PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird has landed

Dutch
12-15-2008, 14:11
I just recieved my BB. It looks awsome. I finally understand the footbox. It really has a flat lay and the workmanship is perfect. It is huge inside. I checked every stitch and other than some places where the stitching stop and starts for no reason like the bobbin ran out every stitch is perfect. The tri-rings are really cool and light. I don't get the double barrel cord lock on the BB bag, it seams over kill. The cord lock on the tie outs is really strong and should do very well. What is the nicest is you can take it out of the box and hang it without having to change anything.

I am almost finished with my 5th quilt, I got a new hammock, I'm going to Grand Canyon in 10 days. Man life is good. If I had know it was going to be this good I wouldn't have been such an angry man when I was younger.

moski
12-15-2008, 14:23
Join the ranks of happy Black Bird owners :D
Have fun in Grand Canyon!

Cannibal
12-15-2008, 14:23
Ahh, but anger makes us want to improve our world. Bet Brandon was angry when he was designing that footbox.

I'm such a creature of habit I haven't really used the double-barreled stuff sack to it's potential either, but it's nice to know I always have the option. Good thing that new shelf is there otherwise I'd never find my water bottle in that thing; too big and too many spaces it can hide.

GrizzlyAdams
12-15-2008, 14:43
so Dutch, for your next "Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat trick" I'm expecting to see you turn an ordinary run-of-the-mill hang-glider into a Blackbird clone.

Grizz

warbonnetguy
12-15-2008, 15:05
you're the first to complain about those big double barrel cordlocks (different from the ones that are on the hammock itself) i really hate them too, but i've got a huge box of them unfortunately. i figure if someone hates them bad enough, they can pretty easily be switched out.

enjoy the grand canyon, are you going to try and hang? are there lots of trees down there? might be a challenge, maybe not.

canoebie
12-15-2008, 15:12
"I wouldn't have been such an angry man when I was younger."

Amen to that!! It is amazing how perspective changes. I am looking forward to a few extra $ for one of these. My view of wants and needs has changed dramatically with age. Such simple pleasures.

When all of you endorse this so heavily, I, in my hanging infancy, am absolutely convinced based on the collective wisdom of those of you who have purchased them. (Smile) Endorsements do matter.

canoebie
12-15-2008, 15:15
I just recieved my BB. It looks awsome. I finally understand the footbox. It really has a flat lay and the workmanship is perfect. It is huge inside. I checked every stitch and other than some places where the stitching stop and starts for no reason like the bobbin ran out every stitch is perfect. The tri-rings are really cool and light. I don't get the double barrel cord lock on the BB bag, it seams over kill. The cord lock on the tie outs is really strong and should do very well. What is the nicest is you can take it out of the box and hang it without having to change anything.

I am almost finished with my 5th quilt, I got a new hammock, I'm going to Grand Canyon in 10 days. Man life is good. If I had know it was going to be this good I wouldn't have been such an angry man when I was younger.

Good luck hanging. I hiked down and out in two days in 2000 and don't recall a lot of hanging opportunities. Anxious to hear how that goes. I want to go again, and not do the whirlwind tour I did with my younger type A sister last time. A friend of mine gave me good advice, stop at every bend and just look.

Dutch
12-15-2008, 17:18
I am thinking of abandoning the idea of hanging. Suck it up and just take a OES tarp and a thermorest and a quilt. I considered looking for some boulders I can hang from but I have to realize I'm in the desert. I haven't slept on the earth since 2002.

Brandon I figured the double barrel cord lock was a supply being used up. Anyhow really great hammock, I am sure this is my hammock of choice now and I have a few to choose from

Griz I don't plan on cloning the BB but there and a whole range of accessories that I am going to have to make. Special UQ, overcover, wine bottle holder.

Mustardman
12-15-2008, 18:04
I haven't been to the grand canyon, but I've been dying to hang in a rocky area. I'd love to use some climbing gear to rig my hammock right to some cracks in cliff walls or boulders. Would be sweet...

Dutch
12-15-2008, 18:55
I haven't been to the grand canyon, but I've been dying to hang in a rocky area. I'd love to use some climbing gear to rig my hammock right to some cracks in cliff walls or boulders. Would be sweet...

Grand canyon would be the place to try it. Where else are you going to find rock face a mile high.

Roadtorque
12-19-2008, 01:00
All this treeless Grand Canyon talk raises the question about how well the BB sets up on the ground, anyone tried this that can report back?

BillyBob58
12-19-2008, 11:39
All this treeless Grand Canyon talk raises the question about how well the BB sets up on the ground, anyone tried this that can report back?

No, but I can't think of any reason it would not work as well as any other hammock. It would give you a nice zippered bug net, with a top entrance. I don't know if it is wind or water resistant at all. If not, I suppose you could beef it up with some spray on DWR like Speer recommends to gain some additional "bivy" like qualities under your tarp.

Cannibal
12-19-2008, 11:53
how well the BB sets up on the ground, anyone tried this that can report back?

BLASPHEMY!
:tongueup::D

If one were so desperate it would probably work fairly well. The nylon wall is pretty high where it attaches to the netting, so you'd have a bath-tub of sorts.

warbonnetguy
12-19-2008, 12:51
all but the mint green seconds fabric is dwr, watch out for abrasion from the ground though.

slowhike
12-19-2008, 22:09
If I were to ever be forced???:confused: to use my hammock on the ground:scared::confused: I would at least use something for a ground cloth between the hammock & the ground:confused::confused::confused:
and better yet, a ccf pad to protect the hammock from abrasion.

Dutch
12-19-2008, 22:48
I can't imagine taking my brand spankin' new BB and putting it on the ground. I think after a hammock touches the ground you have to burn it, don't you.

fin
12-20-2008, 14:43
I can't imagine taking my brand spankin' new BB and putting it on the ground. I think after a hammock touches the ground you have to burn it, don't you.

LOL.:lol:

The bugs would have to be pretty bad for me to set up my BB on the ground. I'd rather sleep under the stars, and let the occasional mosquito feast on me.

Take-a-knee
12-20-2008, 15:22

Now that is funny.