PDA

View Full Version : REI garage sale

matthiastrek
12-21-2012, 22:00
Hey, its been a while since I've been on the forums, but I noticed that the REI in East Hanover is having its garage sale on Dec. 29th. I was planning to car camp in the parking lot or hang in the nearby woods near the store in order to get a frontrow spot. Anyone want to join me? There's gonna be some HUGE discounts on relatively new equipment.

Catavarie
12-22-2012, 01:56
Check their dumpsters after the sale. Sadly, REI throw away good used gears.

Good luck with the sale.

And here I thought my dumpster diving days were over. Now to figure out what days my local REI has there dumpster emptied. :laugh:

JohnSawyer
12-22-2012, 02:04
And here I thouht my dumpster diving days were over. Now to figure out what days my local REI has there dumpster emptied. :laugh:

I'm with you!

Who's in San Diego that wants to join me?

Brute1100
12-22-2012, 09:58
They are doing the same thing in san Antonio...

Rooster
12-22-2012, 10:23
Same thing in Greenville, SC and Charlotte, NC.

Pro Vagabond
12-22-2012, 16:07
Plymouth meeting (Pa.) also.

breyman
12-22-2012, 16:26
Yip, in Denver, it's always the last Saturday of the month. Usually busy, but good deals can be had. Especially after all the folks returning stuff from the holidays.

Oregon
12-22-2012, 18:05
Most, if not all, REI's have their "Garage Sale" event several times per month. Incredible deals to be found. The one I go to, Portland, will have it on Saturday & Sunday. Saturday's prices are already incredible but whatever doesn't sale on Saturday gets an extra 50% off for Sunday! What some do is find something they really want and take a chance, come back Sunday and basically steal it (read: for next to nothing). Some will even try to tuck it away somewhere in the sale area on Saturday hoping no one will find it. :rolleyes:

Just recently we scored a heck of a deal on a nice family car camping tent (REI Kingdom 4). Yes I said "tent" in the hammock forums....shoot me. ;) I even made a video of the deal we scored: http://youtu.be/B1-UHTWAEQg

Goofy I know but that's how I roll

Caribou Bentspoke
12-22-2012, 18:16
I'd hit that dumpster. My closest REI is in a neighborhood where there will already be people in the dumpster, not related to the sale.

matthiastrek
12-22-2012, 20:45
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many sales going on at once. The ones here only happen three or four times a year, so I make sure I go when I can. But I'm only talking about the REI in East Hanover, NJ. If no one wants to join me in person, you can always do it in spirit at your local REI.

Deadphans
12-26-2012, 16:50
Hmmm...I am headed up to Maine the 29th, but would love to check out the deals.

Do you have to be a member?

berksound
12-26-2012, 17:00
Mstrek that's my neck of the woods but I'm driving down to see Family in NC Friday night after work. That REI is the perfect place to go for garage sales, it's never overly crowded. I've missed every one there this year except one and I had an amazing score! Good luck!

matthiastrek
12-26-2012, 17:58
Hmmm...I am headed up to Maine the 29th, but would love to check out the deals.

Do you have to be a member?

Yep, but you don't need to be a member to check out what they have at the sale, and you can become one at the time of your purchase.

Lupus
12-26-2012, 18:18
Most, if not all, REI's have their "Garage Sale" event several times per month. Incredible deals to be found. The one I go to, Portland, will have it on Saturday & Sunday. Saturday's prices are already incredible but whatever doesn't sale on Saturday gets an extra 50% off for Sunday! What some do is find something they really want and take a chance, come back Sunday and basically steal it (read: for next to nothing). Some will even try to tuck it away somewhere in the sale area on Saturday hoping no one will find it. :rolleyes:

Just recently we scored a heck of a deal on a nice family car camping tent (REI Kingdom 4). Yes I said "tent" in the hammock forums....shoot me. ;) I even made a video of the deal we scored: http://youtu.be/B1-UHTWAEQg

Goofy I know but that's how I roll

Excellent deal. Well done sir.

Wish the REI was closer. The nearest one is 65 miles away. Through Atlanta traffic (read: not fun). I'll have to see if/when they are having their garage sale. If it is this weekend, I may talk the wife into making a trip out there under the pretense that she needs some new shoes. She almost exclusively wears Teva Sandals.

*edit*

It's a go. I have permission from the wife, and she said we should plan to get there early. WooHoo. . . here's hoping I find some great buys at a great price.

JakobW
12-26-2012, 18:34
I'll be at the Marlton NJ sale on saturday!

Jiffiboy
12-26-2012, 18:53
Wish we had REI in the uk

SkyPainter
12-27-2012, 13:11
All REI stores are having their big "Garage Sale" on the 29th. I was shopping there yesterday and the signs are up, and everyone in that long line was planning to go early!

I don't need anything..,.must...,maintain...control..,.must maintain...

~ Sky

Cali
12-27-2012, 13:30
I will have to see if I can talk the hubby into a trip to Atlanta this weekend. :woot:

Lupus
12-27-2012, 20:46
I will have to see if I can talk the hubby into a trip to Atlanta this weekend. :woot:

Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be the one with bags under his eyes cause I got up at 5:30 AM to leave by 6:30 AM to arrive by 8:00 AM so I could be in the door close to quick at 9:00 AM. :scared::lol::cool: