PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Ontario>Feb 2013 - EGL Winter Hang 2013

Chard
12-05-2012, 13:30
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32339&d=1329836088

EGL Winter Hang - Feb 2013

I just wanted to get the snowball rolling on our first hang of 2013!

Dates: Feb 16th - 18th 2013 - But really anytime from mid to late February
Duration: 2 nights - With the option of additional nights for those hardcore hangers with time on their hands
Destination: Say Algonquin or vicinity: Somewhere between the Lakes Simcoe and Nippissing and the Georgian Bay and the Ottawa River.

Aiming for a weekend in the bush away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind. Expect light to moderate snowshoeing, some excellent EGL backcountry cuisine and hopefully some ice-fishing.

Suggestions for locations are always welcome. Last year we passed on Niger Lake, Ontario (Lat: 45°24'1.57"N / Long: 78°50'41.65"W). It's a crown land lake about one kilometer south of highway 60, just below the SW corner of Algonquin (no park camping fees). There's a parking lot and snowmobile trails leading up and over the hill. It won't be as quiet during the day as Algonquin's interior, but I imagine, come nightfall, things should settle down. It also allows ice-fishing, which would be a nice bonus.

Get out those winter quilts and pack your mittens!!!!!

Chard

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32353&d=1329836343
Best Winter Camping Theme Shot Ever!!!

Bubba
12-05-2012, 14:17
Hope I can get out. We should finalize a date ASAP so people like me can arrange for time off work and make other necessary arrangement. I'm open to any location although some of us at the last hang discussed something a little less strenuous than last time.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=13409

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=13407

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=13406

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=13405

Chard
12-05-2012, 16:25
I'm open to any location although some of us at the last hang discussed something a little less strenuous than last time.

True 'dat!!!!

For an out-of-shape rookie snowshoer, last year's trek was pushing the limits of ... everything! It felt like doing an elliptical workout for two and a half hours on the hard setting. At this point in my personal fitness improvement program :lol:, I'd rather do ten kilometers of hard packed trail than one kilometer of soft powder trail breaking.

Bubba
12-05-2012, 16:29
True 'dat!!!!

...I'd rather do ten kilometers of hard packed trail than one kilometer of soft powder trail breaking.

Same here. IIRC I threw up several times:eek: on the trail due to lack of proper hydration, lack of sleep and overexrtion...it was still fun though.:D

BrianWillan
12-05-2012, 18:41
[IMG]
EGL Winter Hang - Feb 2013

I just wanted to get the snowball rolling on our first hang of 2013!

Dates: Feb 15th - 17th 2013 - But really anytime from mid to late February
Duration: 2 nights - With the option of additional nights for those hardcore hangers with time on their hands
Destination: Say Algonquin or vicinity: Somewhere between the Lakes Simcoe and Nippissing and the Georgian Bay and the Ottawa River.

Chard

If you're looking to do the Family Day weekend again, then the dates you picked above are the Friday to Sunday. Picking the 16-18th (Sat-Mon) allows for a 2 night trip without having to use a holiday day.

For those with traditional snowshoes, be sure to do your maintenance on them before the winter season starts in earnest.

Cheers

Brian

Chard
12-05-2012, 18:49
Chard

If you're looking to do the Family Day weekend again, then the dates you picked above are the Friday to Sunday. Picking the 16-18th (Sat-Mon) allows for a 2 night trip without having to use a holiday day.

For those with traditional snowshoes, be sure to do your maintenance on them before the winter season starts in earnest.

Cheers

Brian

Good point, Thanks Brian. My calendar doesn't show civic holidays. So let's talk about the 16-18th... It sounds like a 3 night weekend might even be in the cards (but that would be crazy!)...

The only thing is that the Family Day weekend might not be good for some people with family plans. Let's hear some feedback.

Jayson
12-05-2012, 20:52
Hey Chard. I am in for that weekend, good to go for three nights. Tracey not so much, turns out she doesnt care for the cold.
Crownland or Provincial park are both fine by me. I might have buddy interested...he isnt a hammoker tho...hope that is ok!???

Awaiting further details.

Chard
12-05-2012, 22:23
Hey Chard. I am in for that weekend, good to go for three nights. Tracey not so much, turns out she doesnt care for the cold.
Crownland or Provincial park are both fine by me. I might have buddy interested...he isnt a hammoker tho...hope that is ok!???

Awaiting further details.

Tracey's probably's got a level of common sense that eludes the rest of us... Too bad though. As for your friend, no probs of course, the more the merrier. I'm sure once he sees how cozy a hammock/underquilt can be, he'll be hooked.

Cheers

blackd
12-06-2012, 16:07
Oh i like the sound of that! I don't however own snowshoes, would you describe them as 100% necessary or just helpful? Either way i guess that gives me 2 months to find some if i have to.

Chard
12-06-2012, 16:17
Put it this way. Breaking through powder on the way in, if you didn't have snowshoes you'd sink up to your thigh every other step. On the way back, once the track had time to set up, I managed to walk the whole way back in my boots and didn't sink once.

Of course everything depends on the amount of snowfall, but based on last year, if we're breaking trail: snowshoes are a must. If we're only following a well established snowshoe/snowmobile track, maybe you could get away with boots until we start setting up camp, when snowshoes will be necessary to move around for the first few hours at least. Play it safe.. wintercamping in the bush requires snowshoes. Remember, we might get more snow while we're there and we'd hate to have to come back for you (or what's left) in the spring.

blackd
12-06-2012, 16:28
You'd come back for me? You guys are alright :-) ok, so get snowshoes or pay the price, got it.

Jayson
12-06-2012, 21:55
I might have an extra pair i can bring. Are you a big.guy and will your gear be on a sled or your back. Shoes will only carry so much weight!

Chard if you want I have got the green light for three nights...crownland and icefishing sounds like the best to me!

Chard
12-06-2012, 22:35
Chard if you want I have got the green light for three nights...crownland and icefishing sounds like the best to me!

I'm going to see what I can do to make it a three night trip. If we had a nice basecamp, it'd be nice to have two full days to just hang out, especially if we could do some ice-fishing. But as Deadeye wisely advised last year, the ice'd have to be safe.

blackd
12-07-2012, 00:27
I might have an extra pair i can bring. Are you a big.guy and will your gear be on a sled or your back. Shoes will only carry so much weight!

I am 230lbs about 6,3" and gear is not on a sled.....YET! I'm going to have to get some new gear to keep up with you guys i see :D

dant8ro
12-07-2012, 06:26
Hmm,

You have my attention Chard. I'm going to have to see what else is kicking in February, but I am attempting to make arrangements.

Dan. :)

keg
12-07-2012, 12:58
If my doctor okays my ankle I'd be up for it. A base camp like idea could allow people to come and go if they can't do 3 nights (or for those without the fitness needed for snowshoeing all day).

Chard
12-07-2012, 13:54
Hmm,

You have my attention Chard. I'm going to have to see what else is kicking in February, but I am attempting to make arrangements.

Dan. :)

Awesome! Shooting for three?

If my doctor okays my ankle I'd be up for it. A base camp like idea could allow people to come and go if they can't do 3 nights (or for those without the fitness needed for snowshoeing all day).

We certainly won't be snowshoeing under a load for more than an hour or so, depending on the trail. I'd still like to get back into the bush and away from busy trails and noise. Base camping it would be nice if we wanted to have a little leisure time to get out and fish, practice bushcraft or just have a wicked snowball fight!!! If there's going to be a lot of us then the trail to and from the cars will likely be easy to walk on the way out.

DRF
12-07-2012, 14:34
Sounds interesting to me. I will get back to you after I work on "she who must be obeyed". Are we pretty firm on this date?

Chard
12-07-2012, 16:06
Are we pretty firm on this date?

Hey DRF, glad to hear you're interested, but it's still a bit early to be sure of the exact date.

Jayson
12-18-2012, 14:10
Gonna have to bail on the family day weekend. Booked a weekend away with Tracey for her Christmas present and just realised it is the same weekend.

Chard
12-18-2012, 15:56
Gonna have to bail on the family day weekend. Booked a weekend away with Tracey for her Christmas present and just realised it is the same weekend.

That's really too bad, but sounds like you and Tracey have a great weekend ahead of you. There's always Algonquin in the spring!!!

Cheers

Lofty
12-28-2012, 08:24
This looks really tempting......

My only issue

I don't have a winter sleep system :(
but I do have a -7 phoenix and a -7 phincubator I could double up with a -7 down bag and a -7 burrow
- not sure if doubling up will keep me toasty - any suggestions? comments?

I'm hoping to test in the back yard -

BrianWillan
12-28-2012, 18:36
This looks really tempting......

My only issue

I don't have a winter sleep system :(
but I do have a -7 phoenix and a -7 phincubator I could double up with a -7 down bag and a -7 burrow
- not sure if doubling up will keep me toasty - any suggestions? comments?

I'm hoping to test in the back yard -

Lofty

Come test it out and see how it works for you.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65193

Cheers

Brian

Lofty
12-29-2012, 12:07
Love to - but I'm working all weekend

I may go out tomorrow night - so far my wife is OK with letting me sleep out in the yard in the winter.

jefftrex
01-02-2013, 19:22
Right now i have the family day weekend open. But i only have a 20 * F full length underquilt and a Old rag mountain TQ and a BBO topcover and BMJ with doors. i suppose i could use the ORM TQ as a under quilt and a couple of summer bags for topquilts.

not sure i will be warm enough with just my FLUQ and TQ. I may have to test it out at Valen's this weekend.

Jeff

Chard
01-04-2013, 11:15
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu3Eh2jJ0j-6PTwnoiZ2-OxvgJeKWOoqgKKbHPggrTwrxGsWR5uQ

Hi all.

I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday season.

I just wanted to start finalising the planning on our first hang of 2013!

Let's start with a role call. Please confirm if you can or are seriously thinking of coming and for what dates. Carpooling has also worked out well so please indicate if you can provide or need a ride and from where.

Dates: Feb 16th - 18th 2013
Destination: Say within an hour or so of Algonquin's West Gate.

Chard: Personally, I'm aiming at all three nights. Prefer to carpool. Can access vehicle if necessary.

http://www.diamondlakewa.org/wildlife%20contributions/eagle-snow.jpg

Bubba
01-04-2013, 12:10
Seriously working on it.

Dates: Feb 16-18
Duration: Two nights
Destination: In or near Algonquin.

I can only go for two nights and I am working until 11:00pm (possibily later) on the Friday so the earliest I can leave Saturday morning would be around 6:00 am but even that I cannot guarnatee. It would be nice to go to an area where it would be easy for people to arrive or leave at different times if necessasry.

jefftrex
01-06-2013, 08:23
right now as it stands i dont have anything planned for the family day weekend and would love to joing in on this trip. I have a BBO topcover for my blackbird and a old rag mountain TQ and Leighlo 20 deg F under quilt. i might be ok with that setup and a tarp that closes off at the ends.

Cedar328
01-07-2013, 20:47
Working hard to be available and also working towards some suggested locales. Just back from holidays and will be able to confirm later this week.

Cheers

Cedar.

BrianWillan
01-08-2013, 19:02
Greetings

I am certainly up for some winter back country hammocking adventures.

Duration: 3 nights starting on the Friday.
Destination: Say within an hour or so of Algonquin's West Gate.

As for destination, if we will be doing crown land camping, I would hope the destination is far from any snow mobile trail (I like the peace and quiet) and that the parking for cars is plowed and relatively secure. If not, anywhere in Algonquin along the Hwy 60 corridor is good for me.

I've also taken the liberty of creating a spreadsheet to help with organization of this event.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah9W3SN2Jb6ddFlONkN3ZUpaU21WcGZDUURldDFyR FE

Cheers

Brian

entropy
01-09-2013, 13:46
As luck would have it I'll be in Algonquin at the Mew Lake campground that weekend with another group. Depending on the disposition of the EGL group the campground would probably be a good quiet option, and a good base for heading out snowshoeing or whatever.

Chard
01-09-2013, 16:00
I've also taken the liberty of creating a spreadsheet to help with organization of this event.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah9W3SN2Jb6ddFlONkN3ZUpaU21WcGZDUURldDFyR FE

Thanks Brian, but I'd prefer that anyone interested post their responses on this thread. For a bigger hang, perhaps..

Chenvre
01-10-2013, 19:56
I should be good to tag along and mooch some of that tasty food off all ya's...

Duration: 2-3(?) nights
Destination: Coming from Ottawa, so does it really matter? Get me somewhere nice and quiet!

I can assist with transportation to anyone between Ottawa and our chosen site.

Bunk
01-11-2013, 05:21
I think I'm working those dates, sounds like fun though. I was up snowshoeing in APP a few days ago. I'd say there's about a foot and a half of snow on the ground.

Chard
01-11-2013, 15:27
I should be good to tag along and mooch some of that tasty food off all ya's..

Mooching? That would suggest we weren't trying to give the extra food away!

I think I'm working those dates, sounds like fun though. I was up snowshoeing in APP a few days ago. I'd say there's about a foot and a half of snow on the ground.

Looks promising for snowshoeing. Here's to hoping that you can join us for some or all of the weekend.

Here's Algonquin's Snowmobile Club's webcam pictures from the West side of the park.

http://www.algonquin-sc.on.ca/webcam.jpg

Should update automatically

snidetripod
01-11-2013, 19:58
It's nice to see you guys in Ontario have the gumption to get together for hangs. Out here in Alberta it seems a little harder. Maybe there are just less of us around out here. Maybe someday I will head out east for a road trip, and bump into some of you.

Chard
01-20-2013, 12:39
Hey guys,

Things have been pretty quiet on this thread, so I'm wondering if there's still much interest in getting out this winter. Could be the dates; could be the venue. Could simply be a question of "Hang Fatigue" in what's turning out to be a very busy new year.

Post a reply or drop me a PM and we'll see what's turns up.

Note: I'll be heading up to Algonquin's McIntosh Lake after lakers as soon as the ice is out at the end of April/early May. It'll be posted as an EGL hang and everyone's welcome. One caveat though; it's a longer trip across some larger, cold water lakes and requires moderate to advanced flatwater tripping experience. This is one of my favorite spring routes and has always been a good time. Send me a PM if you're interested.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/mcintosh2005.jpg

Chard

BrianWillan
01-20-2013, 19:12
Hey guys,

Things have been pretty quiet on this thread, so I'm wondering if there's still much interest in getting out this winter. Could be the dates; could be the venue. Could simply be a question of "Hang Fatigue" in what's turning out to be a very busy new year.

Chard

I don't think it's the dates. It could be the weird winter weather this season, or lack thereof. Unless I missed something, the venue is currently listed as "Within 1 hour of the Algonquin Park West gate".

Cheers

Brian

hankster747
01-21-2013, 04:59
I have been following trip and just waiting to book time off. I hope it's a go I'm in looking forward to winter trip. I was wondering is this a place where we can ice fish? If so what are we fishing for?

entropy
01-21-2013, 08:10
There will be a bunch of winter photography and winter camping workshops in Mew Lake campground apperently. The group i'll be with is making quinzees (assuming there will be snow...) Im sure lots of people would be very interested in how we hang. Would blow a lot of minds Im sure.. If youre all looking for something more solitary i understand, but ill be there with a big group of great guys and the more the merrier. Sites are first come first serve, but if there are people in on friday they can claim a couple.

keg
01-22-2013, 12:47
My ankle won't be healed in time so I have to pass.

Time to find a pair of boots that work with an ankle brace.

Deep Thought
01-23-2013, 00:48
Sorry to hear about your ankle Keg!

I'm subscribed and will be following this. I'm interested, but waiting to hear back on time off requests.
I just read through the thread for the Frozen Butt Hang in Finland, MN and it's got me really pumped!! Hope to re-ignite the conversation about this frozen trip. I would love a nice hike with my snowshoes, among other winter fun.

I'd like to hear more about the proposed site.

DT

Deep Thought
01-23-2013, 01:17
Dwight, Ontario, closest LCBO to Niger Lake, Ontario.
Average high of -2.7
Average low of -14.9

Record high 12.5 (1984)
Record low -37.5 (1987)

-34 tonight, feels like -38

Wouldn't it be nice?

DT

Cedar328
01-23-2013, 07:40
Hey all,

Chard, I am definitely interested in coming and will be available at least some of the weekend, working on scheduling to be able to stay till Monday.

I have been getting some suggestions from friends and have spent a great deal of time on google maps. It is really hard to find a lake with a campsite with winter fish regs that is within 2-3 km of parking that is not on a major snowmobile trail... If I can come up with a suggestion I will post it ( I have some spare time coming up early next week that has been eluding me till now).

Also planning to test some of my winter setup this week to see if I am ready for this... coming on the trip regardless :lol: It was -32 (-41 with the wind) outside my front door when I woke up at 5:30 this morning.. :eek:

As always if we end up in my area we can ditch some cars at my place and carpool to wherever ...

Cheers

Cedar

Mort
01-23-2013, 08:06
Great story and pics. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

quiet
01-23-2013, 17:31
I've been holding off until a site was chosen because I can't commit to the Monday. Some of us don't get that as a holiday (wait... is that a violin playing "Cry me a river"?)

I'm definitely in for Saturday night and maybe Friday night depending on location. I hope to have my Underground Quilt 0* UQ before that weekend and will be testing it out.

Chard
01-23-2013, 17:58
Hey guys,

Looking at the past few posts, I'm glad to see that this is still likely a "go".

At this point I'm divided between a backcountry trip to Niger or thereabouts and doing some ice-fishing, or a car camping trip to Mew Lake where we can join in on some of Algonquin's organized winter festivities (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/involved/calendar/index.php), and maybe even meet up with the elusive Entropy. If we do Mew Lake, we can always do snowshoing daytrips and we can push back as far into the bush as we want to set up camp and get away from any crowds that might appear (however unlikely). Also, Mew allows people to come and go much more readily, especially if they can't commit to a 2 or 3 night hang.

:D

Let's hear some feedback.

va3rbz
01-23-2013, 18:45
Oh, Mew Lake actually makes me quite interested in this trip! I was in Killarney last weekend (yurt, not a hammock) and was starting to feel bad that I wasn't planning on doing this trip. I have reservations on whether my underquilt and topquilt are up to the task. But, car camping or something a short haul lets me add a winter sleeping bag and some pads to the mix.

Now, time to read the thread to see when this is happening ;)

BrianWillan
01-23-2013, 19:17
Hey guys,

Looking at the past few posts, I'm glad to see that this is still likely a "go".

At this point I'm divided between a backcountry trip to Niger or thereabouts and doing some ice-fishing, or a car camping trip to Mew Lake where we can join in on some of Algonquin's organized winter festivities (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/involved/calendar/index.php), and maybe even meet up with the elusive Entropy. If we do Mew Lake, we can always do snowshoing daytrips and we can push back as far into the bush as we want to set up camp and get away from any crowds that might appear (however unlikely). Also, Mew allows people to come and go much more readily, especially if they can't commit to a 2 or 3 night hang.

Let's hear some feedback.

Mongrel and I were near the Mew Lake campground last winter on the Family Day weekend. I will say the that the likelihood of crowds appearing at the campground is quite high. It was packed last year and since they have promoted their family day event more this year, there is probably going to be a bigger crowd than last year.

So if you are looking for a more peaceful time for this trip, there is the Old Railway Bike trail that comes out of the Mew Lake Campground that goes by the Lake of Two Rivers and along to Whitefish Lake depending on how far you want to hike. The trail will be relatively flat with minimal elevation as it was a railway at one point. I will also say that the main area of the campground and the sites that are plowed aren't very hammock friendly. Unless you want to hang on top of a large snow berm.

Cheers

Brian

Chard
01-23-2013, 19:53
Having not been to Mew before, we'd have to rely on Mongrel and your impression on hanging opportunities. I think we're all agreed that we try not to be too near to a campground filled with family car campers.

Given that we're permitted to camp virtually anywhere, I can't see getting away from the crowd as much of a challenge, even if it only a kilometer or so away from Mew.

No fishing though...

Bubba
01-23-2013, 21:19
There are several trails that could work for us. Bat Lake, Hemlock Bluff, Mizzy Lake, Peck Lake, Track and Tower and Whiskey Rapids are all recommended for snow shoeing on the Algonquin Outfitters site. They should all have some kind of parking although I don't know if they will be plowed. Thoughts?

The Mew Lake option is certainly good for people that have not winter camped and for people that have come and go at different times.

There is a 5 km side trail that follows an abandoned railway from the Track and Tower trail to Mew Lake so we could also go that way from Mew Lake.

My preference is to snow shoe in a couple/few km's (depending on the weather and the condition of the trail) and make camp. If I'm going to drive 5+ hours, I'd like to feel like I'm going out into the woods if you know what I mean. Part of what I loved last year was the challenge. The issue of course would be how would people arriving at different times find each other? I can say with certainty that I won't be getting to the park until mid day. Thoughts on this?

quiet
01-23-2013, 22:24
Last year, I was able to get back into the bush far enough from the Mew Lake campground to feel like I was alone. There were lots of trees for hanging and no problems finding standing firewood. I was close enough to the campground (about half a km.) to use the heated washroom in the morning. :)

I did hear people walking by on the trail (I was about 100 m. off the trail) during the day and I suspect that this year, it will be busier. The other concern is parking. With the Family Day activities, parking will be at a premium.

I'd prefer not to fight the crowds at the campground. Perhaps one of the other lakes suggested by Bubba. I'm with him about getting back at least a couple of kms. I'm in regardless of what location.

BrianWillan
01-23-2013, 22:42
There are several trails that could work for us. Bat Lake, Hemlock Bluff, Mizzy Lake, Peck Lake, Track and Tower and Whiskey Rapids are all recommended for snow shoeing on the Algonquin Outfitters site. They should all have some kind of parking although I don't know if they will be plowed. Thoughts?

Here is a link to the Friends of Algonquin site that shows the trails that have plowed parking in the winter. Several of which Bubba has already mentioned. If the trails are regularly used for snowshoeing then they should be packed somewhat (fresh snow fall depending).

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php

Scroll down to Interpretative Trails

I would like to get more of the quiet back country feeling too for the same reason as Bubba. However my drive is a couple hours shorter than his.

Cheers

Brian

Bubba
01-24-2013, 08:30
Took a quick glance at the trails and the Mizzy Lake and Whiskey Rapids trails look promising. Going into a trail for a bit and then veering off a few hundred metres to find a nice area should give adequate privacy yet still be fairly accessible from the cars and not too difficult for late comers to find. Thoughts?

Chard
01-24-2013, 10:02
Took a quick glance at the trails and the Mizzy Lake and Whiskey Rapids trails look promising. Going into a trail for a bit and then veering off a few hundred metres to find a nice area should give adequate privacy yet still be fairly accessible from the cars and not too difficult for late comers to find. Thoughts?

Sounds very promising. We can always throw a HammockForums logos on the dash of a couple of our cars and string up some temporary marking tape for those people coming after the main group. If the terrain is rolling that'll be perfect.

I'm also a little worried about my knee and a long distance trek... We'll see.

The Old Boot
01-24-2013, 11:19
Although I can't make this one due to the lack of gear yet, I have a suggestion for you that I snagged from another forum.

Mew Lake itself is considered an organized campground and therefore the rules in regards to the number of 'sleeping unit's is in force. Also the campground fees are high.

Just adjacent to it is the old airstrip- it's considered 'backcountry' but is close enough to Mew that the heated facilities are readily available. Backcountry fees apply here. I've not been there but I'm betting that the edges of it have enough treed area to suit.

BrianWillan
01-24-2013, 11:59

The Mizzy Lake Trail says it visits 9 beaver ponds. So unless we are melting snow for water, this would be less than desirable even with boiling. This trail is also 11km long. Granted we could just walk in some distance and then walk back out the same way to save doing the whole loop.

The Whiskey Rapids trail looks interesting as it is only 2.1km loop trail.

Cheers

Brian

Bubba
01-24-2013, 12:23
I wouldn't want to do the entire trail or complete any trail loop for that matter. Only really looking at the trails as an entry point and for their parking. I'd melt snow for sure on the Mizzy trail. I'm guessing the Whiskey rapids would be good for a water source since there's a good chance of access without too much danger or ice breaking. After Mongrel told me his story about going onto the ice to get lake water, I'm happy to find some part of a river that is shallow and not frozen over and where falling through does seem as great a danger. I know getting soaked and becoming hypothermic is a concern regardless but drowning is another matter. I could be wrong though.

Chard
01-24-2013, 12:40
Good input.. I'm in agreement with Bubba; if we want to consider a Algonquin trail, we'll likely be camping not too far away from the vehicles to allow people access to their vehicles in the event of an emergency, access to additional gear, bail out.... Mongrel's point about Mew is well taken.

I haven't been on the Whiskey trail, but I like the sounds of it (Laphroig rocks!!) and from what I read, it crosses some diverse terrain. The only problem is that it may have some inclines. Anybody ever walk that trail?

As far as water goes, I'd suggest we plan on bringing in a few litres of starter water and then melting what we need. I doubt it's wise to be poking around the Oxtounge river near the Whiskey Rapids looking to dip some water.

Summary:

Mew Campground - unlikely - too busy
Mew vicinity possible - possible - People & traffic vs. heated washrooms
Hwy 60 Winter trail - likely - short hike in, backcountry experiece - looks promising
Niger Lake.. No word..

keg
01-24-2013, 17:34
If I remember right, the first bit of Whiskey is a steep down hill, maybe 15m, but the rest roughly follows the creek so is pretty flat. With snow it'd be pretty easy to slide down but getting up would be a challenge if it's at all icy (though I'm sure a detour to fresh snow could be found).

Heck, 1 km hike may be doable for my foot. Will have to wait to see though.

BrianWillan
01-24-2013, 18:52
Summary:

Mew Campground - unlikely - too busy
Mew vicinity possible - possible - People & traffic vs. heated washrooms
Hwy 60 Winter trail - likely - short hike in, backcountry experiece - looks promising
Niger Lake.. No word..

This major issues for me with crown land camping are parking and vehicle security. Secondary issue is noise from snowmobiles. Since we are going on a long weekend in winter, this is likely to be an issue. I would think most are looking for a peaceful back country camping experience.

Of course, going to Algonquin Park takes care of my major issues. On the down side for some would be no ice fishing and the nominal back country camping fees.

Cheers

Brian

va3rbz
01-24-2013, 19:10
Well, as quickly as I wanted to go, I now can't :( Apparently I'm going to Bon Jovi that weekend. Oh well, at least I can guarantee I won't get frostbite!

Bubba
01-24-2013, 23:35
If I remember right, the first bit of Whiskey is a steep down hill, maybe 15m, but the rest roughly follows the creek so is pretty flat. With snow it'd be pretty easy to slide down but getting up would be a challenge if it's at all icy (though I'm sure a detour to fresh snow could be found).

Heck, 1 km hike may be doable for my foot. Will have to wait to see though.

Hope you can make it out.

Well, as quickly as I wanted to go, I now can't :( Apparently I'm going to Bon Jovi that weekend. Oh well, at least I can guarantee I won't get frostbite!

Ha ha...apparently eh? Have fun, live on a prayer that maybe the concert will get rescheduled.

Jodster
01-25-2013, 07:36
I've fished the river at Whiskey Rapids and I think the terrain would be a be a bit of a challenge in the winter. It drops down from the parking lot to the river with some pretty steep terain. Be careful and enjoy the outing.

Jayson
01-25-2013, 23:09
So just found out that the event we were supposed to attend has been canceled. Tracey has given me the nod for this hang. Looks like I am back in.

BrianWillan
01-26-2013, 11:11

Well Shock to the Heart and Have a Nice Day ;). I'm going and I can guarantee I won't get frostbite either. :D

I've fished the river at Whiskey Rapids and I think the terrain would be a be a bit of a challenge in the winter. It drops down from the parking lot to the river with some pretty steep terain. Be careful and enjoy the outing.

Certainly a good opportunity for a nice downhill ride on a pulk or toboggan. ;) Might be less fun coming back to the parking lot.

So just found out that the event we were supposed to attend has been canceled. Tracey has given me the nod for this hang. Looks like I am back in.

Good news on that front, Jayson. Is your newly converted buddy coming along too?

Cheers

Brian

Jayson
01-26-2013, 12:48
Not sure if Austin will join in on the fun. Haven't had a chance to talk to him yet.

Cedar328
01-26-2013, 19:40
Hello All,

I have hiked the Whiskey Rapids trail a few times most recently the summer before last. It has a short steep downhill start and is relatively flat until a gradual 1/2 km incline back up to the finish. The river has numerous spots that would be safe for collecting water without worrying about rapids. Despite the recent deep freeze rivers in this area remain open wherever there is current (and unsafe to cross), which if you look at the trail map means we may only be able to camp "inside" the loop of the trail so being out of ear shot or even visual range of passersby may be difficult. In addition I believe that without foliage there is nowhere on the trail that you can't hear the highway. I haven't done this "off trail back country camping" before but I have spent a large amount of time in the park and on the day trails in recent years and I would say that the shorter more scenic trails get more of the winter traffic as well so Whiskey Rapids would definitely be included in that.

I had a look on google maps at the area behind Mew lake that one of the posts here referenced (near an old airstrip)... looks like a rail trail coming from that area cuts along the river to the back edge of Lake of Two Rivers (I think it is the Mtn Bike trail in the summer) that might provide what looks like a short trek to a lakeside/riverside bush area within reasonable distance of the heated washrooms and cars while being isolated enough from passersby to be considered wilderness?

I have a new (xmas present) pair of snowshoes that I haven't used and in addition I am in need of some preparatory exercise for this trip. If it has been decided that we are going to the park, I am more than happy to take a day and go in to the park and explore some potential sites/trails and report back. I don't know that I can do tons of snowshoeing in the shape I am in but if one or two sites become the favourites, I have a few days off this week and next and I would be glad to go look and report back? I will continue to search out "off park fishable" sites but have had little luck so far finding something I would try without going to see it in the summer first that isn't on an OFSC trail.

Let me know if there is any recon I can do and I will do my best.

Cheers

Cedar.

Cedar328
01-26-2013, 19:46
Oh ya and...

Jay great to hear you are coming out!!

Bubba since cheese is in your tag line I feel obligated to say that your "livin on a prayer" attempt at humour was definitely pure CHEESE! :lol:

Looking forward to this!

Cedar

Bubba
01-27-2013, 14:13
Yeah Cedar sometimes I crack(er) myself up.:)

Because the back country is open to us, we could always park in the lot and venture to outside of the Whiskey Rapids loop and head as far in as needed.

Bubba
01-27-2013, 14:23
The Minnesing trail is an ungroomed trail for backcountry travel. Its described as easy to difficult. I'm on my phone right now so I can't look to much into it. Anyone have any knowledge of it? Not suggesting any long walks, just what we need to get into the bush.
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/minnesing-wilderness-ski-trail.php

Chard
01-28-2013, 13:35

That's a drag... Maybe Bon Jovi has an extra pair of snowshoes he'd like to use!!:rolleyes:

Excellent... It'll be good to have you along... You sir, are a snowshoeing and trailbreaking machine!!!!

I have hiked the Whiskey Rapids trail a few times...

We may only be able to camp "inside" the loop of the trail so being out of ear shot or even visual range of passersby may be difficult. In addition I believe that without foliage there is nowhere on the trail that you can't hear the highway....
I would say that the shorter more scenic trails get more of the winter traffic as well so Whiskey Rapids would definitely be included in that.
I had a look on google maps at the area behind Mew lake... looks like a rail trail coming from that area cuts along the river to the back edge of Lake of Two Rivers...that might provide what looks like a short trek to a lakeside/riverside bush area within reasonable distance of the heated washrooms and cars while being isolated enough from passersby to be considered wilderness?

Because the back country is open to us, we could always park in the lot and venture to outside of the Whiskey Rapids loop and head as far in as needed.

The Minnesing trail is an ungroomed trail for backcountry travel. Anyone have any knowledge of it? Not suggesting any long walks, just what we need to get into the bush.

Good feedback on possible destinations. My take is that we look at the various winter trails, find a path less travelled and plan to camp a ways off the trail out of sight and earshot of the highway. If one of the trails cricles around an intervening hill, that would be great. Scenic vistas are always nice and being out of the lowlands allows us to avoid the "cold sink" as well as giving us access to hardwoods for our fires. I don't relish the idea of maintaining a serious fire all weekend, as we did last year, with softwoods.

I'm going to run highway 60 on Google Maps Street View and check out the terrain around some of the shortlisted winter trails and see if there's anything that fits the bill.

I am more than happy to take a day and go in to the park and explore some potential sites/trails and report back.

If you're up for it Cedar, a drive along Hwy 60 for some detailed information about the view from the highway would be great as we're likely not to go in too far. See if anything fits the bill. Stop and check out anything that looks promising. Let me tell you, I envy your proximity to the Park.

Brian/Mongrel, last year two of the winter trekkers we me in Valence said they were going into the park to Source lake. Is that another option. If I recall, it was along a service road.

Lofty
01-28-2013, 20:44
Looks like my son and I are in :D

if you'll have us - 'cause we might be tenting :eek: - I know I have enough for tenting .....
I just need to get creative with insulation so we can hang- I know I have enough - just need to figure out who gets what

I have ......
- 2 exped mats
- 20º phoenix
- 20º phincubator
- 20º burrow
- 2 x -7ºc Down Mummy
- -7º synthetic UQ DIY
- 0º synthetic UQ DIY

either way - I just want to get out for some cold camping ....:cool:

Bubba
01-28-2013, 21:17

Good that you are coming out!

Looks like my son and I are in :D

if you'll have us - 'cause we might be tenting :eek: - I know I have enough for tenting .....
I just need to get creative with insulation so we can hang- I know I have enough - just need to figure out who gets what

I have ......
- 2 exped mats
- 20º phoenix
- 20º phincubator
- 20º burrow
- 2 x -7ºc Down Mummy
- -7º synthetic UQ DIY
- 0º synthetic UQ DIY

either way - I just want to get out for some cold camping ....:cool:

Of course you can join in on the condition you teach me a few magic tricks...

...oh and how to juggle as well. ;)

BrianWillan
01-28-2013, 22:28
Brian/Mongrel, last year two of the winter trekkers we me in Valence said they were going into the park to Source lake. Is that another option. If I recall, it was along a service road.

It is an option. The only draw back being is that the road is not plowed. So they had to dig out a parking spot for 1 vehicle and they shuttled their cars back to Mizzy Lake Trailhead.

Cheers

Brian

quiet
01-30-2013, 00:07
I went into Source Lake by a different route than the wintertrekkers. I parked at the Art Gallery parking lot (it wasn't plowed when I arrived, but the day I left, the plow came in just as I was leaving) and crossed Hwy. 60 to the Source Lake access road at the east end of the lake.

The road was not plowed but I snowshoed in, hauling my toboggan. It was a hard haul as the road was hilly. Going uphill, I was leaning so far forward my body was parallel to the ground. When I slipped, I'd do a face plant into the snow. Refreshing... but irritating. Going downhill, I'd be trying to outrun my toboggan as it came hurtling behind me (UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) is slippery!). Try running in 16" X 48" traditional snowshoes! When I tripped, the toboggan would run me over, leaving me flattened into the snow. :) It was actually a great trip. I camped on Bruce Lake after I crossed Source.

On the way back, I noticed someone came in after me but turned off the access road towards the east. Later, I checked the map and there's a little unnamed lake not far from Hwy. 60. That might be an option as it is not far off the hwy., but far enough into the bush.

The only concerns I have are the unknown lake is near enough to the hwy. that you could hear the traffic and crossing Hwy. 60 is dangerous. There's a curve on the hwy, east of the access road and the logging trucks barrel around it without slowing down. I was alright by myself, but a group of people crossing may be an accident waiting to happen.

If we can find another, safer location, I'd feel better.

Jayson
01-30-2013, 01:04
Was looking at a map over supper tonight. What about the Mizzy lake trail. it is only a short walk to parking. I have no problem taking the last car to the lot and walking back. Lots of small lakes to camp at and explore.

Oh and my buddy is in as well. We will be staying Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

We really should decide on a place to stay soon and maybe get a head count.

Bubba
01-30-2013, 09:30
I suggested Mizzy Lake. A consideration Brian put forth was the numerous beaver ponds may limit our water collection to melting snow which is why I suggested Whiskey Rapids. I'm not opposed to relying on snow melting but having a water source does save time and fuel.

I agree we should finalize a location soon but it would be good to wait and hear from Cedar first after he does his recon. If we were all meeting and going in together it would not be as big a deal since last year we were able to figure logistics after we got to the park. On this trip some are coming a going at different times so communication via mobile, paper notes, and trail markers will need to be used to ensure we can make it to the same location.

Jayson, since you and your buddy will be there on Friday I guess it will be up to you (and any other early Friday arrivees) to break the trail and find a good area for the rest of us. If you are actually breaking trail, it shouldn't be hard to follow your tracks however if it the weather sees fit to cover your track we need to figure out a way for the path to be marked like some yellow ribbon as your trail markers or something like that. What to you think Jayson?

Chard
01-30-2013, 11:01
As usual, I'm in agreement with Bubba... From a personal point of view, unless we need to hunker down against extreme cold/weather, I'd prefer to try and find a camping spot higher up that has scenic vistas.

That being said, Mizzy Lake sounds like an interesting option... Looking at the trail, it looks like it branches very early on.. to the west it winds around some hills, to the east it descends to follow the Mizzy river upstream about 1.5 km to it's source. Let's wait to see if Cedar comes in with some "on the spot" feedback.

I'm not too worried about melting snow for water as long as we have a good group fire going and everyone is willing to do their best to gather/process firewood. A roaring fire like we had on Swan was wonderful but voracious.

As far as coordinating the trip for late arrivals goes, maybe if the first ones in tape a quick note on their dashboard with basic directions. We shouldn't be too hard to find. We'll likely even have cell coverage so that'll make it easier. Frugal use of flagging tape at key junctions might be helpful, but could also lead casual snowshoers into our camp by mistake. Maybe one at the carpark, even in the car with the note, to set the colour, another where we pick the east or west spur and a final one where we break off the main trail. That and a safety whistle should take care of locating the group.

Chard

BrianWillan
01-30-2013, 11:55
That being said, Mizzy Lake sounds like an interesting option... Looking at the trail, it looks like it branches very early on.. to the west it winds around some hills, to the east it descends to follow the Mizzy river upstream about 1.5 km to it's source. Let's wait to see if Cedar comes in with some "on the spot" feedback.

Perhaps another option is to use the east branch of the Mizzy lake trail and follow that up past Mizzy lake, bushwack a bit to catch the access road trail to Source Lake and camp where that road meets the rail trail in that area. The pros of this is using the potentially well packed Mizzy Lake trail, all cars can be parked at Mizzy Lake trailhead. No vehicle shuffling needed for those that are coming and leaving at different times. We can get water from Source Lake, instead of melting snow.

Thoughts? I do agree that we need to get the destination and route nailed down soon.

Cheers

Brian

Lofty
01-30-2013, 12:32
I'm definitely confirmed with my son

I'm good with wherever you choose.

A few things

Ill be up Saturday AM If we all go in together that'll be cool.
As a thought - if someone was up Friday and found a spot I know there is cell service along 60 that can go into the bush a few KM. Perhaps post GPS cords of site.

Ill have axe and probally my buck saw. - I like splitting wood (at home I heat with wood so it's nothing new to me)

For water - melting is fine / I always bring lots fuel - if there's a stream the filter is always in the pack.

Looking forward to this trip !

Cedar328
01-30-2013, 13:34
Hi all,

So a slight snag in the recon plan... My son, who is already in a full leg cast, now has chicken pox which means no school. Combine with a couple "no bus" days, this week has eaten up all my free time this week. Tomorrow I am going to drive up to the park with the boy and have a look around at our potential sites but obvious mobility issues mean that it will be mid next week before I can get out of the car and go for a hike to find a spot.

As far as the head count goes I am definitely attending. Anytime after noonish I can head up to the park on the Friday. I am still waiting on scheduling regarding Monday so there is a good chance I am staying till the end but a small chance that I will have to head home Sunday evening.

I will report back as soon as possible and will monitor the thread to make sure I have a look at all suggestions.

Cheers

Cedar.

Jayson
01-30-2013, 13:53
Hi all,

So a slight snag in the recon plan... My son, who is already in a full leg cast, now has chicken pox which means no school. Combine with a couple "no bus" days, this week has eaten up all my free time this week. Tomorrow I am going to drive up to the park with the boy and have a look around at our potential sites but obvious mobility issues mean that it will be mid next week before I can get out of the car and go for a hike to find a spot.

As far as the head count goes I am definitely attending. Anytime after noonish I can head up to the park on the Friday. I am still waiting on scheduling regarding Monday so there is a good chance I am staying till the end but a small chance that I will have to head home Sunday evening.

I will report back as soon as possible and will monitor the thread to make sure I have a look at all suggestions.

Cheers

Cedar.

Hey Cedar. Hope your boy gets to feeling better! We won't be to the park till close to noon on Friday. We will for sure wait for you to hike in together...another body to break trail ;)

Bubba
01-30-2013, 15:01
Perhaps another option is to use the east branch of the Mizzy lake trail and follow that up past Mizzy lake, bushwack a bit to catch the access road trail to Source Lake and camp where that road meets the rail trail in that area. The pros of this is using the potentially well packed Mizzy Lake trail, all cars can be parked at Mizzy Lake trailhead. No vehicle shuffling needed for those that are coming and leaving at different times. We can get water from Source Lake, instead of melting snow.

Thoughts? I do agree that we need to get the destination and route nailed down soon.

Cheers

Brian

That sounds doable. Looks like that would be around 2.5 to 3 km. A lot would depend on the condition of the trail. Last year walking in was really tough goings but walking out on the same trail was easy.

Roll Call

Confirmed
Bubba
Chard
BrianWillan
Jayson and friend
Cedar 328
Mongrel
Lofty and son

Possible
keg
hankster747
Deep Thought

Have expressed interest but have not responded recently
dant8ro
blackd
DRF
chenvre
jefftrex

Chard
01-30-2013, 15:38
Hey Cedar, I'm really sorry to hear about you young'n. I hope he's up and around and giving you grief soon!!!:laugh:

That sounds doable. Looks like that would be around 2.5 to 3 km. A lot would depend on the condition of the trail. Last year walking in was really tough goings but walking out on the same trail was easy.

Totally agree.

Frankly my knee's been bugging me and breaking trail several kilometers to Source Lake is not in the cards. If the trail was a well packed snowshoeing trail, that'd be different, but not fresh snow. Also, by going that far back we might lose the easy access some people were looking for, especially if they wanted to have emergency/backup gear in their cars fairly close at hand.

Oh, thanks for the list. I drafted the same one last night :laugh:. You beat me to it!

Jayson
01-30-2013, 15:41
Dont forget me and Austin will have went in Friday afternoon. By Saturday morning the trail will be cintered up nice and firm. I have a roll of flagging tape so no worries marking the trail.

Bubba
01-30-2013, 16:05
I suppoe we'll have to trust Jayson, Austin and Cedar to gauge the trail and leave it up to them to decide on where to make camp based on the preferences of the others.

My only priorities are to be away from the highway and other algonquin visitors. A nice moderate hike is nice but I'm not interested in anything overly challenging. Don't want to be parallel to the ground going up hills like mongrel.:)

Jayson
01-30-2013, 16:09
I think Brian's suggestion of cutting off the Mizzy trail onto the Rail Trail toward Source Lake is good. We can follow the shore line of Source Lake North and East for a little way of trail. Trail should be good if three of us walk it first.

BrianWillan
01-30-2013, 18:43
I think Brian's suggestion of cutting off the Mizzy trail onto the Rail Trail toward Source Lake is good. We can follow the shore line of Source Lake North and East for a little way of trail. Trail should be good if three of us walk it first.

I plan on heading up on Friday morning, so there will be an extra body to help pack down the trail. According to the algonquinmap.com site (downloaded version, it is about 2km from the trail head to the top of Mizzy Lake.

I am sure with enough flagging tape we can make it easy to find us.

I am hoping we get more snow. With today's record temperatures and rainfall the snow depth in the area has dropped to below 12".

Cheers

Brian

quiet
01-30-2013, 22:40
Anyone hauling a sled or toboggan? Or is everyone backpacking?

quiet
01-30-2013, 22:50
Hi all,

Cheers

Cedar.

Hey Cedar, hope your son feels better soon. How long does he have to wear the cast?

Bubba
01-30-2013, 23:14
Many thanks to all the trailbreakers!

Mongrel - I'll be pulling a sled.

Cedar- hope your boy isn't scratching up a storm.

Chard
01-30-2013, 23:45
Anyone hauling a sled or toboggan? Or is everyone backpacking?

I'll certainly be... Going to wax her up on the weekend.

Jayson
01-31-2013, 00:34
I will have a sled as well. Also gonna bring my big kettle and a small grill for the fire.

Chenvre
01-31-2013, 16:05
I will be bringing my sled as well.

I still need to purchase snowshoes...

Put me on the confirmed list for arriving Saturday morning and staying until the food is gone.

Deep Thought
01-31-2013, 17:19
I'd like to thank all those intrepid explorers and those people with knowledge of the area. I wish I knew the area better to add my two cents.

All I can say about snowmobiles is, if you're camping near a lake, especially a large one, it doesn't matter where you are, the echo of the machines roaring in the distance will find you. That was my experience hanging over New Years.

I should be able to go up early, leaving from Toronto. May be able to offer a ride to an eager early bird. Or at least co-ordinate with those trail-breakers. Both my snowshoes and I are in need of a workout.

I'm camping with the Scouts this weekend, so I get to test all my gear. I'd advise others to test/check their stuff beforehand as well (backyard or park). Make sure it's all ship shape and Bristol fashion and can safely handle the temps.

I'm thinking about pulling a sled. Winter stuff is heavy. :P

DT

Bubba
01-31-2013, 18:28
Chenvre and Deep Thought - Good that you guys are coming out.

Roll Call

Confirmed
BrianWillan - Arriving Friday
Cedar 328 - Arriving Friday
Deep Thought - Arriving Friday
Jayson (and Austin) - Arriving Friday
Bubba - Arriving Saturday
Chenvre - Arriving Saturday
Lofty and son - Arriving Saturday?
Mongrel - Arriving Saturday
Chard - Ariving ?

Possible
keg
hankster747

Have expressed interest but have not posted recently
blackd
DRF
jefftrex

Not this year but maybe a future trip
BillyBob58

quiet
02-02-2013, 19:11
I'm arriving Saturday morning as early as possible. I can only stay the one night so want to make the most of my time.

BillyBob58
02-02-2013, 22:35
Man, you guys are brave! Depending on if it is unseasonably cold and/or stormy, Y'all could really end up testing some extreme temps!

Do Y'all allow deep south redneck rebel types over the border up there? Won't happen this year, but joining in on a hang like that could be a major adventure for a southern boy whose record in a hammock is 10F!

Bubba
02-03-2013, 06:40
Man, you guys are brave! Depending on if it is unseasonably cold and/or stormy, Y'all could really end up testing some extreme temps!

Do Y'all allow deep south redneck rebel types over the border up there? Won't happen this year, but joining in on a hang like that could be a major adventure for a southern boy whose record in a hammock is 10F!

You're more than welcome to join us Billy Bob! My nickname is Bubba afterall.:) Chard coined the term "EGL-Eastern Great Lakes" hangers to include our hammock brethren south of the border. Last year us crazy Canucks got down to -13F. Who knows, it could go lower this year. 10F is nothing to sneeze at!

dant8ro
02-03-2013, 16:53
Hi All,

Despite great fun at last years event, I am not able to attend this one.

Have fun, think warm thoughts.

Dan.

Bubba
02-03-2013, 17:17
Hi All,

Despite great fun at last years event, I am not able to attend this one.

Have fun, think warm thoughts.

Dan.

That's too bad Dan. Hope to see you in the Spring.

BrianWillan
02-03-2013, 18:35
We need to start praying to the snow gods for more snow in Algonquin Park. According to webcams outside the park, there is well less than 12" of snow.

So I'll start.

I think I'll leave my snowshoes home and put my summer tires back on the car. ;)

Chard, are you planning on wearing your sandals and a pair of shorts? :D

Cheers

Brian

Chard
02-03-2013, 19:31
Chard, are you planning on wearing your sandals and a pair of shorts?

Way ahead of you!! Already took the long underwear out of my pack and threw in an extra pair of flip-flops!

By the way, you can get a sense of the snow conditions around the province by checking out some of the snowmobiler's websites.. OFSC Interactive Trail Map (http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer/).

Cedar328
02-05-2013, 22:39
Hi All,

It has taken me a little while to get back in front of a computer since my laptop gave up last week. Although I wasn't able to do any walking around with the one legged kid in tow I did make it to the park last Thursday and did a bit of questioning and some driving. There's a lot of info here so I am going with point form;

- Some park rules (some that have already been said in this thread); You are not allowed to camp within 30m of any trail or roadway and it is considered common etiquette to avoid camping within sight of any trail being used in the winter, You need to check in at a station or gate, the west gates' hours have returned to last years not the rumoured mid week closing however the only 24 hour gate is the east gate (all the other gates and stations have a phone and you can call the east gate and arrange payment over the phone. Every vehicle needs a permit and should have a "camping location and exit date" posted in the window. Leaf lake and Fen lake trails are groomed for xcountry the Minnesing trail is not groomed but it is considered bad etiquette to snowshoe on xcountry tracks and in some places on this trail that means doing some considerable bushwhacking (few if any people snowshoe there according to Kevin the gate attendant).

- I spoke with Kevin the gate attendant (he is always there when I go he has worked 20+ yrs at the west gate) and I spoke with the staff at AO and got the following advice (some of which is already in this thread). If you are going camp in the back country choose a south or east facing hill to avoid the wind, avoid being within 100m of any large body of water and for sure not on the south east shore of any body of water (see wind direction above). The reputation you have with the park staff matters, if we repeat this trip with respect each year our access to roads and to ploughing schedules (which apparently we can have some influence on) will improve.

- I spoke with Craig Macdonald a hot tent maker and importer of fine egyptian cotton who is a retired 25yr+ algonquin ranger. There is a trail (unmarked on any map) that is maintained by a keen group of snowshoers including some park staff that runs to Source lake (and beyond ) from the Hwy just across the road from the Art centre (big parking lot). The reason for this trail is that to the west the Mizzy lake trail is apparently too rocky and to the east the roadway trail that Mongrel reported on is too steep. My eagle eye daughter spotted this trail and it is easily seen as far as I could see without leaving sight of the car. Craig's wife has shoed this trail a couple times this year and says it is an easy to moderate trail that takes about 60-90 min to get to Source lake on without carrying gear.

- When I drove in, the Whiskey Rapids trail parking lot was not plowed, Kevin says it is sometimes because there is a hydro/antenna station in the lot and the service of that station dictates the intermittent plowing.

- The area behind Mew lake is a lowland protected from wind but prone to the cold sink that Chard alluded to. And the trail that runs to the south then to the west is a common area for Hot tenters to set up and given the family day festivities there likely will be a few. However the trail that goes to the south and east from there along the south side of Lake of two rivers (rail trail) runs along the bottom of a ridge, head south off that trail you go up the ridge and pop over to a south facing hill out of sight of the lake and the trail but it is a steep looking hill when I look at if from the highway. The walk to this area base on Mrs MacDonald's time scale would mean a 2 hourish walk mostly on flat rail with a steep climb at the end.

- Finally my little personal find... while driving through I found a small plowed section on the south side of the highway right at Km 50 where 5 - 6 cars would fit. I was looking at a circular hill south of the highway all hardwood forrest and it looked like a short walk would bring you around the hill to the south side protected from the wind and the highway noise in probably less than 1/2 an hours walk. When I saw the parking I got out and there is a portage there, for those of you who have canoe maps it is either the 1885 to Pinetree lake (more likely because it is also marked as access point 12 and that explains the parking) or the 985 to Bud lake. I think that taking this trail and then veering right (bushwhacking north west ) onto the southfacing side of the hill has a great potential view over a few lakes and those lakes offer a few km of portages for those interested in a lake to lake day hike/adventure The only draw back to this is that it is close to the Leaf lake xcountry trails northwest border... how close I don't know because they don't share a common map but at the least on the opposite side of Pinetree lake.

This is what I was able to find out on the drive through. There is a 50/50 chance that I will have a day this week or early next week to go up and get out of the car and do some more detailed recon, so if there are any requests let me know.

As for scheduling I now have confirmed Monday off work so I will be there all three nights and I got a new (used) second underquilt today so bring on the cold :D

Sorry for being so long winded

Cedar

Cedar328
02-05-2013, 22:45
Oh forgot a few notes;

Almost all rivers have been open since the thaw early last week and we should not consider them crossable and since the weather has been unpredictable and all over the place this winter, park staff have been advised not to comment on ice thickness and safety so proceed with caution if crossing any water (more than usual)

If you trust the 14 day trend from the weather network highs near -7 and lows between -12 and -17... good times but a little warm for braggin rights. :lol:

Cheers

Bubba
02-05-2013, 22:51
Thanks for the recon and sitrep Cedar. It really helps to have intel and eyes on for this mission. (Sorry, I had a dream last night that I was a Navy SEAL)

Chenvre
02-06-2013, 09:44
Awesome recon, Cedar! Thanks.

How does the snow depth look out there? Forecast has a couple weather systems passing through that way before the long weekend so hopefully there will be some fresh snow.

Looks like I can also get there friday at some point instead of saturday. Perhaps I can break trail with the first group out...

My car may not make it through the unmanaged roads, so when things get closer I might be asking for a carpool from somewhere near the park.

Jayson
02-06-2013, 10:06
Chenvre, depending what time you can be there I can meet you at the meeting lake parking lot and give a ride to where we will leave from.

Cedar after I get some sleep I will be going over my maps, your idea of South sounds good. And the unmarked trail to source lake would be ideal!

Chard
02-06-2013, 11:11
Great scouting report Cedar...

I think the Source Lake trail sounds like the one the Mike & Mike of Wintertrekkers mentioned last year in Valens. Definitely a good option.

I also like your discovery of "Pinetree Heights". Sounds very promising.

A little bad news on my part. I mentioned a while ago that my knee's been bugging me. Well on Sunday I managed to wrench it pretty well. I limped over to get x-rays and an ultrasound done yesterday and hopefully will get the results by the end of the week. I hate to say it, but at this rate, I won't be able to manage any more ambitious routes, like Cedar's trail to Source. Even Pinetree Heights might be a challenge (although a prebroken and set up trail would definitely make it easier). Even walking around in the office is painful, but if anything changes I'll definitely post an update. What I'd suggest is that you guys keep planning the trip you want to do, and if it winds up being something I can manage, then I'd try to come out, but probably only for an overnighter.

Cheers,

Chard

Chenvre
02-06-2013, 11:20
Chenvre, depending what time you can be there I can meet you at the meeting lake parking lot and give a ride to where we will leave from.

Sounds good, I can essentially leave whenever and meet up wherever, I just need to factor the driving time, which I can worry about when it gets closer to the date.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Chard. Myself and others (I assume) would be more than happy to help out lugging your stuff to base camp if you can manage to make it. I think my sled might be able to carry you as well if we have to force you to join us! :D

BrianWillan
02-06-2013, 19:35
A little bad news on my part. I mentioned a while ago that my knee's been bugging me. Well on Sunday I managed to wrench it pretty well. I limped over to get x-rays and an ultrasound done yesterday and hopefully will get the results by the end of the week. I hate to say it, but at this rate, I won't be able to manage any more ambitious routes, like Cedar's trail to Source.

That is unfortunate news about your knee, Chard. Knee injuries are tough as it greatly affects mobility.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Chard. Myself and others (I assume) would be more than happy to help out lugging your stuff to base camp if you can manage to make it. I think my sled might be able to carry you as well if we have to force you to join us! :D

I am sure everyone would pitch in to help out Chard with his gear, but in winter the risk of mechanical injury due to slippery conditions or unseen hazards is high enough for those with healthy knees. I don't think it is wise to risk permanent knee damage on a winter trip. As the saying goes, there will always be a next group hang.

Cedar, that was a great scouting report. That unmapped snowshoe trail to Source Lake and beyond from the Art gallery parking lot.... did you get any further information on where it goes after it hits Source Lake? According to the online maps for Algonquin, on the south side of Source Lake there is a rail trail that leads to the west and North that puts us at the NW corner of Source like (same spot if access by Mizzy Lake trail).

The winter trekkers that were at Source Lake last winter went up the access road by Ouse Lake to where the rail trail meets this road and then tucked in. It was reported that the hike in was relatively easy. They parked one car in the snow bank at the access road and shuttled all cars to the Mizzy Lake trail head parking lot (about 1km west).

Cheers

Brian

Bubba
02-06-2013, 20:02
Keep in mind I'll be arriving mid day Saturday so I'll likely be going in alone and there fore will need somewhere to park. If that would spoil the chance at a good spot for the group then I don't want to hold everyone from it. I can always do my own thing if necessary.

Jayson
02-06-2013, 22:02
I say we use the trail into Source Lake...across from the art center. Lots of parking there. I will bring flagging tape so we can be found.

Chard if you decide to come i will happily walk out and help get your gear in...my pulk is pretty big so....

Lofty
02-06-2013, 22:15
Parking is a concern for me too

But

If mizzy lake has parking and about a KM From trail I'm ok with the hike if the trail is on the easy side and the hike from trail head to our site isn't too far.

Lofty
02-06-2013, 22:17
Jayson

That's what I'm looking for (source lake)
If there's parking yay !

I'm good with that.

BrianWillan
02-06-2013, 22:41
I say we use the trail into Source Lake...across from the art center. Lots of parking there. I will bring flagging tape so we can be found.

The question on that one, is where does this trail across from the Art Center meet Source Lake? If anywhere it is going to be on the south side of the lake, which is undesirable from a wind stand point. I am certainly not going to entertain any ice travel with conditions unknown and variable at the best of times. I would also prefer not to have the hike in be much more than 1.5 - 2 hours.

Cheers

Brian

Lofty
02-06-2013, 22:51
As another note
On the Algonquin forums I was recommended mizzy lake (I was going to head up last month but plans changed)

As long as I have a place for my car I'm happy

I haven't had a chance to look as Jeff's map (I've been on my iPhone all week)
But for the few that are close and suggested places ill take your advice.

quiet
02-07-2013, 00:03
When I got my permit for Bruce Lake via Source Lake, the gate attendant told me about the unmarked snowshoe trail as an alternate route. The entrance of the trail is very close to the entrance of the access road. I checked the trail entrance when I went in, but decided on the unplowed access road instead.

On my return, I was going to come back via the unmarked trail, but ran into thin ice and open water. When I crossed Source Lake back towards access point # 7, I went past it into the narrow bay beyond the access point. The end of this bay was where the attendant had told me the trail comes into Source Lake. As I got closer to the end of the bay, the ice got more wobbly and I spotted open water at the end. That was also when my ice probe went through the ice. I turned around and went back to access point # 7 to get back on the road out. There’s a creek that feeds into the bay close to the end and that was probably why the ice was so thin. This was back in February, 2010 and the snowshoe trail may go somewhere else now.

I’m still leery of the highway though. There’s a nice wide shoulder on the hwy. to park for unloading, but when I was going in and coming out, the logging trucks were actually partially on the shoulder as they barreled around the curve. Also, when I was there, the snowbank was quite high beside the hwy., which meant loading/unloading was a challenge. I don’t know what it’s like this year; maybe Cedar can comment on this.

I'd prefer Mizzy Lake. My .02 cents.

Lofty
02-07-2013, 08:30
I'm voting mizzy
From what I've read there's parking at the trail head (hopefully plowed)

If its a popular trail then we will have a relatively easy hike untill we veer off and bushwhack to camp.

Bubba
02-07-2013, 08:51
I think Mizzy would be good for me as well. A parking lot will be good for unloading, organizing and getting underway. The trail would be easy to follow and when Jayson marks the turn off for me and other Saturday arrivees, then that should also facilitate find you guys.

Chard
02-07-2013, 14:34
I will bring flagging tape so we can be found.

The trail would be easy to follow and when Jayson marks the turn off for me and other Saturday arrivees, then that should also facilitate find you guys.

I'm certain flagging tape will really help, but be careful not to overdo it. I can just imagine a stream of irrate snowshoers getting sidetracked off the main trail and dropping in for hot chocholate, especially if the EGL side trail winds up being the more heavily travelled one with all the people coming. Maybe flag tape a sign onto a tree where we branch off the main trail that reads...

<---- Alognquin Mew Lake SnowShoeing Trail<----
----> EGL HANG ---->

Just an idea.

Anyways, I see my doctor Tuesday :confused::rolleyes:.

Bubba
02-10-2013, 03:05
Hey everyone. A week away and I'm just updating the roll call. We still have not officially decided on a site but issues like parking and safe unloading are certainly factoring into people's preferences. Mizzy lake trail has gotten a few votes but not everyone has chimed in.

Roll Call

Confirmed
Chenvre - Arriving Friday
hankster747 - Arriving Friday
Lofty and son - Arriving Saturday

Possible
Chard
keg

hankster747
02-10-2013, 05:11
I was going to head up for Friday morrning, are people going to meet at gate or coffee shop before heading in?

Bubba
02-10-2013, 06:21
I was going to head up for Friday morrning, are people going to meet at gate or coffee shop before heading in?

Hey hankster, nothings been discussed yet.

Roll call updated.

Chenvre
02-10-2013, 08:17
I'm also coming friday morning now, hopefully to be breaking trail with the first group.

I have no preference on spots as I am an Algonquin noob. I have to go by the experience of you fine folks.

is anyone planning on fishing?

Jayson
02-10-2013, 10:26
Austin and myself will be at the West Gate by 11am. Will then be proceeding onto the Mizzy Lake Trail and into the bush. I think we will be aiming for a point close to (45* 33' 39" N, 78* 40' 19")

Chenvre, icefishing is not allowed inside the park. We need to stay on Crownland for that.

BrianWillan
02-10-2013, 11:30
Greetings People

After doing a little testing with my new HDPE toboggan and 16x48 Huron snowshoes on the fresh snow that fell on Friday, I decided that doing a lengthy hike into the back country is not conducive to my state of physical fitness. The idea of the trip for me is for some fun and relaxation. However, if I am going to need a vacation from my vacation when I get back, then I defeated the purpose of going in the first place.

I'm going to do some solo camping in the area I was in last winter off the Mew Lake campground.

Have fun on your trip everyone.

Cheers

Brian

hankster747
02-10-2013, 13:39
Sounds good Jason, I will try and meet you there!

Lofty
02-10-2013, 18:09
Ill be there Saturday
Jayson .. Ill meet you at west gate @ 1100.

Jayson
02-10-2013, 18:16
Sorry shoild have been clearer. We will be there Friday morning. Staying until Monday morning.

I will put up several peices of hunter orange flagging tape to mark where we turn off the Mizzy Lake trail and then everyso often along the way to whereever we end up.

Chard
02-10-2013, 18:19
I'm really hoping I can make it out. Sounding better and better. If I get the green light, hopefully you guys won't head in too deep.

hankster747
02-11-2013, 03:09
I'm going to be at west gate house for 11.00 fri.

Bubba
02-12-2013, 02:21
Looking at Google maps, this area appears to be a decent spot. Its on the NW part of the lake and its tucked in at the base of a SE facing hill. It also appears easy to get to since its just east of an old railroadbed that the trail meets up with. The roadbed might be a good spot to veer off the trail. It would make it easier finding you guys.

45.560789,-78.672497

Thoughts?

Roll Call

Confirmed

Chard
02-12-2013, 10:36
Sorry gang it's official. Next stop MRI. When I asked about snowshoeing this weekend I got the "are you serious" look.

I'll keep watching this thread in envy. Have yourselves a fantastic time and be safe. Bring back lots of pictures.

Cheers,

Chard

Jayson
02-12-2013, 12:48
Looking at Google maps, this area appears to be a decent spot. Its on the NW part of the lake and its tucked in at the base of a SE facing hill. It also appears easy to get to since its just east of an old railroadbed that the trail meets up with. The roadbed might be a good spot to veer off the trail. It would make it easier finding you guys.

45.560789,-78.672497

Thoughts?

Roll Call

Confirmed

Possible
keg

Yup Bubba that is basically the same area I posted we were going to aim for.

Chard: sorry to here you wont be joining us. Hope the knee gets better soon!

keg
02-12-2013, 20:28
I'll have to be on the IR list with Chard. Doc looked over MRI results today - next stop orthopedic consult. I'm probably stuck with car camping for the next while.

Have fun guys.

Deep Thought
02-13-2013, 03:17

45.560789,-78.672497

Here is a picture I took of the area from my Basemap program using Ibycus 3.2 Topo.
http://i.imgur.com/TG4KRKL.jpg
*Note, My Ontario Trails GPS map and my Algonquin Park map shows that the Mizzy lake trail is an ~11 km loop from 60 up to West Rose Lake and Wolf Howl Pond (Ibycus 3.2 doesn't show that, for some reason the east side is cut off...I'm downloading 4.0 now).

I take it parking is at the Mizzy Lake Trail head on the north side (Arrowhon Rd) or Smoke Lake parking lot across the road on the south side?

I'd like to meet up with the Friday Morning people, if possible. I'll be staying until late Sunday Afternoon...if all goes well :)

WEATHER: Mild weekend?
Friday
Cloudy with 70 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High minus 2.
Saturday
Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 13. High minus 4.
Sunday
A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 16. High minus 7.
Monday
A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 14. High minus 4.

DT

PineMartyn
02-13-2013, 10:20
If it's permissible, I'd like to drop by and meet some of you on Friday or Saturday after you're all setup and settled in.

I recently purchased a used Hennessy (without suspension system), made my own tree straps and whoopie sling suspension, and spent my first night in a hammock last night in my bedroom (my wife's out of town so I took advantage of that to put in some wall anchors. ;)). Because I don't own any of the gear for winter hammocking, I can't camp overnight, but I'd welcome an opportunity to meet some of you veteran hangers and pick up some pointers.

- Martin

Bubba
02-13-2013, 10:44
If it's permissible, I'd like to drop by and meet some of you on Friday or Saturday after you're all setup and settled in.

I recently purchased a used Hennessy (without suspension system), made my own tree straps and whoopie sling suspension, and spent my first night in a hammock last night in my bedroom (my wife's out of town so I took advantage of that to put in some wall anchors. ;)). Because I don't own any of the gear for winter hammocking, I can't camp overnight, but I'd welcome an opportunity to meet some of you veteran hangers and pick up some pointers.

- Martin

You are more than welcome to stop by. I don't think anyone will be heading on the trail much earlier than 11:00am on Friday. Saturday may be a better day to visit since it would give you more time to hike in and out. Looking forward to meeting you.

PineMartyn
02-13-2013, 10:56
You are more than welcome to stop by. I don't think anyone will be heading on the trail much earlier than 11:00am on Friday. Saturday may be a better day to visit since it would give you more time to hike in and out. Looking forward to meeting you.

Thanks Bubba. I might not be able to make it on Saturday, but I'll see if I can shuffle things around to be there then instead of Friday.

- Martin

Jayson
02-13-2013, 19:48
Martin, Saturday would probably be best for a day in to visit. But if you want to come Friday we are planning to be at the West gate by 11am...you are more than welcome to join us for the walk in. We don't care if you hang or sleep on the ground if you choose to stay!

Deep Thought
02-13-2013, 20:41
Martin, Saturday would probably be best for a day in to visit. But if you want to come Friday we are planning to be at the West gate by 11am...you are more than welcome to join us for the walk in. We don't care if you hang or sleep on the ground if you choose to stay!

Martin: Bring whatever you can scrounge up for warmth so you can at least hang your new Hennessy (show it off!!) and try a nap while you're visiting during the day.
It wouldn't do to have you hike all that way in with only some food and beverage in your backpack...

I plan to meet with Jayson and Hankster at the West gate for 11am

DT

quiet
02-13-2013, 22:46
I'll be at the west gate for 09:00 on Saturday. I should be at the trailhead by 09:30.

Deep Thought
02-14-2013, 01:07
Some info:

Winter expedition info:
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml#Winter%20Camping%20Trip%20Teaching% 20Plan

Algonquin:

Mizzy Lake Trail is located at km 15.4 of Highway 60. At Arowhon Rd.
Latitude/Longitude: 45.542515°, -78.695621°

West Gate Open
Friday, February 15, 9am – 4pm (& Saturday)
The West Gate features current information, permits, publications and bathroom facilities when entering Algonquin Park through the western end of Highway 60 near Dwight, ON. A wheelchair accessible facility.

Maximum of 9 people per backcountry campsite.

Valid to March 31, 2013
Age 6 - 17 inclusive $5.00*/person/night
Age 18 + $11.75*/person/night
Ontario Senior rates have been discounted by 20%, rates for Ontario persons with disabilities by 50%

Possible plowing:
The following interpretive trails have ploughed parking lots or parking areas throughout the winter months. (However... another page states: Access to trail head parking lots may vary in winter.) Based on the "Winter in the Wild Festival" going on Saturday, this may effect parking lot plowing.

Algonquin Logging Museum
Bat Lake Trail
Beaver Pond Trail
Big Pines Trail
Centennial Ridges Trail (parking at Highway 60 only)
Hemlock Bluff Trail
Mizzy Lake Trail
Peck Lake Trail (parking at Highway 60 only)
Spruce Bog Boardwalk
Track and Tower Trail
Two Rivers Trail
Whiskey Rapids Trail

EVENTS:

("Mew Lake Campground BBQ starting at 3:30pm" Mmmmm....)

Winter in the Wild Festival 2013
Saturday, February 16
Join Ontario Parks and The Friends of Algonquin Park, in celebrating winter in Algonquin Park through this family event on Saturday, February 16, 2013. Indoor and outdoor events will be held at various locations throughout the Highway 60 Corridor of the Park.

All of the activities during the festival are free with the purchase of a Daily Vehicle Permit or Camping Permit with the exception of food. Lunch can be purchased at the Visitor Centre which is open 9:00am to 5:00pm. A barbecue dinner may be purchased at Mew Lake Campground starting at 3:30pm.

Events Schedule

For complete event details see www.algonquinpark.on.ca…
Keep up-to-date about this event automatically. Select "Other Event Actions" (below) and then "Notify me of changes" and enter your e-mail address. You will receive automatic updates for this event as they are posted.
Guided Winter Bird Walk - 8:30am to 10:00am - Meet at Spruce Bog Boardwalk Trail (km 42.5)
Winter Landscape Photography Tips with Peter Ferguson - 9:00am…

DT

Chenvre
02-14-2013, 22:53
Double-checking my gear and making sure I have everything...

I'll be meeting at the west gate for 11am, hopefully bright-eyed. See you all there on Friday or Saturday!

Jiblets
02-15-2013, 00:12
Have fun guys. I'm looking forward to the trip report and pics. See you in the Spring.

Bubba
02-15-2013, 16:36
Well the first intrepid trekkers ventured off today leaving the rest of us to prepare to head out tomorrow. Too bad some of those that were going to come ended up cancelling. Maybe next time.

Chard
02-15-2013, 19:07
Well the first intrepid trekkers ventured off today leaving the rest of us to prepare to head out tomorrow. Too bad some of those that were going to come ended up cancelling. Maybe next time.

Well I wish you guys the best of luck and suspect you'll have a great time. The weather looks cold and crisp and it looks like Algonquin got some fresh snow over that last week. Take care. Stay off the lakes and rivers and bring back lots of pics and stories of good food!!

Anyway, I'm really bummed out that I couldn't make it. I guess my snowshoes will just have to wait a little bit longer. Maybe I'll start refinishing my paddle and dream.

PineMartyn
02-17-2013, 08:33
On Saturday afternoon I stopped in on the hangers to meet some of my fellow Ontario hangers, check out their setups, and pick up some tips and tricks. What a welcoming bunch of fellows! It was terrific to see, with my own eyes, the sort of terrain one can camp in using a hammock and I must say I'm looking forward more than even before to the warm weather so I can enjoy some crown land camping in my hammock. One of the biggest difficulties of camping off-trail, outside of parks, etc is the lack of suitable tent sites.

My thanks to all the fine hammockers who took the time to answer a lot of newbie questions and show me their setups. I wish I could have stuck around longer before I had to head for home. I hope to be able to join you all for your next group hang.

I took a few pics, but will hold off on posting them here until the hammockers are back home, in case there are objections.

Thanks again gents!
- Martin

Cedar328
02-18-2013, 20:50
Thank you all for an awesome baptism into true cold temperature winter hammocking. I really enjoyed using the snowshoes for the first time and testing the gear that I have accumulated. Hope everybody made it home safe and sound... looking forward to the trip report.

Cheers

Cedar

Lofty
02-19-2013, 10:07
So who's thermometer are we using for the official temperature

Mine @. -27°c
The other one - I believe Jaysons @ -27.5°C

Ozz
02-19-2013, 11:10
So who's thermometer are we using for the official temperature

Mine @. -27°c
The other one - I believe Jaysons @ -27.5°C

For Sunday night we used mercury, digital and online and our final temp of was -31.1. Looking forward to the AAR.

Was nice to meet all that attended. Was a great weekend.

BrianWillan
02-19-2013, 11:50
For Sunday night we used mercury, digital and online and our final temp of was -31.1. Looking forward to the AAR.

Was nice to meet all that attended. Was a great weekend.

If you guys did get -31.1 C (-24F), I think that is now the coldest group hang temperature record.

Cheers

Brian

Jayson
02-19-2013, 11:55
When I woke up Monday morning at 8am my thermo read -30*C. I checked Ozz's mercury and there was no mercury in the tube...-30 minimum on it. So ya it got cool!

Lofty
02-19-2013, 13:15
in looking at environment Canada
the two closest stations

Friday - Haliburton -22.5ºC / East Gate -26.3ºC
Saturday - Haliburton -31.0ºC / East Gate -31.4ºC
Sunday - Haliburton - N/A / East Gate -30.5ºC

wow cold weekend! :)

Still what are we agreeing on for Saturday night / Sunday Morning :D

Deep Thought
02-19-2013, 16:07
When I woke up Monday morning at 8am my thermo read -30*C. I checked Ozz's mercury and there was no mercury in the tube...-30 minimum on it. So ya it got cool!

-30 on Monday morning??? Nooooooo!!! why did I have to leave??? :(

Still, minus-whatever, it was fun hanging with you guys.

Did you get my message on your way out?

DT

Chard
02-19-2013, 18:19

Dag-nabbit!!!! Now I'm twice as irked at myself for not being able to get out and join you guys!!!! -23.9*F/-31.1*C!! That sounds awesome!!! I have to know, were the trees cracking and popping like last year?

It's definitely an EGL record low, but I still think Mick's -47*F/-43.8*C takes the cake, followed by Turnerminator's -34.6*F/-37*C, Almosa's -29*F/-33.8*C and Shug's -26*F/-32.2*C. -44*C!! Tht's nuts!!! (see Coldest Hang Records (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66830&highlight=coldest+hang&page=2))

Come on heal knee - HEAL!!!

Bubba
02-20-2013, 23:05
Trip Report here. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=945394#post945394)