PDA

View Full Version : CO > Front Range > Jan-Feb: Fourth Annual Colorado Winter Hang Planning Thread

Mustardman
11-28-2012, 11:56
Well, folks, it's about time to start our CO Winter Hang planning. Our 2012 Fall hang (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60640) had temperatures dipping as low as 11F, but we're sticking with calling it a "fall hang", which means it's time to plan our actual winter hang.

For some of the previous hangs we've held, check out our prior trip reports:

First Annual CO Winter Hang - 2010 (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15118) - Burning Bear Campground, Grant CO
Second annual CO Winter Hang - early 2011 (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43957)
Dec 2011 Winter Hang (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43957) - At a wolf sanctuary :scared: - only a few people showed up, but it sounded like a great time was had!

For the winter hangs, we've typically done a car camping or very short hike-in. This has worked well to give potential new winter campers an opportunity to experiment with gear, and have a bailout plan if temperatures get too cold.

Our "old reliable" location is Burning Bear campground, which is a pretty great place, but we can definitely consider something else. Let's start brainstorming ideas for both location and timing, and get this show on the road!

OutandBack
11-28-2012, 12:03
I hope to make this one.
It would be nice if we can select a place that has something to see and or do while we are out there. A hike to someplace cool or a view, etc.
I don't enjoy standing around at camp in the freezing woods with nothing to see or do.

Boulderman
11-28-2012, 12:42
The Ceran Saint Vrain trail by Jamestown has some great hammocking spots just a short hike in, and campfires are allowed, but I worry it might be too popular a trail unless there's tons of snow.

ferret
11-28-2012, 17:57
keepin an eye on this, if it's Feb maybe I can get out there in time

Mustardman
11-29-2012, 12:18
I should also note that I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of Feb, so for me personally, either Jan or late-ish Feb is ideal.

Atticus21
11-29-2012, 12:31
Hi all. I am new to this. Maybe we can go on a field trip to the Warbonnet Factory in Evergreen, Co. and then up 285. It looks like we all have some Warbonnet stuff. Maybe Brandon has some new stuff to show us? We can invite him along.
...Just a thought.

OutandBack
11-29-2012, 12:41
I should also note that I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of Feb, so for me personally, either Jan or late-ish Feb is ideal.

Are you hoping to camp/hang with snow?
I have no preference on time after Christmas my schedule is open.

Trailrider 42, ringtail(food) and myself are planning a snowshoe possible pulk hike and hang sometime this winter
but we need a goodly amount of the white stuff. No date has been discussed since it's still 60/30F and
fire bans are going back up.

Cannibal
11-29-2012, 13:22
The Cerain Saint Vrain trail by Jamestown has some great hammocking spots just a short hike in, and campfires are allowed, but I worry it might be too popular a trail unless there's tons of snow.
By Jamestown? I didn't know about that one! There is a trail by the same name just outside of Fraser. I'm always up for a trail I don't know about! :woot:

We can invite him along.
He usually shows up for these things anyway. Kind of like that damnable Snap-On truck showing up at a worksite; kiss your next several paychecks goodbye. :lol:

I very much doubt I'll be able to make anything in January. I might have a shot at a Feb date, but even that is questionable. I'll keep my eye on this thread though and try to juggle the schedule as best I can.

Mustardman
11-29-2012, 13:29
Maybe Brandon has some new stuff to show us? We can invite him along.

Brandon brought a truckload of quilts, hammocks, and accessories to the Fall Hang. He sold several of us some new Ridgerunners, loaned out some hammocks and quilts for people to try, and let me use a sock prototype that was using a different, less breathable fabric than he normally uses.

He hasn't done this huge of a gear demo at all of the hangs he's attended, but this one was special because we were celebrating the release of the much-awaited Ridgerunner after years of anticipation. I'm willing to bet that, if he's able to come, and you wanted to check out a specific piece of gear, he could make sure there was one available. Then again, these hangs are usually about 90% Warbonnet hammocks anyway, so you can usually find someone who has whatever it is you're curious about :D

I ended up buying a sock, a Winter Yeti, and a Winter Lynx from him on the spot. It was an expensive weekend :lol:

Boothill
11-29-2012, 20:13
SOUTH DAKOTA CONTINGENT CHECKING IN!........will keep an eye on this and hopefully myself and sodakgrrl can make this one too as we had such a great time at the "fall" hang......still think 10° qualifies as a winter hang tho :)

boot

trailryder42
12-02-2012, 11:47
I'll be watching this thread too. I'm open to time frame.

Kaliram
12-03-2012, 00:09
Yo, guys! I've been missing you all. I'm out in California now, along with my beloved partner, Leighana, living along the Russian River near the northern Calif. coast. It's been raining like crazy, and the river is scheduled to reach full flood stage sometime tonight. Ah!.... The adventure continues.

We're coming to Evergreen, CO, for the month of January. A stop to Brandon's most certainly would seem in order. ....But what we really want to do is this Winter hang! My vote is in for January, anytime after the 14th. My son, Kai, age 10, is now a seasoned hanger, and has been begging to do something like this.

Kyle
12-03-2012, 02:13
Wish I could pull this off. My gear is much improved from the fall hang, but I doubt I'm even close to ready for real winter temperatures. Clothing system seems to be what's holding me back at this point, but I'm definitely making the next hang in milder weather (do we do spring/summer hangs, I assume?), and I'll actually be hanging that time!

Seriously, any newbies in the area (or willing to make the drive), the Colorado group is an amazing bunch of people. Highly recommend getting to one of these.

I'll miss seeing you all this time, but I look forward to the report (I trust you'll get a group shot, MM), and seeing y'all at a hang next year!

rhinoman
12-03-2012, 11:04
I'm in as well. Just need to ensure we don't have a gig the weekend that's chosen. If we can first decide on the weekend and then the location that will allow me (and others?) to block out the date.
Dave

rickycodie
12-03-2012, 12:43
Keeping my eye out, I'm I'm fort Collins, and deployed till February, but still interested.

OutandBack
12-13-2012, 11:03
Mustardman any more thoughts on a time and place?

I'd like to throw this spot out for a real winter hang
Kenosha Pass South Park Overlook (10,400ft) 1.5 mile hike/snowshoe depending on if there is snow.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8169570834_787db205f4_z.jpg

Excellent parking at the Colorado Trail TH seg 6 right on 285 (always plowed)
Hike 3/4 miles West up seg 6 then bushwack 100 yards up a power line to a forestry road to camp at the overlook to South Park.
Great wilderness camping with enough tree's to support 100 hammocks, lots of downed wood for a group fire and a
old bushcraft basecamp fire pit with wind block.

Winter Kenosha No snow: Click on 1st photo for a manual slide show

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandback2012/sets/72157632235609339/

Winter Kenosha with snow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandback2012/sets/72157631967349671/

Mustardman
12-13-2012, 23:35
I've been trying to wait for suggestions O&B, I always just end up using Burning Bear again when I make the decisions... :D

I like the looks of that Kenosha overlook, although some might be opposed to the hike in, for a winter hang where we often end up with less experienced hangers who want the option to retreat to their cars in an emergency.

breyman
12-14-2012, 09:28
The trailhead OutAndBack mentioned is also at the Kenosha East campground, which is open for business in the winter. It has lots of trees, is just a few hundred yards off of US-285 and would be suitable.

OutandBack
12-14-2012, 09:48
I've been trying to wait for suggestions O&B, I always just end up using Burning Bear again when I make the decisions... :D

I like the looks of that Kenosha overlook, although some might be opposed to the hike in, for a winter hang where we often end up with less experienced hangers who want the option to retreat to their cars in an emergency.

Understood. This area, do to altitude and time of year, does require good equipment and winter camping experience. It is not a beginner trip.

standing by...

fuhgawee
12-14-2012, 10:22
just passing by, had to say....

OB Awesome pic, wishing I had that view right now, instead of a desk full of work.

Mustardman
12-14-2012, 11:09
Kenosha East was one of the places being considered for the fall hang as well - if it's only a difference of a mile or so, we could perhaps plan the hang for Kenosha East, and those who want to be adventurous could set up camp further up, while newer people hang closer to the cars. It could be a "best of both worlds" sort of thing, with a short hike one direction or the other to visit campfires.

I often have trouble motivating myself to take a dayhike at these gatherings because I'm talking gear and sharing food the whole time, but knowing that there might be a fire waiting at the other end might make it a bit easier :D

OutandBack
12-14-2012, 11:13
just passing by, had to say....

OB Awesome pic, wishing I had that view right now, instead of a desk full of work.

Thanks glad you enjoyed them and got a little break from your work load.
I make that trip every winter it is a highlite of my winter hanging.
Even if the official winter group hang selects another place I will be do this trip again this winter.
The trip is open to anyone with good gear and a little winter camping experience. I'll post an invite after the holidays.

OutandBack
12-14-2012, 11:33
Kenosha East was one of the places being considered for the fall hang as well - if it's only a difference of a mile or so, we could perhaps plan the hang for Kenosha East, and those who want to be adventurous could set up camp further up, while newer people hang closer to the cars. It could be a "best of both worlds" sort of thing, with a short hike one direction or the other to visit campfires.

I often have trouble motivating myself to take a dayhike at these gatherings because I'm talking gear and sharing food the whole time, but knowing that there might be a fire waiting at the other end might make it a bit easier :D

In the Fall Kenosha Pass is so packed with visitors I no longer go up there but in winter it's a wonderland with only day hikers/snowshoeing.
The campground will be empty, the gate is open to the sites and the bathroom is open. There is no firewood.

Wind and night time temps are the only things that can't be predicted.
Last year I had an open winter hang which had to be cut short. Temp prediction was for 40F day 20F night.
We got a 5F night with 15mph sustained winds. I slept well with 20 degree quilts a 2QZQ UQP, heavy down jacket,
insulated over pants, down booties. But the wind is what sent us home early, it was relentless.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8071319619_b23ecaff9b_o.jpg

Mustardman
12-14-2012, 11:39
I'm sold - if there are no objections, I think we should hold it in Kenosha East campground, with the option to follow O&B to hang out a little further from the campground and cars if you so choose. Any thoughts on dates?

OutandBack
12-14-2012, 11:49
I'm sold - if there are no objections, I think we should hold it in Kenosha East campground, with the option to follow O&B to hang out a little further from the campground and cars if you so choose. Any thoughts on dates?

My calendar was open right after the 1st however my wife just informed me we will be spending Jan 1 thru Jan 5 in Glenwood and Aspen.
So I am free any weekend after the 5th. Nailing down a date soon would help others with there schedules.

Is anyone in contact with JustJeff? Is he deployed?
Would love for him to attend. He has the absolute best hanging and gear tips.

rhinoman
12-14-2012, 12:04
I thought I remember seeing a post where Jeff said he was available in February but I can't find it now.

Good dates for me at this point are: Jan 19-20, Feb 2-3, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24

OutandBack
12-14-2012, 12:24
I thought I remember seeing a post where Jeff said he was available in February but I can't find it now.

Good dates for me at this point are: Jan 19-20, Feb 2-3, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24

All those dates work for me, would enjoy hanging with you again rhinoman

This might be a little self center of me but if Jeff can make it in Feb my vote would be the weekend he can make it.

rhinoman
12-14-2012, 12:43
All those dates work for me, would enjoy hanging with you again rhinoman

Likewise! :)

This might be a little self center of me but if Jeff can make it in Feb my vote would be the weekend he can make it.

This gets my vote as well!

Just Jeff
12-14-2012, 14:00
We have some things up in the air right now with Air Force travel...late Jan, and probably all of Feb minus the last weekend, would be my best options.

Might be moving to VA this summer, too...so this will be my last winter hang for a while!

fuhgawee
12-14-2012, 14:31
The trip is open to anyone with good gear and a little winter camping experience. I'll post an invite after the holidays.

Thanks, doubtful this time but I do want to pop in on one of the hangs. Think I have enough down ;^)

I grew up in Denver, went to WSC in Gunnison. Always enjoyed coming over Kenosha, the view of southpark.

OutandBack
12-15-2012, 12:19
We have some things up in the air right now with Air Force travel...late Jan, and probably all of Feb minus the last weekend, would be my best options.

Might be moving to VA this summer, too...so this will be my last winter hang for a while!

I think we have a time and place for the 2013 CWH.
Mustardman do you want to make it official?

The last weekend in Feb is some time off and as much as I enjoy winter hanging
I'd like to offer up a couple unofficial winter hangs for those that could not make the end of
Feb CWH or just enjoys winter camping as much as me.
I was thinking Jan 11,12,13 and Feb 1,2,3 PM me if interested
I will make another planning thread for these outings.

Mustardman
12-16-2012, 12:31
I think Jeff was saying that any time in Feb EXCEPT the last weekend is doable for him. I am turning out to be busy basically every weekend in Feb, so I will turn it over to you guys to handle the planning - I will have to bow out of the organization because work is getting pretty hectic at the moment. I'll try to find time to attend whenever you plan it, but don't count on me.

Just Jeff
12-16-2012, 13:03
Yeah - I might be traveling the last weekend in Feb.

trailryder42
12-16-2012, 22:28
I like this idea too.

OutandBack
12-17-2012, 00:11
I think Jeff was saying that any time in Feb EXCEPT the last weekend is doable for him. I am turning out to be busy basically every weekend in Feb, so I will turn it over to you guys to handle the planning - I will have to bow out of the organization because work is getting pretty hectic at the moment. I'll try to find time to attend whenever you plan it, but don't count on me.

Yeah - I might be traveling the last weekend in Feb.

I like this idea too.

OK so I'll toss out FEB 1,2,3 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) for Kenosha East campground, with the option to follow O&B to hang out a little further from the campground and cars if you so choose.
All interested in hanging in the snow post up if this weekend works.

disclaimer: Colorado Weather in February can be very unpredictable. In the event of a winter storm we will move the date. Kenosha Pass can be absolutely beautiful or hell on earth.

Just Jeff
12-17-2012, 00:30
I *think* that'll work for me...put me down as a "pretty sure." Might even bring a friend along.

ringtail-THFKAfood
12-17-2012, 08:53
I am in. Extra words.

rhinoman
12-17-2012, 10:04
Count me in as well. It's on the schedule so it won't get "stepped on!"

OutandBack
12-18-2012, 10:40
Thanks guys for the early sign up.
Hopefully more crazy winter hangers and hangers to be will know their schedules a bit better after the holidays.

My current plan is to head up Friday morning and setup a base camp in Kenosha East Campground.
Spend Friday night there and around noon Saturday (most should have arrived) do a short backpack hike to Kenosha Pass Overlook. (unofficial name)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8169575724_e625d52b69_c.jpg

After camp is setup near the old bushcraft basecamp day hike/snowshoe the area. Basically hike along the overlook checking out the South Park valley.
Have breakfast Sunday morning and head home.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8215/8269140805_a3488332f8_z.jpg

I like using Jefferson, CO for weather conditions for Kenosha Pass.
IF a storm or high winds are predicted we'll reschedule to the next weekend.

Boothill
12-18-2012, 19:41
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8215/8269140805_a3488332f8_z.jpg

that looks like the ever elusive creature the "farting owl" in its natural habitat

boot

OutandBack
12-19-2012, 01:13
that looks like the ever elusive creature the "farting owl" in its natural habitat

boot

Yes it is. He, Ringtail(food), and myself were up there last winter.

RkyMtnChkwgn
12-24-2012, 10:55
Maybe it's late enough into the weekend that it won't really matter but maybe it does- just so everyone's aware, the Superbowl is Feb 3.

OutandBack
12-24-2012, 11:10
Maybe it's late enough into the weekend that it won't really matter but maybe it does- just so everyone's aware, the Superbowl is Feb 3.

We typically break camp right after breakfast on Sunday morning and head home.
For most in the Denver metro area and the Springs is about a 1 hour drive home.

For those traveling any distance, Denver has some of the best sports bars for game watching.

EDIT: With further thought, I'm not a FB fan and did not consider the SB, sorry.
If this game is an issue I have no problems rescheduling.
Let's see what everyone who is planning to make this trip thinks.

For me, Colorado bluebird weather is paramount and there is no way to predict that until about 3 days before the weekend.

ringtail-THFKAfood
12-24-2012, 12:47
I am a football fan. The Broncos might even be playing in that game, but no conflict for me. We will be home in plenty of time for the game/party.

I do not really understand football. The Bengals ran for only 14 yards and still beat the Steelers, but the Chiefs ran for 352 yards and lost to the Colts. Go figure.

Just Jeff
12-24-2012, 13:04
I might have a new (to me) fifth wheel by then. If y'all wanted to pick a place a 38' trailer could go, we could have a heated base. Definitely don't want that to replace campfire time, though...there's nothing like drinking hot bourbon cider warmed on the fire, with friends. (Almost said "hot bourbon cider with friends warmed on the fire" but that would be weird!)

I'm all good for a short backpack, too...whatever will get the most folks there!

Boothill
12-24-2012, 15:29
there's nothing like drinking hot bourbon cider warmed on the fire, with friends. (Almost said "hot bourbon cider with friends warmed on the fire" but that would be weird!)

would of been down right scary :scared: if it was being posted by cannibal!

boot

OutandBack
01-01-2013, 11:46
Was thinking of heading up and scouting the snow conditions on the 12th (Saturday) if we get a little break in the weather. Will take gear to spend the night and decide once there.

If anyone else would like to join me that would be great.
Planning to leave the house Sat morning between 9-10 in the AM.
Will post campground and trail condition picts on my return.

OutandBack
01-01-2013, 16:01
With nothing to do today (all honey do's complete) I decided to gather and weigh the winter kit I plan to take on this trip.
Hopefully it will help you in your kit decisions and if I forgot anything please leave a comment.
I totally forgot how bulky winter gear can be. Sure am glad I picked up this monster of a pack when it was on sale for 79 bucks.
It's huge but I needed every CI. Total weight with all gear, food and water containers sans water 24#

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8224/8334059845_f4ce47128e_z.jpg

Items inside:
Sleep system: Winter Gnome hammock with breathable top cover, 20F full UQ, UQP, 5F SB, 12'x8.5' syl tarp with doors one end, 6 snow stakes.
Camp clothing: Heavy Down coat with hood, syn overpants, assorted gloves and mittens, watchmans cap, 2 pair spare socks.
Cooking: White gas stove and snow melting pot, pot gripper, Caldera Cone, alky stove, 800ml Ti pot, coffee cup, long handled spoon.
Misc: ditty bag with all the usual personnel items, TP etc. Chemical hand warmers, headlamp, camera, spare lighter , fire steel.
Food: Mtn House FD with fresh additions like extra cheeze and or meat, Honey Jack, poptarts, Christmas fudge, Via coffee, Hot Chololate.

The side pockets are for whitegas and water. I've always had an issue with packing liquids with my down.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8335116348_9b7b05c6ee_z.jpg

Just making this post I just realized I need some wood processing tools.
Will add a 24" saw(1#) and batoning knife.(1/2#)

Isheian
01-07-2013, 00:20
Hopefully my gear will arrive in time for this! I should be fine... So long as there is wood to burn. I just found this and was kinda hoping for the wolf preserve again, but this sounds cool as well. Plus anyplace vetted by OnB has to be worth a look see. And i dont have classes friday thru sunday. Should be able to make it, like 89%...

Whats the stats? Water available assuming snow is lacking? Driving directions or way to find them? Also, anyone heading up from colorado springs, it be useful to have someone to follow up.

fartingOWL
01-07-2013, 00:24
I'm in. Gotta get back to my natural habitat :sleep:

OutandBack
01-07-2013, 10:10
Hopefully my gear will arrive in time for this! I should be fine... So long as there is wood to burn. I just found this and was kinda hoping for the wolf preserve again, but this sounds cool as well. Plus anyplace vetted by OnB has to be worth a look see. And i dont have classes friday thru sunday. Should be able to make it, like 89%...

Whats the stats? Water available assuming snow is lacking? Driving directions or way to find them? Also, anyone heading up from colorado springs, it be useful to have someone to follow up.

No water source this time of year. I'm scouting the area this coming weekend so will have snow conditions to report. There is lots of wood.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8270205850_a6bf738383_z.jpg

I'm in. Gotta get back to my natural habitat :sleep:

fO it will be great to hang with you again.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8270206262_f4abf315a5_z.jpg

OutandBack
01-07-2013, 10:29
The parking and campground are very easy to find.
They are right on Hwy 285 at the top of Kenosha Pass.
There is lots of signage at the top of the pass.
The car camp ground for Friday night is on the East side of the road.
The planned hike backcountry hang for Saturday is about 1 mile West.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8506/8358316532_3b2f9fd91e_o.jpg

Isheian
01-07-2013, 12:30
So what's the plan for water with it below freezing, and possibly not just lying on the ground?

trailryder42
01-08-2013, 21:27
So what's the plan for water with it below freezing, and possibly not just lying on the ground?

I guess bring what you think you'd need if there was no other sources, then pack in the necessary amount once you get there and see conditions. Then sleep with your water at night to prevent it from freezing, unless Bob knows another trick.

I see the temp is forecasted to be a high of 12* with 40-50% chance of up to 1" of snow.

Isheian
01-09-2013, 00:43
I guess bring what you think you'd need if there was no other sources, then pack in the necessary amount once you get there and see conditions. Then sleep with your water at night to prevent it from freezing, unless Bob knows another trick.

I see the temp is forecasted to be a high of 12* with 40-50% chance of up to 1" of snow.

Gah?! So two 6 gallon containers full to use and share may be a bad idea.....:confused: so much to learn about winter camping.

OutandBack
01-09-2013, 11:23

That's my plan.
I like using thick nalgene 1L bottles and metal bottles that can be set by the fire to thaw them. Over night I'll bury the nalgene's in the snow, top down.

For my morning coffee and breakfast I'll put water in my pot and don't really care if it freezes. It just takes a little longer to boil. In winter you don't want to skimp on fuel. Melting snow and bringing frozen water to a boil takes a lot so I double what I think i'll need.
============

Weather forecast for this weekends scout trip looks pretty bad with that big cold front coming in. I'll decide Sat morning if the scout trip is on. I might just take a drive up there, snap a few picts and head home.

Colorado weather is so hard to predict I want to post again if we do not get good weather( blue skies, no wind, 30/10F) for the first week in Feb I don't want to try a hang at Kenosha, been there done that, no fun.

I want to apologize to those thinking of driving any distance to attend this hang for being so up in the air about canceling or moving the date of this hang.
Anyone that lives on the front range of the Rocky Mountains knows a winter camp out can turn into a survival test pretty darn fast. It's the wind.

Isheian
01-09-2013, 11:26
Should we have a fall back location incase of foul weather?

OutandBack
01-09-2013, 12:02
Should Kenosha Pass be too windy the alternate location will be White Ranch.

Info and map to White Ranch
http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R57.htm

1 mile hike in from parking lot.
Free camping, cut and split wood is provided.
No water source unless there's snow on the ground.
Nice day hiking/snowshoeing trails with open views.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8068/8196172133_7eb3ef154d_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8197264324_4fb5f425e5_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8060/8197263244_74e97fc986_c.jpg

Just Jeff
01-09-2013, 12:14
For a backup, anyone want to consider the campground on the AF Academy? Here are a few benefits:
- It's right off the interstate and the roads are likely to be clean if snow moves in.
- There are plenty of day hike or overnight opportunities. I'll volunteer to lead a hike up Eagles Peak, subject to weather. Pretty amazing view of the Academy and Colorado Springs. Bring binos and probably YakTrax. We could all hike up, and anyone who wants to camp up there can stay overnight...you can see an amazing sunrise but you have to time it right b/c it's COLD AND WINDY on the exposed peak. Camping spots are pretty well protected, though. It has a small stream but I don't know the status...should be plenty of snow and ice to melt, though.
- It's a tourist thing, if anyone wants to visit. I could show y'all around the terrazzo where normal tourists don't get to go.
- It's open to the public from the gate to the campground (by the stadium) and to the Visitor Center (where we would park for the day hike). Just need a driver's license.
- It's near restaurants for the after-hang lunch.
- It has wi-fi for updating HF about the hang.

Downsides:
- It's mainly an RV campground, but it has lots of trees. We'd likely have some company with folks asking about hammocks.
- There's a railroad track relatively close.
- No firearms on federal installations, if that's a concern for you. But we have cops with M-4s so you should be safe.

Obviously it's not a wilderness thing like we usually do, but it's a fair backup plan if y'all want to consider it. It should be open no matter what the weather does, and there's a lot of flexibility for Saturday hike/camp if weather is good.

I'll check on any issues with hanging hammocks if y'all are interested, but I don't expect any prohibitions.

OutandBack
01-09-2013, 12:19
There is tons of great winter hammock kit / sleeping gear need to stay warm over night here on HF.net but not much talk about clothing esp around camp in winter.

The system I have used for the past 4 winters has proven very warm.
When hiking I wear silk long underwear, thick nylon pants, silk LS top, micro fleese 1/4 zip pull over, and heavy wool top shirt (boreal shirt) wool socks, winter hiking boots with gaiters, light wool gloves. For my head a wool watchmans cap and sun glasses.

In camp after chores are done I'll change my socks to dry ones, remove the heavy wool over shirt(boreal) and slip on syn over pants and a heavy down jacket.

disregard the knee, elbow pads, and helmet they are for winter bike packing.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8173/8071244442_39e0a304ed_z.jpg

OutandBack
01-09-2013, 12:21
For a backup, anyone want to consider the campground on the AF Academy? Here are a few benefits:
- It's right off the interstate and the roads are likely to be clean if snow moves in.
- There are plenty of day hike or overnight opportunities. I'll volunteer to lead a hike up Eagles Peak, subject to weather. Pretty amazing view of the Academy and Colorado Springs. Bring binos and probably YakTrax. We could all hike up, and anyone who wants to camp up there can stay overnight...you can see an amazing sunrise but you have to time it right b/c it's COLD AND WINDY on the exposed peak. Camping spots are pretty well protected, though. It has a small stream but I don't know the status...should be plenty of snow and ice to melt, though.
- It's a tourist thing, if anyone wants to visit. I could show y'all around the terrazzo where normal tourists don't get to go.
- It's open to the public from the gate to the campground (by the stadium) and to the Visitor Center (where we would park for the day hike). Just need a driver's license.
- It's near restaurants for the after-hang lunch.

Downsides:
- It's mainly an RV campground...may get some generator noise, but we'd also likely have some company with folks asking about hammocks.
- There's a railroad track relatively close.
- No firearms on federal installations, if that's a concern for you. But we have cops with M-4s so you should be safe.

Obviously it's not a wilderness thing like we usually do, but it's a fair backup plan if y'all want to consider it. It should be open no matter what the weather does, and there's a lot of flexibility for Saturday hike/camp if weather is good.

I'm not a car camper Jeff if this is the preferred location I'll turn the lead over to you.

Just Jeff
01-09-2013, 12:25
It honestly doesn't make a difference to me...I was just offering it up as an option for backup. I get to see this stuff all the time! I'll be happy with whatever the group chooses so we get more folks there.

Isheian
01-09-2013, 12:27
Im all for OnB's second spot. Ive seen the air force academy. I want o get out and away from civilization for a few days and really break in/ test my new gear!

OutandBack
01-09-2013, 13:43
It honestly doesn't make a difference to me...I was just offering it up as an option for backup. I get to see this stuff all the time! I'll be happy with whatever the group chooses so we get more folks there.

Yes, me too.
Not sure what the turnout will be.
Last year we attempted 2 winter hangs there were 4 at the first and 3 at the 2nd. The last one we had to bail early do to high frigid winds and it was at Kenosha.

It's a tough one in the winter, getting good weather, folks with the proper gear and desire. I don't expect more than 6 it's not like a summer or fall hang.

If we do pack in and someone needs a high volume backpack I have 2 I can loan. Both are +65L internal frame 1 is XL one is L with some adjustment.

breyman
01-09-2013, 14:03
Gah?! So two 6 gallon containers full to use and share may be a bad idea.....:confused: so much to learn about winter camping.

If you plan on leaving them near the car, these will actually work (I have the six-gallon blue styles, with fairly large spigots). As long as you do the same trick as out n back - place them upside down in snow - they'd be fine. Snow insulates right around/above freezing, so that works. Now, if there isn't enough snow to do that...

rhinoman
01-09-2013, 14:37
Watching with interest and still "in." The only concern I have at this point is my slightly over-stuffed 3-season quilts and if they'll do the trick in to the low teens and south!

:scared:

ringtail-THFKAfood
01-09-2013, 14:49
So Kenosha Pass is Plan A. I prefer the Air Force Academy for Plan B. I think we will get better attendance with a drive in hang. A GROUP hang is not intended to provide solitude.

Just Jeff
01-09-2013, 14:53
To be clear on the USAFA hang, we could meet up Friday at the campground so folks who may have inadequate gear have a car nearby. Saturday could be a day hike for some and an overnighter for the ones who don't like car camping.

(Not pushing this as a location...just offering info.)

And just FYI - the Eagles Peak hike is relatively short, but pretty steep. It'd call it strenuous, but it's easy to take it slow.

Isheian
01-09-2013, 16:05
Ultimately I am down either way. The archery range at the Air Force academy is pretty awesome, assuming its even still there. Ought to be in the same general area if memory serves. Any fishing nearby Jeff?

Just Jeff
01-09-2013, 17:37
The archery range and fishing areas are still available. For fishing, you need a state license and a base permit, which you can get from Outdoor Recreation. It's only a few bucks, IIRC. Not sure what you need for archery.

Isheian
01-10-2013, 01:00
Archery was just a rental fee at the range it's self. Fishing might be a fun idea as well, if we go I might just show up a day early.

OutandBack
01-10-2013, 11:28
So Kenosha Pass is Plan A. I prefer the Air Force Academy for Plan B. I think we will get better attendance with a drive in hang. A GROUP hang is not intended to provide solitude.

If a storm front is predicted for the front range, postponing plan A.
I'm not sure Plan B would be very fun either.
I guess I'm just a fare weather camper these day. Cloudy and wind is just depressing to me.
I still like/prefer winter camping, heck, even -10F is fine but blue sky with little wind is a must these days.
I guess being retire where one can pick and choose the best days has spoiled me.

Just Jeff
01-10-2013, 12:08
I guess being retire where one can pick and choose the best days has spoiled me.

Haha...I'm looking forward to these days!

ringtail-THFKAfood
01-10-2013, 13:07
If a storm front is predicted for the front range, postponing plan A.
I'm not sure Plan B would be very fun either.
I guess I'm just a fare weather camper these day. Cloudy and wind is just depressing to me.
I still like/prefer winter camping, heck, even -10F is fine but blue sky with little wind is a must these days.

I agree, but if someone has arranged a ski trip or vacation around this hang, then that would leave them with nothing to do for a couple of days. I think the area we are talking about is directly east of the NCO Club. The local orienteering club has a map of the area. I have spent many hours wandering aimlessly in that area.

It would be fun to have hot drinks around a campfire.

trailryder42
01-10-2013, 13:20
i guess being retire where one can pick and choose the best days has spoiled me.

lol........ I hear that !

OutandBack
01-11-2013, 12:45
No scout trip tomorrow. Big storm blowing in. The weather channel even gave this storm a name should give us a nice layer of fresh snow.
Wednesday's forecast is high of 50 so the plan is to drive up Wed morning and probably spend the nite. Should have picts up Thurs.

Isheian
01-11-2013, 12:48
Luck to ya!

Just Jeff
01-11-2013, 12:52
Yep - moved in fast, already snowing and blowing here.

OutandBack
01-16-2013, 10:43
Heading out to scout Kenosha today ~11am.
Bailey forecast 40s/15F, sunny, no wind for the next 3 days.
I'm hoping for 38/10F. Will report back with picts in a couple days hoping to spend at least one night at the overlook.

Isheian
01-17-2013, 01:07
Dunno about anyone else, but I'm so looking forward to this!

breyman
01-17-2013, 09:03
The boy scout troop I serve with is heading up to Kenosha tomorrow night for a winter campout. Excited to hear the report and how much snow is on the ground (the plan is to hopefully build some snow shelters)!

OutandBack
01-17-2013, 14:36
Just got home. What a perfect two days at 10,400ft.
I have my picts up on facebook if you want to look at them all.
Here's the link.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.470257986365121.14694117.100001427719019&type=1&l=eb8001cbf7

I will get them uploaded to flickr so I can post a few here.

Snow cover was packed powder 4" on trail to 12" deep in the trees.
The trail was packed so I just used winter boots, snow cleats, and gaiters.
I took the backpack and pulk. I decided to use the pulk and it pulled like a dream.

When I arrived at 12noon it was about 39f by my SUV temp gauge after setting up camp
I installed the battery to my min/max and it read 50F at 1:15. The min temp for the night
was 16F. little to no wind the whole night.

Thursday morning I hiked over to the bushcraft camp and found 12" of fluffy snow everywhere
in the trees. Lots of easy access wood but it would need to be cut.

The East campground was open however there was one snow drift that required crossing
any all wheel drive SUV or larger could do it but not a car.
The campground looks great however there is no sign of downed wood anywhere.
That is the biggest logistics thing I can think of is lack of wood.

Anyway if you have any questions fire away. I'll try to get a few picts posted soon.

Just Jeff
01-17-2013, 14:46
...any all wheel drive SUV or larger could do it but not a car...

Uh oh. You know how my Jeep is in the snow... :jj:

breyman
01-17-2013, 14:55
Nice report, thanks!

OutandBack
01-17-2013, 17:43
This is the entrance of Kenosha Pass campground East.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8390873490_8b31080a04_z.jpg

This snow drift could be an issue if you are driving a car.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8329/8389890819_309e2b4102_z.jpg

We will need to bring snow shoves to clear the tables and hanging areas.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8194/8390868802_85356e15f3_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8389783437_8a816af957_z.jpg

The sign says $15 per night but there were no slips in the sign in box.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8389783367_9eb40ac597_z.jpg

Here's a map of the campground. I did not have a favorite.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8390868954_5e9c2b26f3_b.jpg

Does anyone have access to firewood? I'm thinking 1/4 cord.

Isheian
01-17-2013, 20:18
Couldn't we just haul wood from the bushcraft camp? It's what, a mile? All hands on deck once or twice and we should be good right? Ill bring a buck saw, pocket chain saw, double bit axe, and a splitting wedge. So do we need snowshoes or will boots cut it? Guess I could try to bushcraft some snow shoes....

Also is Kenosha state or federal lands?

OutandBack
01-17-2013, 23:41
Couldn't we just haul wood from the bushcraft camp? It's what, a mile? All hands on deck once or twice and we should be good right? Ill bring a buck saw, pocket chain saw, double bit axe, and a splitting wedge. So do we need snowshoes or will boots cut it? Guess I could try to bushcraft some snow shoes....

Also is Kenosha state or federal lands?

That would not be my first choice. If we can't find a source of wood it just might be the glow of white gas stoves.

I took my snow shoes but did not need them for where I hiked.
Hiking/bushwacking over to the see Mt Guyot we might need snowshoes.
I just had cleats on my winter hiking boots with gaiters to keep the fluffy snow out.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8390869050_98308f1cd7.jpg

Even when I was breaking trail it was only 4-6" deep.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8508/8391638716_4b52002c2d_z.jpg

This area is National Forest about 1/4 mile South of the Colorado Trail

OutandBack
01-18-2013, 00:00
So its been about 12 months since I snow camped and I did forget a few things I thought I'd mention.
Forgot:
a cosey for the freeze dried food, had to use a spare shirt.
my axe for the tarp stakes, had to use a rock
iPod battery charger cable.
You can get about 2 albums of play on a dead battery if you put the iPod in your arm pit. haha
Sun screen for my face.
My water froze but I always fill my pot for coffee the night before.
After making coffee I used the rest of the water to thaw my frozen water bottle.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8372/8389787505_c573a4e80a_z.jpg

Other lessons learned Honey Jack tastes great with hot chocolate or coffee.
I used about 6oz of heet for 24 hours, I had budgeted 8
You can toast a poptart on the top of a caldera cone.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8047/8389787275_f32fa1b37b_z.jpg

Isheian
01-18-2013, 12:33
National means I don't have to pay, woot for saving money! If anyone knows of a free source in the springs ill bring a truck bed full of wood. Don't have gaiters, or cleats, need more foil tape for cozy (might use duct tape), sunscreen, and this is going to be fun. How bad is digging the latrine? I have a solution if that's unfeasible.

OutandBack
01-18-2013, 13:37
National means I don't have to pay, woot for saving money! If anyone knows of a free source in the springs ill bring a truck bed full of wood. Don't have gaiters, or cleats, need more foil tape for cozy (might use duct tape), sunscreen, and this is going to be fun. How bad is digging the latrine? I have a solution if that's unfeasible.

Ductape and grocery bags make good gaiters. If you have access to sheetmetal screws ($3 at hardware store) you can do this.
These are #8 Al ~3/8" long...hth

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8079977172_1b857bf02c.jpg

In the campground the bathrooms are open.
At the overlook you can dig down about 4".

ringtail-THFKAfood
01-18-2013, 15:10
How bad is digging the latrine? I have a solution if that's unfeasible.

Snowballs make the best toilet paper. :lol::lol:

I will throw all my yard waste in the car. Ought to be a good start on firewood.

Isheian
01-19-2013, 04:19
Campsite looks good. Make it a bit easier on this here rook. Snowballs are not appealing tp.

OutandBack
01-19-2013, 10:47
Snowballs make the best toilet paper. :lol::lol:

I will throw all my yard waste in the car. Ought to be a good start on firewood.
Thank you.
I paid a guy $200 to clean out my back yard this past fall so I don't have a stick of firewood left back there.

OutandBack
01-19-2013, 12:05
We are two weeks away from this hang. Should we do a roll call?

Off the top of my head the following have posted they are attending.

OutandBack
Ringtail(food)
JustJeff
Isheian
TrailRyder42
rhinoman
fartingOWL
RkyMtnChkwgn
jobo

May come:
ferret
Boothill and sodakgrrl
rickycodie

=================

The current plan is to gather/camp in the Kenosha East campground Friday/
Friday night then about 12noon Sat hike up to the South Park Overlook
and setup camp for Sat night. Sat afternoon day hike to view My Guyot.
Sunday morning break camp and head home on your own schedule.

Please post/confirm your attendance and comment if you like this plan or
would prefer to just camp in the campground the whole weekend and day hike to the overlook.
I'm good either way.

Isheian
01-19-2013, 13:31
I'm in either which way.

Just Jeff
01-19-2013, 14:08
I'm still in. I'm in for whichever plan most folks want...I'm good either way.

trailryder42
01-19-2013, 20:26
I'm committed. I haven't seen a confirmation of the event date in a while, so would someone post that? Bob said friday, so I'm assuming Feb. 8th?

I might be able to put together a pulk by then. Hmmm....

OutandBack
01-19-2013, 20:37
I'm committed. I haven't seen a confirmation of the event date in a while, so would someone post that? Bob said friday, so I'm assuming Feb. 8th?

I might be able to put together a pulk by then. Hmmm....

The date was set for Feb 1,2,3 Friday, Saturday, Sunday

RkyMtnChkwgn
01-20-2013, 19:51
Sounds like a pretty good plan, I'll be there.

jobo
01-20-2013, 22:58
I'm going to try to make it as well if my insulation shows up on time. Waiting for WB Yeti 3-season UQ, WBBB travel sock, and a 0deg UGQ TQ. I've already received my WBBB DL 1.7, WB MJ tarp, about 5/8" CCF pads to supplement the Yeti if needed, and a bunch of do-dads/rope/webbing to fit it all together with I hope.

I am a complete noob with hammocks but have been doing lots of reading on here. Probably not the best idea to make my first hang a winter one, but I figure the car and drive back to Denver won't be too bad if I fail completely on my first attempt :confused:

Jory

OutandBack
01-20-2013, 23:55
Sounds like a pretty good plan, I'll be there.
Hi RMC, Welcome.
I added your name to the list. Looking forward to meeting you.

I'm going to try to make it as well if my insulation shows up on time. Waiting for WB Yeti 3-season UQ, WBBB travel sock, and a 0deg UGQ TQ. I've already received my WBBB DL 1.7, WB MJ tarp, about 5/8" CCF pads to supplement the Yeti if needed, and a bunch of do-dads/rope/webbing to fit it all together with I hope.

I am a complete noob with hammocks but have been doing lots of reading on here. Probably not the best idea to make my first hang a winter one, but I figure the car and drive back to Denver won't be too bad if I fail completely on my first attempt :confused:

Jory

Hi Jory, Welcome.
I added your name to the list. Looking forward to meeting you.
I've read you can add a layer of reflectix (window shade material) to a CCF pad and it will do the job. I've not tried it though.
Also there is the hot water bottle trick and chemical hand warmers.
I only use a 20F UQ so I have done both water bottle and hand warmers.
I also sleep in my heavy down jacket and insulated over pants with balaclava and gloves.

Do either of you fellas have access to firewood?

rhinoman
01-21-2013, 11:23
I'm planning to attend though I'll likely "hang" out at the campground (TBD). I'm checking on firewood. I helped a friend tear down a fence last summer and I believe he still has some. I'll post when I know more.

Isheian
01-21-2013, 19:49
I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist. Hopefully there will be some freebie stuff available to burn before the group hang. Especially if no one objects to pallets.

jobo
01-21-2013, 20:29
I have a couple pieces of wood in my yard from a tree that was cut down this summer I haven't used yet. I can also pickup about an 1/8 of a cord on my way out of town from http://www.rmfirewood.com if we can't come up with enough before then.

If anyone else wants to toss in some money towards wood from those guys I can haul it, only willing to spend about $40-50 out of my own pocket though.

Jory

Isheian
01-22-2013, 01:14
I wouldn't know if I could chip in till the day of our trip. I'm fairly well broke till then unfortunately.

trailryder42
01-22-2013, 01:34
I have a couple pieces of wood in my yard from a tree that was cut down this summer I haven't used yet. I can also pickup about an 1/8 of a cord on my way out of town from http://www.rmfirewood.com if we can't come up with enough before then.

If anyone else wants to toss in some money towards wood from those guys I can haul it, only willing to spend about $40-50 out of my own pocket though.

Jory

Just looking at the pictures on that site, $50 should buy quite a bit, and it shouldn't need to all come out of your pocket. I'll go in on it.

OutandBack
01-22-2013, 10:22

Jory

Hi Jory thank you. I will chip in $20

I'm a little worried about any wood that might be treated like fencing or pallets. I've read they give off fumes that might be harmful.

Isheian
01-22-2013, 10:44
I'm a little worried about any wood that might be treated like fencing or pallets. I've read they give off fumes that might be harmful.
They ain't my first pick either. So I'll ignore pallets.

rhinoman
01-22-2013, 10:46
They ain't my first pick either. So I'll ignore pallets.

The fencing I was checking on had both un-painted infrastructure and painted slats. Unfortunately all that's left are the slats so I passed.

Pallets are normally hardwood and untreated/unpainted. I'd say if you find some bring them! :)

Isheian
01-22-2013, 20:23
So I'll grab anything available that can burn. With luck we will be ok on the firewood department.

jobo
01-22-2013, 22:11
I'll pick up some wood this week and try to post a pic this weekend of how much I can get for around $50, was thinking mixed hardwood and/or pinon. Will try to avoid popping and sparking pine with all the synthetics that will likely be around and figure the oak might be more expensive and not necessary for a camp/cook fire. If the amount doesn't look like enough to everyone I'll grab some more.

I won't turn down cash assistance but nobody needs to feel obligated. At $50 I figure it is cheaper than nearly every hotel these days and I hear the place we're going you don't have to worry about bed bugs, strange stains on the sheets, or kids playing football in the room above (plus two nights for one!). Now if someone wants me to bring a full cord that will be an entirelydifferent matter :mellow:, actually don't even ask as my f150 isn't going to handle the 2+ ton weight that a cord of hardwood weighs in at.

Jory

Isheian
01-22-2013, 23:33
2+ tons for a full cord of hardwood? Dang! I have heard great stories told by those who came before that burning pinon smells amazing.......subtle hinting in progress: warning!

RkyMtnChkwgn
01-23-2013, 22:01
OutandBack, thanks for the welcome, looking forward to it too.

Jobo, thanks, I'd be happy to pitch in $20 or whatever.

Mother Nature, bring on the snow!

jobo
01-25-2013, 13:04
Picked up the wood today, about half mixed hardwood ($3.50/cf) and the other half pinon ($4/cf). It was cheaper than I thought, only $43 and change for what is pictured below. It has been a long time since I've had a fire going in the winter so if anyone thinks we need more I can get another stack like shown given the number of people who have offered up to help pay. Whatever is left over can be divided up at the end of the weekend among those chipping in cash if desired.

Also, anyone planning on using a backpacking woodstove? If yes then I'll cut some of this down to 3-4" long pieces that'll fit in those - much easier to do on the bandsaw than with a handsaw :D.

Jory

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gZVA8Z-WjDk/UQLFq3kUT0I/AAAAAAAABWw/Ava3tWvX16A/s144/2013-01-25%252010.39.30.jpg

Isheian
01-25-2013, 13:46
That's some warm looking wood you got there!

trailryder42
01-25-2013, 13:48
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like that is 2 rows deep, In which case, I think that would be plenty of wood.

OutandBack
01-25-2013, 16:48
Picked up the wood today, about half mixed hardwood ($3.50/cf) and the other half pinon ($4/cf). It was cheaper than I thought, only $43 and change for what is pictured below. It has been a long time since I've had a fire going in the winter so if anyone thinks we need more I can get another stack like shown given the number of people who have offered up to help pay. Whatever is left over can be divided up at the end of the weekend among those chipping in cash if desired.

Also, anyone planning on using a backpacking woodstove? If yes then I'll cut some of this down to 3-4" long pieces that'll fit in those - much easier to do on the bandsaw than with a handsaw :D.

Jory

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gZVA8Z-WjDk/UQLFq3kUT0I/AAAAAAAABWw/Ava3tWvX16A/s144/2013-01-25%252010.39.30.jpg

That looks great Jory thank you very much.
I think since you picked it up and hauling it to the hang we can pickup the cost.
-Bob

jobo
01-25-2013, 17:16
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like that is 2 rows deep, In which case, I think that would be plenty of wood.

Actually just one row deep, think they are about 16" long or so.

I ran up to Kenosha Pass today as well snow is melting off pretty quickly and any passenger car should have zero problem getting to the campground (I was in a Hyundai Sonata). Where the snow is still on the road it is packed down hard with many dry dirt areas as well. At the rate it is melting unless something fresh falls we'll be back to bringing in water. Although there is a river only about 5 miles drive from the campground.

Jory

OutandBack
01-25-2013, 17:52

I ran up to Kenosha Pass today as well snow is melting off pretty quickly and any passenger car should have zero problem getting to the campground (I was in a Hyundai Sonata). Where the snow is still on the road it is packed down hard with many dry dirt areas as well. At the rate it is melting unless something fresh falls we'll be back to bringing in water. Although there is a river only about 5 miles drive from the campground.

Jory
It sound like a pulk and backpack is in order in case there's no snow on the trail for those moving camp to the overlook Sat.

Isheian
01-25-2013, 21:02
I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is I have a short truck bed full of wood. Mostly aspen and pine with a touch of 2x4 and the like.

Bad news is its mostly fresh cut. I'm going to bust tail and try to get it all split ASAP so it has time to dry before next weekend. Me, my bucksaw, and my splitting wedge will be busy.

trailryder42
01-26-2013, 00:28
Do you really think we'll go thru that whole load of Jobos in 2 nights?

I don't see it, unless you guys keep a fire burning all day.

Isheian
01-26-2013, 01:05
Dunno, we may and we may not. Better over prepared than under prepared is my view, besides anything we don't use can be set aside for use later. It also give me a bit of a workout and another way to contribute to the outing.

OutandBack
01-26-2013, 10:19
Looks like we will be getting new snow in the high country starting this Sunday(27th) thru Tuesday. Just what the doctor ordered. Nothing like fresh snow for a winter hang.

I'm slowly packing the SUV. I don't do much car camping so I'm throwing stuff in like a lawn chair for sitting around the fire, couple gallons of water in a large cooler, etc as I think of them.

OutandBack
01-26-2013, 12:07
I'd like to toss this question out to those that are watching this thread and saying...

Man I'd go to that Colorado Winter Hang if I just had ________________.

If you're missing a piece or two please post maybe one of us can loan you that item for the hang.

Isheian
01-26-2013, 13:53
Ill vouch for what OnB is saying, at the wolf hang I was planning on attending as a ground dweller. Cannibal set me up with a complete, different, hammock setup for the two nights we were there.

Isheian
01-27-2013, 03:36
I'm about a quarter of a way through the wood, only a single blister thus far! Wet wood is a pain to split, I've actually considered getting the full sized sledgehammer rather than just my little three pound sledge. Using a mix of buck saw to cut the overly long pieces down a bit, axe to help break in half and split when I can't saw no more nor safely swing one handed, 5 lbs wedge and 3lbs hand sledgehammer for splitting most of the time. And after the majority of a day working at it everything form the bottom of the rib cage up hurts. But it fun, and a good work out.

OutandBack
01-27-2013, 12:40

Jory

Hi Jory,
Did you take any picts? Was the snow in the campground melted?
When I was there it was about 12" deep in the trees.

jobo
01-28-2013, 11:42
It was a quick drive-through of the campground so I only snapped one photo. This is the middle of the loop at the campground and was the most bare as it seemed to have the most sun exposure. This was taken 1/25.

Good news is the latest weather guess, er forecast, claims 4-9" of snow today/tonight with some more tomorrow. And temps won't be above freezing until Friday.

Jory

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XmLM7benNV8/UQaTeyQk4WI/AAAAAAAABW4/MS1cHH_0Ass/s400/2013-01-25%252013.17.59.jpg

jobo
01-28-2013, 16:27
I might have to run back up there Wednesday and see the snow, grab some more pics. Sitting at work anticipating the hang is driving me stir crazy. I really want to be in a hammock instead of at work, anyone ever try hanging a hammock in a cubicle? These frames are pretty sturdy and it is 11.3' from corner to corner, now just have to figure out how to get the boss to play along... might have to get another hammock to put in his office.

Jory

OutandBack
01-29-2013, 13:09
6 inches of new snow at my place last night. Suns out today. Don't know if kenosha got any.
I'm getting excited. Really looking forward to hanging and hiking in the snow.

jobo
01-29-2013, 15:33
Has anyone ever used just pads in these temperatures? I just got the bad news that my UQ won't be shipping until next week at the earliest (WB still haven't received their down). I have a 1/2" and 1/8" EvaRest from Lawson which seems like really good CCF, only 24" wide. Will tape together a couple pieces of reflectix to add a little more width and warmth. Have a hammock sock to help with convective heat loss.

Any thoughts on if this will be enough or if I should try to add a bit more since I am lacking any UQ? Ideas on what works well as a last minute addition?

rhinoman
01-29-2013, 15:59
Has anyone ever used just pads in these temperatures? I just got the bad news that my UQ won't be shipping until next week at the earliest (WB still haven't received their down). I have a 1/2" and 1/8" EvaRest from Lawson which seems like really good CCF, only 24" wide. Will tape together a couple pieces of reflectix to add a little more width and warmth. Have a hammock sock to help with convective heat loss.

Any thoughts on if this will be enough or if I should try to add a bit more since I am lacking any UQ? Ideas on what works well as a last minute addition?

Assuming I can kick this cold by Friday I'll bring my WB Yeti (3-season) you can use. Couple that with a pad and you should be OK.
Dave

MuseJr
01-29-2013, 16:05
6 inches of new snow at my place last night. Suns out today. Don't know if kenosha got any.
I'm getting excited. Really looking forward to hanging and hiking in the snow.

I've had 10" in my yard since last night and it is still coming down. I hope this storm hops the hill and gives you something to play in for the hang. :)

OutandBack
01-29-2013, 16:50

I will bring a winter Yeti 3/4 UQ you can use.
You would still need a pad for your lower legs and feet.
hth

jobo
01-29-2013, 18:28
Thanks to both Rhino and O&B for the offers, that takes some worry off of my mind. The 3-season yeti is what I have on order, wasn't honestly planning on doing any winter hanging until the next season. Then I saw this opportunity, couldn't pass it up, and started shifting to ordering colder weather gear in a rush instead of summer gear.

I saw that there is a winter storm warning from 5pm today through Thursday at 5pm for that area, with snow predicted to continue falling all the way to Thurs! GREAT news I think, should be plenty of snow to melt down. Another worry checked off the list, and yes I do worry too much. The alert says 6-15" of snowfall, I don't know if that is on top of what came down yesterday or including it since the alert was just (re?)-issued today.

Thanks again,
Jory

OutandBack
01-29-2013, 19:23
Thanks to both Rhino and O&B for the offers, that takes some worry off of my mind. The 3-season yeti is what I have on order, wasn't honestly planning on doing any winter hanging until the next season. Then I saw this opportunity, couldn't pass it up, and started shifting to ordering colder weather gear in a rush instead of summer gear.

I saw that there is a winter storm warning from 5pm today through Thursday at 5pm for that area, with snow predicted to continue falling all the way to Thurs! GREAT news I think, should be plenty of snow to melt down. Another worry checked off the list, and yes I do worry too much. The alert says 6-15" of snowfall, I don't know if that is on top of what came down yesterday or including it since the alert was just (re?)-issued today.

Thanks again,
Jory

I only use overfilled 3 season quilts in winter. I'll sleep in my down coat and insulated over pants to increase their range.
I bought the winter yeti for the wife.

Isheian
01-29-2013, 20:10
I'm still hoping my quilts arrive from stormcrow in time, if not (as OnB knows) my plans are to double ccf pads, and zliner. If that doesn't work Ill try throwing a sportsman Mylar blanket underneath while using a thermal bivvy as a TQ. Maybe throw in a poncho liner. Should be fine.

OutandBack
01-30-2013, 10:38
I'm still hoping my quilts arrive from stormcrow in time, if not (as OnB knows) my plans are to double ccf pads, and zliner. If that doesn't work Ill try throwing a sportsman Mylar blanket underneath while using a thermal bivvy as a TQ. Maybe throw in a poncho liner. Should be fine.

Do you have a tracking number, if not, I would not expect it to arrive in time.
OES, WB, HG are all pretty slammed this time of year.

I have a summer Pheonix but don't think that would help much.
I've never had good results combining pad with an UQ.
In my experience the UQ has to be right up against you to work.
The forecast is looking pretty good for Friday/Saturday night.
I'm guessing it will be around 20F.
Wind!?! now that's anyone's guess.

Bailey Forescast:
Fri Feb 1
Few Snow Showers
42/17°
Chance of snow:
30%
Wind:
W at 10 mph

Sat Feb 2
Sunny
44°/22°
Sunny
Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
SSW at 9 mph

Sun Feb 3
Partly Cloudy
47°/21°
Partly Cloudy
Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
W at 10 mph

breyman
01-30-2013, 10:45
Wind!?! now that's anyone's guess.

That can be dicey up at the pass. Wind can get crazy up there. The good news is that if you step back into the trees 100 yards, they block the wind pretty well.

Separate question - does anyone know if Brandon is attending? If he was there with the new XLCs for sale, I might have to find a way to go up, at least during the day on Saturday.

OutandBack
01-30-2013, 10:58
Moving this forward for easy reference.
Warbonnetguy has not posted on the thread so I don't think he will be attending but you never know.
As I said in the previous thread he's pretty slammed this time of year.
I missed the fall hang do to other commitments and was bummed to not get to try his new bridge hammock.

We are two weeks away from this hang. Should we do a roll call?

Off the top of my head the following have posted they are attending.

OutandBack
Ringtail(food)
JustJeff
Isheian
TrailRyder42
rhinoman
fartingOWL
RkyMtnChkwgn
jobo

May come:
ferret
Boothill and sodakgrrl
rickycodie

=================

The current plan is to gather/camp in the Kenosha East campground Friday/
Friday night then about 12noon Sat hike up to the South Park Overlook
and setup camp for Sat night. Sat afternoon day hike to view My Guyot.
Sunday morning break camp and head home on your own schedule.

Please post/confirm your attendance and comment if you like this plan or
would prefer to just camp in the campground the whole weekend and day hike to the overlook.
I'm good either way.

jobo
01-30-2013, 11:52
There is a weather camera about 8 miles SW and 500' lower elevation of the campground. All very windblown plains by the looks of it but will give some idea of snow. Hopefully all the snow from the exposed areas has piled up in the trees! I can't figure out how to link directly to the camera, but below is the link to the page with the camera...

http://cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

Jory

OutandBack
01-30-2013, 12:24
There is a weather camera about 8 miles SW and 500' lower elevation of the campground. All very windblown plains by the looks of it but will give some idea of snow. Hopefully all the snow from the exposed areas has piled up in the trees! I can't figure out how to link directly to the camera, but below is the link to the page with the camera...

http://cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

Jory

Burrrrrr that looks cold.
Sure hope it passes and calms down by Friday early afternoon when TR42 and me are heading up.

Isheian
01-30-2013, 13:41
I don't have a tracking number, it just says "awaiting fulfillment". Shot him a line and havt heard back this time. He did say something about a down crisis, so I'm planning on the pads with the z-liner. Ill jury rig a space blanket under me to help, and I have a thermal bivy for a top quilt. Ill Macguyver the hell outta it, but ill be there!

OutandBack
01-31-2013, 10:11
Received a PM from TR42 he is on the road from Texas heading or way.
He should be at my place tonight by 3PM and we will be heading out tomorrow around 11AM

The road is looking a bit better. Does anyone have a tow strap in case there is an issue with the entrance road to the CG?
I've been looking for mine but can't seem to find it.

http://cotrip.org/images/ws/camera?imageURL=82

jobo
01-31-2013, 10:34
He should be at my place tonight by 3PM and we will be heading out tomorrow around 11AM

The road is looking a bit better. Does anyone have a tow strap in case there is an issue with the entrance road to the CG?

I've got some extra 2mm dyneema I'll throw in the truck, that should work right? ;) I'll dig out my recovery kit tonight so will have yanker strap, d-shackles, and all the other good stuff - used to be a jeeper. And of course will have a snow shovel.

I'm planning on being up there by noon, although I'm really struggling against the urge to go up tonight so might be sooner!

Jory

rhinoman
01-31-2013, 10:37
The good news is this cold/flu crud I have seems to be on its way out. I'm putting together a shopping list and plan to be up after work Friday.

breyman
01-31-2013, 10:38

http://cotrip.org/images/ws/camera?imageURL=82

It is key to stay in the center of that entrance road. If in the center, even a sedan will do just fine. I brought my Toyota Camry in there last winter when there was several feet of snow on the ground and a fair amount (8 or 10 inches) on the road and it handled it like a champ.

Someone else came in with a mini-van at the same trip, though, and ventured too close to the shoulder and slid in. Took about 8 of us 30 minutes to push/pull him out.

rhinoman
01-31-2013, 10:39
It is key to stay in the center of that entrance road. If in the center, even a sedan will do just fine. I brought my Toyota Camry in there last winter when there was several feet of snow on the ground and a fair amount (8 or 10 inches) on the road and it handled it like a champ.

Someone else came in with a mini-van at the same trip, though, and ventured too close to the shoulder and slid in. Took about 8 of us 30 minutes to push/pull him out.

I'll have my beast ('95 Dodge 2500 4x4) with an array of tow straps and chains. Nobody gonna get stuck! :D

OutandBack
01-31-2013, 10:48
I've got some extra 2mm dyneema I'll throw in the truck, that should work right? ;) I'll dig out my recovery kit tonight so will have yanker strap, d-shackles, and all the other good stuff - used to be a jeeper. And of course will have a snow shovel.

I'm planning on being up there by noon, although I'm really struggling against the urge to go up tonight so might be sooner!

Jory

The good news is this cold/flu crud I have seems to be on its way out. I'm putting together a shopping list and plan to be up after work Friday.

I'll have my beast ('95 Dodge 2500 4x4) with an array of tow straps and chains. Nobody gonna get stuck! :D

You guys (((ROCK))) thanks so much. I feel a lot better now.
My little SUV doesn't do very well in snow drifts unless I can get a good running start.

Jory,
I know what you mean about heading up early.
I'm really itching to get up there and play in the snow.
If you want that UQ sooner I can PM you my addy. I live close to C470 and Wadsworth

Isheian
01-31-2013, 12:45
I'm debating being early as well, even with this hole in my leg. I just want to be and about! But there is the slimmest of chances that my quilts may arrive ( or am I deluding my self?).

Just Jeff
02-01-2013, 08:45
I can't get out of work early today and I have three sick family members...so I might not make it up there tonight. Still planning on coming up tomorrow morning, though.

I'll have tow strap, shackles, hi-lift, etc.

OutandBack
02-01-2013, 10:51
TR42 and me are leaving the house now.
You guys drive safe and we will see you when we see you.

chazham
02-01-2013, 11:31
I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I would be interested in attending but am a first timer and live in eastern NM so the further south the site the more likely I can make it...just a thought.

chazham
02-01-2013, 12:20
[B]Doh![B]I guess I should pay attention to the dates of the post I reply to.:( Didn't realize the trip was already set. I'll be keeping an eye open for a spring hang or gathering.

fartingOWL
02-01-2013, 18:23
Hate to say it fellas, but I just moved apartments and I'm up to my neck in boxes. I'll be staying around the city this weekend trying to sort my life! Let's get another hang (even if just a few of us) sometime soon. The weather this weekend is looking glorious, and getting me excited for the upcoming Springtime in Colorado.

fOWL

OutandBack
02-03-2013, 17:19
Well I am home and TR42 is back on the road.
We had a great hang, in true Colorado winter conditions with snow, sun, wind, stars, getting stuck and unstuck in snow drifts, great evening fires with many stories.

I'll start Trip Report thread so everyone and share their picts and stories.
Thanks to everyone that attended.

EDIT: Please post your TR's here.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67549

Just Jeff
02-03-2013, 19:16
I'm not the one who got stuck in the snow, btw... :jj: