PDA

View Full Version : Hammockers' Journals Links

Just Jeff
02-24-2007, 19:20
Troll just set up the link for hammockers' journals.

http://www.hammockforums.net/links/browselinks.php?c=12

Submit links to hammockers' journals you find on the internet...TrailJournals, personal homepages, etc...as long as it's hammocking related. Just try to avoid putting in a link that someone else already submitted, and put in a good description.

Coffee
02-24-2007, 23:40
Cool. Thanks for the work you and Troll put into this.

I am going to add my journal when I finally get around to starting it.

slowhike
02-25-2007, 07:51
yes, we do appreciate the work you guys put into this site.
and the link for thrus will be great resource.

Certain
02-25-2007, 10:59
Cool! Thanks guys, for all your creative ideas and work. I submitted my journal's link just now. Leaving in 13 days....feet will be on Springer walking north in 15 days!!! YIPPY & YIKES!! Seeing I'm fairly new at hammocking, I'm anticipating some big learning situations out there. I'll do my best to always mention these things and to prove that yes, you CAN thru-hike totally w/a hammock and keep your pack weight under 35 lbs in the winter! :)

Certain
02-25-2007, 11:02
Well...I thought I submitted it, but I don't see it when I go there. I'll try again....

Certain
02-25-2007, 11:04
Hmmm...I think I should wait a bit. It stated it had alread been submitted, so maybe it's just not showing up yet. Is anyone else enjoying this conversation I'm having w/myself as much as I am? LOL

Just Jeff
02-25-2007, 11:20
I'm kinda enjoying your one-woman conversation, but I can't see your link. Mine showed up immediately when I posted it. Did you get any messages about permissions or anything?

Touch of Grey
02-25-2007, 11:29
I posted my link yesterday and the fine print on the page after submission stated that it would be posted after the ADMIN took a look at the content. Which I take to mean that Attroll has to check it out and make sure it is a legal link. There are a lot of malicious links out there, so it may take some time. BTW I am not keeping a 'Trail Journal' thru trailjournals.com but have my own website up and a link to the podcasts that will be coming from me along the route. I already have 5 podcasts up and available thru GCast. When I hit the trail in two weeks the podcasts should be more steady and regular.

TOG

Just Jeff
02-25-2007, 11:33
Hrm...wasn't aware that the links needed to be validated. I did the three that were in there. I'll check with attroll and make sure that's how he meant to set it up...probably just a box that he forgot to uncheck or something.

Certain
02-25-2007, 11:45
Ok it's up now. Wow...this is going to be a GREAT resource for current/future hammockers who wonder about thru-hiking w/one.

One other question, if I log in and go to the home page, where is the link going to be to get to these journals....will there be a separate forum? Right now I'm having to find this thread and click on the link in Jeff's post. Might be hard for people to find if it's not on the main page w/all the other forums. Just a thought. Thanks again for doing this..... :)

Just Jeff
02-25-2007, 12:45
There's a "Links" link on the menu at the top of the page. On that page, there's a journals category near the bottom. That's where they all end up.

Bird Dog
02-25-2007, 14:08
Nice. I just go caught up looking at all the "new posts" and now, something else to read. I cant wait to start looking at all the journals. They are always a great source of information as well as amusing. Thanks Troll and Jeff. BD

oldsoldier
08-13-2008, 21:02
I submitted mine...not sure if you still update this or not.

cavediver2
08-13-2008, 21:47
Good maybe we can get cannibals on here

NCPatrick
08-15-2008, 07:17
I've been following Certain's TJ, and she made mention today of a strategy for hanging in the Whites...

Here's her TJ entry (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=248579). Paragraph starts with "Oh, by the way, to all hangers out there..."

Tobit
08-16-2008, 18:28
I've been following Certain's TJ, and she made mention today of a strategy for hanging in the Whites...
Hanging in the Whites is easy, I just did it today. See my trip report for the pics. :) I'll go read her journal entry though too. :cool:

Edit: Ahh, just read it and can somewhat agree with her about tree density but I don't think it's that much of a challenge in all but a very few areas.

NCPatrick
08-16-2008, 20:22
Hanging in the Whites is easy, I just did it today. See my trip report for the pics. :) I'll go read her journal entry though too. :cool:

Edit: Ahh, just read it and can somewhat agree with her about tree density but I don't think it's that much of a challenge in all but a very few areas.

Glad to hear how easy it is. There were a lot of folks on Whiteblaze who were curious/worried about it at one time. I guess it has been well proven to be easy now, so no problems...

Tobit
08-17-2008, 02:40
Glad to hear how easy it is. There were a lot of folks on Whiteblaze who were curious/worried about it at one time. I guess it has been well proven to be easy now, so no problems...
Well, it's not always super easy but not always impossible either. I think it's that hanging thru-hikers are just not used to the terrain. One needs to be more selective here and take less than ideal spots when they find them, such as the side of a hill, and be willing to go a little farther off trail as well.

GrizzlyAdams
08-17-2008, 16:20

Here's her TJ entry (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=248579). Paragraph starts with "Oh, by the way, to all hangers out there..."

Thanks NCP, I've not been keeping up with her journal. I found this one particular interesting because her wandering off the AT onto the blue blazed Ethan Pond trail is precisely where I was about a year ago.

In that stretch of the Whites, Franconia Notch to Pinkham Notch, it was likewise my experience that trees were typically really dense. We always did find a place to hang, but only once was it obvious where to do that.

Grizz