PDA

View Full Version : Warbonnet Yeti Review

animalcontrol
12-21-2008, 19:50
Received my Warbonnet Winter Yeti UQ this week and managed to get out for an overnighter to test it out

Weather
28*F at midnight/5*F at 0800.
Winds consistent 15 mph, gusting to 35.
Wind chill -10*F to -25*F

Our campsite was sheltered on 3 sides so we missed about 50% of the wind.

Equipment
1.7 oz double layer Warbonnet Blackbird (BB)
MacCat Ultra tarp
Warbonnet winter Yeti 2/3 UQ and 3/8" Gossamer Gear CCF under my butt and legs
Moonstone Great Divide 5*F down mummy bag used as a TQ
Nalgene with 25 oz of hot water in wool sock at my groin.

Clothes
base layer of Mid weight Duofold (tops and bottoms)
Duofold turtle neck
Bavaclava
1 layer of midweight Smartwool socks

UQ
Down, 2/3 asym cut UQ (approx 37"Wx45"L)
4.5" differential baffles
Draft tubes on each end
WBG states weight as 21 ounces. I did not verify.

Set-up was outstanding and simple...pass each end of the hammock under each end of the UQ suspension. The UQ suspension is a continuous loop of bungie that passes thru side channels on the UQ (see pics if this doesn't make sense)
The UQ suspension is held in place by tension against each end of the hammock. I wish I had a good pic of this but I don't...maybe later.
Once you lie in the hammock, you can adjust the UQ by sliding it up/down the length of the hammock so it fits your position in the hammock. Very, very nice system..completely adjustable

Ultimately, this UQ surpassed my expectations. I had access to a JRB weather shield but chose not to use it to test the range of the UQ. My tarp is long, but not as tall on the sides as I might want in the winter. It was pitched 1.5' to 2' off the ground and I had a nice "breeze" all night. I stayed very warm and toasty (except for those nature calls) until getting up at 0800.

Only exceptions to warm and toasty...easy to understand, I had 2-3 periods of wind that found their way under the UQ. I could easily reach out and adjust the UQ from inside the hammock to close it off. Worked very well. My feet started to chill slightly towards morning...I had down booties with me but never actually put them on.

This was a VERY successful test. With an Weather shield or overcover, I should easily get another 10*F putting this UQ below 0*F.

Disclaimer...I'm no Neo :rolleyes: but I do sleep fairly warm. I consistently exceed sleeping bag temp ratings by 5-10*F.

Hope this helps
Thanks WBG for another outstanding product!

pics (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4637&c=13)

Take-a-knee
12-21-2008, 19:58
Animal, thanks for the review. The Yeti sounds like it is aptly named. Sounds like you need a Speer Winter Tarp or one of Brandon's oversize tarps.

warbonnetguy
12-21-2008, 20:16
the baffles are 3.5" in height rather than 4.5" though.

Mule
12-21-2008, 20:22
Very well written report, and I can say I saw it happen. If I didn't already have some nice quilts I would be getting one of those babies. Warbonnet rocks! Mule

animalcontrol
12-21-2008, 20:50
the baffles are 3.5" in height rather than 4.5" though.
Maybe it was overlofting when I got home :rolleyes: pic (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4641&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
It was pretty windy!

Cannibal
12-21-2008, 21:23
Nicely done animalcontorl! One of my favorite things about the Warbonnet stuff is how simple he makes things. Plus, you just gotta love the name: Yeti. :scared::D

animalcontrol
12-22-2008, 21:52
Animal, thanks for the review. The Yeti sounds like it is aptly named. Sounds like you need a Speer Winter Tarp or one of Brandon's oversize tarps.
been mulling that option over...I think I'll make an weather cover and give that a ride before I add another tarp...
0*F doesn't happen very often around here. If I can make the weather cover work, I'll have "covered" most situations I need

Cannibal
12-22-2008, 23:43
animalcontrol- Is the suspension on your Yeti adjustable? Or is it just a single loop of shockcord tied at the end?

animalcontrol
12-23-2008, 07:06
animalcontrol- Is the suspension on your Yeti adjustable? Or is it just a single loop of shockcord tied at the end?
It arrived as a single loop, knotted at one end. WBG guy included directions covering the possiblility of needing to adjust the length on shorter hammocks.
I was thinking of adding a cord lock at my left shoulder. This way, I could cinch it tighter if needed (don't ask why I thought of this, think 30 mph wind and no weather cover!):eek: Still, IMO, that combo of wind, temp and limited tarp coverage, the Yeti exceeded my expectations. I might never duplicate that situation again...
I was going to run the idea of tighting it further by WBG to get his input.

animalcontrol
12-23-2008, 07:19
Maybe it was overlofting when I got home :rolleyes: pic (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4641&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1)
It was pretty windy!
Grizz explained this "additional loft" in his description of his new diff cut UQ...
It appears that you get higher loft measurements with a diff quilt laying flat than hanging on the hammock...and the explaination makes sense to me! link to thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6466)
I didn't even have to ask for that explaination...this site never fails to amaze me

Cannibal
12-23-2008, 10:46
I was thinking of adding a cord lock at my left shoulder. This way, I could cinch it tighter if needed (don't ask why I thought of this, think 30 mph wind and no weather cover!):eek:

The original design had a strong double cord lock at the top where it passes over the whipping mass. Just one long line of shockcord, but not knotted at the end. It allowed me to adjust for length very easily and noticed that the Yetis don't appear to have that little feature.

It was just a convenience and added a couple of grams (weenie), so I guess I can see why he stopped doing that. Thanks for the answer.

animalcontrol
12-23-2008, 10:49
The original design had a strong double cord lock at the top where it passes over the whipping mass. Just one long line of shockcord, but not knotted at the end. It allowed me to adjust for length very easily and noticed that the Yetis don't appear to have that little feature.

It was just a convenience and added a couple of grams (weenie), so I guess I can see why he stopped doing that. Thanks for the answer.
my thought was to steal the double cord lock from the stuff sack (same as the BB bishop sack) and use it as it is overkill on the stuff sack

cavediver2
12-23-2008, 10:56
It arrived as a single loop, knotted at one end. WBG guy included directions covering the possiblility of needing to adjust the length on shorter hammocks.
I was thinking of adding a cord lock at my left shoulder. This way, I could cinch it tighter if needed (don't ask why I thought of this, think 30 mph wind and no weather cover!):eek: Still, IMO, that combo of wind, temp and limited tarp coverage, the Yeti exceeded my expectations. I might never duplicate that situation again...
I was going to run the idea of tighting it further by WBG to get his input.

That is what I did I talked about it with Brandon as well the one thing I did wrong was I put the UQ line at the foot end of the hammock where it was gathered. Brandon told me that it really needs to be flipped up on the foot box which makes it lay better and does not give such a gap that did work but I still put chord locks that I stole off a old sleeping bag on both ends.

Now I have some adjustment works good

Cannibal
12-23-2008, 10:56
If it's the same cord lock as on my stuff sack, I don't think it will hold. There's more tension on that cord than you might think. Maybe if you tied a little knot behind the cord lock; I bet that would work. The one on my torso UQ has a little thumb handle that you have to pull out to release the locks. Really strong, but a serious PITA to learn how to use; a third hand would be wicked convenient. :)

animalcontrol
12-23-2008, 11:51
That is what I did I talked about it with Brandon as well the one thing I did wrong was I put the UQ line at the foot end of the hammock where it was gathered. Brandon told me that it really needs to be flipped up on the foot box which makes it lay better and does not give such a gap that did work but I still put chord locks that I stole off a old sleeping bag on both ends.
I also had my shock cord tensioned at the gathered point. Putting the foot end shock cord over the ridge line? (or did you mean the shockcord needs to run ontop of the footbox? I had it tensioned to the gathered material and over the top of the footbox) I would have alot of extra shock cord then...

If it's the same cord lock as on my stuff sack, I don't think it will hold. There's more tension on that cord than you might think. Maybe if you tied a little knot behind the cord lock; I bet that would work.
More testing!! Shouldn't be too hard to nail down and knot if necessary.
Cannibal - Do you put the foot end shock cord over the ridge line on your UQ? Is your suspension similar to the Yeti?

Cannibal
12-23-2008, 11:59
Other than the cordlock and one other minor modification, the suspensions are identical. No, I don't go over the ridgeline with the shockcord. I do really snug it up high on the whipping mass which kind of 'hooks' it over the fabric at the foot end. Holds in place perfectly, the only times I've had a problem is when I didn't have the shockcord running over the footbox. Doesn't take long to discover. :scared:

Cannibal
12-23-2008, 12:08
Found a pic!

You can see behind the ugly temp. yellow ridgeline the beefy double cord lock that allows the easy adjustment. The 'other minor mod' can be seen also. Just two short lengths of shockcord that I tie together near the headend of the hammock; the cordlock has since gone bye-bye on that, just a knot nowadays. There were some initial problems getting a perfect seal under the shoulders (that have been solved) so the small lengths of cord were tied together to help pull the end of the UQ up snug. Worked like a charm.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/suspension_at_whipping_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4668&c=13)

animalcontrol
12-23-2008, 12:11
Other than the cordlock and one other minor modification, the suspensions are identical. No, I don't go over the ridgeline with the shockcord. I do really snug it up high on the whipping mass which kind of 'hooks' it over the fabric at the foot end. Holds in place perfectly, the only times I've had a problem is when I didn't have the shockcord running over the footbox. Doesn't take long to discover. :scared:

I'm with you - Over the footbox and around the 'whipped mass'
I think I misunderstood Cavediver...I'm sure he will clarify

cavediver2
12-23-2008, 17:37
I'm with you - Over the footbox and around the 'whipped mass'
I think I misunderstood Cavediver...I'm sure he will clarify

Maybe I do need to clarify: I use the knotted end as a place to rest it on then the cord goes down more or less the top of the foot box but since I have put those cord locks on there it is easyer to sung it up on the foot end then when I am in the hammock i can use the other cord lock right there by my side to sung it there if needed.

hope that helped to clarify what I was saying

cavediver2
12-23-2008, 17:39
Found a pic!

You can see behind the ugly temp. yellow ridgeline the beefy double cord lock that allows the easy adjustment. The 'other minor mod' can be seen also. Just two short lengths of shockcord that I tie together near the headend of the hammock; the cordlock has since gone bye-bye on that, just a knot nowadays. There were some initial problems getting a perfect seal under the shoulders (that have been solved) so the small lengths of cord were tied together to help pull the end of the UQ up snug. Worked like a charm.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/suspension_at_whipping_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4668&c=13)

that is how mine looks

warbonnetguy
12-26-2008, 13:37
you can add a cord lock or two. the posigrip cordlocks from owf are about the strongest regular cordlock. there's alot of tension, so the cordlock might slip. you could just tie the susp a couple inches smaller if needed. direct wind hitting the edges will probably get in no matter what, best to block the wind with a tarp.

warbonnetguy
12-26-2008, 13:39
that mod cannibal linked to helps with hammocks hung with little sag to provide more upward pull. i think the easiest thing is to ditch that cordlock and just tie those mod cords together with a shoestring knot.

animalcontrol
02-01-2009, 11:57
used it at Mt Rogers
night 1 was 28-30*F w/20-25 mph wind...no problems staying warm
night 2 was low of 10*F rising to approx 20*F by daybreak. Had a little cold butt issue but put another layer of insulation at my butt (my hat) and fixed it.

I was using a 30*F sleeping bag as a top quilt, the Yeti, a full length ccf pad (doubled under my legs), and my DIY hammock and I no issues (I had to adjust the suspension of the Yeti to fit my hammock but it was expected) I took a temp reading under my TQ and was reading 82*F almost too hot!

I'm very happy with the performance, weight and compressibility of the Yeti.

Red Hat
06-09-2009, 12:41
Quote Animal Control (page one) ...and the explaination makes sense to me!
It made sense to you? That's the kind of stuff that makes my eyes glaze over on this site. Never did like math... I think I'll just have to buy a yeti if I can figure out how... It's not listed on Brandon's site... What do they run anyway?

animalcontrol
06-09-2009, 12:45
It made sense to you? That's the kind of stuff that makes my eyes glaze over on this site. Never did like math... I think I'll just have to buy a yeti if I can figure out how... It's not listed on Brandon's site... What do they run anyway?
email brandon and ask...email address is on the website www.warbonnetoutdoors.net (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/)
kbwaddy(at)gmail.com

warbonnetguy
06-09-2009, 13:49
yeti's on sale for 175$ at the moment.

MedicineMan
06-09-2009, 16:09
Is the Yeti differential cut?

warbonnetguy
06-09-2009, 16:41
yep, in 2 directions

east_stingray
06-09-2009, 16:54
Are you talking about the winter yetis being on sale or the 3-season version?

Cannibal
06-09-2009, 17:11
Are you talking about the winter yetis being on sale or the 3-season version?
I wish! Pretty sure he's talking about just the 3-seasons. He's still playing with the winter version design last I heard.

east_stingray
06-09-2009, 18:07
I wish! Pretty sure he's talking about just the 3-seasons. He's still playing with the winter version design last I heard.

That's what I though, but I was under the impression that this thread was originally about the winter version. Hey, a guy can dream...

warbonnetguy
06-09-2009, 18:53
yeah, only 3-seasons are avail now. winter version will hopefully be avail. by winter

Mars
06-09-2009, 20:43
LOL - it snowed here yesterday = it's still winter in Montana

animalcontrol
06-10-2009, 07:07
LOL - it snowed here yesterday = it's still winter in Montana

<<<up for a road trip to Montana for more SNOW!!! :D

Cannibal
06-10-2009, 09:13
<<<up for a road trip to Montana for more SNOW!!! :D
I'll meet you there! It's only a few hours for me and I've got an overcover that needs some testing. :D

animalcontrol
06-10-2009, 09:25
I'll meet you there! It's only a few hours for me and I've got an overcover that needs some testing. :D
let me get done with our Northern Hang the rest of this week (wish you could have made this one) and I'll gladly trade some tick pickn for some high mountain snow! google maps says only a 29 hour drive! :thumbup:
Now, as glad as I am to have a JOB right now, it does get in the way of doing other stuff! ;)

warbonnetguy
06-10-2009, 09:41
we got about an inch of hail on sunday

cavediver2
06-10-2009, 12:56
Great review allot of good stuff in it.

Big D
06-10-2009, 14:31
Well, my BBird and 3S Yeti are in the air headed back to their home state. I am gonna get in a little mountain campin'. Yea me!! I have used my Yeti, but this should give me a better idea of it's low temp. I can barely wait to pick up my gear and head up the hill. I only get to camp/fish a couple days, but that's better than nothing! I will report back ASAP.

Big D
06-10-2009, 14:36
we got about an inch of hail on sunday

Hi Brandon,
I have seen the scattered T-storms report, but are you guys getting really bad weather? I'm gonna be around beaver creek.

Cannibal
06-10-2009, 14:52
Big D-
Weather has been pretty nice out here; generally sunny and warm during the day. It will be cool to cold at night up at Beaver Creek and afternoon t-storms are the rule of the land. Fishing should be good and the rivers/streams/lakes are full.:shades: