PDA

View Full Version : who knows about good places to hang in northern california?

THE DANGLER
12-16-2012, 02:15
I've recently had a transfer to another dept at work and after the new year I'll have every weekend off. This is great because my wife and I have mostly had conflicting schedules and now will have the opportunity to do some camping together.
So my question is, does anybody out there know of some good places to hang in Northern California? Summer and winter.
I live about 10 miles west of Sacramento.
Looking to hopefully drive less than 2-3 hours.
I don't have the gear for both of us to do much of any cold weather camping yet.
She prefers car camping and day hiking. Although she is not opposed to packing in a short hike to a developed site and day hiking from there. I myself love to hike and just camp off trail and don't mind high mileage days.

Also, I do enjoy learning about the history of the particular places I hike and camp. I know California has a very rich settler, mining and Native American history. So anything you guys might know about these particular places I would be very interested to hear about that as well.

I didn't see too many northern cali hangers listed on the HF google map but I know you're out there...

pepsiaddict60
12-17-2012, 06:07
I am from Sacramento.
My quick trips are around Clearlake/Rumsey and Ice House. both around 32 degrees right now.
Gear testing is done along the Sacramento river, Its a bike ride away.

North West to to coastal red woods. Take longer straps!

steveflinn
12-17-2012, 06:34
I like the coastal redwood forests. I'd recommend Frog Lake at Armstrong Grove. That gives you a terrific trip through the valley and wine country before you come into the Russian River valley. Armstrong Grove will steal your breath away.

monkeykoder
12-17-2012, 11:40
You know it could be useful if we posted climate types in this thread. You know for those of us that want a winter hang location that isn't too terribly cold. Just saying inquiring minds *might* want to know.

steveflinn
12-17-2012, 17:47
Coastal climate is Koppen-Geiger class Csb and Sierras near The Dangler are generally Dsb.

For Armstrong Redwoods average January temperatures ranging from 35F/2C to 56F/13C and July temperatures from 45F/9C to 85F/28C. An inch in a day of rain is about right when it rains, though there's canopy above. The most rainfall in 24 hours was 8.40 inches (213 mm) on February 8, 1960.

Bring a functional tarp when you go to a rainforest.

Sidewinder
12-17-2012, 20:30
So many places to go from where you are. If you go 2-2.5 hours you'll be in the heart of the Sierras. I spent most winters in the Castle Peak area and a good amount of time in the summers around the Lake Tahoe area.

You mentioned CA mining history:

If you go to the south Yuba river there are trails that will lead to into the Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park (the site of what was once the world's largest hydraulic gold mine)

I did a trip in the Plumas national forest (Round Lake near Greenville, ca) this summer and camped not far from a working mine. Didn't know it until I heard the sound of machines starting up in the morning.

A bit further north in the Trinity Alps I often run into folks packing in horse loads of gold panning gear.

Have fun planning your trips and let us know where you end up going.

S

garyg763
12-17-2012, 21:00
Desolation Wilderness is awesome during the warmer months and the coast is great for the winter. Welcome to Northern California there is no place equal.

THE DANGLER
12-17-2012, 22:19
I am from Sacramento.
My quick trips are around Clearlake/Rumsey and Ice House. both around 32 degrees right now.
Gear testing is done along the Sacramento river, Its a bike ride away

North West to to coastal red woods. Take longer straps!

Excellent, I didn't know I had a forum member so close by:)
I've done a fair amount of camping around Lake Berreyessa, beautiful countryside over there:D If you drive Berreyessa Knoxville road between Clear Lake and Lake Berreyessa you will find a lot of hiking trails and open camping on all the BLM land in between.

I like the coastal redwood forests. I'd recommend Frog Lake at Armstrong Grove. That gives you a terrific trip through the valley and wine country before you come into the Russian River valley. Armstrong Grove will steal your breath away.

+1 on the north coast! A few years ago I went to the Lost Coast in January. Fantastic trip, We had the whole campground to ourselves and the weather was perfect during the daytime. However, strong storms blew in every night. Even collapsing our tent one night(wish I was a hanger back then)

You know it could be useful if we posted climate types in this thread. You know for those of us that want a winter hang location that isn't too terribly cold. Just saying inquiring minds *might* want to know.

I can agree with that. The temps I would feel comfortable sleeping at would probably be mid thirties. My wife, however is a cold sleeper and she doesn't have as much insulating gear as I do, she could handle overnight lows around 45-50 degrees. Other than that, we can handle rain and we have good tarps/rain jackets.

Coastal climate is Koppen-Geiger class Csb and Sierras near The Dangler are generally Dsb.

For Armstrong Redwoods average January temperatures ranging from 35F/2C to 56F/13C and July temperatures from 45F/9C to 85F/28C. An inch in a day of rain is about right when it rains, though there's canopy above. The most rainfall in 24 hours was 8.40 inches (213 mm) on February 8, 1960.

Bring a functional tarp when you go to a rainforest.

I've found that on the coast it can rain even under the canopy! Hanging at point reyes a very foggy morning led to a steady drip most of the day from all the condensation on the trees.
Also, what good is a non-functional tarp?:rolleyes:

So many places to go from where you are. If you go 2-2.5 hours you'll be in the heart of the Sierras. I spent most winters in the Castle Peak area and a good amount of time in the summers around the Lake Tahoe area.

You mentioned CA mining history:

If you go to the south Yuba river there are trails that will lead to into the Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park (the site of what was once the world's largest hydraulic gold mine)

I did a trip in the Plumas national forest (Round Lake near Greenville, ca) this summer and camped not far from a working mine. Didn't know it until I heard the sound of machines starting up in the morning.

A bit further north in the Trinity Alps I often run into folks packing in horse loads of gold panning gear.

Have fun planning your trips and let us know where you end up going.

S

The trails around Castle Peak are great and offer many beautiful vistas. Although last time I was up there I took a wrong turn(Donner Loop trail signs and PCT signs look very similar when you're rushing your way down the trail trying to get to lost lake before sundown) By the time I realized my error it was nearly dusk and I decided to continue on rather than backtrack. Found a great spot though at the end of that trail. Just south of castle peak on the end of a small ridge. Anyways, about 1:30 am, I'm about to put out my campfire and head to my hennessey when I look over and not more than 5 feet away is a mountain lion standing there looking at me! :eek:Long story short I hit both the mtn lion and myself with my bear spray and luckily it ran off. I stayed up all night keeping the fire going and remaining vigilant. I come to find out when I get back to the trailhead in the morning that there supposedly is a lions den on the small outcropping just south of castle peak. Have you ever heard of this? the guy I was talking to said that there were probably 4 or 5 of them up there with me:scared:
This is another reason I posted this thread, because I haven't been out camping since and I'm looking for some inspiration and motivation to get back out there.

Desolation Wilderness is awesome during the warmer months and the coast is great for the winter. Welcome to Northern California there is no place equal.

I've been fishing in Wrights lake and Dark lake up near desolation but never hung in that area. Hung out in D.L. Bliss state park on the west side of lake tahoe. The moon was so close and big it seemed as though you could reach out and grab it! I'm loving northern ca! I grew up in Minnesota and have a great passion for the outdoors. I have always hiked, camped, fished as long as I can remember. I just discovered hammock camping a few years ago when researching lightweight solo shelters for a trip to Yosemite. [First time you see that tunnel view down Yosemite valley]=MIND BLOWN!

GnomeBuddy
01-05-2013, 00:09
Hi all, great thread! I just found this thread and wondered if anyone is still watching it. I and a friend just started to hang. And I want to do a first backpacking trip and also hang somewhere close to the SF area too. Getting cabin fever, but I am too chicken to try it in 35* weather. Ha, Ha. I have a my WBBB, superfly and TQ, UQs. Ready to go! Really like some of the spots suggested.

"If you drive Berreyessa Knoxville road between Clear Lake and Lake Berreyessa you will find a lot of hiking trails and open camping on all the BLM land in between. "

Is the BLM land near Berryeyessa easy to find camp spots?

THE DANGLER
01-05-2013, 01:47
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as well. Haven't been able to get out there for a while though and I'm gettin some cabin fever myself. There are plenty of spots good for hanging. On the blm website states dispersed camping is allowed. So all you have to do is find a trail and hike until you find a spot to your liking. Although, I don't think campfires are allowed outside of established fire rings. The spots I've camped at are all north of the lake because that's where all the trail access is.
If you're coming east from the bay area it would probably be best to find your way to hwy 128 going out of Napa. Take a left onto berreyessa Knoxville rd. And head north. Once you get a little past the north end of the lake you will see pull outs on both right and left of the road for trails. While I haven't explored all of them(there are a lot) I've had success in finding a spot on all that I've hiked. When are you thinking of going? We could maybe meet up. First Napa/northern Cali group hang? I would think even 2 forum members = group hang? It would be great to meet another forum member face to face.

GnomeBuddy
01-06-2013, 00:59
A Napa/NorCal Hang Sounds like fun. I did a first hang at the Solano Campgrounds with Gary the Saturday after Thanksgiving and had a great time. I'm out of shape and new to hiking so I'm up for a short hike in and then camp. The area above the lake looks very dry and barren. What is it like to hike and camp in? Any water sources?

THE DANGLER
01-06-2013, 08:12
A Napa/NorCal Hang Sounds like fun. I did a first hang at the Solano Campgrounds with Gary the Saturday after Thanksgiving and had a great time. I'm out of shape and new to hiking so I'm up for a short hike in and then camp. The area above the lake looks very dry and barren. What is it like to hike and camp in? Any water sources?

Water can be scarce depending on where exactly you decide to camp. Signage at the trail heads state that dispersed camping is allowed 1/4 mile off the road. You can bring a couple gallon jugs of water and leave them in your car while you set up camp and return for them as needed. There are also seasonal streams that flow in the winter time.

Here's a couple of my favorite pics I've taken out there.

First one is cold canyon loop trail, south of the dam. Hills are especially green in the spring months.

Second one is my favorite hang spot in my immediate area, pic taken whilst sitting in my hammock just after sunrise.

THE DANGLER
01-06-2013, 08:21
So what do you think of a meet up in the next couple weekends? I've just changed positions at work and will now have my weekends off:D I did a sleeping bag to underquilt mod last week and I'm itching to test it out outside! So I'll be going regardless:lol: If you're interested let me know PM or reply or whatever and I'll post or PM you directions and a map of how to get there.
And by the way, what do you think of lake solano? I've got some in-laws that live on the lake there.

GregB
01-06-2013, 18:47
I've recently had a transfer to another dept at work and after the new year I'll have every weekend off. This is great because my wife and I have mostly had conflicting schedules and now will have the opportunity to do some camping together.
So my question is, does anybody out there know of some good places to hang in Northern California? Summer and winter.
I live about 10 miles west of Sacramento.
Looking to hopefully drive less than 2-3 hours.
I don't have the gear for both of us to do much of any cold weather camping yet.
She prefers car camping and day hiking. Although she is not opposed to packing in a short hike to a developed site and day hiking from there. I myself love to hike and just camp off trail and don't mind high mileage days.

Also, I do enjoy learning about the history of the particular places I hike and camp. I know California has a very rich settler, mining and Native American history. So anything you guys might know about these particular places I would be very interested to hear about that as well.

I didn't see too many northern cali hangers listed on the HF google map but I know you're out there...

Hi Dangler: I live up hiway 80 past Auburn almost into Colfax. To get to one of my favorite places I go up the 80 and turn back on the 20. Turn right on Bowman lake road and go in about 8 miles. You can turn right on one of the dirt roads to either Grouse Ridge or Carr/Feeley lakes. It may be snowed in by now but I've been able to park off the side of the road before Fuller lake and snow hike in towards Lake Spaulding.

Here's a video of the Carr/Feeley lake area this past summer.
ZUuWnlqlnwc

If you continue up hiway 80 you can stop at Boreal and hike the PCT north or south.

Also, check a map and follow hiway 49 from Grass Valley up towards Downieville and Sierra City. The PCT goes right through there as well.

Right now the Tahoe Rim trail is snowed in but there's great info with nice maps here http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/ That's an awesome place to go in the late spring through about November.

GnomeBuddy
01-06-2013, 23:53
Hi Dangler: I live up hiway 80 past Auburn almost into Colfax. To get to one of my favorite places I go up the 80 and turn back on the 20. Turn right on Bowman lake road and go in about 8 miles. You can turn right on one of the dirt roads to either Grouse Ridge or Carr/Feeley lakes. It may be snowed in by now but I've been able to park off the side of the road before Fuller lake and snow hike in towards Lake Spaulding.

Right now the Tahoe Rim trail is snowed in but there's great info with nice maps here http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/ That's an awesome place to go in the late spring through about November.

GregB, Thanks for sharing your great video of Carr/Feeley lakes! It is a trip to aim for this summer.

Girotogo
01-07-2013, 13:48

I'm next door...Davis. During this time of year I go snow camping in Tahoe area. 6* was the lowest. I would also look at Henry Coe State Park. Never thought about Solano Park...are there trees to hang from?

GnomeBuddy
01-07-2013, 13:54
Solano has trees, some are big'uns they vary from site to site so drive around and pick the ones you like. Have you been hanging at Henry Coe?

Girotogo
01-07-2013, 23:23
I didn't use a hammock out there yet, but I heard there are trees out there. Don't remember exactly, but I heard Mahoney meadows comming up from Los Cuseros and then taking the lost spring trail has good trees.

Omerta925
03-18-2014, 17:44
I've done a fair amount of camping around Lake Berreyessa, beautiful countryside over there:D If you drive Berreyessa Knoxville road between Clear Lake and Lake Berreyessa you will find a lot of hiking trails and open camping on all the BLM land in between.

+1 on the north coast! A few years ago I went to the Lost Coast in January. Fantastic trip, We had the whole campground to ourselves and the weather was perfect during the daytime. However, strong storms blew in every night. Even collapsing our tent one night(wish I was a hanger back then)

I can agree with that. The temps I would feel comfortable sleeping at would probably be mid thirties. My wife, however is a cold sleeper and she doesn't have as much insulating gear as I do, she could handle overnight lows around 45-50 degrees. Other than that, we can handle rain and we have good tarps/rain jackets.

I've found that on the coast it can rain even under the canopy! Hanging at point reyes a very foggy morning led to a steady drip most of the day from all the condensation on the trees.
Also, what good is a non-functional tarp?:rolleyes:

The trails around Castle Peak are great and offer many beautiful vistas. Although last time I was up there I took a wrong turn(Donner Loop trail signs and PCT signs look very similar when you're rushing your way down the trail trying to get to lost lake before sundown) By the time I realized my error it was nearly dusk and I decided to continue on rather than backtrack. Found a great spot though at the end of that trail. Just south of castle peak on the end of a small ridge. Anyways, about 1:30 am, I'm about to put out my campfire and head to my hennessey when I look over and not more than 5 feet away is a mountain lion standing there looking at me! :eek:Long story short I hit both the mtn lion and myself with my bear spray and luckily it ran off. I stayed up all night keeping the fire going and remaining vigilant. I come to find out when I get back to the trailhead in the morning that there supposedly is a lions den on the small outcropping just south of castle peak. Have you ever heard of this? the guy I was talking to said that there were probably 4 or 5 of them up there with me:scared:
This is another reason I posted this thread, because I haven't been out camping since and I'm looking for some inspiration and motivation to get back out there.

I've been fishing in Wrights lake and Dark lake up near desolation but never hung in that area. Hung out in D.L. Bliss state park on the west side of lake tahoe. The moon was so close and big it seemed as though you could reach out and grab it! I'm loving northern ca! I grew up in Minnesota and have a great passion for the outdoors. I have always hiked, camped, fished as long as I can remember. I just discovered hammock camping a few years ago when researching lightweight solo shelters for a trip to Yosemite. [First time you see that tunnel view down Yosemite valley]=MIND BLOWN!

Dangler, im looking into a hiking the southern part of the Lost Coast in a few weeks. It sounds like you hiked it before. Im trying to get info about the possibility of hammocking there? are there much trees? im hoping someone out there has more info on this. thanks.

E.A.Y.
03-27-2014, 11:50
Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest is nice. Lake County. Drive and dump your stuff. Many fine trees.

And there's a hang there the first week of April this year. Link to trip planning thread in my sig.

doctor patches
03-30-2014, 21:53
I just camped at Samuel P Taylor State Park last weekend, it's in the grove of giant redwoods on Lagunitas Creek, near Petaluma. Great facilities for car camping, I only have backpacking gear so I just bring that with me and relax. Beware: extremely invasive raccoons will steal anything not buttoned up, so be cautious about leaving things out overnight.

Isomalt
08-18-2014, 10:21
Hopping in here many years late. I would love to come to any sort of NorCal group hang. I poked around in the forums and didn't see anything in this area. I currently live in Santa Cruz, but would go anywhere within ~5 hours to meetup with everyone.

E.A.Y.
08-19-2014, 03:36
You are in luck! Drive on up (is it more than 5 hours? no clue) to beautiful Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest the first weekend of October for Hang #5. The link is in my sig at the bottom of this post.

Isomalt
08-19-2014, 09:20
You are in luck! Drive on up (is it more than 5 hours? no clue) to beautiful Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest the first weekend of October for Hang #5. The link is in my sig at the bottom of this post.

Aww, one of 2 weekends in the next 2 months I have to attend a wedding. :(

Maybe I can convince my wife to come up to Boggs after the ceremony with me! :)

Allowishus
12-24-2014, 13:06
Anyone up for a Mendocino Coast hang?Maybe Jackson state forest,Usal or any other venue here on the coast.Would like to see if theres any interest for this area.

kormi
12-28-2014, 14:10
Gents... Glad to see Hangers from Nor-Cal... I live in Contra Costa County also looking for some places to camp and Hang. I am most interested in bringing my Boy ( Flat Coated Retriever )... he has his own hammock. :) Not a big hiker but can do a couple miles a day. I don't have an UQ so looking for weather above 45-50 if possible.
Just put up a hang in my back yard to test gear.

Bald Eagle
12-28-2014, 21:29
I'm in Vacaville. We moved here this past summer. Used to hang in Ohio with Forum members, and we attended MAHHA Spring Hang last spring in PA. Let us know if anyone plans a Hang out here. My three sons and I all have hammocks. Happy New Year!!

GnomeBuddy
12-29-2014, 12:04
I live in Concord. Good to hear from some hangers in this area! Kormi, those posts you're using for your backyard hang are awesome !! They look new, did you put them up just for your hammock? I did an overnight hang on my back deck when i first got my hammock. It was the best hang, I woke up and saw a shooting star, all from my backyard! I also back then didn't have an under quilt, I was using a foam camping pad I had and it worked OK. I'm up for doing a hang sometime soon!

Allowishus
01-02-2015, 10:21
Somebody pick a time and then a spot and lets hang! Looks like theres more then plenty willn souls to hang with here in norcal.Mendocino coast is my stomping grounds but i would like to explore some gold country before the heat kicks in this summer.

kormi
01-04-2015, 21:37
@ GnomeBuddy....YES put the post up just for hanging, last weekend... want to start hanging but want to make sure to test gear before I go out. Kaje ( my Flat Coat Retriever ) did not like his hammock to much...Wife thinks i'm nuts... I like it...get to try different suspension types and ridge line configs. Testing my cook stoves and water gear. I think i need a UQ. Next investment. In the mean time I will just hang in my backyard. Looking forward to hang soon...I would like a little warmer. Do u know if we can hang at Big Basin CG?

Thanks for the shout out GnomeBuddy.

backpacker_fan@tic
01-05-2015, 23:09
Hi there! Happy New Year to you all. This is my first post here and I am interested as well in meeting up with some fellow hangers. This will be my second time using a hammock. My first experience hanging was a backpacking trip I did last August in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. I didn't have an UQ then, but my gf just got me a Phoenix 20 for Christmas. I'm pretty excited to use it! I'm also planning on acquiring a Burrow 50 TQ.

SLCpod
01-06-2015, 02:26
Anyone up for Friday the 16th? Pretty lose to the date but I am sure we all have things we want to show off from Christmas.

backpacker_fan@tic
01-08-2015, 17:52
Anyone up for Friday the 16th? Pretty lose to the date but I am sure we all have things we want to show off from Christmas.

I could perhaps be able to do it around March and the coming months. It would be nice to test all those gears that we've received this past Christmas though. ;-)

SLCpod, how do you like your XLC? I'm planning on getting the regular WBBB sometime this year, I just need to get use to my HH first. Haha

kormi
01-08-2015, 22:01
March sounds like a pretty good time frame for me also. FYI.....Put up my Kelty Noah's 12x12 today in the backyard. going to hang tomorrow night. good time to try some pad / UQ solutions. I saw a guy in a video use a reflective tarp under his hammock... don't have the cash for a full blown UQ right now. My sleeping bag is a 20 degree... ha ha. Bust out my Biolight stove and make some mocha and top ramen.

garyg763
01-09-2015, 15:36
Pt. Reyes, Sky Camp,
is always nice if the weather cooperates.

backpacker_fan@tic
01-09-2015, 23:13
Pt. Reyes, Sky Camp,
is always nice if the weather cooperates.

I was actually looking into Point Reyes after I stumbled upon a youtube video where a guy did a backpacking trip in the same area. I asked him if there were trees around where I could hang a hammock, and he mentioned that Sky Camp had a bunch of them. So, thank you for verifying that. ;)

SLCpod
01-10-2015, 01:56
I could perhaps be able to do it around March and the coming months. It would be nice to test all those gears that we've received this past Christmas though. ;-)

SLCpod, how do you like your XLC? I'm planning on getting the regular WBBB sometime this year, I just need to get use to my HH first. Haha

The XLC has had limited use because it is still less than a year old. It has been comfy for the times I have laid in it. I really like my hennessy as well. It took a couple nights to get adjusted and tweaked to my liking but after that it was great.

I see that some were thinking March. Let's plan on it.

signguy
01-10-2015, 14:17
How about a west side central Sierra location sometime this Spring? I would come up from So Cal for a few days.

Bald Eagle
01-11-2015, 14:09
How about a west side central Sierra location sometime this Spring? I would come up from So Cal for a few days.

I am definitely in. March sounds great. My 14 year old son and I got some new Dutch Bling for Christmas that we are looking forward to hanging out with. Tomorrow I am sending my new Hennessy Ultralite Explorer to Donna at 2QZQ for a Zipper Mod, and when it comes back, I'm going to switch out the suspension for Whoopie Slings. I'm not much of a DIYer, but should be fun to try something new. Anyway, looking forward to some trips before we move to Utah this summer.:cool:

backpacker_fan@tic
01-12-2015, 08:47
I am definitely in. March sounds great. My 14 year old son and I got some new Dutch Bling for Christmas that we are looking forward to hanging out with. Tomorrow I am sending my new Hennessy Ultralite Explorer to Donna at 2QZQ for a Zipper Mod, and when it comes back, I'm going to switch out the suspension for Whoopie Slings. I'm not much of a DIYer, but should be fun to try something new. Anyway, looking forward to some trips before we move to Utah this summer.:cool:

I'm down to go as well. Just curious, have any of you tried to convert to a better suspension system? I've recently changed my stock suspension setup from Atlas straps with carabiners to Dutch cinch buckle system. I dropped a decent amount of weight, but ended up switching to a more wider tarp which added close to 10 ounces. My total setup not including UQ and TQ is about 4 lbs. Below is a partial breakdown of my hammock system. I'm curious if you guys are down to share the weight of your sleep system as well as this would give some of us ideas on how to shave weight on our hammock setup.

Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip with regular Asym tarp inside Snake Skins XL, 2 Atlas straps and 2 Black Diamond carabiners. Total wt: 61.85 oz.
NEW SYSTEM:
Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip Cinch buckle combo inside Snake Skins XL, 2 15' webbing straps dutch buckles with Snugpak 10'x10' All Weather Tarp, Dutchware Zing-it CRL system. Total wt: 71.05 oz.

** 9.2 oz difference but with a bigger tarp and no carabiners.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

SLCpod
01-13-2015, 02:01
If you are really being picky in weight I would suggest going to whoopies or a speed hook suspension. You could even get a double ended stuff sack and ditch the snakeskins. Personally I am okay with 4lbs if I have the setup I like. I carry the heavy hennessy hex and hate the weight but love the coverage and I don't have the cash for a lighter tarp that size.

backpacker_fan@tic
01-13-2015, 15:42
If you are really being picky in weight I would suggest going to whoopies or a speed hook suspension. You could even get a double ended stuff sack and ditch the snakeskins. Personally I am okay with 4lbs if I have the setup I like. I carry the heavy hennessy hex and hate the weight but love the coverage and I don't have the cash for a lighter tarp that size.

Not really that picky, it's just that I have a lumbar problem that's why I'm somewhat of a weight conscious. Lol I did a test run earlier with my Deuter Futura 32. All the stuff I will be using on a one night backpacking trip including water and food, I got my pack weight down to 20.4 lbs. I may just have to stick to the setup I have since it felt okay carrying that amount of weight around. I may even look into a double ended stuff sack like you recommended. Will also be looking into an Osprey Exos 48. I just can't get the thought of using my Aether 85 for a hammock backpacking trip. Lol Thanks for the input SLCpod! Hope to meet you in one of our future hangs.

signguy
01-14-2015, 09:57
Someone choose an area in the central Sierra and I will be there! I am down for a winter/snow trip or something lower on the mountain.
As for weight- I am generally in the 5# area minimum and as much as 9# for snow winter camping- but the Clark is a heavier hammock to start with... I did save a significant amount of weight going to Dutch-
Just purchased a BBxlc setup which should be lighter but don't have it yet.

Brien
01-14-2015, 17:49
I'd be interested in a early spring hang as well. I'm in Sac.

doctor patches
01-23-2015, 18:14
Do we have a date in march this will be happening? I'm in Sac and would be willing to hang with everyone too, depending on when. I already have a trip to the coastal redwoods scheduled for my birthday on the weekend of the 14th, but other than that let me know!

kormi
01-24-2015, 00:47
I think we are still working on a location and time frame. Unlike most of you guys I am not a big backpacker... My pack is for tactical three day outs. 45lbs. I still would enjoy hanging with the crowd if I don't have to hike too far. I started the hammock thing to do with my dog.

garyg763
01-24-2015, 00:52
Sounds good!

SLCpod
01-24-2015, 02:01
I think the weekend of the 14th would be great. I can't commit 100% yet due to school but it seems like a great idea.

backpacker_fan@tic
01-24-2015, 13:33
Do we have a date in march this will be happening? I'm in Sac and would be willing to hang with everyone too, depending on when. I already have a trip to the coastal redwoods scheduled for my birthday on the weekend of the 14th, but other than that let me know!

I'm down to do the weekend of the 14th as well. Doctor patches, it would be nice to celebrate a birthday with a fellow hanger unless it's weird inviting myself without an invitation. Lol! My birthday is actually In 3 days and I'm itching to go out and hang, but I could wait until March. If we can't go on the weekend of the 14th, don't forget to share your post hang trip along the coastal redwoods! ;)

GnomeBuddy
02-10-2015, 20:03
Does anyone know of a location?

doctor patches
02-12-2015, 10:04
I started a new thread on the specific topic of organizing a trip with some other NorCal hangers here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/105414-Group-backpacking-trip-in-NorCal), i'm not sure if that's redundant with this thread, if so we can ask a mod to maybe merge the two? I'd like to try and get out monthly for at least an overnight hang somewhere, but maybe starting a few "official HF hangs" for the west coast might be nice too.

Thoughts?

Girotogo
02-12-2015, 11:31
Great idea. I'm in for snow camping too..but there's no snow.

thierict
02-12-2015, 20:30
I have a few favorites depending on what mood I am in.

Kelly/Coit lake in Henry Coe gets the most visits for me since it's 1 hour drive away and I love to fish. Bass fishing here is spectacular.

kormi
02-13-2015, 00:09
I am almost ready to go....my New River just got shipped today. So far I have been hanging in my back yard. Would like to be included in the trips...I live in the East Bay Area ( Contra Costa ). Not big into 15 mile a day backpacking but 3-5 would be ok. Hope that does not take my out of the trips. Also would love to take my dog.

SLCpod
02-13-2015, 02:47
I am almost ready to go....my New River just got shipped today. So far I have been hanging in my back yard. Would like to be included in the trips...I live in the East Bay Area ( Contra Costa ). Not big into 15 mile a day backpacking but 3-5 would be ok. Hope that does not take my out of the trips. Also would love to take my dog.

How about just going to Tilden?

kormi
02-14-2015, 22:44
Play golf there... did not know you could hang overnight.... Very close :)

SLCpod
02-15-2015, 00:51
I actually went and hung at lake ansa yesterday. There are some over night camp spots that have some good pits and plenty of trees. You have to reserve the sites.

E.A.Y.
02-19-2015, 23:08
For those looking for a non-backpacking hang in northern california, I'm hosting the SIXTH Nor Cal hang at Boggs Mt State Demonstration Forest near Clearlake the 2nd weekend of April. See my sig line for a link to the thread.

garyg763
02-22-2015, 01:24
Great idea, count me in. I think hiking season is going to be early this year.