PDA

View Full Version : NY>Finger Lakes NF>Jan-Feb Inaugural Frozen Fingers Hang

adkphoto
12-03-2012, 12:37
Hey Everyone -

This is going to be the planning thread for the inaugural Frozen Fingers Hang.

I had originally started a thread here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63419) wondering if there was a winter hang in New York. There are some folks that do a hang in the Northern Adirondacks in February, but there was nothing in the Central New York Area.

Through the thread linked above, we have decided to organize a hang in the Finger Lakes National Forest (hence the name "Frozen Fingers). HF member Miguel help us find a location that has winter access by car, but the camping area is about a half mile from the parking lot. It's still a pretty secluded area, smack in the middle of a national forest. Being close to the parking area means that we can easily bring in firewood and supplies as needed, and be reasonably close if someone needs to bail out.

Here's a description of the camping area from Miguel:
The camping site is near the north end of Foster's Pond. It's about a five to ten minute hike in from the road to the campsite. The area is about eight miles north of Watkins Glen NY off of Rt 414....East side of lake. If you are checking out maps, you turn off Rt 414 on to Rt 2 (Picnic Rd) go 4.4 miles to T, turn left and go 1.1 miles to parking area on left....directly across from Chicken Coup Rd. It's simple to find.

I'll post a poll to see what the preferred date is.

Post a thread on here to let us know who is interested. There appears to be plenty of space in two separate areas for at least a dozen campers, but probably a lot more.

I hope to see you there!

David

fishbait
12-03-2012, 15:14
Jan 25-27th is the 6th Annual NJ Winter Hang not sure how many will be available. Not sure how many will be able to swing Feb 1-3rd there may be a few of us still recovering from the previous weeks hang. :laugh:
Jan 4-6th is the 2nd Annual Winter NEHHA, again there may be a few of us still recovering from the previous weeks hang, so the 11th - 13th might be tough.

There's also the issue of getting permission from the little lady. I have hangs scheduled for 12/22 - 12/23, 1/4-1/6 and 1/25/-1/27. I'm starting to get dirty looks.

DuctTape
12-03-2012, 15:23
Imagine if the NE had a hang sceduled every weekend that way there would be at least one fir whatever weekend "she who must be obeyed" allows us to go.

Two Tents
12-03-2012, 18:27
I have a backpack trip on the 11 thru the 14th Jan And one in Feb that I'm not sure of the date. I want to make this one too. I just hope it isn't a date conflict in either month. I want to go!

MikeM
12-03-2012, 21:47
I can make any of the dates work, as long as the decision is made soon. I need to put in for the time off from work as soon as possible to ensure coverage so I can take off.

adkphoto
12-03-2012, 21:57
I had no idea there were so many organized group hangs until I started this thread. I'd love to go to all of them if I had the time.

Once we get some more participants on this new thread, we can start talking about snowshoe hikes to do on Saturday and possible Sunday. I know there is a fire tower just north of this site, so that would probably be a great destination.

David

Miguel
12-03-2012, 22:30
I had no idea there were so many organized group hangs until I started this thread. I'd love to go to all of them if I had the time.

Once we get some more participants on this new thread, we can start talking about snowshoe hikes to do on Saturday and possible Sunday. I know there is a fire tower just north of this site, so that would probably be a great destination.

David

The only two fire towers that I'm familiar with are on Sugar Hill which is south west of our site (west of Watkins Glen) and the other is on Connecticut Hill which is quite a bit east of us between Elmira and Ithaca.

Our site is actually on the Interloken Trail which is a spur off the Finger Lakes Trail. From our site (Fosters Pond), the Interloken trail continues north for about five to six miles and stops. It's about four to five miles south from Fosters back to the Finger Lakes trail. There are other trails which cross and run parallel to the Interloken trail which make for a variety of loop trails.

There are many really nice sections of the Finger Lakes Trail within a very short drive of our location. I have a complete map set of the Finger Lakes Trail and can make some copies of that area, if folks want to venture farther away.

For those who may be inclined there are MANY wineries along Rt 414 overlooking the Lake with daily wine tastings. Many are within a twenty minute drive of the camp site.

Miguel

BrianWillan
12-03-2012, 22:31
Greetings

What's the average snow fall for the area at that time of the year? My winter camping gear requires a toboggan to haul it all.

Cheers

Brian

adkphoto
12-03-2012, 22:34
I'm glad Miguel chimed in. I was thinking that Sugar Hill was north of our campsite. It's a good thing he's here to correct me!

David

adkphoto
12-03-2012, 22:37
@BrianWillan
Normally, there would be at least a couple feet of snow on the ground by the end of January, but if we get a repeat of last winter, there might not be much at all. Hard to predict at this time, but I would guess that there will be enough snow to support a sled.

David

Miguel
12-04-2012, 09:09
@BrianWillan
Normally, there would be at least a couple feet of snow on the ground by the end of January, but if we get a repeat of last winter, there might not be much at all. Hard to predict at this time, but I would guess that there will be enough snow to support a sled.

David

This is an excellent area for trying out Pulk sleds because the trails are pretty flat and without a lot of twists and turns. If you put any stock into the Farmer's Almanac.....they are caling for much more snow than last year. Hope springs eternal. :) Also...if you want to make your hike into camp a little longer there is another road crossing a couple of miles north on the Interloken trail with a parking area. It's flat all the way to the pine grove. You can also do the same by starting a mile or so south of the pine grove at another parking area. It's one of the nice things about this trail...there are MANY access points.

Miguel

Miguel

nothermark
12-04-2012, 09:21
Interesting. If it becomes an annual event I will be interested next year. Medical issues will keep me out this year.

djp809
12-04-2012, 22:17
Look forward to the outing. Winter time I don't "hang" though :), hope nobody minds. I'm a fair weather hanger.

adkphoto
12-05-2012, 06:22
No problem. Tents are welcome too!

David

Two Tents
12-05-2012, 06:29
I'll most likely tent too if the date doesn't turn into a conflict of my other planned trips. I'll be there if it's possible in my 4 season tent.

Miguel
12-05-2012, 22:07
I'll most likely tent too if the date doesn't turn into a conflict of my other planned trips. I'll be there if it's possible in my 4 season tent.

The site is as good for tents as it is for Hammocks....mayber better. Entire area is flat with a serious bed of pine needles. (assuming no snow) :)

Miguel

adkphoto
12-07-2012, 10:55
So far January 11 - 13 is winning in the poll by a nose. I didn't vote yet because any of those dates will work for me.

Usually when I'm camping with a group, I find it easier to cook on my own, especially since I don't have cookware big enough for a group.

Is there interest in trying to arrange a group feast?

David

DuctTape
12-07-2012, 11:56
I usually cook for myself too but I have been kniwn to share. I have cook gear fir as large a crowd as will likely show if needded. I say pick a date. We can do two trips also.

AmericasHammock
12-10-2012, 20:27
Alcohol frowned upon?

adkphoto
12-10-2012, 20:31
As far as I'm concerned, alcohol is allowed. I'll have a flask with me.

David

DuctTape
12-10-2012, 21:49
Alcohol frowned upon?

Only when it is not shared.

Kirkman
12-13-2012, 09:54
Count me in !!!! On 11-13

MikeM
12-13-2012, 22:29
Marking my calendar for January 11-13.

JollyGreen
12-14-2012, 07:27
I'm a definite maybe

Miguel
12-14-2012, 22:39
I'm not sure of the accuracy of the poll. I'm pretty sure Kirkman didn't actually vote and I know of at least two or more others from my town that are in for the 11th to the 13th but they don't frequent the Forum.

Personally I think a decision should be made pretty soon. It's appears we have a pretty good sized group forming. :)

Miguel

adkphoto
12-15-2012, 17:23
I agree with Miguel. Let's plan on this event for January 11th - 13th.

I'm looking forward to it!

David

DuctTape
12-15-2012, 17:33
Agreed. and there us no reason why a second trip for the other sates cant be dine also for those who want to do both or are unable to do the first.

DuctTape
12-15-2012, 17:34
Wow! fat fingers+beer+phone=jumbled mess

Miguel
12-19-2012, 14:02
I agree with Miguel. Let's plan on this event for January 11th - 13th.

I'm looking forward to it!

David

OK...so I talked to a couple of my other hanging buddies and they are in for Jan 11-13. We are going to plan on being there regardless of what is decided here. I could also make the second date in Jan. but not the Feb date. I also don't have any problem going twice in the same month.:D

I am taking off for CA tomorrow and will be returning on Dec. 27th. I'll have limited computer access during that time. I will be glad to do any form of leg work in preparation of the hang upon my return. I can give detailed directions etc. The Trailhead is quite easy to find although the short hike in has a couple of forks which could be confusing.

I'm not sure what you guys would like to do for food. It's less than a ten minute hike in so multiple trips would not be a problem. It would probably be easier if everyone fended for themselves but I'm not opposed to carrying a Coleman burner and cooking up some group grub...we LOVE our midnight Italian Sausages!

So who's in????

Miguel

adkphoto
12-19-2012, 14:53
Awesome!

Italian Sausage + Beer = Heaven

I think we may have to plan on that.

David

MikeM
12-20-2012, 15:27
I'm really looking forward to the trip. My job and training schedule made it impossible for me to get away for any camping this year.

BodhiKnight
12-22-2012, 05:46
Anyone driving through Binghamton? I can pitch in for gas.

AmericasHammock
12-23-2012, 17:00
So 11-13th it is for sure so I can let work know?

adkphoto
12-23-2012, 17:02
Yes, the 11th - 13th is the confirmed date.

We finally have some snow. Hopefully it will stick around for a couple of weeks :)

David

AmericasHammock
12-23-2012, 17:03
awesome I will be there!

Datahiker
12-26-2012, 13:47
I'm going to try to come in on Saturday. If I do I'll be dragging my father-in-law along which means we/he may be tenting it - he's not too keen on the idea of hammocks and I could use some help "elevating" his perspective. :D

Not to mention I'm a n00b with only two nights under my belt, neither of which were cold weather. I'd love to see everyone's setup!

Miguel
12-26-2012, 15:09
12 to 16 inches predicted for the next 24 hours! :) I'm happy for that but I'm hoping it doesn't effect my return flight from CA tomorrow. Sunny and 606s here.

Remember, the trails are quite flat at the hang site so if you have a pulk, break the bad boy out.

Miguel

adkphoto
12-28-2012, 17:34
It looks like almost everyone that has expressed interest in this hang is from New York, but in case you are not, we have about a foot of snow on the ground, and more in the forecast. The conditions are awesome for a winter camping trip!

David

adkphoto
12-28-2012, 17:36
@datahiker -

Tents are very welcome. The trail to the campsite is very short, so bring lots of warm gear, or stash extra in your car if needed.

See you on Saturday!

David

walterharold
01-01-2013, 16:46
I'm going to be coming up with 3ply on Saturday morning.

That's +2 to the count.

Crawfish
01-01-2013, 23:00
I am so in!!! I got the time off from work I will be up on that Friday.

adkphoto
01-02-2013, 06:50
It's great to hear that there will be a good turn-out!

See you all there!

David

Miguel
01-02-2013, 10:25
I'm heading up there today to map out directions to the Trail Head and to the campsite. I have a new scanner printer so if all goes well I'll post a couple of hand drawn maps. It's really quite easy to find.

Miguel

Miguel
01-03-2013, 08:53
Hopefully this will come out...I'm not super computer literate.:(

Let me know if you have any questions.

Miguel

adkphoto
01-03-2013, 09:02
Nice job Miguel! Very clear directions.

David

Datahiker
01-07-2013, 12:48
Just FYI, it looks to me like it's going to be more rainy and muddy than cold and snowy. Has anyone seen a different forecast?

adkphoto
01-07-2013, 12:59
That's too bad.

3ply
01-07-2013, 18:56
Looks like rain on Friday and Sunday. Might be better to wait til the other dates.

Crawfish
01-07-2013, 20:51
I am still in for the weekend. I will be there say Friday afternoon. What time are people showing up?

Miguel
01-08-2013, 10:39
Looks like rain on Friday and Sunday. Might be better to wait til the other dates.

On the positive side, there is only a 20% chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday doesn't look too bad. Besides, I have to try out my brand spanking new Marmot Super Mica rain jacket.

Assuming others are coming, I too will be arriving sometime Friday afternoon.I have a large Claytor tarp I can bring for standing under. If anyone has an extra tarp you may want to bring it.

I've been snowshoeing for the last several days....as of now there is still plenty of snow in the woods. Let's not forget the weather can change so let's keep our fingers crossed anf think pure thoughts. :)

So who's in besides me and Crawfish???

Miguel

PS Update....zero % chance of rain on Saturday....things are looking up!

adkphoto
01-08-2013, 12:07
High temps are going to be in the 50s and lows are above freezing! Welcome to the January thaw.

I'll be there Friday night. Start a signal fire for me.

David

walterharold
01-08-2013, 19:23
I'm going to have to sit this one out. My car has died and I'm going to be out looking for another on Saturday.

If people are planning on one of the other dates, I am interested.

MikeM
01-08-2013, 20:18
I'm aiming to be there around 1pm, maybe a little later if I get too distracted by the stop I plan at Wegmans to pick up some food.

Miguel
01-09-2013, 00:25
Just a suggestion....if eveyone brought one bundle of wood, that would be very cool. Wood is a bit scarce at the actual campsite. They sell bundles all along RT414 and on Rt 2 just as you turn off rt 414. My pulk will be available to haul it in if there is still snow on the trail. Worst case scenario...we have to carry it in....only a ten minute walk. No biggie...

Miguel

Miguel
01-09-2013, 09:39
Just checked the weather report again. It's getting better with a 60% chance of showers on Friday....zero percent chance on Saturday with some sun and a zero percent chance of showers on Sunday. High of 46 on Friday and 60ish Sat./Sun....lows will be 46 both nights.

I'd say the odds are becoming more favorable for no rain on Friday, especially toward the later part of the day. So come on down!!!

Miguel

JollyGreen
01-10-2013, 00:25
Come on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Datahiker
01-10-2013, 07:57
I won't be in until Saturday, probably mid-morning. What's the potable water situation? I was thinking about bringing my 5 gallon container.

adkphoto
01-10-2013, 08:28
This is a backcountry camp site. Granted, it's not that far off the road, but a five gallon container is pretty hard to carry unless you're bringing a pulk. There is a pond (that may be frozen), and plenty of snow for water. The snow situation will probably change dramatically this weekend though. I'd suggest using Aqua Mira or boiling for water treatment.

David

Datahiker
01-10-2013, 13:19
Cool, thanks for the info. Can't wait!

MikeM
01-10-2013, 20:19
I'm down to a "maybe". The flu hit me hard today, but I'm hoping to get over it and make it anyway.

Miguel
01-10-2013, 20:33
I'm down to a "maybe". The flu hit me hard today, but I'm hoping to get over it and make it anyway.

That's the spirit!! Hope to see you there. There is still plenty of snow in my local woods and our camp site is at a higher elevation. I am definitely bringing my Pulk Sled. It will be available for anyone to use...kitchen sinks are welcome. :)

I will try to be up there by about 1:00...don't forget your maps. If you get to the pond and are confused...just hollar. Any questions...I'll be up until at least 11:00 or later tonight and will check this thread.

Miguel

BrianWillan
01-10-2013, 22:22
With the weather forecast, your fingers won't be frozen. Soggy maybe. Have fun everyone and stay dry.

Cheers

Brian

Miguel
01-11-2013, 08:45
Well...it is currently NOT raining. :)

adkphoto
01-11-2013, 08:59
It's looking like I won't be arriving until Saturday morning.

I'll see you all then.

David

Crawfish
01-13-2013, 16:45
Wow had a great weekend hanging in the pinee woods with you all.
Looking forward to getting together in the summer.