PDA

View Full Version : FL>Alexander Springs>Dec 29-Jan 1

Gumbo
12-24-2012, 15:53
Timberrr and I will be heading to Alexander Springs to ring in the New Year again this year. Anyone wanting to ring in the New Year in quiet reflection with good friends and good food is welcome to join us.

Bob Mac
12-25-2012, 09:00
I'm in Florida right now but Florida is an awful big state to try and find Alexander springs when it's not even on the map some guidance may help

lilricky
12-25-2012, 09:14
Googled it for ya! ;) (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lakecountyfl.gov%2Fhometown_h ighlights%2Falexander_springs.aspx&ei=o7TZUPz4Fo6s8QSYwYH4Cg&usg=AFQjCNEdY4C4Pli7BO_wcr46GlQdKVA66A&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU)

Gumbo
12-25-2012, 09:35
Sorry Bob Mac, I'm still getting used to the new naming conventions here. Alexander Springs is near the southern border of Ocala National Forest.

My husband and I often camp there with friends who do not like to primitive camp. What we like about the place it that the campsites offer a bit of seclusion and they don't have hook-ups for RVs, so the place never feels like a parking lot.

There are some some short hiking trails within the area and a trailhead nearby. The Florida Trail is only .5 miles away.

richtorfla
12-25-2012, 13:40
Are you all paddling?

Gumbo
12-25-2012, 19:40
Not planning on it, but anything is possible! Especially if someone else wanted to get a paddle in.

Bob Mac
12-25-2012, 19:53
I'm already there. I'm at a campground called big bass lake. Its on rt 42 .
leaving here tomorrow. Headed to the west side of the state. Will be over that way for a few days. Perhaps I'll venture back this way.

highlife
12-25-2012, 23:34
Aw man, i'd love to but i'm not home right now (orlando), i'm up north for the Holidays.

Y'all have fun!

MAD777
12-26-2012, 05:46
This sounds wonderful, Gumbo, but I have way too many "projects" to complete before the Florida Hang. :(

dchrismer
12-26-2012, 07:23
Alexander Springs is a great place! My son's Boy Scout patrol camped there in September and we loved it.

Wish I could make it.

kbajg
12-26-2012, 08:03
Timberrr and I will be heading to Alexander Springs to ring in the New Year again this year. Anyone wanting to ring in the New Year in quiet reflection with good friends and good food is welcome to join us.

Is this a hammock friendly area or are you tent or camper camping?

Gumbo
12-26-2012, 09:11
Very hammock friendly. It's a requirement for Timberrr and me.

I think of sleeping on the ground is practice for being homeless and I have no intentions of being homeless. Besides, I did that enough in my Army days.;)

Gumbo
12-26-2012, 09:14
This sounds wonderful, Gumbo, but I have way too many "projects" to complete before the Florida Hang. :(

Good man. Nice to see you have your priorities in order! I'm looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Gumbo
12-26-2012, 09:17
I'm already there. I'm at a campground called big bass lake. Its on rt 42 .
leaving here tomorrow. Headed to the west side of the state. Will be over that way for a few days. Perhaps I'll venture back this way.

Bob Mac,

Look for a PM with my contact info should you end up passing back through. Are you soloing it or with family/friends?

Gumbo
12-29-2012, 09:29
We will be heading out around noon today. Three hammockers, two tenters and four dogs. :scared: Today there is a 70 percent chance of rain, but by midnight that goes down to zero and remains that way for the remainder of the trip. Temp low tonight will be 36, with wind chill taking it into the 20's. Brrrr! It's gonna be a great time.

I'm bringing the DO's to try some new dishes since FH3 is just around the corner. I'll try to remember to get some pics for the trip report.