PDA

View Full Version : Southern california hangers?

UrbanWild
12-09-2012, 13:42
Are there any members in the Southern California area that want to get together for some hang time? I live in Westwood and generally go to the Angeles Forest area, but am open to learning of other places to go locally (within a 1-2 hr. drive).

Mudman
12-12-2012, 02:32
I'll keep you posted. Maybe we should plan some kind of SoCal get together? Not too many Socal folks here actually meet up. Would be a good thing to start for next year.

Triggerhpy
12-27-2012, 00:35
I've had two small get together here in Big Bear. I'd like to have one in April up here at Sarrono campground.http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&contractCode=nrso&parkCode=serr

JohnSawyer
12-27-2012, 01:01
I've had two small get together here in Big Bear. I'd like to have one in April up here at Sarrono campground.http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&contractCode=nrso&parkCode=serr

I am looking forward to the next BigBear hang! Triggerhpy's hospitality is legendary... (his dutch oven chili is now a staple in my camping crowd)

John in San Diego

georgemaung
12-27-2012, 01:03
I am interested in the Big Bear hang also. Any possible dates set yet?

I want to have a freeze your butt hang out here in the West. I am always envious of the big gatherings in the East Coast.

Triggerhpy
12-27-2012, 01:11
I am looking forward to the next BigBear hang! Triggerhpy's hospitality is legendary... (his dutch oven chili is now a staple in my camping crowd)

John in San Diego
Thanks you are to kind...

I want to have a freeze your butt hang out here in the West. I am always envious of the big gatherings in the East Coast.
Not as of yet.

Triggerhpy
12-27-2012, 01:18

A Cold Butt Hang... To get cold you don't have to go to the mountains. It can pretty dang cold out in the desert.

JohnSawyer
12-27-2012, 01:25
A Cold Butt Hang... To get cold you don't have to go to the mountains. It can pretty dang cold out in the desert.

Too True, but not too many trees in the desert...

georgemaung
12-27-2012, 03:58
Triggerhpy

Nice set-up. Just curious, why don't you hang from the Joshua trees. ( I think they are Joshua trees).

Also, where do you get the ridge beam. Is it one long continuous piece?

Thanks.

JohnSawyer
12-28-2012, 14:46
The Joshua's are fragile and protected.... something like 9,000 of them in existence.

WillieCash
01-03-2013, 18:32

I've finally got enough gear that it would make sense to come out to one of these things and am interested in getting out to see how many of you guys that are much more skilled with knots and experienced with set-up than I am handle your rigs (no double entendre implied).

I've been tossing around the idea of doing a hang at Blue Jay compground off the Ortega Highway in the mountains just west of Lake Elsinore. It's certainly cold enough, has plenty of trees, is open year round, is removed from the city, and is close enough to civilization that an escape route is feasible.

arczeneb
01-03-2013, 23:13
If the dates are right I would be willing to see trees outside the Vegas valley.

Jester
01-11-2013, 12:56
Count me in. Schedule permitting, of course.

georgemaung
01-11-2013, 13:47
I am interested.

Thanks.

WillieCash
01-14-2013, 13:34
Blue Jay Campground (http://www.theortegahighway.com/Fun/camping.html) is fairly centrally located between San Diego, Los Angeles, Riverside and open all year.

The winter months are much less visited and still cold enough to keep bugs down.

March?

Boots13
01-15-2013, 02:39
I've finally got enough gear that it would make sense to come out to one of these things and am interested in getting out to see how many of you guys that are much more skilled with knots and experienced with set-up than I am handle your rigs (no double entendre implied).

I've been tossing around the idea of doing a hang at Blue Jay compground off the Ortega Highway in the mountains just west of Lake Elsinore. It's certainly cold enough, has plenty of trees, is open year round, is removed from the city, and is close enough to civilization that an escape route is feasible.

+1 on seeing more experienced in action, im in

WillieCash
01-15-2013, 13:49
Saturday, March 16th over night to Sunday the 17th?

One night OK with everyone?

UrbanWild
01-15-2013, 16:52

I'd be interested in Big Bear in April except for the 12th-19th when my brother will be in town (and he's NOT a hanger :laugh:).

I have two commitments in March so far (weekend of the 9th & 23).

And of course there's always May and June and rest of the summer if we can find spots with good trees and low crowds. This may involve packing in a few miles, but I hope that wouldn't put too many of you off.

UrbanWild
01-15-2013, 16:57

This looks like a great spot for a hang, too! Perhaps the weekend of the 20th?

WillieCash
01-15-2013, 16:59
I'd be interested in Big Bear in April except for the 12th-19th when my brother will be in town (and he's NOT a hanger :laugh:).

I have two commitments in March so far (weekend of the 9th & 23).

And of course there's always May and June and rest of the summer if we can find spots with good trees and low crowds. This may involve packing in a few miles, but I hope that wouldn't put too many of you off.

So you are saying you have the 17th or March free (depending on how many positive responses we get for the date, of course).

Maybe we should make a distinct thread for each possible event?

Should we stick with the March 17th, Blue Jay trip in this one or should I make another thread for it?

WillieCash
01-15-2013, 17:26
If interested go to:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=913265#post913265

Triggerhpy
01-16-2013, 17:26
Count me in. Schedule permitting, of course.

Ditto that.