PDA

View Full Version : Dutch clips and 30 degree angle

jokerr
12-18-2012, 19:09
Looking at Dutch clips on store site it says Dutch clips are meant to be used only with hammocks that have a 30 degree angle or sag in the suspension. Why is that? I have a WB Ridgerunner with about a 20 degree hang angle. Does that mean I should not use Dutch clips?

Brute1100
12-18-2012, 19:22
It's probably a weight rating issue... Changing the hang angle from 30* to 20* changes the force applied upward significantly...

Dutch
12-18-2012, 19:49
The 30 degree angle is a good guideline and as Brute said at 20 degrees you are increasing he forces on your suspension. So if you wiegh close to the weigh limit and you hang at a 20 degree angle the clip could fail. However that is the loaded angle and it is pretty tough to have a loaded hammock with less than a 30 degree angle unless you are starting with it tight from tree to tree and the trees are prettt close together.

ibgary
12-18-2012, 20:22
There is a chart in the form somewhere that tells you the applied forces at different angles. The lower the angle the greater the force. It's a pretty steep curve.
The Ultimate Hang has a chart also.

30* 200lbs=173 lbs of force
20* 200lbs=275
15* 373
5* 114343513

swankfly
12-18-2012, 20:59
There is a chart in the form somewhere that tells you the applied forces at different angles. The lower the angle the greater the force. It's a pretty steep curve.
The Ultimate Hang has a chart also.

30* 200lbs=173 lbs of force
20* 200lbs=275
15* 373
5* 114343513

Freakin physics, only way a 200# person can end up weighing 1100# by changing the angle of the scale. I hate you Einstein...

Can't you figure out a way to make me weigh less?

swank

outdoorsguy
12-18-2012, 21:24
Looking at Dutch clips on store site it says Dutch clips are meant to be used only with hammocks that have a 30 degree angle or sag in the suspension. Why is that? I have a WB Ridgerunner with about a 20 degree hang angle. Does that mean I should not use Dutch clips?

I have a RR too and even though Brandon says to hang at about 25 deg., I hang at 30 deg. I know people hang their bridge hammocks at shallow angles for a flatter lay, but I wonder, have you tried hanging at 30? It does make a slight difference, not quite as tight, but it's not enough of a difference to take a chance on straining the heck out of my suspension. I want it to last a long time.

The thought of hearing a snap in the middle of the night and waking up with a headache on the ground creeps me out.

swankfly
12-18-2012, 21:40
So I now have 2 sets of quilt hangers, 2 Dutch hooks, 4 quilt hooks but no clips, if someone would send me some we could get to the bottom of this..

swank

gmcttr
12-18-2012, 22:34
...but no clips, if someone would send me some we could get to the bottom of this...

Dutch will trade clips for digits in cyberspace.:lol:

ibgary
12-18-2012, 22:37
No guts no glory.
I figure, when I was climbing I was taking falls of 10-40' and always went home. If I can't survive a two ft fall I deserve to die. Well deserve to die regardless.

jokerr
12-19-2012, 12:16
I think I was just looking for a reason to not buy Dutch clips. I know I don't need them but I want to have them anyway.

I use Stingers and Flyz with my tarp and they work perfect. Small and light

On my hammock I use a heavier and stronger setup just to feel secure.
One inch or two inch tree straps with a climbing rated biner then webbing to my RR. Simple and easy and my hammock straps never get dirt or sap.

I really don't think much about my hang angle, I'm over six feet so I put tree straps head high, adjust hammock for good sitting position and that makes the angle probably around 30 degrees.

I am going to buy the Dutch clips just to have. Maybe I will use them, maybe I will just play with them.

Acer
01-25-2013, 18:47
I think I was just looking for a reason to not buy Dutch clips. I know I don't need them but I want to have them anyway.

I use Stingers and Flyz with my tarp and they work perfect. Small and light

On my hammock I use a heavier and stronger setup just to feel secure.
One inch or two inch tree straps with a climbing rated biner then webbing to my RR. Simple and easy and my hammock straps never get dirt or sap.

I really don't think much about my hang angle, I'm over six feet so I put tree straps head high, adjust hammock for good sitting position and that makes the angle probably around 30 degrees.

I am going to buy the Dutch clips just to have. Maybe I will use them, maybe I will just play with them.

You have been hooked, line, and sinkered,,because when you buy just one thing off Dutch, your hooked into having more, and more,,and more,,Dutch Bling! No way either of beating the habit!!! :lol:

ninjahamockman
01-25-2013, 19:04
dutch clips are nice just for speed I have ENO SN I use his whoopie hook with a chain link (works really well) But to save weight and money I dont use a dutch clip because I can just run my suspension right the through the loop of the webbing.

solohh
07-12-2014, 17:24
No guts no glory.
I figure, when I was climbing I was taking falls of 10-40' and always went home. If I can't survive a two ft fall I deserve to die. Well deserve to die regardless.that's plain funny!

ibgary
07-16-2014, 22:32
You should have seen me climbing, that was really funny.
Well tomorrow I'm off on a one night trip to Wy. 11,000 ft with a 40* UQ. Wish me luck.

IRONFISH45
07-17-2014, 19:23
The 30 degree angle is a good guideline and as Brute said at 20 degrees you are increasing he forces on your suspension. So if you wiegh close to the weigh limit and you hang at a 20 degree angle the clip could fail. However that is the loaded angle and it is pretty tough to have a loaded hammock with less than a 30 degree angle unless you are starting with it tight from tree to tree and the trees are prettt close together.

I forgot the above fact. I have hung my hammock very close to the trees I am using for support. Thank you for the reminder. If I can rig up between two trees I do it, sometimes I just have a few inches between my hammock and the tree to work with. We have lots of trees, they just are not always spaced the right distance, closer works better than too far apart. I am short and sometimes I can not get the hammock hung high enough to get the position correct, so I use trees close together. I had better start thinking about what I am doing, since I am not a 90 pound carpenter's dream!