PDA

View Full Version : First sewing lesson

gstepclassical
02-24-2007, 17:32
My wife just gave me my first sewing lesson!!! Seems to be similar to using a scroll saw. I am going to build an underquilt from the info on the KAQ site but I'm not sure how many stitches per inch to set the machine to. Any ideas?

sparkysko
02-26-2007, 02:31
I just got and learned how to use a sewing machine too. For my hems, I was just using about the densest (tiniest) stitch setting I could (mine is 5 to 0, 0 being the smallest, 5 being the largest stitch). I set mine around 1 - 2. This is for straight stitch however. My theory is, denser stitches are less likely to unravel significantly, and probably provides more strength. If you're using zigzag stitches I'm not sure, might not want very dense stitches if it's supposed to stretch a little.

blackbishop351
02-26-2007, 03:30
My machine is calibrated the same way - 0 to 5 with 5 being the longest. I use a 2 - 2 1/2 setting for most straight stitches. You can always email Patrick from KAQ and ask him, too.

Coffee
02-26-2007, 09:20
Careful where this leads. Actually go for it. Making your own gear is fun. I think I have either made or moded more gear than is stock in my setup. I did a lot of wood working with my dad growing up, this is pretty close.

Mine goes 0-5 on the stitch length. I go with 3. No real reason, just looks good. I would probibly go with a 2 if I was working with down. I put 2 rows of stitches on all of my seams. I haven't had a problem yet when I did this. On projects where it looks like the ends could pull apart, I add some reinforcings stitchs only on the ends. Usually perpendicular to the force.

headchange4u
02-26-2007, 09:27
Mine machine is set at about 3-3.5 for heavier materials, and 2.5-3 for materials like nylon.

Redtail
02-26-2007, 10:49
I had the same question and had a hard time googling up an answer. My dial actually has the "stitches per inch" numbers on it vs. arbitrary numbers.

On a kite making site I found "the industry standard is 8..." so I used that for my hammock seams. For backpacks I double stitch.

On a backpack site I found "most manufacturers sew backpacks at 6 to 10 stitches per inch. If we increase the stitching much beyond 10 stitches per inch, the strength of the fabric begins to degrade. Anything below six stitches per inch begins to become suspect in terms of strength, and when the fabric is under pressure, gapping between the stitches becomes more evident."

Since your making an underquilt you might want to sew a swatch of fabric with different lengths and compare the stitch length to a sleeping bag or quilt seam for an example to see which looks similar and use that.

Another major factor in seam strength is the thread you use, the consensus seems to be to use a good polyester thread such a Guttermans.

Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures when you are done!

gstepclassical
02-26-2007, 14:45
Thanks for the help. Our machine is graduated in stitches/in. Been looking over the web about thread and there are some complaints about Gutterman's linting up the machine. The supplier I plan to use for the material has 100% polyester thead other than Gutterman's. Not certain as to what I will use yet. I will post pics of the project when completed. Too many hobbies and not enough time!!!

Frolicking Dino
02-27-2007, 07:03
Any thread will eventually 'lint up the machine' - I know this goes against your nature being guys and all, but you do need to clean and oil the sewing machines regularly - while they do resemble your scroll saw in some ways, maintenance isn't one of them.....

neo
02-27-2007, 07:23
My wife just gave me my first sewing lesson!!! Seems to be similar to using a scroll saw. I am going to build an underquilt from the info on the KAQ site but I'm not sure how many stitches per inch to set the machine to. Any ideas?

:) thats cool,tonite my wife is going to set up my sewing machine that has set in my closet for 5 years,she is helping my son do a school project,then i will get my try at sewing:cool: neo

blackbishop351
02-27-2007, 08:12
:) thats cool,tonite my wife is going to set up my sewing machine that has set in my closet for 5 years,she is helping my son do a school project,then i will get my try at sewing:cool: neo

:eek: Uh oh....I see the Claytor and SG getting replaced in your future... :D

neo
02-27-2007, 11:34
:eek: Uh oh....I see the Claytor and SG getting replaced in your future... :D

i am going to start out making stuff sacks,then i want to make a 20 degree
quilt OD green:cool: neo

Jazilla
02-27-2007, 12:29
Hey Neo, I have some OD Green DWR. I thought I had 11 yards but I looked last night and its more like 20 yards. I am willing to trade for another color to do my quilt. Let me know what you think?

funbun
02-28-2007, 11:28
What is KAQ?

Jazilla
02-28-2007, 11:39
A KAQ is a Kick *** Quilt. Its an under quilt.
For more hammock terms check out the hammock glossary and acronyms

btourer
03-06-2007, 19:00
This is all kind of weird and stuff! Ya Know? We're guys, shouldn't we like be talking about babes or cars or something?
But as long as we're talking about sewing, Hey Jazilla! how bout some detailed instructions on that zipper install? I just have to do that!

... Never mind, I found it! But now I need a zipper foot :cool:

slowhike
03-06-2007, 19:08
check out this post from jeff telling what his son said to him on the way to the mt rogers campout:D

Just Jeff said...
"Haha - we were getting out at Taco Bell on the drive up and he says, "I'm gonna tell everybody that you SEW! I'm gonna tell them all you're a hammock freak and all you do is talk about hammocks! I'm gonna tell them you talk to people you don't know on the internet about hammocking!""

Um...go ahead, kid. Guess who's coming to dinner?

btourer
03-06-2007, 19:27
I'm sitting here in tears. So how much did he pay him to keep his mouth shut?

slowhike
03-06-2007, 19:42
it was hilarious! i still chuckle when i think about it<g>.

gstepclassical
03-06-2007, 21:59
I work at a woodworking machinery and supply store and I've noticed that the guys are starting to look at me funny, hmmmm. While we are at it, my wifes machine can use double needles. Would this work in place of running two independent lines of stitches?

slowhike
03-06-2007, 22:04
I work at a woodworking machinery and supply store and I've noticed that the guys are starting to look at me funny, hmmmm. While we are at it, my wifes machine can use double needles. Would this work in place of running two independent lines of stitches?

i think you can sew a double line of stitches w/ that set-up, but i'm not familiar w/ it.

gstepclassical
03-06-2007, 22:10
It does sew a double line of stitches but I was wondering if that would work in place of two independent operations, mainly because the two lines are only about 1/8" apart. Each line also shares a common thread underneath coming from the bobbin.

blackbishop351
03-06-2007, 22:44
It does sew a double line of stitches but I was wondering if that would work in place of two independent operations, mainly because the two lines are only about 1/8" apart. Each line also shares a common thread underneath coming from the bobbin.

Probably not as good as two independent lines for load-bearing applications, but for things like stuff sacks, it should do fine and save you some time.

Coffee
03-07-2007, 18:02

I just picked up my new machine. It has the option of sewing a double stitch. I was talking to my grandma about that. I figured I could trust her opinion on it after her few decades of experience. She said that it could work, but the needles are expensive. On the order of $3-5 dollars a needle instead of $3-ish for a pack.

Plus as was said, I think you could run into tension problems. Really the only gain is the time from running down the seam for the second time. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

headchange4u
03-07-2007, 19:05
I just picked up my new machine. It has the option of sewing a double stitch. I was talking to my grandma about that. I figured I could trust her opinion on it after her few decades of experience. She said that it could work, but the needles are expensive. On the order of $3-5 dollars a needle instead of $3-ish for a pack.

Plus as was said, I think you could run into tension problems. Really the only gain is the time from running down the seam for the second time. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

Which machine did you get again?

Just Jeff
03-07-2007, 19:36
Might be good for some reinforcement seams, like connecting panels on backpacks. Something that doesn't hold a lot of stress but still needs some reinforcing. Plus it would look nice since they'd be exactly parallel.

sparkysko
03-07-2007, 23:06
Plus it would look nice since they'd be exactly parallel.

Lol, reminds me of my eternal battle to have straight sewing on my hems. They all look like the path of a drunk driver weaving around and crossing over one another. Makes me sincerely wonder how the heck do commercial manufacturers come up with such nice hems and sewing.

blackbishop351
03-07-2007, 23:07
Lol, reminds me of my eternal battle to have straight sewing on my hems. They all look like the path of a drunk driver weaving around and crossing over one another. Makes me sincerely wonder how the heck do commercial manufacturers come up with such nice hems and sewing.

That's easy - computer controlled machines and fabric feeders :p

Coffee
03-07-2007, 23:12
Which machine did you get again?

A circa 1958 Singer 500. This thing is a beast. I sewed through some sil and noseeum and it looked perfect. Then I sewed through a piece that my grandma used to test the machine that was 4 layers of denim like it was nothing.

It's definitly going to serve me well for a long time. She got it from the sewing machine repair man that does all the work on her machines.

It came with all of the different attachments, feet, and instruction book. I can also do free hand embordary if I choose to put a label on anything.

The best part is that it came with the attachment to make ruffels. Completly worthless and extra weight. But for some reason I feel the need to use this just for a good laugh.

Just Jeff
03-08-2007, 06:37

You can get attachments for most machines that help you with certain kinds of stitches. It attaches right in front of the foot and rolls the fabric into position for you. Never used one but they look pretty convenient.

But that's like pinch hitting in baseball....borders on cheating. :D

(Yes, I did just compare baseball and sewing.)

slowhike
03-08-2007, 06:43

you should see some of my first projects:eek: but it gets better w/ practice.

Bird Dog
03-08-2007, 07:39
The best part is that it came with the attachment to make ruffels. Completly worthless and extra weight. But for some reason I feel the need to use this just for a good laugh.

Will your next hammock have a built in "ruffled bed skirt" around the bottom? Inquiring minds want to know. BD

blackbishop351
03-08-2007, 11:57
But that's like pinch hitting in baseball....borders on cheating. :D

(Yes, I did just compare baseball and sewing.)

Sounds like a good comeback the next time your son calls you a girl for sewing! :eek: :D

blackbishop351
03-08-2007, 11:58
Will your next hammock have a built in "ruffled bed skirt" around the bottom? Inquiring minds want to know. BD

I told him to do that exact thing...and if anybody asks, it's sil - so it adds extra rain protection and storage! :D

Jazilla
03-08-2007, 13:58
HE, you could make the first truly womans hammock. It would sell, my niece wants me to make her a pink one and she is only 3.

PS It has to have Dora on it she said.

Bird Dog
03-08-2007, 14:00
the possibilities are endless. They charge like 30 bucks for those hiker underwear now. You could make some sil ones and "dress" it up a bit with a ruffle. BD

Jazilla
03-08-2007, 14:01
Oh, another thought. My wife laughed when I first started walking over to moms to sew up my first bags. After I fixed one of her throw pillows from the couch she bought me my own machine. Yeah baby, I wear the pant and I can fix them too.

blackbishop351
03-08-2007, 14:13
Oh, another thought. My wife laughed when I first started walking over to moms to sew up my first bags. After I fixed one of her throw pillows from the couch she bought me my own machine. Yeah baby, I wear the pant and I can fix them too.

LOL...I've hemmed 6 or 7 pairs of pants for the Boss now. And more to come, I'm sure! She told me the other day that she'd been bragging to her coworkers about my sewing skills :eek: I was mortified until she told me that all the women were impressed - apparently they can't get their husbands to do anything useful. I told her to just make sure NOT to tell the guys she works with! :p

Just Jeff
03-10-2007, 08:36
Sounds like a good comeback the next time your son calls you a girl for sewing! :eek: :D

Haha - he did that this morning, actually.

Jazilla - I've seen pink Dora fabric in Walmart. I think it was even in the dollar bin. Not ripstop or anything but probably enough for an indoor 3yo hammock.

6 feet over
06-11-2007, 00:40
check out this post from jeff telling what his son said to him on the way to the mt rogers campout:D

Just Jeff said...
"Haha - we were getting out at Taco Bell on the drive up and he says, "I'm gonna tell everybody that you SEW! I'm gonna tell them all you're a hammock freak and all you do is talk about hammocks! I'm gonna tell them you talk to people you don't know on the internet about hammocking!""

Um...go ahead, kid. Guess who's coming to dinner?

I just laughed out loud.

I found this post searching for what type of sewing machine I might want to buy to make DIY gear. Now I’ll have to reconsider it! I can easily see my daughter doing this to me when it would be least appreciated.

6 ft