, 15:17
We have gone around the tree and back again on this one. I am thinking about adding a 2 or 3 foot loop or dog bone addition that we would carry in pairs to be added to the spliced stingers or purchased later. I would think that would be enough. Loops would be $5 a pair, not sure about the dog bones maybe $6.50 or $7. Any thoughts? If anybody would like those extensions before they hit the store just let me know with your order or email to [email protected]. Also please do not hesitate to ask for longer or shorter lines on any of our products. I do every splice so it would be no big deal and at most it would add a day to your shipping time. Also custom lengths add nothing to the charge of the item unless there is a request for a large amount (many feet) of additional material.

Lol, I wish you had posted this a couple of days ago. I just got my shipping notice yesterday for my Tarp Flyz on the 10 ft zing it length. I ordered the Flyz instead of the Stingerz for the "just in case" factor. I would probably have bought a couple of short dog bones if they had been an option. My theory is that I can keep the flyz near the tarp for the "V" wrap most of the time, but if I run into a bigger tree or greater span, I will just adjust one or both of the Flyz closer to the tree, sacrificing the "V" for the additional distance. No big deal. In many ways, the Flyz are more functional (and lighter), than the Stingers, so I am happy with my purchase. I can't wait to try them out and add to my Dutchware collection.

Dutch
03-10-2013, 15:47
Lol, I wish you had posted this a couple of days ago. I just got my shipping notice yesterday for my Tarp Flyz on the 10 ft zing it length. I ordered the Flyz instead of the Stingerz for the "just in case" factor. I would probably have bought a couple of short dog bones if they had been an option. My theory is that I can keep the flyz near the tarp for the "V" wrap most of the time, but if I run into a bigger tree or greater span, I will just adjust one or both of the Flyz closer to the tree, sacrificing the "V" for the additional distance. No big deal. In many ways, the Flyz are more functional (and lighter), than the Stingers, so I am happy with my purchase. I can't wait to try them out and add to my Dutchware collection.

If you want to change them out just let me know.

weaver2469
03-10-2013, 16:31

That's a nice offer, Dutch, but I am fine. I am excited to try out the Flyz.

Eagle Eye
03-10-2013, 20:07

Yeah this is a learn as you go thing for all of us. I do not believe that we will ever have a perfect system. I have put this in a few threads and since you bring it up I will put it again here, "Please do not hesitate to ask about products before you order and please feel free to request variances, chances are we will say, "no worries"". :) Let us know how you like the Flyz.

weaver2469
03-12-2013, 20:49
Let us know how you like the Flyz.

I got them today. I really like them. I went out and tried them on both sets of trees I hang from in my yard, one very close together and one far apart. They work great. I like the smaller zing it than I had on my CRL. The lines are much more manageable. On my CRL, the extra line was always getting caught on the figure 9s when I was wrapping up my tarp. I like the tarp flyz much better. I thought I preferred the CRL for ease of tarp adjustment, but I think these are just as quick. With a CRL, I set the line, stepped back to eye it, then had to individually slide each prussik. It is about the same for the tarp flyz. Just loosen one a bit and tighten the other. I am sold. Thanks guys. Dutchware comes through again.

Eagle Eye
03-13-2013, 17:23
I got them today. I really like them. I went out and tried them on both sets of trees I hang from in my yard, one very close together and one far apart. They work great. I like the smaller zing it than I had on my CRL. The lines are much more manageable. On my CRL, the extra line was always getting caught on the figure 9s when I was wrapping up my tarp. I like the tarp flyz much better. I thought I preferred the CRL for ease of tarp adjustment, but I think these are just as quick. With a CRL, I set the line, stepped back to eye it, then had to individually slide each prussik. It is about the same for the tarp flyz. Just loosen one a bit and tighten the other. I am sold. Thanks guys. Dutchware comes through again.

Thats why I use them.

krshome
03-13-2013, 18:42
look at all this and then decide. Good luck

maggot
03-13-2013, 19:28
Awesome info...

Thanks for sharing

Sunbiz
03-13-2013, 22:32
Thanks krshome for the pics...really shows there is no end to how to hang your tarp...comes down to preference and experiance.

krshome
03-14-2013, 06:27
Thanks krshome for the pics...really shows there is no end to how to hang your tarp...comes down to preference and experiance.

Your welcome! I use two different setups Dutch Flys on my small tarp (I really love). On my big tarp Dutch hook on a continuos ridge line to connect to a continuos loop on one ends D-ring. On the other end of the tarps D-ring a stinger. I have done a lot of different set ups but these two are my favorites for now. Have fun fooling around and just buy everything Dutch sells, it's all good.

engine386
03-14-2013, 12:00
I'm starting to get a headache, thinking of all the different ways I can set up my tarp! :lol:

Loki
03-14-2013, 13:19
I'm starting to get a headache, thinking of all the different ways I can set up my tarp! :lol:

Solution is to set it up just one way (at first), and dream about the way you'll set it up the next time - while napping in the hammock underneath your tarp.:D

Sunbiz
03-14-2013, 17:00
Solution is to set it up just one way (at first), and dream about the way you'll set it up the next time - while napping in the hammock underneath your tarp.

The real truth is there is no solution. As long as Dutch keeps Makin stuff were going to fiddle until there's an extra L in the word.

On my big tarp Dutch hook on a continuos ridge line to connect to a continuos loop on one ends D-ring. On the other end of the tarps D-ring a stinger.

I use the same setup on my hex except I have stingers on both ends. So easy to set up, and so easy to center. No knots, no buries… Just a real quick set up.
But you know what I think I'm going to try your way for a change (sorry just an excuse to buy some more Dutch stuff!)

krshome
03-14-2013, 18:20
The real truth is there is no solution. As long as Dutch keeps Makin stuff were going to fiddle until there's an extra L in the word.

I use the same setup on my hex except I have stingers on both ends. So easy to set up, and so easy to center. No knots, no buries… Just a real quick set up.
But you know what I think I'm going to try your way for a change (sorry just an excuse to buy some more Dutch stuff!)

Ya you know I tried your way too just for sh..s and giggles. I liked it but I think I'm going to put the Dutch hook back on the one end.

Ecaz
08-20-2015, 08:29
Sorry to reopen this thread.

Just picked up 2x Ridge Runngers with Cloudburst tarps...

Should I use Flyz or Stingerz

Dutch
08-20-2015, 10:48
If you plan on moving them from tarp to
Tarp choose stingers

Theguywitheyebrows
08-20-2015, 12:49

this makes me want to move to PA and work for dutch. i want some of the flyz too, maybe i could use the fleaz even. dutch, would you mind givin us an outline of how the fleaz stack up to the flyz and the stingerz? im thinkin the fleaz is what i'll be buying, but before i do i wanna make sure they're the right tool. not that i guess it matters, as you'd be awesome enough to switch'em out if i didn't end up liking them.