PDA

View Full Version : WB Travel Sock

gunner76
12-19-2012, 18:54
Went on a night hike and hang to use my new

Warbonnet Travel Sock Olive Brown

From Warbonnet Site...

The Travel Sock is our hammock sock designed to be used with the Blackbird and Traveler hammocks. A "sock", named after a tubular wind sock is a giant breathable fabric sack that the hammock hangs entirely inside of. It encloses the hammock and underquilt, and since it's enclosed it will generally be about 15-20 deg warmer compared to outside air temp. The Travel Sock is meant to be used mainly in cooler weather to protect the hammock and underquilt from wind and windblown moisture that might come in under the edge/ends of your tarp. The fabric is wind and water resistant, not waterproof. It will repel light moisture, but if conditions contain wet snow or moderate rain you'll still need a small tarp
Weight 9.3 oz

The 9.3 oz is the weight of the Travel Sock with the stuff sack per Bandon and may vary a bit.

On my scale I come up with the following....

9.5 oz / 270 grams with stuff sack

0.6 oz / 216 grams for the stuff stuff sack

8.9 oz for just the Travel Sock

The stuff sack that comes with the Sock is very high quality. It has a grosgrain tab with a metal grommet that the cord comes thru. First Class. It is also about twice as large as needed for storing the sock. For backpacking you can use a stuff sack about 1/3 to 1/4 the size the sock came with. Or you could just cram a bunch of other gear in the stuff sack with the sock. I made a separate stuff sack to use when backpacking.

Quality of the sewing is first class and just what one would expect from Warbonnet.

The ends use omni tape that can be opened for passing the hammock thru and then closing the ends back up. Opens to about 6 x 6 inches for passing the hammock thru. There is a small metal ring that you can use to attach the sock to the hammock suspension.

The zipper is about 87” long and is the same double slider found on the Blackbird.

The first night I planned to use the sock was a no go as it rained all that day and night. A few days later the weather forecast said the skies were clearing so I took off after work and headed for my local hiking trail for a night hike. Lows were suppose to be in the mid 30's with some wind and clear skies. Had a 2.5 mile hike in the dark which I have done many times in the past. The moon was brite enough that I did not need to use my headlamp until I encounter a section of trail under water from the rain. a By the way. If you have not done so, try hiking your favorite trail in the dark, its like hiking a different trail.

Gear Used...
BB 1.7 Double
WB Travel Sock
HammockGear Winter Palace 12 ft Cuben Tarp
HammockGear Phoenix 3/4 UQ 20 degree
Enlightened Equipment RevelationX TQ 0 degree
DIY Pillow
Whoopie Slings Single Line Tarp Ridge Line (uses a Knot Bone and a Nite Ize small Figure 9)

As I knew I would be setting up in the dark so I inserted my BB into the Sock at home to make set up at my camp site a little easier. Setting up my UQ was a bit of a challenge as I have not used the sock before so it took about a minute longer than normal to set it up. Set up my tarp using the Whoopie Slings tarp line which I found to be very easy to use.

Got my UQ in place and took some pictures and then made sure my pack and other loose gear was put away before getting into the hammock.

As the Sock totally encloses the hammock there is no way to use the BB side pull outs. This resulted in the sock pressing in against the BB Skeeter netting which I found to be a bit annoying and I solved the problem by throwing the skeeter netting over the hammock's ridge line. I will have to get some of Dutch's Clip On Tarp Pull Outs and see if they can be used with the sock to pull it out and away from the hammock. Figure that if I use the pull outs towards the bottom of the sock they should keep the sock pulled out and away from the hammock.

I did have a bit of trouble zipping up the sock in the dark as first I had to find the zipper pulls plus the fact my old back does not bend as it use to. Figure that using some zipper pulls with some yellow Zing It to contrast against the Sock material will solve that problem.

Once I had everything set up in the hammock I laid back and found that I could make out the moon thru the Sock and Cuben tarp. Nice.

The Cherry Point MCAS is close by and I was entertained by helicopters and jets flying overhead for several hours.

After a couple of hours I had to answer natures call. As I was also experiencing some CBS on one side so I check my UQ before I got back into the hammock. Before I got out of the hammock I had felt underneath and I could not feel anything out of place.
Once I was out of the hammock and could check out the UQ placement with my headlamp I found the UQ had not been set up properly and was only on one side of the hammock. I adjusted the UQ, climbed back in to the hammock, zipped up the sock and had instant warmth from the UQ. Asleep in minutes.

Finally got up in the AM as I had to answer natures call and make a doctors appointment.
Checked the temp and is was 36 degrees at 7:30 am. Did not have a thermometer in the hammock with me so I can not say how much if any temperature difference there was using sock. The only thing I can go by is that it felt colder once I opened the sock. Some scientific testing using thermometers inside the sock and outside will be needed to determined how effective the sock is in keeping it warmer inside the hammock.

In the morning I discovered what was tickling my nose all night. There were a few stray threads from the sock fabric dangling down in just the right spot and they were so fine I did not spot them with my light. A lighter will take care of that problem.

Hopefully I will be able to go out this weekend for another hang and another chance to test the sock.

breyman
12-19-2012, 19:07
Nice overview of the sock. I received mine recently and LOVE it. It'll be with me on a lot of trips where temps drop below 30 and/or when weight isn't as much of a factor.

Your experience with the bug net was similar to mine - pulling the whole thing back is definitely the way to go. If it's cold enough for the sock, bugs probably aren't an issue.

L84toff
12-19-2012, 21:39
Awesome, thanks for posting. I was just looking at them again on the site as they are on sale and was curious about more info. I'd be curious to see how much warmer it is in there.

We did a group hang here a few weeks ago and one of the guys brought one he made out of Egyptian cotton if I remember correctly and said it made it significantly warmer inside, although I don't recall exactly how much.

I'm tempted by Brandons offering. Of course my wife thinks we should just make our own.

jmoffatt
12-19-2012, 21:51
im tempted also my WBBB just shipped today...... may have to spring for a sock

TallPaul
12-19-2012, 22:24
Thanks for the write-up Gunner. I've been curious about the sock and this helped.

L.D. Cakes
12-19-2012, 22:33
I have the Multicam version and I am enjoying it thoroughly! I had the same issue with finding the zippers in the dark. So I put some glow in the dark pulls on them that came from Arrowhead Equipment.

Bubba
12-19-2012, 22:50
Thanks for the review. Been thinking about getting one.

breyman
12-19-2012, 22:55
Awesome, thanks for posting. I was just looking at them again on the site as they are on sale and was curious about more info. I'd be curious to see how much warmer it is in there.

We did a group hang here a few weeks ago and one of the guys brought one he made out of Egyptian cotton if I remember correctly and said it made it significantly warmer inside, although I don't recall exactly how much.

I'm tempted by Brandons offering. Of course my wife thinks we should just make our own.

Most report it is 10-15 degrees warmer, which is what I experienced. At the upper end of the range if you zip it all the way up. A little less if you have to unzip it a bit to add some ventilation to help control condensation in very humid or extra cold conditions.

mbiraman
12-19-2012, 22:58
Good review. Thanks

bill

Hoot
12-20-2012, 00:17
I was Eyeballing the Sock pretty Heavy Along with the Super Fly.

I think your review sealed the deal for me. Thanks for the write up!

Bubba
12-21-2012, 09:38
Decided to pick one up. Thanks again for the pics and review.

L84toff
12-21-2012, 10:01
Decided to pick one up. Thanks again for the pics and review.

ditto......

OneThing
12-21-2012, 10:23
Do you know off hand what the material is used to make the sock? I have a Hennessy, which is longer so I'm going to have to make one for my self.

Thanks

gunner76
12-22-2012, 18:32
Its some type of ripstop.

breyman
12-22-2012, 18:40
Do you know off hand what the material is used to make the sock? I have a Hennessy, which is longer so I'm going to have to make one for my self.

Thanks

1.1 DWR treated (but still breathable. Fabric. Seems about the same type and color as the 1.1 DL Blackbirds.

gunner76
12-23-2012, 14:43
Found that pesky loose fabric thread in my sock.

otter
12-30-2012, 07:16
got me one albout 2months ago looking forward to using it just not got cold around here yet.

jmoffatt
12-30-2012, 11:21
i ordered one as well

gunner76
12-30-2012, 16:06
Got some Dutch Gear Clip on Tarp pull outs that I will be using next weekend to see how they do at keeping the sides of the sock away from the hammock.

whazzzup
01-02-2013, 08:37
just to add to this just got back from 4 day hang and -15 to -20c these socks are the bomb had no problem with the cold or condensation as far as wind protection no problems there either i ordered two socks and had a duel zipper on one and the other had only one zipper other than that they worked awesome highly recommended if your planning to head out in the big freeze

breyman
01-02-2013, 09:28
just to add to this just got back from 4 day hang and -15 to -20c these socks are the bomb had no problem with the cold or condensation as far as wind protection no problems there either i ordered two socks and had a duel zipper on one and the other had only one zipper other than that they worked awesome highly recommended if your planning to head out in the big freeze

That's odd that you received that variation. Did you let Brandon at Warbonnet know?

Bubba
01-06-2013, 00:06
Received mine a few days ago but was only able to try it out in my basement tonight. It's amazing the warmth it adds. Really looking forward to testing it outdoors in some cold temps.

gunner76
01-06-2013, 13:19
I used my yesterday under very cold windy conditions and it did a great job of blacking that wind

jmoffatt
01-09-2013, 16:05
just got mine today can't wait to try it.

BlazeAway
02-10-2013, 03:00
Just ordered one in olive brown.

Jedediah300
02-11-2013, 23:30
Sweet, I want one. To bad I make most of my own gear. Bummer

BlazeAway
03-07-2013, 05:35
Got mine yesterday. Tried it last night.
Should have had one years ago.

Best,
Blaze

MAD777
03-07-2013, 09:52
Got mine yesterday. Tried it last night.
Should have had one years ago.

Best,
Blaze

These socks are evidently a "hot" item! ;)

Good to hear from you Blaze!!!

BlazeAway
03-08-2013, 02:45
These socks are evidently a "hot" item! ;)

Good to hear from you Blaze!!!

Hi Mad777.
I have not had an Internet connection since fall last year when I moved full time into my hammock. Though one is ordered and should be installed in my little shed together with electricity as soon as the frost is of the earth. Thus the lack of communication.

Has been hanging with the sock for my second night. What a miracle.

Best of wishes,
Blaze.

fuhgawee
03-08-2013, 16:36
Ya no kidding, good to hear from ya Blaze.

We need a video :D

Got a sock with the WBRR. Have only got down to 20f. I was surprised how well it blocks the wind from
robbing your heat. I'll leave the door slightly open at top for air movement. No condensation prob yet..
but imagine you would in the teens or colder. Figure I'll open the door more. Will still block some of the wind.

BlazeAway
03-09-2013, 02:57
Ya no kidding, good to hear from ya Blaze.

We need a video :D

Will do as soon as it is possible.

Third night in the sock. Still no condensation. Temperature around 1*C. Little hole in door for ventilation.

Weather forecast for coming days http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/regionaludsigten/fyn.htm

Best,
Blaze

BlazeAway
03-10-2013, 04:44
I managed to get a video up on the net by using a pc on the local library. Don't know if the quality is HD.

Anyway here you go,

Best,
Blaze

S7nUm8Go4fM

BlazeAway
03-11-2013, 03:01
Fifth night in Warbonnett Traveler Sock. -5*C. Moderate wind. Low air humidity. No condensation inside sock which I use with a small opening in zippers.
Simply love that sock. Huge improvement in my setup.:)

Best,
Blaze

gunner76
03-15-2013, 19:29
Great advice and good video.

gunner76
03-17-2013, 10:19
Spent the night in the woods last night. Took a indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote sensor. Normally I would only take this thermometer while car camping due to weight but figured it was too good of a chance to check out the temps inside my set up with the sock vrs the outside temps.

First problem I had was that it was very windy and dark which made deploying the sock a bit of a pain but I got it set up.

Set the remote sensor in side the trail shelter I hang close to and kept the main thermometer with me. Every time I woke up I would check the thermometer readings and it consistently showed that the temps inside the sock were 5+ degrees warmer than outside (plus the sock did a great job of blocking the wind.

Now the outside temps only got down to 50 but I figure that was still a pretty good test.

Cermichael
01-01-2014, 22:16
See Shugs video on how to use the zippers on the Traveler bug net. The same method will work for the sock. Btw, I don't use my bug net with the sock.

BlazeAway
01-05-2014, 03:16
Spent the night in the woods last night. Took a indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote sensor. Normally I would only take this thermometer while car camping due to weight but figured it was too good of a chance to check out the temps inside my set up with the sock vrs the outside temps.

First problem I had was that it was very windy and dark which made deploying the sock a bit of a pain but I got it set up.

Set the remote sensor in side the trail shelter I hang close to and kept the main thermometer with me. Every time I woke up I would check the thermometer readings and it consistently showed that the temps inside the sock were 5+ degrees warmer than outside (plus the sock did a great job of blocking the wind.

Now the outside temps only got down to 50 but I figure that was still a pretty good test.

I am now a bit more experienced in the use of the sock and I am still a huge proponent of its use. It is amazing how much it adds to ones comfort on a windy and cold night.

See Shugs video on how to use the zippers on the Traveler bug net. The same method will work for the sock. Btw, I don't use my bug net with the sock.

Depending on which season it is, I either use the bug net or the sock. Both are great pieces of gear.

Mumbles
01-06-2014, 00:41
Used my WB sock this weekend. Easily added 10-15 degrees. Temps down to 14 one night and 22 the other. Second night I was venting often.

farmer.ron.99
02-05-2014, 17:11
I recently bought one and really like it. I didn't have a thermometer setup inside but would say it was 10-15 deg F warmer inside the sock. It did add a little time to the hammock setup so I have changed the way I pack it up now. I just zip the sock shut with the hammock, TQ and UQ inside and pack it into my trash bag lined backpack. Works like a charm and the setup and tear down times are great.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/9enabete.jpg
Has anyone come up with a method to use the pull outs on the blackbird while in the sock?